Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,149,970 members, 7,806,808 topics. Date: Wednesday, 24 April 2024 at 01:21 AM

Is There Any Bible Ground Whereby A Man Can Divorce His Wife And Marry Another? - Religion - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Religion / Is There Any Bible Ground Whereby A Man Can Divorce His Wife And Marry Another? (2295 Views)

Myles Munroe, His Wife & Daughter Are Dead (Plane Crash) / Is There Any Bible Ground Whereby A Man Can Divorce His Wife And Mary Another? / God Allegedly Directed A Pastor To Divorce His Eloped Wife (2) (3) (4)

(1) (Reply) (Go Down)

Is There Any Bible Ground Whereby A Man Can Divorce His Wife And Marry Another? by thebrideng(m): 10:09pm On Sep 21, 2011
Please House

Is There Any Bible ground Whereby a man can divorce his wife and marry another without committing SIN against GOD?

Please give me a BIBLE Quotation either for or against.

Thank you all
Re: Is There Any Bible Ground Whereby A Man Can Divorce His Wife And Marry Another? by HISchild: 11:39pm On Sep 21, 2011
Although The Lord GOD righteously permitted divorce via The Law, via Moses to the nation of Israel for a short period of time for the "hardness of their hearts", HE, GOD, The Lord JESUS CHRIST set the matter straight; and in comparing Scripture with Scripture, by GOD's mercy, we know that there is to be no divorce for any reason. There are no such grounds.

A husband, and his wife, are to love each other unconditionally, till death do them part ("For the woman which hath an husband is bound by the law to her husband so long as he liveth; but if the husband be dead, she is loosed from the law of her husband." - Romans 7:2), by the grace of The Lord GOD. There is to be no divorce for any reason. Some of what the holy word of GOD says - "The LORD reigns"!!!
============

Proverbs 18:22
"Whoso findeth a wife findeth a good thing, and obtaineth favour of the LORD."

Ephesians 5:21-30
"Submitting yourselves one to another in the fear of God. Wives, submit yourselves unto your own husbands, as unto the Lord. For the husband is the head of the wife, even as Christ is the head of the church: and he is the saviour of the body. Therefore as the church is subject unto Christ, so let the wives be to their own husbands in every thing. Husbands, love your wives, even as Christ also loved the church, and gave himself for it; That he might sanctify and cleanse it with the washing of water by the word," That he might present it to himself a glorious church, not having spot, or wrinkle, or any such thing; but that it should be holy and without blemish. So ought men to love their wives as their own bodies. He that loveth his wife loveth himself. For no man ever yet hated his own flesh; but nourisheth and cherisheth it, even as the Lord the church: For we are members of his body, of his flesh, and of his bones." (the church in view here, is GOD's eternal church of all who are truly saved / redeemed by The Lord JESUS CHRIST, not the congregations that we see, that now because of their apostasy and according to the true word of GOD, are under GOD's judgment, as is the rest of this world - "For the time is come that judgment must begin at the house of God: and if it first begin at us, what shall the end be of them that obey not the gospel of God?" -1 Peter 4:17

Colossians 3:18-20
"Wives, submit yourselves unto your own husbands, as it is fit in the Lord. Husbands, love your wives, and be not bitter against them. Children, obey your parents in all things: for this is well pleasing unto the Lord. "

1 Peter 3:1-4
"Likewise, ye wives, be in subjection to your own husbands; that, if any obey not the word, they also may without the word be won by the conversation of the wives; While they behold your chaste conversation coupled with fear. Whose adorning let it not be that outward adorning of plaiting the hair, and of wearing of gold, or of putting on of apparel; But let it be the hidden man of the heart, in that which is not corruptible, even the ornament of a meek and quiet spirit, which is in the sight of God of great price."

Matthew 19:6
"Wherefore they are no more twain, but one flesh. What therefore God hath joined together, let not man put asunder. "

Malachi 2:16
"For the LORD, the God of Israel, saith that he hateth putting away: for one covereth violence with his garment, saith the LORD of hosts: therefore take heed to your spirit, that ye deal not treacherously. " [putting away is divorce, The LORD hates it]

"Marriage is honourable in all, and the bed undefiled: but whoremongers and adulterers God will judge." - Hebrews 13:4

"But whoso committeth adultery with a woman lacketh understanding: he that doeth it destroyeth his own soul. A wound and dishonour shall he get; and his reproach shall not be wiped away." - Proverbs 6: 32-33

"Flee fornication. Every sin that a man doeth is without the body; but he that committeth fornication sinneth against his own body." - 1 Corinthians 6:18

1 Corinthians 7
"[b]Now concerning the things whereof ye wrote unto me: It is good for a man not to touch a woman. Nevertheless, to avoid fornication, let every man have his own wife, and let every woman have her own husband. Let the husband render unto the wife due benevolence: and likewise also the wife unto the husband. The wife hath not power of her own body, but the husband: and likewise also the husband hath not power of his own body, but the wife. Defraud ye not one the other, except it be with consent for a time, that ye may give yourselves to fasting and prayer; and come together again, that Satan tempt you not for your incontinency.
But I speak this by permission, and not of commandment. For I would that all men were even as I myself. But every man hath his proper gift of God, one after this manner, and another after that. I say therefore to the unmarried and widows, it is good for them if they abide even as I. But if they cannot contain, let them marry: for it is better to marry than to burn. And unto the married I command, yet not I, but the Lord, Let not the wife depart from her husband: But and if she depart, let her remain unmarried or be reconciled to her husband: and let not the husband put away his wife. But to the rest speak I, not the Lord: If any brother hath a wife that believeth not, and she be pleased to dwell with him, let him not put her away. And the woman which hath an husband that believeth not, and if he be pleased to dwell with her, let her not leave him. For the unbelieving husband is sanctified by the wife, and the unbelieving wife is sanctified by the husband: else were your children unclean; but now are they holy. But if the unbelieving depart, let him depart. A brother or a sister is not under bondage in such cases: but God hath called us to peace. For what knowest thou, O wife, whether thou shalt save thy husband? or how knowest thou, O man, whether thou shalt save thy wife?[/b]"
----
Proverbs 5:17-19
"Let them be only thine own, and not strangers' with thee. Let thy fountain be blessed: and rejoice with the wife of thy youth. Let her be as the loving hind and pleasant roe; let her bosoms satisfy thee at all times; and be thou ravished always with her love."
Re: Is There Any Bible Ground Whereby A Man Can Divorce His Wife And Marry Another? by joyuchesun: 12:09am On Sep 22, 2011
My Friend, Live your life and enjoy it.  If you made a mistake and married the wrong person, do not stay and suffer.  You are allowed to divorce.  If you choose to believe it, the bible says that we are imperfect.  Your imperfect self made a mistake.  Let @Hischild stay in his misery, you may also stay if you choose to, but you do not have to.

Contradictions in the bible: they are too many to ignore. It does not make sense and you must use your common sense and not follow these things blindly including rules about divorce.

Grace and works

For by grace are ye saved through faith . . . not of works.
Ephesians 2:8,9

"Ye see then how that by works a man is justified, and not by faith only."
James 2:24

Mercy
PSA 145:9 The LORD is good to all: and his tender mercies are over all his works.

JER 13:14 And I will dash them one against another, even the fathers and the sons together, saith the LORD: I will not pity, nor spare, nor have mercy, but destroy them.

Killing
Thou shalt not kill
Exod 20:13

Thus sayeth the LORD God of Israel, "Put every man his sword by his side, and go in and out from gate to gate throughout the camp, and slay every man his brother, and every man his companion, and every man his neighbour".
Exod 32:27

Images (like the cross)
"Thou shalt not make unto thee any graven image, or any likeness of anything that is in heaven . . . earth . . . water."
Exod 20:4

"And thou shalt make two cherubims of gold, of beaten work shalt thou make them."
Exodus 25:18

Repenting
"I the Lord have spoken it: it shall come to pass, and I will do it; I will not go back, neither will I spare, neither will I repent."
Ezekiel 24:14

. . . and God repented of the evil, that he had said that he would do unto them; and he did it not.
Jonah 3:10

Mercy
"I will not pity, nor spare, nor have mercy, but destroy. Now go and smite Amalek, and utterly destroy all that they have, and spare them not, but slay both man and woman, infant and suckling."
Jer 13:14

The Lord is very pitiful and of tender mercy.
James 5:11

temptation
And it came to pass after these things, that God did tempt Abraham.
Gen 22:1

Let no man say when he is tempted, I am tempted of God; for God cannot be tempted with evil, neither tempteth he any man.
James 1:13

Ability
"Behold, I am the Lord, the God of all flesh: is there anything too hard for me?"
Jeremiah 32:27

And the Lord was with Judah; and he drove out the inhabitants of the mountain; but could not drive out the inhabitants of the valley, because they had chariots of iron.
Judges 1:19

Wisdom
Wisdom is the principal thing; therefore get wisdom: and with all thy getting get understanding.
Prov 4:7

For it is written, I will destroy the wisdom of the wise, and will bring to nothing the understanding of the prudent.
1 Cor 1:19

The Dead

The dead know not any thing, neither have they any more reward.
Eccles 9:5

These shall go away into everlasting punishment: but the righteous unto life eternal.
Matt 25:46

Children
Prepare slaughter for his children for the iniquity of their fathers.
Isa 14:21

The fathers shall not be put to death for the children, neither shall the children be put to death for the fathers: every man shall be put to death for his own sin.
Deut 24:16

Elijah
And Elijah went up by a whirlwind into heaven.
2 Kings 2:11

No man hath ascended up to heaven but he that came down from heaven, ,  the Son of Man.
John 3:13

hate
Whosoever hateth his brother is a murderer: and ye know that no murderer hath eternal life abiding in him.
1 John 3:15

abiding in him.
1 John 3:15 If any man come to me, and hate not his father, and mother, and wife, and children, and brethren, and sisters, yea, and his own life also, he cannot be my disciple.
Luke 14:26

Who is the father of Joseph?

MAT 1:16 And Jacob begat Joseph the husband of Mary, of whom was born Jesus, who is called Christ.

LUK 3:23 And Jesus himself began to be about thirty years of age, being (as was supposed) the son of Joseph, which was the son of Heli.

The sins of the father

ISA 14:21 Prepare slaughter for his children for the iniquity of their fathers; that they do not rise, nor possess the land, nor fill the face of the world with cities.

DEU 24:16 The fathers shall not be put to death for the children, neither shall the children be put to death for the fathers: every man shall be put to death for his own sin.

Good deeds

Matt 5:16 "In the same way, let your light shine before men, that they may see your good deeds and praise your Father in heaven." (NIV)

Matt 6:3-4 "But when you give to the needy, do not let your left hand know what your right hand is doing, so that your giving may be in secret. Then your Father, who sees what is done in secret, will reward you." (NIV)
February 2 at 12:09pm
Re: Is There Any Bible Ground Whereby A Man Can Divorce His Wife And Marry Another? by joyuchesun: 12:18am On Sep 22, 2011
[b]The sexism and atrocities against women in the bible.

The MEN who wrote the Bible often reflected a degrading view of women, homosexuals, slaves, and Jews among others. If these views actually represent the views of God, then this falsely makes God a bigot and a respecter of persons. For this reason, an infallible Bible cannot be true

"Let the women learn in silence with all subjection. But I suffer not a woman to teach, nor to usurp authority over the man, but to be in silence. For Adam was first formed, then Eve. And Adam was not deceived, but the woman being deceived was in the transgression." (I Timothy 2:11-14)

"Let your women keep silence in the churches: for it is not permitted unto them to speak; but they are commanded to be under obedience, as also saith the law. And if they will learn any thing, let them ask their husbands at home: for it is a shame for women to speak in the church." (I Corinthians 14:34-35)

GE 3:16, CO 11:3-9, EP 5:22-24, CN 3:18, TS 2:5, 1PE 3:1-6 The husband is to rule over his wife. Wives are to be subject to their husbands even when the husband is disobedient to God. Man is the image and glory of God, while woman is the glory of man. Man was not created for woman but woman for man.

Women must cut their hair off if they don't cover it: "If a woman does not cover her head, she should have her hair cut off." (1 Cor. 11:6)

GE 3:16 Women should suffer pain during childbirth. (Note: This verse was used by the Church to oppose the use of anesthesia during childbirth.)

"Behold, here is my daughter a maiden, and his concubine; them I will bring out now, and humble ye them, and do with them what seemeth good unto you: but unto this man do not so vile a thing. But the men would not hearken to him: so the man took his concubine, and brought her forth unto them; and they knew her, and abused her all the night until the morning: and when the day began to spring, they let her go." (Judges 19:24-25)

EX 21:7-11 A father can sell a daughter into slavery to pay a debt. A daughter sold into slavery is not released at the end of six years as is an ordinary male slave.

EX 21:16 Whoever steals a man is to be put to death. (Note: This is in spite of the fact that a father can sell his daughter into slavery; see EX 21:7-11.)

EX 22:16-17 An unbetrothed virgin is required to marry her seducer.

LE 12:2 A woman who has a child, especially a female child, is unclean and purification rites are required.

"When men strive together one with another, and the wife of the one draweth near for to deliver her husband out of the hand of him that smiteth him, and putteth forth her hand, and taketh him by the secrets: then thou shalt cut off her hand, thine eye shall not pity her." (Deuteronomy 25:11-12)
[/b]
Re: Is There Any Bible Ground Whereby A Man Can Divorce His Wife And Marry Another? by chowbaby: 12:29am On Sep 22, 2011
If you are in an unhealthy, unsafe, or unsalvagable marriage. Get a divorce. You cannot look to the bible. It was written at a different time, when women were looked at differently. It is like consulting a manual about computers from that time, it wouldn't exist.

The books of the bible as you know today were chosen as a form of control for people at that time and are not any inerrant word. This is made clear by the primitive thoughts about women and restrictive unrealistic views of ideas like divorce. For example, at that time women were not seen as equal so to divorce one would put her in harms way. People also did not live as long so the notion of spending one's entire life with the same person was not so difficult when life ended at 30 years old instead of 90 or 100. There is much more evidence of where the bible stories and all come from. Facts you should research unless you choose to just follow blindly.
Re: Is There Any Bible Ground Whereby A Man Can Divorce His Wife And Marry Another? by Natasha2(f): 12:38am On Sep 22, 2011
Yes there is.The Bible states it clearly that you can divorce your wife or husband on the ground of unfaithfulness  ,MATTHEW 19:9 ''AND I SAY TO YOU WHOEVER DIVORCES HIS WIFE [size=13pt]EXCEPT FOR UNCHASTITY [/size] AND MARRIES ANOTHER, COMMITS ADULTERY''
Re: Is There Any Bible Ground Whereby A Man Can Divorce His Wife And Marry Another? by Natasha2(f): 12:58am On Sep 22, 2011
Re: Is There Any Bible Ground Whereby A Man Can Divorce His Wife And Marry Another? by justhappy: 1:42am On Sep 22, 2011
The bible is a bunch of contradiction, do not look to it for advice on these matters. Here are some verses though that contradict each other and really make no sense. They have no application to today.

Deuteronomy 22:28-29 Divorce not allowed for seducers of virgins: If a man engages in sexual intercourse with an unmarried virgin, he is considered married to her, and would never be permitted to divorce her.

Deuteronomy 24:1-2 Permission to divorce "When a man hath taken a wife, and married her, and it come to pass that she find no favour in his eyes, because he hath found some uncleanness in her: then let him write her a bill of divorcement, and give it in her hand, and send her out of his house. And when she is departed out of his house, she may go and be another man's wife. And if the latter husband hate her, and write her a bill of divorcement, and giveth it in her hand, and sendeth her out of his house; or if the latter husband die, which took her to be his wife; Her former husband, which sent her away, may not take her again to be his wife, after that she is defiled; for that is abomination before the LORD: and thou shalt not cause the land to sin, which the LORD thy God giveth thee for an inheritance."
Re: Is There Any Bible Ground Whereby A Man Can Divorce His Wife And Marry Another? by thebrideng(m): 10:38pm On Sep 22, 2011
Thank you all for your comments. But it seems some people are really confused here by saying the Bible contradict itself. Anyway everyone has a right to his/her opinion.

But let me tell you this that I am a firm Believer in the BIBLE. I believe it is the WORD of GOD and IT does NOT CONTRADICT ITSELF.

But on the subject under consideration let us consider these Scriptures:

MATTHEW 19:3
3 ¶ The Pharisees also came unto him, tempting him, and saying unto him, Is it lawful for a man to put away his wife for every cause?

MATTHEW 19:4
4 And he answered and said unto them, Have ye not read, that he which made [them] at the beginning made them male and female,

MATTHEW 19:5
5 And said, For this cause shall a man leave father and mother, and shall cleave to his wife: and they twain shall be one flesh?

MATTHEW 19:6
6 Wherefore they are no more twain, but one flesh. What therefore God hath joined together, let not man put asunder.

MATTHEW 19:7
7 They say unto him, Why did Moses then command to give a writing of divorcement, and to put her away?

MATTHEW 19:8
8 He saith unto them, Moses because of the hardness of your hearts suffered you to put away your wives: but from the beginning it was not so.

MATTHEW 19:9
9 And I say unto you, Whosoever shall put away his wife, except [it be] for fornication, and shall marry another, committeth adultery: and whoso marrieth her which is put away doth commit adultery.

MATTHEW 19:10
10 His disciples say unto him, If the case of the man be so with [his] wife, it is not good to marry.

MATTHEW 19:11
11 But he said unto them, All [men] cannot receive this saying, save [they] to whom it is given.

(1) (Reply)

Science don't actually exist... Scientist are sinners / God Is Dead / Cherubim And Seraphim Baba Aladura Laid To Rest Today

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 74
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.