Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,150,333 members, 7,808,176 topics. Date: Thursday, 25 April 2024 at 08:09 AM

A Bill That Senior Secondary Teachers Should Take JAMB UTME Each Year, With 75% - Education (2) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Education / A Bill That Senior Secondary Teachers Should Take JAMB UTME Each Year, With 75% (1989 Views)

My Take: JAMB Need To Do Better With The QR Code On Their Result Slip. / Massive Opportunity In The UK - All Nigerian Teachers Should Read This Now!!! / 10 Tips To Score High In 2018 JAMB UTME (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: A Bill That Senior Secondary Teachers Should Take JAMB UTME Each Year, With 75% by Mrshape: 5:32pm On Mar 28, 2023
sisisioge:

I think I agree with this submission. It makes perfect sense. While it is good to have broad knowledge of your subject matter, it is essential for you to have a mastery of the one you teach per time.
Thanks for seeing the same picture I see. The truth is that change is difficult, people will complain, they even once complained that typewriter is better than computer in every aspect when they wanted to change the typewriters to computer in the federal and state ministries.
Re: A Bill That Senior Secondary Teachers Should Take JAMB UTME Each Year, With 75% by fashionnisir(f): 6:08pm On Mar 28, 2023
Mrshape:

If you read it well the promotion is available and renumeration is available, no be who progress them go increase he money,
And room for training is also there.

Mumu talk, it is only available in your write up, go and impliment it ,than come backwith your proposal.
Re: A Bill That Senior Secondary Teachers Should Take JAMB UTME Each Year, With 75% by Ge0grapher(m): 6:30pm On Mar 28, 2023
Mrshape:

Thanks for seeing the same picture I see. The truth is that change is difficult, people will complain, they even once complained that typewriter is better than computer in every aspect when they wanted to change the typewriters to computer in the federal and state ministries.

How much do you think they pay teachers in both private and public schools?? For you to talk about a pay slash? Are you normal?

To solve the problem of incompetent teachers, the school or recruiting body should do a better job in assessing candidates for teaching roles. I am a teacher, and I can state with all certainty that there is currently a shortage of teachers in the labour force. My school is still looking for a chemistry and physics teacher, they basically depend on per time teachers. And here you are talking about an annual assessment, who's gonna have the time for that?

Think, reason before putting ur opinions in public forums like this, so you don't sound silly. Alright?
Re: A Bill That Senior Secondary Teachers Should Take JAMB UTME Each Year, With 75% by Mrshape: 6:33pm On Mar 28, 2023
Ge0grapher:

How much do you think they pay teachers in both private and public schools?? For you to talk about a pay slash? Are you normal?

To solve the problem of incompetent teachers, the school or recruiting body should do a better job in assessing candidates for teaching roles. I am a teacher, and I can state with all certainty that there is currently a shortage of teachers in the labour force. My school is still looking for a chemistry and physics teacher, they basically depend on per time teachers. And here you are talking about an annual assessment, who's gonna have the time for that?

Think, reason before putting ur opinions in public forums like this, so you don't sound silly. Alright?
Are part time teachers not teacher?
It is better to use part time teacher for school than use someone without mastery of subject content.
Re: A Bill That Senior Secondary Teachers Should Take JAMB UTME Each Year, With 75% by Theunderman: 7:02pm On Mar 28, 2023
As if The person who is typing this would score that 75%, you talk like you are thinking from your nyash
Re: A Bill That Senior Secondary Teachers Should Take JAMB UTME Each Year, With 75% by 9japride(m): 7:25pm On Mar 28, 2023
@OP please what is your profession? A bill should also be passed for you to take the JAMB UTME yearly to determine your competence. What do think?
Re: A Bill That Senior Secondary Teachers Should Take JAMB UTME Each Year, With 75% by chimex38: 7:56pm On Mar 28, 2023
9japride:
@OP please what is your profession? A bill should also be passed for you to take the JAMB UTME yearly to determine your competence. What do think?
This op is involved in solving the most difficult set of Secondary class mathematics questions on this forum..
Especially the aspect of shapes as his name implies..
He's a professional teacher for decades, go through his thread.
Re: A Bill That Senior Secondary Teachers Should Take JAMB UTME Each Year, With 75% by chimex38: 7:59pm On Mar 28, 2023
Mrshape:

I get ur point but isn't that what the new initiative of TRCN is all about; where teachers take exam yearly or so?
Re: A Bill That Senior Secondary Teachers Should Take JAMB UTME Each Year, With 75% by Karlifate: 8:28pm On Mar 28, 2023
Mrshape:

This comparison is just dead.

Typewriter is an invention, not a Governmental policy.

At the advent of new inventions, especially Science & Technology, people will grumble before they eventually adapt to it. This situation varies, according to geographical location.

Now, you can't expect people in an underdeveloped country to easily adapt to a new policy, when they're still hustling for their daily bread.
They'll rather port to where they'll see quick cash, than saddle themselves with unprofitable work regulations.

They can still work around to adapt to new inventions. 5G is a good example of this.
Re: A Bill That Senior Secondary Teachers Should Take JAMB UTME Each Year, With 75% by Mrshape: 9:00pm On Mar 28, 2023
chimex38:

I get ur point but isn't that what the new initiative of TRCN is all about; where teachers take exam yearly or so?
TRCN is on teaching methods, imagine a chemistry teacher won't see one chemistry question in his TRCN examination?
that's not subject test
Re: A Bill That Senior Secondary Teachers Should Take JAMB UTME Each Year, With 75% by Mrshape: 9:03pm On Mar 28, 2023
Theunderman:
As if The person who is typing this would score that 75%, you talk like you are thinking from your nyash
Smile, as a professional teacher I can score 100% in my subject consecutively.
Taking the exam under same condition as my students
Re: A Bill That Senior Secondary Teachers Should Take JAMB UTME Each Year, With 75% by Mrshape: 9:07pm On Mar 28, 2023
Karlifate:

This comparison is just dead.

Typewriter is an invention, not a Governmental policy.

At the advent of new inventions, especially Science & Technology, people will grumble before they eventually adapt to it. This situation varies, according to geographical location.

Now, you can't expect people in an underdeveloped country to easily adapt to a new policy, when they're still hustling for their daily bread.
They'll rather port to where they'll see quick cash, than saddle themselves with unprofitable work regulations.

They can still work around to adapt to new inventions. 5G is a good example of this.
If teachers are not confident to students exam then they should not be seen close to where WAEC SSCE ANDGCE script are marked.
Re: A Bill That Senior Secondary Teachers Should Take JAMB UTME Each Year, With 75% by MangoBc: 9:15pm On Mar 28, 2023
[quote author=vvvbobby205 post=122117261]I guess doctors too will have to take yearly professional exams....[/quote
Re: A Bill That Senior Secondary Teachers Should Take JAMB UTME Each Year, With 75% by DeTribalisedCit: 9:18pm On Mar 28, 2023
I'm sorry to say but you're thinking in black and white.

A teacher is meant to have mastery of his subject; that is a given. But there is more to being a teacher than scoring 100% in an Exam.

Make no mistake, I'm not a dull person, I finished 2nd place in 2021 Lagos State NAPPS Teachers competition, which tests you in 3 - 4 different subjects. And I have in-depth knowledge in a number of subject, including Mathematics which I have a degree in. However, the purpose of learning isn't to show off.

However, the job is not to be a student, your job is to be a teacher. Students need to understand that it's okay to fail; at least they've learnt a way not to do what it is that they failed. It's okay to not be perfect; no one really is. It's necessary to keep improving and maintains growth mindset; there's always time to do better. The greater job is motivating students to believe in themselves; it shouldn't be about you; it's them first. How can you make them learn and build their confidence?
Re: A Bill That Senior Secondary Teachers Should Take JAMB UTME Each Year, With 75% by Karlifate: 9:41pm On Mar 28, 2023
Mrshape:

If teachers are not confident to students exam then they should not be seen close to where WAEC SSCE ANDGCE script are marked.

Then, take your opinion to the Ministries of Education (both Federal & that of your State).

Anything short of that, is just noise.

It will fade away, give it time. cheesy
Re: A Bill That Senior Secondary Teachers Should Take JAMB UTME Each Year, With 75% by Mrshape: 9:50pm On Mar 28, 2023
DeTribalisedCit:
I'm sorry to say but you're thinking in black and white.

A teacher is meant to have mastery of his subject; that is a given. But there is more to being a teacher than scoring 100% in an Exam.

Make no mistake, I'm not a dull person, I finished 2nd place in 2021 Lagos State NAPPS Teachers competition, which tests you in 3 - 4 different subjects. And I have in-depth knowledge in a number of subject, including Mathematics which I have a degree in. However, the purpose of learning isn't to show off.

However, the job is not to be a student, your job is to be a teacher. Students need to understand that it's okay to fail; at least they've learnt a way not to do what it is that they failed. It's okay to not be perfect; no one really is. It's necessary to keep improving and maintains growth mindset; there's always time to do better. The greater job is motivating students to believe in themselves; it shouldn't be about you; it's them first. How can you make them learn and build their confidence?
A teacher having 75% is the seeking for perfection? Is that too much?
If you are giving waec maths question you mean you can't get 38 out of 50 Questions correctly?
If failing 12 questions is not a room for mistakes for a teacher, then failing 36questions won't be bad for a student, you people don't know the extent of damage of the system.
Re: A Bill That Senior Secondary Teachers Should Take JAMB UTME Each Year, With 75% by 9japride(m): 2:36am On Mar 29, 2023
chimex38:

This op is involved in solving the most difficult set of Secondary class mathematics questions on this forum..
Especially the aspect of shapes as his name implies..
He's a professional teacher for decades, go through his thread.
[color=#006600][/color]

Agreed, but life is not all about mathematics. The issue we have in Nigeria is that most people in position of authority are not empathetic. That's why our wealthy guys and celebrates hardly give back to the society. They believe one has two hands like them and then they should be able to be successful like them too. But same those arrogant ones, when they have challenges they cry to churches, islamic centres, general public or family members for help. If one is very smart, he/she shouldn't expect others to be like that.
My solution is training and retraining of teachers in order to keep up with modern standards.
Re: A Bill That Senior Secondary Teachers Should Take JAMB UTME Each Year, With 75% by idu1(m): 4:51am On Mar 29, 2023
Nody too dey sweet too this boy. Because you sabi book abi wetin.
Re: A Bill That Senior Secondary Teachers Should Take JAMB UTME Each Year, With 75% by DeTribalisedCit: 5:52am On Mar 29, 2023
Mrshape:

A teacher having 75% is the seeking for perfection? Is that too much?
If you are giving waec maths question you mean you can't get 38 out of 50 Questions correctly?
If failing 12 questions is not a room for mistakes for a teacher, then failing 36questions won't be bad for a student, you people don't know the extent of damage of the system.

You're just on and about question, answer, score/ that's too black and white for me. Even the students don't need this 'black and white' in the game of life. I've even had students who thought differently in class; and some of their ideas were greater than I imagined at helping them learn the principles. Imagine if I had used all that time to 'prove' I was on top of my game; will I get these ideas? Will the students be motivated to explore and come to me with their 'new' discoveries?

Experience has taught me that it is not just the 'perfection' of a teacher in giving answers; but in communicating the right values to the student through the subject. That is to say, when you're teaching Maths for example, the real attributes you are teaching to the student are perseverance (keep at it until you get it), creativity (there are many solutions to a problem), rational thinking (something wrong cannot yield right), discipline (understand and keep to the rules no matter what), àmongst others. All of these require patience and intense concentration on the learners to achieve. We can't do this if the focus is on the end product.

So yeah, I think we're putting too much of an emphasis on the score. Anyone can be a very good student; anyone of any age; but I assure you, teachers are built different. Not everyone who scores high is meant to be a teacher. The psychological readiness is much more important; most times, that's all the drive a teacher needs.
Re: A Bill That Senior Secondary Teachers Should Take JAMB UTME Each Year, With 75% by emorse(m): 7:31am On Mar 29, 2023
Mrshape:

It is better we go for those that know it then train them how to teach,
Than go for those that don't know it.
My point is that, the problems in the education sector is much bigger than something a simple annual assessment can solve. As it stands gan sef, we don't have enough teachers. You now want to screen the few who are barely managing out? You'll leave a gaping hole behind o.

Not to say your idea is bad though, it's just not feasible at this time.
Re: A Bill That Senior Secondary Teachers Should Take JAMB UTME Each Year, With 75% by emorse(m): 7:36am On Mar 29, 2023
DeTribalisedCit:

You're just on and about question, answer, score/ that's too black and white for me. Even the students don't need this 'black and white' in the game of life. I've even had students who thought differently in class; and some of their ideas were greater than I imagined at helping them learn the principles. Imagine if I had used all that time to 'prove' I was on top of my game; will I get these ideas? Will the students be motivated to explore and come to me with their 'new' discoveries?

Experience has taught me that it is not just the 'perfection' of a teacher in giving answers; but in communicating the right values to the student through the subject. That is to say, when you're teaching Maths for example, the real attributes you are teaching to the student are perseverance (keep at it until you get it), creativity (there are many solutions to a problem), rational thinking (something wrong cannot yield right), discipline (understand and keep to the rules no matter what), àmongst others. All of these require patience and intense concentration on the learners to achieve. We can't do this if the focus is on the end product.

So yeah, I think we're putting too much of an emphasis on the score. Anyone can be a very good student; anyone of any age; but I assure you, teachers are built different. Not everyone who scores high is meant to be a teacher. The psychological readiness is much more important; most times, that's all the drive a teacher needs.
@ OP, this is what I meant when I said "its one thing to know a subject, it's another to be able to teach it". Thanks @DeTribalisedCit

1 Like

Re: A Bill That Senior Secondary Teachers Should Take JAMB UTME Each Year, With 75% by chimex38: 9:21am On Mar 29, 2023
DeTribalisedCit:

Aptly said...
Though it's much difficult to communicate these attributes over time to majority of students if one doesn't know the subject matter..
A saying credited to Einstein:
"No matter how hard , complicated or sophisticated a concept is, if u can't explain it to a 6yrs old understanding, u don't really understand it.. "
You as a teacher need to develop further methodology and these comes with grasping the subject matter

1 Like

Re: A Bill That Senior Secondary Teachers Should Take JAMB UTME Each Year, With 75% by Lingudy(m): 3:29pm On Mar 29, 2023
Isn't this too cruel and stressful. The path El rufai followed sometimes back

(1) (2) (Reply)

University Of Abuja,propose Supplementary List Cancelled. / Unilorin Post Ume Closing Date / Oredianeducationresources.com/myschool.com.ng....they Are All Scammer

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 63
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.