Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,150,580 members, 7,809,105 topics. Date: Thursday, 25 April 2024 at 11:14 PM

Prof. Wole Soyinka Vs Chinua Achebe - Literature - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Entertainment / Literature / Prof. Wole Soyinka Vs Chinua Achebe (712 Views)

Wole Soyinka Replies Reno Omokri Over Chinua Achebe Being Better Than Him / Wole Soyinka With Founding Members Of Pyrate In 1952 (Throwback Photo) / Wole Soyinka Reacts To Wedding Of His Son, Oretunlewa And Nneka Ekechukwu (2) (3) (4)

(1) (Reply) (Go Down)

Prof. Wole Soyinka Vs Chinua Achebe by seiyefajohn(m): 5:35pm On Apr 11, 2023
Chinua Achebe was a novelist. Wole Soyinka is a playwright. I know most of you didn’t know this, but there is really no basis for comparison between the two. It’s like comparing Sunny Ade and Oliver De Coque because they are both singers.

Chinua Achebe also deserved the Nobel Prize no doubt, but he never won it. Wole Soyinka won it in 1986. That award has been in existence since 1901. If the award committee wanted to give it to Chinua Achebe, they would have given him the prize long before Soyinka won it in 1986. Achebe died in 2013 - 27 solid years after Soyinka won the prize. The committee still didn’t give him the award; and you are here saying Soyinka “stole” the award that Achebe should have received.

Chinua Achebe himself never lamented not receiving the prize because, believe it or not, the Nobel Prize, or any award for that matter, is not the true measure of achievement for a writer. No African novel has sold more copies and has been translated into as many languages as “Things Fall Apart”.

To measure Achebe’s accomplishments by whether he won the Nobel Prize or not belittles his work and insults his memory.

Incidentally, this same Wole Soyinka wrote in 2013: "This conduct is gross disservice to Chinua Achebe and disrespectful of the life-engrossing occupation known as literature. How did creative valuation descend to such banality? Do these people know what they're doing – they are inscribing Chinua's epitaph in the negative mode of thwarted expectations. I find that disgusting. Was it the Nobel that spurred a young writer, stung by Eurocentric portrayal of African reality, to put pen to paper and produce Things Fall Apart?"

You lot should leave literature alone for those of us who know its true worth, please. You all don’t read anyway. Why the sudden interest in who was a better writer as if you have bought or read any of their books?

Drag prof if you want to drag him, just leave Chinua Achebe’s name out of such frivolous comments, and let the dead continue to rest in peace!

Just Me… THINKING OUT LOUD!

~ Olaitan Adesina

Subacribe to my channel to see video of mine. https://www.youtube.com/@Samjohncreation
Re: Prof. Wole Soyinka Vs Chinua Achebe by 40Bullets: 5:37pm On Apr 11, 2023
Add Opinion to the Title and correct the spelling of Chinua in the title too

1 Like

Re: Prof. Wole Soyinka Vs Chinua Achebe by Kodak9(m): 5:43pm On Apr 11, 2023
Lol grin grin
Go and correct that name

1 Like

Re: Prof. Wole Soyinka Vs Chinua Achebe by seiyefajohn(m): 9:14pm On Apr 11, 2023
Kodak9:
Lol grin grin
Go and correct that name

No be me write am o, na copy and paste i do because i like the writeup. But you wey de suggest correction, you no come spell the correct one for me.
Re: Prof. Wole Soyinka Vs Chinua Achebe by seiyefajohn(m): 9:16pm On Apr 11, 2023
40Bullets:
Add Opinion to the Title and correct the spelling of Chinua in the title too

Thank YOU!
Re: Prof. Wole Soyinka Vs Chinua Achebe by mnsonslab: 8:22am On Apr 12, 2023
Wole Soyinka and Chinua Achebe were both Nigerian writers and prominent figures in African literature.
Soyinka is a playwright, poet, and essayist who was awarded the Nobel Prize in Literature in 1986. He is best known for his plays such as "Death and the King's Horseman" and his memoir "Ake: The Years of Childhood."Achebe was a novelist and poet who is widely regarded as the father of modern African literature. He is best known for his novel "Things Fall Apart," which is considered a classic of African literature. Both writers made significant contributions to African literature and are celebrated for their works that depict the complexities of African society, culture, and politics.

https://mnsonslabsolution.in/

1 Like

Re: Prof. Wole Soyinka Vs Chinua Achebe by seiyefajohn(m): 9:43pm On Apr 12, 2023
mnsonslab:
Wole Soyinka and Chinua Achebe were both Nigerian writers and prominent figures in African literature.
Soyinka is a playwright, poet, and essayist who was awarded the Nobel Prize in Literature in 1986. He is best known for his plays such as "Death and the King's Horseman" and his memoir "Ake: The Years of Childhood."Achebe was a novelist and poet who is widely regarded as the father of modern African literature. He is best known for his novel "Things Fall Apart," which is considered a classic of African literature. Both writers made significant contributions to African literature and are celebrated for their works that depict the complexities of African society, culture, and politics.

https://mnsonslabsolution.in/

Thank you very much. You have summarized it.
Re: Prof. Wole Soyinka Vs Chinua Achebe by cecoro7095: 6:24pm On May 15, 2023
Sure

1 Like

Re: Prof. Wole Soyinka Vs Chinua Achebe by seiyefajohn(m): 7:40pm On Jul 01, 2023
cecoro7095:
Sure

Remain blessed
Re: Prof. Wole Soyinka Vs Chinua Achebe by nihiyol754: 12:16pm On Jul 13, 2023
Fast

1 Like

Re: Prof. Wole Soyinka Vs Chinua Achebe by seiyefajohn(m): 1:50pm On Jul 19, 2023
nihiyol754:
Fast

Hmm. Fast or Fact?

(1) (Reply)

Link With Publishers / Something To Know / What Is Love?

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 16
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.