Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,148,788 members, 7,802,461 topics. Date: Friday, 19 April 2024 at 02:51 PM

Flutter: The Irony Of GetX - Programming - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Science/Technology / Programming / Flutter: The Irony Of GetX (982 Views)

Which Of Them Is Better To Learn (flutter Or Java) / Between Flutter And Data Science, Which Do I Choose.. / Flutter Vs React Native Vs Xamarin For Cross Platform Development (2) (3) (4)

(1) (Reply) (Go Down)

Flutter: The Irony Of GetX by truthCoder: 7:48am On Apr 21, 2023
Let's discuss the elephant in the room - GetX. Despite being the most popular Flutter package year after year, there is a growing sentiment among some senior developers on forums like Reddit and Discord that they hate the creator. Even Google has removed GetX from its list of favorite packages.

However, many beginners find the package simple to learn, and it allows them to manage state, dependencies, and routes with ease. While some argue that it's not scalable for large applications, there are many production apps built with it.

The hate for GetX has even reached the point where a recruiter on Reddit said he uses it as an interview weeding tool. One major complaint from these senior developers is that it is an anti-pattern, doing things completely differently from how Flutter does it. For example, it doesn't rely on "context" and uses its own types (Rx).

There is a phenomenon called the "woozle effect," where frequent citation of previous publications lacking evidence misleads individuals, groups, and the public into believing non-facts. Could the hate for GetX be a woozle effect? Despite the conflicting views, it's essential to know what real developers think about GetX, rather than just jumping on the bandwagon.

1 Like

Re: Flutter: The Irony Of GetX by PrinceofSarcasm: 7:55am On Apr 21, 2023
Getx is bae . Nothing beats it's performance productivity and easy learning curve

Bloc is a close second

2 Likes

Re: Flutter: The Irony Of GetX by truthCoder: 10:26am On Apr 21, 2023
PrinceofSarcasm:
Getx is bae . Nothing beats it's performance productivity and easy learning curve

Bloc is a close second
Great !
Re: Flutter: The Irony Of GetX by davien(m): 4:13pm On Apr 21, 2023
As a senior junior developer I insist you use only the tools I like.

1 Like

Re: Flutter: The Irony Of GetX by TheStrongest: 6:06pm On Apr 21, 2023
PrinceofSarcasm:

Bloc is a close second
Riverpod beats Getx in performance. I don't know about the learning curve.
Re: Flutter: The Irony Of GetX by truthCoder: 10:52am On Apr 22, 2023
davien:
As a senior junior developer I insist you use only the tools I like.

grin
Re: Flutter: The Irony Of GetX by truthCoder: 12:26pm On Apr 22, 2023
TheStrongest:
Riverpod beats Getx in performance. I don't know about the learning curve.

Can you share any metrics you have access to if any to enlighten us further?

In addition, whilst it is common to compare GetX with other state management tools, we should remember that GetX does more than state management.

It is a router, a dependency injection tool in addition to being a state manager.

So if you install say riverpod, you might need to still install go_router to manage your routes.
Re: Flutter: The Irony Of GetX by ugwum007(m): 2:36pm On Apr 22, 2023
Provider is still my bae for state management but GetX is still the number one for navigation for me.
Re: Flutter: The Irony Of GetX by Deicide: 8:10pm On Apr 23, 2023
Why would someone pick flutter over React native?
Re: Flutter: The Irony Of GetX by qtguru(m): 10:52pm On Apr 23, 2023
Deicide:

if they love sanity grin

2 Likes

Re: Flutter: The Irony Of GetX by Deicide: 11:35pm On Apr 23, 2023
qtguru:

if they love sanity grin
Sanity? Even to setup flutter self Na war
Re: Flutter: The Irony Of GetX by qtguru(m): 10:00am On Apr 24, 2023
Deicide:
Sanity? Even to setup flutter self Na war

Flutter setup was straight forward and if there are bugs it's easy to spot. RN is buggy, I spent 7 months building an enterprise product for a company, the most frustrating 7 months of my life. RN breaks a lot I have no idea why

3 Likes

Re: Flutter: The Irony Of GetX by truthCoder: 10:21am On Apr 25, 2023
Deicide:

For people coming from JavaScript land where everything is like Oshodi under bridge, flutter can be complex.

If you have solid a background in more structured languages, then it should be a breeze.

Installing flutter is complicated if you have little understanding of how a computer works behind the gui. You might have been used to just clicking next to install.

I will choose flutter many times over RN.

Learning flutter would even make you a better Typescript programmer

The downsides of dart is the need for extra code generation for basics like json which some other languages have baked in already. I dont like code generators and i try to avoid them when possible because they are simply stop gaps that would hopefully be resolved in future iterations.

Flutter also does not handle basics like routing and state management well without too much boilerplate which is why we have solutions like riverpod and getx in the first instance.

All these could stem from the fact that flutter is less opinionated (just like react) than modern libraries like svelte which uses a simple $: to handle reactivity and sveltekit with its simple directory routing.
Re: Flutter: The Irony Of GetX by Deicide: 1:43pm On Apr 25, 2023
truthCoder:

Installing flutter is complicated if you have little understanding of how a computer works behind the gui. You might have been used to just clicking next to install.

I will choose flutter many times over RN.
qtguru:

Flutter setup was straight forward and if there are bugs it's easy to spot. RN is buggy, I spent 7 months building an enterprise product for a company, the most frustrating 7 months of my life. RN breaks a lot I have no idea why
What I meant by the installation is a headache was that it took hours for me to set it up. And most of those time was just downloading some large files. And then sometimes internet issue and it has to start over again. Anyways this was like 2 years ago. Let me give it a try again.
Re: Flutter: The Irony Of GetX by qtguru(m): 1:47pm On Apr 25, 2023
Deicide:

What I meant by the installation is a headache was that it took hours for me to set it up. And most of those time was just downloading some large files. And then sometimes internet issue and it has to start over again. Anyways this was like 2 years ago. Let me give it a try again.

interesting took me a day and this is on Linux, the main headache I can say is probably editing the ANDROID_SDK environment variable and setting up JDK, but compared to RN, Flutter for me has been smooth despite having no experience with the platform beforehand.
Re: Flutter: The Irony Of GetX by Deicide: 2:08pm On Apr 25, 2023
qtguru:

interesting took me a day and this is on Linux, the main headache I can say is probably editing the ANDROID_SDK environment variable and setting up JDK, but compared to RN, Flutter for me has been smooth despite having no experience with the platform beforehand.
If you set environment variables on Linux most of the time you have to log out and log back in again cause it's associated to the user another way is to just source the .profile or depending on where you set the environment variables.

1 Like

Re: Flutter: The Irony Of GetX by truthCoder: 2:31pm On Apr 25, 2023
Deicide:

Flutter is truly heavy

But when compared with xcode, flutter is very small. Xcode is over 12GB in size and you need it when using flutter on Mac. Don’t forget to add Android Studio. Budget 22gb of installation files for a full mac installation. Windows or Linux will be less but a cross dev would need mac one day.

I run two flutter installations. One on my MacBook Pro and one on my linux. Installing flutter is real work.
Re: Flutter: The Irony Of GetX by Deicide: 2:34pm On Apr 25, 2023
truthCoder:

Flutter is truly heavy

But when compared with xcode, flutter is very small. Xcode is over 12GB in size and you need it when using flutter on Mac. Don’t forget to add Android Studio. Budget 22gb of installation files for a full mac installation. Windows or Linux will be less but a cross dev would need mac one day.

I run two flutter installations. One on my MacBook Pro and one on my linux. Installing flutter is real work.
Lol, almost 40GB to setup, for this Nigeria grin
Re: Flutter: The Irony Of GetX by truthCoder: 2:37pm On Apr 25, 2023
Deicide:
Lol, almost 40GB to setup, for this Nigeria grin

LOL. No. Only macbook is heavy.

Linux was lighter. Can’t remember the consumption again but it was less than 10gb i think.

The annoying thing is the long background downloads on first flutter run.
Re: Flutter: The Irony Of GetX by Deicide: 2:41pm On Apr 25, 2023
truthCoder:

LOL. No. Only macbook is heavy.

Linux was lighter. Can’t remember the consumption again but it was less than 10gb i think.

The annoying thing is the long background downloads on first flutter run.
My own problem was it starting again from the beginning if anything goes wrong. Anyways another question is why go through all this when you could just build with Java or kotlin, is it cause flutter can make app for both Android and IOS? Is that the only advantage?
Re: Flutter: The Irony Of GetX by truthCoder: 3:14pm On Apr 25, 2023
Deicide:
My own problem was it starting again from the beginning if anything goes wrong. Anyways another question is why go through all this when you could just build with Java or kotlin, is it cause flutter can make app for both Android and IOS? Is that the only advantage?

One code, all apps.

Plus the immense support from Google.
Re: Flutter: The Irony Of GetX by Deicide: 3:21pm On Apr 25, 2023
truthCoder:

One code, all apps.

Plus the immense support from Google.
Wow Google support flutter now?
Re: Flutter: The Irony Of GetX by TheStrongest: 7:44pm On Apr 25, 2023
Deicide:
Wow Google support flutter now?
Google owns Flutter na...
Re: Flutter: The Irony Of GetX by TheStrongest: 7:44pm On Apr 25, 2023
Flutter setup on my windows took less than. 1 hour for me.
Re: Flutter: The Irony Of GetX by truthCoder: 7:59pm On Apr 25, 2023
TheStrongest:
Flutter setup on my windows took less than. 1 hour for me.

On windows, you dont have XCode and cant run iOS simulators. You cant build for mac os too. Just android.

When you need to configure/test the iOS portion of your app, you would need to look for someone with a mac who has xcode or use a Paas.

Thats the difference.
Re: Flutter: The Irony Of GetX by TheStrongest: 8:16pm On Apr 25, 2023
truthCoder:

On windows, you dont have XCode and cant run iOS simulators. You cant build for mac os too. Just android.

When you need to configure/test the iOS portion of your app, you would need to look for someone with a mac who has xcode or use a Paas.

Thats the difference.
I know.. I'm just stating how long it took me to install on windows to encourage the person that complained about the installation time
Re: Flutter: The Irony Of GetX by truthCoder: 8:56pm On Apr 25, 2023
TheStrongest:
I know.. I'm just stating how long it took me to install on windows to encourage the person that complained about the installation time

Ok. 👍

1 Like

Re: Flutter: The Irony Of GetX by Deicide: 4:56pm On May 11, 2023
I tried to setup flutter again, well this time it was successful but it still took time. My setup is on Linux and I use neovim as the IDE + flutter tools as a plugin to manage everything like running emulators and stuff and The Lsp server is dartls for code completion and some other cool stuff like extracting components and wrapping components etc.
Re: Flutter: The Irony Of GetX by niel63(m): 7:34pm On May 11, 2023
Deicide:

The comment I've been looking for.

(1) (Reply)

Alexis, Please Could You? / Need Help Writing Vb Programs 4 Network Enviroments / Wordpress Giving Me Hard Time

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 34
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.