Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,150,337 members, 7,808,187 topics. Date: Thursday, 25 April 2024 at 08:19 AM

Was The Theif On The Cross Saved Because He Worked For It? - Religion (2) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Religion / Was The Theif On The Cross Saved Because He Worked For It? (774 Views)

The Theif In John 10:10 Is Not Satan / ⚫⚫ Once saved externally saved because God does not make mistakes / I Practised Christianity For 30 Years; Black Magic For 9 Years, But None Worked (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: Was The Theif On The Cross Saved Because He Worked For It? by Steep: 2:45pm On Apr 09, 2023
OkCornel:
The thief on the cross genuinely repented (had a change of heart), believed in Christ and defended the truth about Christ, he did not deny Christ (see how he rebuked the other thief)

If you think he died a hardened sinner, the joke is on you.

There’s no space in the kingdom for those who do not genuinely repent and identify with the truth.

God cannot be mocked.

Matthew 10 v 32-33;

32 “Everyone who acknowledges me publicly here on earth, I will also acknowledge before my Father in heaven.

33 But everyone who denies me here on earth, I will also deny before my Father in heaven.
Those who deny Jesus don't have salvation in the first place.
To have salvation is by faith only.

1 Like

Re: Was The Theif On The Cross Saved Because He Worked For It? by delkuf(m): 2:58pm On Apr 09, 2023
MaxInDHouse:

You misunderstood Paul here! smiley
Salvation is not without WORKS of FAITH! James 2:18-26

That thief WORKED for his salvation by voicing out as in preaching for Christ! Romans 10:10

Remember that both of them had faith in Jesus' ability to save but only one preached! smiley
maxi stop spewing nuisance. The thief was save because of grace. He never worked for it. It was few hours to his death. How possible would he have worked for it

2 Likes

Re: Was The Theif On The Cross Saved Because He Worked For It? by OkCornel(m): 3:17pm On Apr 09, 2023
Steep:
Those who deny Jesus don't have salvation in the first place.
To have salvation is by faith only.

If there’s no repentance, belief is insufficient.

Read up the story of Simon the sorcerer in Acts 8.

He believed in Christ, was baptised by water, yet was scolded by Peter. Because his heart was not right with God.

1 Like

Re: Was The Theif On The Cross Saved Because He Worked For It? by OkCornel(m): 3:20pm On Apr 09, 2023
delkuf:
maxi stop spewing nuisance. The thief was save because of grace. He never worked for it. It was few hours to his death. How possible would he have worked for it

The thief genuinely repented (a change of heart), identified with Christ and publicly acknowledged Christ (see how he scolded the other thief mocking Christ - in the presence of the Roman soldiers and other onlookers)

Matthew 10 v 32-33;

32 “Everyone who acknowledges me publicly here on earth, I will also acknowledge before my Father in heaven.

33 But everyone who denies me here on earth, I will also deny before my Father in heaven.

Luke 23 v 35-43;
35 The people stood watching, and the rulers even sneered at him. They said, “He saved others; let him save himself if he is God’s Messiah, the Chosen One.”

36 The soldiers also came up and mocked him.
They offered him wine vinegar

37 and said, “If you are the king of the Jews, save yourself.”

38 There was a written notice above him, which read: this is the king of the jews.

39 One of the criminals who hung there hurled insults at him: “Aren’t you the Messiah? Save yourself and us!”

40 But the other criminal rebuked him. “Don’t you fear God,” he said, “since you are under the same sentence?

41 We are punished justly, for we are getting what our deeds deserve. But this man has done nothing wrong.”

42 Then he said, “Jesus, remember me when you come into your kingdom.”

43 Jesus answered him, “Truly I tell you, today you will be with me in paradise.”
Re: Was The Theif On The Cross Saved Because He Worked For It? by delkuf(m): 3:26pm On Apr 09, 2023
OkCornel:

The thief genuinely repented (a change of heart), identified with Christ and publicly acknowledged Christ (see how he scolded the other thief mocking Christ - in the presence of the Roman soldiers and other onlookers)

Matthew 10 v 32-33;

How did he genuinely repent. So the change of heart he had was by his don't doing. That shows he worked for it. Do really know what it means to work for something.
Re: Was The Theif On The Cross Saved Because He Worked For It? by OkCornel(m): 3:31pm On Apr 09, 2023
delkuf:
How did he genuinely repent. So the change of heart he had was by his don't doing. That shows he worked for it. Do really know what it means to work for something.

Read Matthew 10 v 32-33 and Luke 23 v 35-43 slowly. You’ll see what that thief did.

Everyone has the Grace of God to repent. However, THE CHOICE TO REPENT is entirely the responsibility of that individual.
Re: Was The Theif On The Cross Saved Because He Worked For It? by delkuf(m): 3:34pm On Apr 09, 2023
OkCornel:

Read Matthew 10 v 32-33 and Luke 23 v 35-43 slowly. You’ll see what that thief did.

Everyone has the Grace of God to repent. However, THE CHOICE TO REPENT is entirely the responsibility of that individual.
not everyone that have the grace of God. It is only those that believe in the Lord Jesus Christ that have the grace of God. The thief on the cross was save by grace not by work
Re: Was The Theif On The Cross Saved Because He Worked For It? by OkCornel(m): 3:37pm On Apr 09, 2023
Interesting observation though…

Matthew and Mark’s account stated both thieves mocked Christ.

Luke’s account stated one mocked Christ.

John’s account was silent on the matter.

Anyone care to explain?
Re: Was The Theif On The Cross Saved Because He Worked For It? by OkCornel(m): 3:41pm On Apr 09, 2023
delkuf:
not everyone that have the grace of God. It is only those that believe in the Lord Jesus Christ that have the grace of God. The thief on the cross was save by grace not by work

Kindly explain Acts 17 v 30 please. I have more verses coming up;

30 In the past God overlooked such ignorance, but now he commands all people everywhere to repent
Re: Was The Theif On The Cross Saved Because He Worked For It? by OkCornel(m): 3:44pm On Apr 09, 2023
delkuf:

Romans 1 v 4-6;
4 and who through the Spirit of holiness was appointed the Son of God in power by his resurrection from the dead: Jesus Christ our Lord.
5 Through him we received grace and apostleship to call all the Gentiles to the obedience that comes from faith for his name’s sake.
6 And you also are among those Gentiles who are called to belong to Jesus Christ.

Romans 2 v 4;
4 Or do you show contempt for the riches of his kindness, forbearance and patience, not realizing that God’s kindness is intended to lead you to repentance?
Re: Was The Theif On The Cross Saved Because He Worked For It? by delkuf(m): 3:46pm On Apr 09, 2023
OkCornel:

Kindly explain Acts 17 v 30 please. I have more verses coming up;

30 In the past God overlooked such ignorance, but now he commands all people everywhere to repent

pls explain what it means to repent
Re: Was The Theif On The Cross Saved Because He Worked For It? by delkuf(m): 3:47pm On Apr 09, 2023
OkCornel:

Romans 1 v 4-6;
4 and who through the Spirit of holiness was appointed the Son of God in power by his resurrection from the dead: Jesus Christ our Lord.
5 Through him we received grace and apostleship to call all the Gentiles to the obedience that comes from faith for his name’s sake.
6 And you also are among those Gentiles who are called to belong to Jesus Christ.
pls let me know your point. What are you really arguing about
Re: Was The Theif On The Cross Saved Because He Worked For It? by OkCornel(m): 3:49pm On Apr 09, 2023
delkuf:
pls explain what it means to repent

Repentance (Teshuva in Hebrew)

To have a change of heart and return to the ways of the most high.

Read up:
https://firmisrael.org/learn/what-did-jesus-mean-by-repent-the-hebrew-meaning-of-teshuva/
Re: Was The Theif On The Cross Saved Because He Worked For It? by OkCornel(m): 3:51pm On Apr 09, 2023
delkuf:
pls let me know your point. What are you really arguing about

You said not everyone has grace, and I disagree with that.

God’s grace is given to everyone to repent. Acts 17 v 30, Romans 1 v 4-6 and Romans 2 v 4 amongst many other verses in the old and New Testament suggests otherwise.

The choice to repent or to continue in sin is up to the individual.
Re: Was The Theif On The Cross Saved Because He Worked For It? by OkCornel(m): 3:51pm On Apr 09, 2023
OkCornel:

Matthew and Mark’s account stated both thieves mocked Christ.

Luke’s account stated one mocked Christ.

John’s account was silent on the matter.

Anyone care to explain?

Answers to this please.
Re: Was The Theif On The Cross Saved Because He Worked For It? by Steep: 4:03pm On Apr 09, 2023
OkCornel:

If there’s no repentance, belief is insufficient.

Read up the story of Simon the sorcerer in Acts 8.

He believed in Christ, was baptised by water, yet was scolded by Peter. Because his heart was not right with God.
The meaning or usage of words can be gotten from the way it is used and also other words and sentences.
There are instances were people are said to believe in Jesus in the bible but are superficial this is known because there is no repentance.
For example some Jews was said to believe Jesus but turned out they didn't really repent.
Re: Was The Theif On The Cross Saved Because He Worked For It? by OkCornel(m): 4:06pm On Apr 09, 2023
Steep:

The meaning or usage of words can be gotten from the way it is used and also other words and sentences.
There are instances were people are said to believe in Jesus in the bible but are superficial this is known because there is no repentance.
For example some Jews was said to believe Jesus but turned out they didn't really repent.

It all starts in the heart. Only the pure in heart will see God (sermon on the Mount)

If there’s no change of heart (repentance) that leads to forsaking a sinful lifestyle to do things God’s way… then it’s a waste of time
Re: Was The Theif On The Cross Saved Because He Worked For It? by Steep: 4:08pm On Apr 09, 2023
OkCornel:

It all starts in the heart. Only the pure in heart will see God (sermon on the Mount)

If there’s no change of heart (repentance) that leads to forsaking a sinful lifestyle to do things God’s way… then it’s a waste of time
You are repeating what I said earlier on. It is from the heart, true faith comes with repentance.
A change of lifestyle comes as a result of the Holy Spirit work in a saved person.
Re: Was The Theif On The Cross Saved Because He Worked For It? by OkCornel(m): 4:12pm On Apr 09, 2023
Steep:

You are repeating what I said earlier on. It is from the heart, true faith comes with repentance.
A change of lifestyle comes as a result of the Holy Spirit work in a saved person.

I might have missed this. Where did you say it “starts from the heart”?
Re: Was The Theif On The Cross Saved Because He Worked For It? by Steep: 4:40pm On Apr 09, 2023
OkCornel:

I might have missed this. Where did you say it “starts from the heart”?
from the start I said that faith and repentance go hand in and that one cannot (truly) believe in Christ without repentance, and I also defined repentance as a change of heart ( of course it leads to change of action.
Re: Was The Theif On The Cross Saved Because He Worked For It? by OkCornel(m): 4:52pm On Apr 09, 2023
Steep:
from the start I said that faith and repentance go hand in and that one cannot (truly) believe in Christ without repentance, and I also defined repentance as a change of heart ( of course it leads to change of action.

Oops. My bad.

Cheers.
Re: Was The Theif On The Cross Saved Because He Worked For It? by MaxInDHouse(m): 4:52pm On Apr 09, 2023
Steep:

Good, so you now see that a gift is something you do not work for.
What effort do you make to receive a free gift?
The bible already punctures hole to false teachings

Romans 5:18 Therefore as by the offence of one judgment came upon all men to condemnation; even so by the righteousness of one the free gift came upon all men unto justification of life.

It is even called a free gift, meaning no effort required to receive it.
So your gibberish nwt of effort has being thrashed.

You can go and try giving beggars something and see what i mean! cheesy

Even though what you brought is free yet they will stand up or stretch out their hands despite the fact that they don't even know what you've brought. That's what WORK of FAITH means! wink
Re: Was The Theif On The Cross Saved Because He Worked For It? by MaxInDHouse(m): 4:56pm On Apr 09, 2023
delkuf:

Misinformed Churchgoer!

Jesus commanded his disciples to go out and preach and teach about God's Kingdom which he (Jesus) will be the King! Matthew 28:19-20

Now go back and read what that thief said about Jesus before you start arguing blindly.

He has done exactly what Jesus commanded even at his last moment.

So has he become a Christian preaching and teaching about God's Kingdom in Christ Jesus or not? smiley
Re: Was The Theif On The Cross Saved Because He Worked For It? by MaxInDHouse(m): 5:12pm On Apr 09, 2023
OkCornel:

Matthew and Mark’s account stated both thieves mocked Christ. Luke’s account stated one mocked Christ. John’s account was silent on the matter. Anyone care to explain?

Both of them were confused about personality of the man in their middle been executed with them after some time they realized through the comments of those standing {Luke 23:35-37} that it's Jesus of Nazareth so they began asking him how come he's there with them if he's truly that powerful prophet?

That's why the first one go straight to what is of utmost importance to him “You are the Christ, are you not? Save yourself and us too!” Luke 23:39

But on a second thought the other thief started recalling what the prophets said about how the Christ will be counted among the transgressors and carry the burden of the sin of many {Isaiah 53:12} and cut off from among the living! Daniel 9:26

He began rebuking his accomplice that if Jesus hasn't done anything wrong but good works and he's been condemned definitely this young man must be the Christ who is king of God's Kingdom that's why he immediately begged Jesus for a Visa which means he is ready to obey Christ as Lord and King.

So at first both of them were confused about Jesus' real identity but the second thief regain his senses and quickly speak up for his salvation! smiley

2 Likes 1 Share

Re: Was The Theif On The Cross Saved Because He Worked For It? by OkCornel(m): 5:19pm On Apr 09, 2023
MaxInDHouse:

Both of them were confused about personality of the man in their middle been executed with them after some time they realized through the comments of those standing {Luke 23:35-37} that it's Jesus of Nazareth so they began asking him how come he's there with them if he's truly that powerful prophet?

That's why the first one go straight to what is of utmost importance to him “You are the Christ, are you not? Save yourself and us too!” Luke 23:39

But on a second thought the other thief started recalling what the prophets said about how the Christ will be counted among the transgressors and carry the burden of the sin of many {Isaiah 53:12} and cut off from among the living! Daniel 9:26

He began rebuking his accomplice that if Jesus hasn't done anything wrong but good works and he's been condemned definitely this young man must be the Christ who is king of God's Kingdom that's why he immediately begged Jesus for a Visa which means he is ready to obey Christ as Lord and King.

So at first both of them were confused about Jesus' real identity but the second thief regain his senses and quickly speak up for his salvation! smiley

Makes sense…
Re: Was The Theif On The Cross Saved Because He Worked For It? by johnw47: 10:52pm On Apr 09, 2023
being saved is a gift from God

whether the thief on the cross did works or not

"his salvation was a gift from God through faith,
not by works, that man could boast about"
eph 2:8-9

good works is also from God

God even causes us to do good works,
salvation and good works is all due to God,
not due to me me me me me

Eph 2:10  For we are His workmanship, created in Christ Jesus for good works, which God prepared beforehand so that we would walk in them.

when God saves us, among the good works that HE does in us is to stop us from lying,
wilfully lying is a clear sign of not being saved, liars are of the father of lies, the devil joh 8:44

(1) (2) (Reply)

What's Your View On Eternity,do You Think It's Real? / ... / Responsible, Mature Christianity Please!

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 48
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.