Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,150,479 members, 7,808,748 topics. Date: Thursday, 25 April 2024 at 04:17 PM

Why I Chose To Distance Myself From A Sibling - Family (4) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Family / Why I Chose To Distance Myself From A Sibling (38600 Views)

Selfish Sibling Willing To Do Anything To Solely Inherit / Can One Have 4 Cars Parked At Home And Still Have A Sibling Using Keke To Work? / Should I Distance Myself From My Family? (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10) ... (11) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: Why I Chose To Distance Myself From A Sibling by HaneefahRN(f): 9:48pm On Mar 31, 2023
SUFFERInSMILIIN:

Please do not judge somebody by how many years they have stayed in that country watch my YouTube video above this one. Let me explain to you one thing which happens in the developed world all the white people are doing is transferring their debts to the Blacks especially Nigerians. More than 65% of Nigerians in America are in massive debt. Going abroad does not mean you have gotten a golden opportunity I can tell you right now in developed countries 70% of Nigerians and bottom feeders. Specially in the employment ranking ranking.

Do you think 95 immigrant in America in income is a joke. Most Nigerians abroad and like people at home they just pulled themselves and be suffering

Thank you sir or ma. I still think as long as she has a valid visa and a good job in that Canada, she can do better for her parents if all what OP said is true and they have not been extorting her. She does not have to do for siblings.
I am familiar with how the abroad life and bills can be.
Na she know wetin dey do her where she is though. It is well

4 Likes

Re: Why I Chose To Distance Myself From A Sibling by GudPpleG8Nation(m): 9:50pm On Mar 31, 2023
ZIMDRILL:

in my workd you got a wrong mindset when it comes to raising kids

there is nothing called Sacrifice when it comes to raising your own children, its your duty both by nature and law, you can not sacrifice on something you are meant to be doing aka raising your own kids

the only people who deserve to use that word is those looking after othet people's kids yes they sacrifice there time and money becoz it wasnt there responsiblility

Kids are not investment why becoz they can have their own mind, your money and properties are the right investment they can
never have their own mind hence they will work according to your wish

Saying parents sacrificed is like giving yourself a medal for breathing, if you want to live you must breath so u can not give yoself a medal

Same with kids we bear, its our duty and responsibility no one else so dont congrats your self for something you are meant to be doing

the moment we accept that it is our duty to look after we children the better we dont see them as investments but just raising a human being and hoping that they will be better than you in achievement

We are poor becoz we confuse investment and responsibility of raising children. The two are totally different but most africans make them one thing

If all your kids die before you? when u viewed them as investment, a property will look after same with shares etc

Having the mindset of investment is wrong you will end up thinking that you are doing a favour to your children when in reality it is actually your duty and no one else
That means the moment a child clocks 18years old ( he's an adult legally and naturally) he should take responsibility for his or her education and needs so that the parents can also invest in their retirement plans.
You're entitled to your opinion but, sacrifices or not, we should care for the senior citizens amongst us not to talk of our parents.

6 Likes 1 Share

Re: Why I Chose To Distance Myself From A Sibling by Weallbloom: 9:53pm On Mar 31, 2023
"If you know that you are going to be useless to a family, let your parents know before hand so the money used in training/feeding you can be used for farming business which will despite bad weather bring returns than on a child who feels is not obligated to support the parents who supported you all through."
-- CosmicDust (Nairaland 2023).

8 Likes

Re: Why I Chose To Distance Myself From A Sibling by HaneefahRN(f): 9:53pm On Mar 31, 2023
like1:

The thing is, how sure are you she has a valid visa. How sure are you she has a job? how sure are you she is not still on students visa working 20 hours a week. How sure are you she doesn't have health challenges.

I already said 'as long as'. She could share her struggles with her parents whichever one she is closer to. If they are reasonable they would not expect from her too knowing she is still finding her feet and struggling.
Re: Why I Chose To Distance Myself From A Sibling by ZIMDRILL(m): 9:54pm On Mar 31, 2023
GudPpleG8Nation:

That means the moment a child clocks 18years old ( he's an adult legally and naturally) he should take responsibility for his or her education and needs so that the parents can also invest in their retirement plans.
You're entitled to your opinion but, sacrifices or not, we should care for the aged

Yes true, but remember while you are raising them in a good ecomomy and be wise ,you also put money aside to kick start their adult life

Have heard of young adults who get lump sum from grandparents when they reach 18 or 21, thats the idea to kick start their early adulthood

the same in african contest the youngest child in a family were other siblings are grown, given or his/her name appears on title deeds of the house, its a kick start in the event the parents pass away

2 Likes

Re: Why I Chose To Distance Myself From A Sibling by Octopusssy(f): 9:54pm On Mar 31, 2023
CosmicDust:

She was partly sponsored there to do a Masters Programme. Few months later she got a job in a financial company and has been doing that for 5 years. Please tell me how I will be doing better than her.
I am here. I have a barbing saloon with 2 barbers, I have my own car that I use for cab hailing. And every month I bring out at least 70k to support my parents from my earnings because of their condition. I still have a wife at home. And I am not complaining. Please the situation you may considering isn't what it is.
Na wa o. Me, I can sell the cloth off my back for my parents. The only thing I can't do for them is lay my life for them, and that is because they will lay theirs down for me before I have the chance.

Some people are just not givers. She is not going to change so just do your own part and the blessings of your aged parents will fill your life. Make una forget sey una get sister for Canada and try as much as possible to make life comfortable for your parents. Stagnant water does not absorb sunlight so leave her be . She will come to her senses one day

9 Likes 1 Share

Re: Why I Chose To Distance Myself From A Sibling by weslay: 9:55pm On Mar 31, 2023
To the young guys out there reading this abeg, plan for your retirement wella because somethings wen I dey read here still dey fear me

6 Likes

Re: Why I Chose To Distance Myself From A Sibling by lexilexi: 9:59pm On Mar 31, 2023
Same thing my elder sister does. She's been in the U.S for over 6 years but hadn't sent a pin to us here in naija. Tho I ve taken her out of my mind and I ain't expecting a dime from her

3 Likes

Re: Why I Chose To Distance Myself From A Sibling by frozen70(f): 10:00pm On Mar 31, 2023
CosmicDust:
Here is my story....

I have a 3 siblings and I am at odds with my eldest who is a lady. The way it is, I may never have a conversation with her again.

She was the first person to be invested in by my parents after which I came. Luckily enough, she was able to strike gold in her career and do well for herself. She went abroad for her masters with my parents supporting with half-payment. Unfortunately, whenever it came to family demands and helping the other younger siblings, she has either been negligent or grudgingly does so.

Few years after going abroad, she decided to lockup and sends only 40k home which is supposed to cater for food for a month.
Now parents are retired, the whole family weight falls on my following sibling and I. The youngest one education is on me. Happy she will finish soon. Parents need to be supported in challenging times, one is coping with diabetes and the other is with some challenging issues I can't say here. Their savings are being sapped by their needs to keep living on.

But my so-called elder sister based in Canada despite knowing their condition is silent. She still sends her peanuts, while I and my younger brother who is an upcoming fashion designer do 2X what she does. This aches our parents and sometimes makes our mother cry and our father rant with regret.

A time now came, our mum got admitted in the hospital. Condition was so salient that she had to be hospitalized for weeks. Hospital bill was 450k. The Canada-based first born doing a good job, who was always talking to her, praying with her on phone, etc only sent 100k. We the others did the rest. Glad mum is back at home but her heart is broken and has refused to talk with her. She's been in Canada for 5 years and has refused to even support any of her siblings to come abroad too.

My other siblings say because we all refuse to be dictated to by her is the reason for her behaviour. I don't care. Mine is that if you know that you are going to be useless to a family, let your parents know before hand so the money used in training/feeding you can be used for farming business which will despite bad weather bring returns than on a child who feels is not obligated to support the parents who supported you all through.

I think you people are expecting so much from her because she is in Canada

That she is abroad and she is not fort coming on your requests and expectations from her doesn't mean she has neglected her family

I will advise you guys to bear with her while you stop expecting much from her

No one knows her situation over there and if she is actually making progress

No child will love to see her parents suffering or stranded at old age

If you stop talking with her, it's OK but anytime she calls you, pick that call and listen to what she will be saying

Overseas are not really what we all think

4 Likes

Re: Why I Chose To Distance Myself From A Sibling by GudPpleG8Nation(m): 10:01pm On Mar 31, 2023
blackgold2018:
she might have not finished her masters sef. Or she never went to the school.

But one thing is sure that op sister might not be doing well the way he thinks

But op small brain can’t think that

Why insulting the op bro?

The lady in question is his blood sister which means he knows what he's saying. Did he complained about the lady not taking care of him? He is saying the lady is not taking responsibility on their parents.

No matter what she's doing in Canada, the first people to know what she's passing through is her parents, so for the parents to be angry with her means they know she's doing well.

6 Likes 1 Share

Re: Why I Chose To Distance Myself From A Sibling by BigDawsNet: 10:04pm On Mar 31, 2023
CosmicDust:
Here is my story....

I have a 3 siblings and I am at odds with my eldest who is a lady. The way it is, I may never have a conversation with her again.

She was the first person to be invested in by my parents after which I came. Luckily enough, she was able to strike gold in her career and do well for herself. She went abroad for her masters with my parents supporting with half-payment. Unfortunately, whenever it came to family demands and helping the other younger siblings, she has either been negligent or grudgingly does so.

Few years after going abroad, she decided to lockup and sends only 40k home which is supposed to cater for food for a month.
Now parents are retired, the whole family weight falls on my following sibling and I. The youngest one education is on me. Happy she will finish soon. Parents need to be supported in challenging times, one is coping with diabetes and the other is with some challenging issues I can't say here. Their savings are being sapped by their needs to keep living on.

But my so-called elder sister based in Canada despite knowing their condition is silent. She still sends her peanuts, while I and my younger brother who is an upcoming fashion designer do 2X what she does. This aches our parents and sometimes makes our mother cry and our father rant with regret.

A time now came, our mum got admitted in the hospital. Condition was so salient that she had to be hospitalized for weeks. Hospital bill was 450k. The Canada-based first born doing a good job, who was always talking to her, praying with her on phone, etc only sent 100k. We the others did the rest. Glad mum is back at home but her heart is broken and has refused to talk with her. She's been in Canada for 5 years and has refused to even support any of her siblings to come abroad too.

My other siblings say because we all refuse to be dictated to by her is the reason for her behaviour. I don't care. Mine is that if you know that you are going to be useless to a family, let your parents know before hand so the money used in training/feeding you can be used for farming business which will despite bad weather bring returns than on a child who feels is not obligated to support the parents who supported you all through.

I really don't want to comment on this but I understand what you going tru and I had to say a little few things...

Before I moved to the states.... I have uncle we share the same surname... they are more than family... they are British citizens but this people only gave me 2k.. since hav recognised them as family... one of them will even send merry Christmas message to you... and wait to reply or message you again in the next year Christmas... if u like message him till repture shows... he will never reply.. the same uncle will say.. me I no get shi shi to carry u come abroad... while people dat knew him knows how successful dis man his over there... so it was clear.. he doesn't wanna help...

He was Suprised when I called him and luckly he picked.. WhatsApp video, I said "Uncle I'm now in the States" he dint believe it... he was fake_smiling and that was the last day we had a conversation...

So the point of the matter is that, Elder sister or not.. if she doesn't wanna help you guys... that should not be the end of everything... let me tell u... if ur sis no dey Canada... you go reach ur destination in life oh bro..

So pls don't think about it... just manage and take care of your self and ur mum, with ur junior one... belive in God! Pray and work hard...

One day! Almighty God will settle your case! Trust yourself and trust God...

Pls don't fight her and don't neglect her.. just keep pushing for ur own hustle and career, and I can tell you... one day you will smile...

Finally, we dint hear from ur sis side... truly she may be struggling... Canada is not like US where you can just get a good job without a visa or degree.. it's a land of opportunity... the country is to big to monitor who no get status...

But in Canada.. if one or two paper no complete... the person go see shege oh.. that's how Canada system works... so pls confirm if shes on citizenship or PR without any issue... she may be going tru things she can't tell u guys... so pls think abt it in dat angle

God bless you

6 Likes

Re: Why I Chose To Distance Myself From A Sibling by CosmicDust: 10:07pm On Mar 31, 2023
9japride:
Though she might be struggling. Or may be she has a skull to settle with your parents. Nobody should mentioned that statement that says 'nobody owes anyone'. If one should follow that statement, it then means if that selfish person is sick, nobody owes him/her nothing too. Life is simple, it's only the wicked ones that finds excuses for their wicked acts.

Your last statement is more than true sir

3 Likes

Re: Why I Chose To Distance Myself From A Sibling by CosmicDust: 10:08pm On Mar 31, 2023
EkoErrands:

You 2 must have duped her b4

Negative. By the way, the case here is on helping the parents.
Re: Why I Chose To Distance Myself From A Sibling by lilyheaven: 10:09pm On Mar 31, 2023
Please don’t stay child free, your case maybe different
Klass99:

Please ehn, when it comes to your parents remove your eyes from the sibling who is not performing or under-performing and do your best for your parents, while they are alive.

I am not impressed by your sister either but I don't want to dwell on her too much, because I don't have the full picture of her life in Canada, she may or may not be struggling financially.....

However, I hate nonsense and stupidity when it comes to aged parents who deserve better but don't get better, from selfish offspring they gave birth to. Children like your sister are one of the reasons I am staying child free for life.

Re: Why I Chose To Distance Myself From A Sibling by CosmicDust: 10:10pm On Mar 31, 2023
akinade28:
Some people living abroad are oblivious of the current living cost in Nigeria. They assume everything is cheap and don't factor in inflation.

Earlier this year, my mum's friend (Mrs E) living in the UK, complainined to her that her own mom was always requesting for extra money. Mrs E assumed the monthly allowance she gives her aged mom should be more than enough than to meet her needs. She was suspecting foul play from her mom's caregivers and her siblings. My mom had to explain the present situation of things in the country and the inform her of the current price of regular household items. Then, Mrs E could understand the reason why she need her mom more money.

My brother, your kind heart towards your parents is commendable. I will suggest you get someone your sister listen to or respects to explain the situation of things to her. Maybe she will see the need to send more money to her parent.

However, if she refuse to change, stop expecting any money from her. Leave her to her conscience. Just assume you and your younger sibling are the only kids your parents have. This is will save you from any unnecessary anger, worries, anxiety or bitterness towards your sister. See any financial support from her as extra money.

Pray that God will bless the work of your hands, so that you can have more than enough to give your parents the best they deserve. The harsh truth is that if you were the only child or any of your siblings dies today, you have will have no choice than to take care of your parent alone. It is better to carry your cross joyfully and leave your siblings to their conscience.

May the good God continue to bless you and increase the work of your hands.

Thanks so much for this. ,👍🏾

1 Like

Re: Why I Chose To Distance Myself From A Sibling by CosmicDust: 10:12pm On Mar 31, 2023
Skybleu:
My dear, do whatever gives YOU joy. Don't live your life for anyone else

For my mum and dad, i will sacrifice for them. Seems you must have lived a loveless life.

1 Like

Re: Why I Chose To Distance Myself From A Sibling by Allisgud: 10:12pm On Mar 31, 2023
Ever Since I saw Nigerians sleeping on cartons under bridge abroad,I stop disturbing my uncle for money,cos I don't even know if he is homeless also

3 Likes

Re: Why I Chose To Distance Myself From A Sibling by CosmicDust: 10:14pm On Mar 31, 2023
oluwaseyi0:

Shut up and let your sister rest, before you people will push her into depression

if e easy to just clean yansh for canada why you no go? entitled fellows

the young lady is probably struggling over their in Canada with no one to even rely on yet you people are talking trash in Nigeria and imagining her to be richer than Dangote

You must have had a very disturbed childhood with parental absence. Hence everything i wrote makes no sense to you.

1 Like

Re: Why I Chose To Distance Myself From A Sibling by intruder15(m): 10:15pm On Mar 31, 2023
Darammliveth:

This is really sad.
People usually say female child are always the most supportive when it comes to their parent need compare to the male child.

Same here o. The matter shock me.
Re: Why I Chose To Distance Myself From A Sibling by RPG2020(m): 10:17pm On Mar 31, 2023
OP delete her sharp sharp no dulling who wan help person no dey stress person

i deleted mine 10 years ago still counting grin

3 Likes

Re: Why I Chose To Distance Myself From A Sibling by CosmicDust: 10:17pm On Mar 31, 2023
Mumusaphire:
u don't need to abuse before u bring out point na. Be mature. U come carry another family matter for head like gala.

I have learnt that Evil people always look for an excuse to defend their deeds. That guy is not someone to meet.

1 Like

Re: Why I Chose To Distance Myself From A Sibling by webbman90: 10:18pm On Mar 31, 2023
LikeAking:

Somebody with Masters degree in Canada, can't be struggling..

She is using her money, her way..

Bros someone with PHD in Canada can be struggling. I have seen a lot of them. The truth is going to Canada doesn't guarantee success nah GRACE. Am sure she's paying bills here and there. Even if I check myself to be sincere, there is no even $55 to send back home. If I do send it's because I want to increase my indebtedness. I think you should take a chill pill. Her QBESE fit pass wetin you dey think.

2 Likes

Re: Why I Chose To Distance Myself From A Sibling by Klass99(f): 10:19pm On Mar 31, 2023

2 Likes

Re: Why I Chose To Distance Myself From A Sibling by Clash01: 10:19pm On Mar 31, 2023
xavuv:
What makes you think she's doing well for herself, Because she says so? Or you think so? ...She may just be hyping herself unnecessarily. Abroad is not a land flowing with milk and honey.

One useless uncle spotted.

2 Likes 1 Share

Re: Why I Chose To Distance Myself From A Sibling by Oboto700(m): 10:21pm On Mar 31, 2023
xavuv:
What makes you think she's doing well for herself, Because she says so? Or you think so? ...She may just be hyping herself unnecessarily. Abroad is not a land flowing with milk and honey.
keep quiet.. you think working abroad is like here in Nigeria? His sister is being wicked

3 Likes 1 Share

Re: Why I Chose To Distance Myself From A Sibling by CosmicDust: 10:22pm On Mar 31, 2023
like1:

If this is not entitlement mentality I don't know what is it. OP do what you can do for your parents without complaining. No dey look your older sister. If you no fit too, lock up too and stop being a baby.

Your sister sends 40k monthly, she is already trying. You re calculating how much is 40k in Canadian dollars. You are even expecting your sister who has spent only 5 years in Canada to be able to have enough money to bring you abroad. If your sister id actually who you say she is, it is obvious entitlement mentality from your side is a major factor to the way she behaves.

Because there is nothing she ever does that will be appreciated.

Moreover, do you know her burdens in Canada, have you tried to inquire? Does she work as a student? 20 hours a week? Has she overstayed her visa and not able to renew and now staying illegally? What is her status in Canada.

I'm saying she's not helping her parents and your very intelligent brains interpretes it as entitlement mentality. Hope you are of no use to your parents like she is.

2 Likes

Re: Why I Chose To Distance Myself From A Sibling by Nyanabo(m): 10:22pm On Mar 31, 2023
Have you taken time to know how your sister is really doing over there and not so arrogating 'doing very well' to her? There may be more to this story from her end. And I refuse to judge her without hearing from her.

Talk to her before coming to such conclusion. After doing that then you actions would be justified. Life is also hard for people over there so kiny not just assume.

2 Likes

Re: Why I Chose To Distance Myself From A Sibling by intruder15(m): 10:23pm On Mar 31, 2023
xavuv:

Let's be real with our analysis. The minimum wage in Canada is about 15 dollars per hour (120 dollars per 8hrs) which is about 55,000 naira. What this means is that even if she is a cleaner or dish washer, she will make 55k naira equivalence in a day.

The OP said she went there for Masters. The worst scenario is that she didn't graduate. Meaning that she will still earn something reasonable as a BSC holder.

Guy, no matter how you want check am, the sister de Bleep up big time.

The OP should also lower their expectations. Nobody owe one anything.

5 Likes

Re: Why I Chose To Distance Myself From A Sibling by Truthshotcrazy: 10:24pm On Mar 31, 2023
embarassed
Re: Why I Chose To Distance Myself From A Sibling by CosmicDust: 10:24pm On Mar 31, 2023
like1:

See mumu, you have a wife at home but your older sister is not married but u think she is doing better than you. Na your sister fit una.

If you can't give a constructive contribution, it'll be better you keep mute than be a repugnant nuisance.

1 Like

Re: Why I Chose To Distance Myself From A Sibling by ZIMDRILL(m): 10:25pm On Mar 31, 2023
SUFFERInSMILIIN:

Please do not judge somebody by how many years they have stayed in that country watch my YouTube video above this one. Let me explain to you one thing which happens in the developed world all the white people are doing is transferring their debts to the Blacks especially Nigerians. More than 65% of Nigerians in America are in massive debt. Going abroad does not mean you have gotten a golden opportunity I can tell you right now in developed countries 70% of Nigerians and bottom feeders. Specially in the employment ranking ranking.

Do you think 95 immigrant in America in income is a joke. Most Nigerians abroad and like people at home they just pulled themselves and be suffering

how does a white man's debt is transfered to a black nigerian

The main issue people, travel with wrong visa and they get stuck. People make the mistake to be just in US or UK without the right visa, once there are in reality hits you stopped to progress becoz not having papers, you cant hustle like what you do in your home country, the end, you end up picking jobs that are not liked by locals and worse you are underpaid with long working hours if not with 2 or 3 jobs to makes up average weekly working hours

Aslong you are in foreign land and illegal especially the west world your bound for low paying jobs, How does a white debt end up being a nigerian man/woman debt?

illegal immigrants are cheap labout

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10) ... (11) (Reply)

Should I Help Her Or Chase Her Out Of My House? / My Wife And Her Family Are Driving Me crazy / What Is The Meaning Of 'dada' (dreadlocks) In Nigeria?

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 95
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.