Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,149,728 members, 7,805,994 topics. Date: Tuesday, 23 April 2024 at 09:50 AM

My Dad Is Considering Learning Web Design,should He ? - Webmasters - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Science/Technology / Webmasters / My Dad Is Considering Learning Web Design,should He ? (954 Views)

Problem Learning Web Design/development / Learning Web Design @ 37! / Is Learning Web Design A Waste Of My Time? (2) (3) (4)

(1) (Reply) (Go Down)

My Dad Is Considering Learning Web Design,should He ? by tundewoods(m): 8:18pm On Sep 03, 2007

I know this may sound rather funny and interesting but it's true.

My dad is in his early 60's,An Electrical Engineer by profession who retired from NITEL as a DGM in 2002.He sort of got fed up with Nigeria and decided to return back to Michigan,USA where we all grew up in the 80's.He's got a American residence visa (greencard) and he's been resident there now for close to a year.

He's considering taking a job,which i am certainly against due to his age.He initially thought of doing a consulting job in Michigan but i must confess that things have changed a whole lot since we all left there.There aint much decent jobs as he expected.

I suggested to him,learning the basics of Web design since he is comuputer literate.I managed to convince him of starting a web outsourcing firm over there which in my own opinion will end up paying me since he can simply out source the jobs to me here in Nigeria.

However i'm still giving it a second thought if it will be a nice idea to make my Old man start going through the rigor of learning the basics of Web design.This which i feel is a must if he is to at all venture into starting a web outsourcing firm in USA.I'm certain that my little sister and brother whom he is living with won't really be interested in working for him,so that leaves him with an option either employ a person or learn to do most of the things himself.

The fact is he should be able to pull a number of jobs and clients from his Old buddies from University ,Church and family friends so we don't want to loose the opportunity.
Re: My Dad Is Considering Learning Web Design,should He ? by Afam(m): 8:53pm On Sep 03, 2007
@tundewoods,

You will be surprise how this will turn out. Ideas that may look funny and crazy in the beginning usually turn out to be success stories.

I wish him luck.

The good news is that web development is something anyone with passion, determination and the willingness to learn can do and do well.
Re: My Dad Is Considering Learning Web Design,should He ? by my2cents(m): 1:58am On Sep 04, 2007
However i'm still giving it a second thought if it will be a nice idea to make my Old man start going through the rigor of learning the basics of Web design.

aha! tunde, from your previous posts, I suspected there was some americana in you wink

back to the story at hand:
put yourself in your dadz shoes. If you were in your 60s and in a country where 60 is the new 40 and many people are working past their retirement age (not because they are broke but because they are bored staying at home), how would you feel if someone your age made the exact same statement? I mean, letz be honest here, there isn't exactly any "rigor" per se in learning web design. It isn't exactly rocket science. If he has the interest, thatz all that matters. tongue

As I am sure you are aware, in the states they say, age aint nothin but a number. If web design is what he wants to do, then by all means, let him do it. Its better for him to try and fail than not to try at all. What's the alternative? Driving cab? Washing dishes? Being a greeter at the local walmart or sam's club? Sitting at home and watching TV 24 hours a day? Most of the pple I know who have been to america and never intended to work end up returning home in 6 months or less. Why? Boredome and no one is home. Everyone is out there hustling for the dollar to "pay the bills".

In my opinion (and this is what i tell anyone coming to america these days), he should engage in whatever will make him work smart, not hard. I think of all the jobs listed above (let's face it, given his age and the fact that despite his degree, it will be tough for him to get a job in corporate america due to "lack of experience"wink, he should engage in self-employment.

Besides at the end of the day, do you want him to complain to you that if it weren't for you, he would have been the next google? cool grin cool

As always, my 2 cents
Re: My Dad Is Considering Learning Web Design,should He ? by niceuzor: 2:04am On Sep 04, 2007
Tunde - if your dad heart desire to consider web-design let it be OK

Beside you re into web-designed you can put him through

A word from Nicez!!! cool
Re: My Dad Is Considering Learning Web Design,should He ? by timmy(m): 11:50pm On Sep 12, 2007
@Tunde, so baba as decided to ruin your busines, shey you know you are doomed, yuhad better stop him, just teach him solitare or minesweeeper those shuld be enuff for an oldie, meanwhile i no know say pops don travell, how october go be now? send the the color codes ohh wink
Re: My Dad Is Considering Learning Web Design,should He ? by smartsoft(m): 1:35pm On Sep 13, 2007
@tunde maybe he should learn how to trade instead of designing, lol yes send me the color code too, if i no dey therei go vex small ooo you know what i mean now bro. you are the best

(1) (Reply)

Cn Someone Pls Visit This Site? / Please Urgent Help For Coding In A Site / Tell Us Your Most Interesting Website And What The Website Does?

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 27
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.