Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,149,006 members, 7,803,343 topics. Date: Saturday, 20 April 2024 at 02:02 PM

What Depletes Phone Battery Most? - Phones - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Science/Technology / Phones / What Depletes Phone Battery Most? (8797 Views)

Poll: What Depletes Phone Battery Most?

Browsing: 29% (206 votes)
Music: 14% (104 votes)
Pinging: 6% (42 votes)
Texting: 1% (7 votes)
Calls: 6% (48 votes)
Watching Videos: 19% (139 votes)
Playing Games: 20% (143 votes)
Other: 1% (10 votes)
This poll has ended

How To Make Your Phone Battery Last 3x Longer Than Normal[tricks] / Android Phone Battery (extreme Tweak) / Each Time I Check My VMobile Balance, I Have to Re-insert the Phone Battery (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (Reply) (Go Down)

What Depletes Phone Battery Most? by Alldruns: 5:59am On Sep 24, 2011
Guys. I've wanted to find out what depletes phone battery most? Is is when browsing wt it, playing music, watching videos, pinging or what?

What's your view on dis?
Re: What Depletes Phone Battery Most? by sammyke(m): 1:48pm On Sep 24, 2011
na browing dey chop battery pass. 4rm mai own experience
Re: What Depletes Phone Battery Most? by Alldruns: 2:16am On Sep 25, 2011
menh, is it true?
Re: What Depletes Phone Battery Most? by honsule(m): 6:31am On Sep 25, 2011
browsing of course n also playin music:Note: there is a poll for this thread.tick and submit
Re: What Depletes Phone Battery Most? by graluxxy054(f): 8:28am On Sep 25, 2011
Wit the experience i hav wit my phone, playin music deplets my battery. I cant imagine myself havin a phone dat doesnt play music. Secondly, browsin also deplets battery.
Re: What Depletes Phone Battery Most? by samwash(m): 8:47am On Sep 25, 2011
From my xperience browsing,playing music nd watching videos depletes a phone battery.I cant even imagining my self nt doing dis activites wit my phone.
Re: What Depletes Phone Battery Most? by Nobody: 8:55am On Sep 25, 2011
silly thread, go ask any primary school kid javascript:void(0);
Re: What Depletes Phone Battery Most? by Andrew3(m): 8:57am On Sep 25, 2011
Different brands and models battery consumptions differs but battery consumption is maximized during radiation.

playing music and videos and games will not consume battery like browsing and making calls. During browsing, the phones PA, tx and rx modules works continuously while data is sent out and in.

On the archaic phones, rx and tx data were all transmitted via a single chip the pa but nowadays newer phones come with tx and rx models separate which means browsing and call making consumes more but signal and reception are more stable.
Re: What Depletes Phone Battery Most? by texazzpete(m): 8:58am On Sep 25, 2011
Any activity that keeps the screen backlight on constantly will deplete the battery faster than usual.
As far as browsing is concerned, browsing over WiFi consumes far less power than using the phone's 3G modem. If you wanna save battery life, outsource your connection to Wifi as often as you can.

I have no idea why 'Pinging' is an option in the poll. less than 10% of Nigerian phone owners use blackberries.
Re: What Depletes Phone Battery Most? by Chygoz2(m): 8:59am On Sep 25, 2011
It's definitely browsing. Browsing is the only activity i've seen that'll make a fully charged battery while still connected to the charger start charging again.
Re: What Depletes Phone Battery Most? by Nobody: 9:00am On Sep 25, 2011
Browsing depletes my ba3. Only browsing. I stopped playing music, watching videos, e. t.c becoz of browsing. I have permanently removed my memory card from my phone n even deleted all the music, videos on my phone memory and even thinkin of breakin my memory card all just 4 browsing. I love browsing pple!!
Re: What Depletes Phone Battery Most? by Nobody: 9:00am On Sep 25, 2011
honsule:

browsing of course n also playin music:Note: there is a poll for this thread.tick and submit
On iphone,playing music is very cheap so also is browsing but playing games will drain your battery sharp sharp.
Re: What Depletes Phone Battery Most? by Nobody: 9:02am On Sep 25, 2011
::Andrew:::

Different brands and models battery consumptions differs but battery consumption is maximized during radiation.

playing music and videos and games will not consume battery like browsing and making calls. During browsing, the phones PA, tx and rx modules works continuously while data is sent out and in.

On the archaic phones, rx and tx data were all transmitted via a single chip the pa but nowadays newer phones come with tx and rx models separate which means browsing and call making consumes more but signal and reception are more stable.
u nailed it bro!
Re: What Depletes Phone Battery Most? by Nobody: 9:15am On Sep 25, 2011
I wouldnt say music because, if the music is playing at a low volume, it doesnt drain the battery but activity that lights up the screen is a culprit.
Re: What Depletes Phone Battery Most? by carik(m): 9:23am On Sep 25, 2011
Those features dat make use of data in and out depletes battery the most

Browsing is the first
Call next
and say PINGING, bb users knw dat cos its of data communication[color=#000099][/color]
Re: What Depletes Phone Battery Most? by ideylaff: 10:41am On Sep 25, 2011
silly thread, go ask any primary school kid javascript:void(0);

@rafhell post some sense or please stop bn childish, do you have to be rude,

Stop making out you are some Bill Gates or Steve Jobs, Device Guru. people can learn 4rm this thread OK,

if you know fine let others 2 know as well
Re: What Depletes Phone Battery Most? by Nobody: 10:42am On Sep 25, 2011
Whle browsing remains the number one possibility, what kills a phone's battery dpnds extensvly on the type & brand of phone. As most 2g phone users will attest, browsing wont really kill their phone's dat much. Calling would. But browsin is definitely the enemy of a 3g phone. 2g users are on gprs/edge whose signalling don't drain the battery dat much. 3g radios, on the other hand, move sharply from idle to cell_DCH in seconds and in this state take about 40-60 times more power than it would in the idle state. Typically, most 3g network providers follow 3gpp's specs by signalling btw an intermediate cell_FACH, which consumes significntly less power and stil allows data transfer and quick session resumption, and the usual cell_DCH where loads of data transfer take place. But not our  own MTN, glo, etc. They keep u on DCH so they can tax ur credit (more data, more money). While idle, packet/data service remains attach'd, mostly on DCH, for significantly long, and this continues to drain  battery power. And we are talkin about uplink & downlink here. In a worse position are those who use emailing on phone and must constantly probe the server (SMTP) for new mails.
So, the solution: use WiFi. Data exchange with wireless uses a different protocol which is battery-friendly. Packets are merely being routed to the phone here.
Some ntwrk provdrs are however thinkin of migrating from DCH to cell_PCH which consumes as low as 1-2 times power when doing data. Bt that's anther story entirely!

Summary: 2g users can browse all day long w/o much worries. But combind with calls they should worry bout their batteries. Not 3g users. 3g browsing, at least in naija, is definitely nt battery-friendly. Perhaps staying on EDGE might be a way out.

1 Like

Re: What Depletes Phone Battery Most? by Nobody: 11:01am On Sep 25, 2011
Those who think playing music kills battery just guess'd or have bad/unsuitable phones. With the advent of mp3, music players witnssd a revolution. Compression techniques and decoding algorthms for mp3 are very simple and consume little power. Phone manufactures such as apple and nokia have also bn able to exploit these advantges and can make phones whch will sing for hours on end with insignificant change in battery level. Am sure iPhone users can attest to this. Except, of course, one plays music with the backlight on. Even then, some phones are able to conserve energy by systematically dimming the backlight.
Re: What Depletes Phone Battery Most? by Sike(m): 11:03am On Sep 25, 2011
sauer:

Whle browsing remains the number one possibility, what kills a phone's battery dpnds extensvly on the type & brand of phone. As most 2g phone users will attest, browsing wont really kill their phone's dat much. Calling would. But browsin is definitely the enemy of a 3g phone. 2g users are on gprs/edge whose signalling don't drain the battery dat much. 3g radios, on the other hand, move sharply from idle to cell_DCH in seconds and in this state take about 40-60 times more power than it would in the idle state. Typically, most 3g network providers follow 3gpp's specs by signalling btw an intermediate cell_FACH, which consumes significntly less power and stil allows data transfer and quick session resumption, and the usual cell_DCH where loads of data transfer take place. But not our  own MTN, glo, etc. They keep u on DCH so they can tax your credit (more data, more money). While idle, packet/data service remains attach'd, mostly on DCH, for significantly long, and this continues to drain  battery power. And we are talkin about uplink & downlink here. In a worse position are those who use emailing on phone and must constantly probe the server (SMTP) for new mails.
So, the solution: use WiFi. Data exchange with wireless uses a different protocol which is battery-friendly. Packets are merely being routed to the phone here.
Some ntwrk provdrs are however thinkin of migrating from DCH to cell_PCH which consumes as low as 1-2 times power when doing data. Bt that's anther story entirely!

Summary: 2g users can browse all day long w/o much worries. But combind with calls they should worry bout their batteries. Not 3g users. 3g browsing, at least in naija, is definitely nt battery-friendly. Perhaps staying on EDGE might be a way out.

Well Said bro. *thumbz up*
Re: What Depletes Phone Battery Most? by Nobody: 11:19am On Sep 25, 2011
ideylaff:

@rafhell post some sense or please stop bn childish, do you have to be rude,

Stop making out you are some Bill Gates or Steve Jobs, Device Guru. people can learn 4rm this thread OK,

if you know fine let others 2 know as well

Sometimes it's frustrating using a nokia 3310 without any modern features ! Don't mind him
Re: What Depletes Phone Battery Most? by Ola3tag(m): 11:31am On Sep 25, 2011
the developement of 3.5g is the worst thing that has ever happen to any battery of a phone, i even know of some network providers runtesting the 4g network which is 6.7 times more harsh than the previous 3.5g
Tis now left for tech manufacturers to start making chips,screen operating system processors that should be a very friendly with the battery life nd at the same time need lot nd lots of improvement on their battery.
Cant they just think of something better than li-ion?
Re: What Depletes Phone Battery Most? by sheyguy: 11:32am On Sep 25, 2011
Streaming of videos encompasses continuous browsing and Playing of video as well, ordinarily each of these two should be at the top of the chart(Excluding streaming).
if i must add the battery/phone model factor is not as pronounced as all other factor. does not really depend much cos battery
Re: What Depletes Phone Battery Most? by Ola3tag(m): 11:33am On Sep 25, 2011
the developement of 3.5g is the worst thing that has ever happen to any battery of a phone, i even know of some network providers runtesting the 4g network which is 6.7 times more harsh than the previous 3.5g
Tis now left for tech manufacturers to start making chips,screen operating system processors that should be a very friendly with the battery life nd at the same time need lot nd lots of improvement on their battery.
Cant they just think of something better than li-ion?
Re: What Depletes Phone Battery Most? by moonraker(m): 11:37am On Sep 25, 2011
Everyones Mileage may differ but From using two smartphones

Iphone 4 & Samsung Galaxy S 2, I can say that the top three

items that depletes my battery faster are

1. Calls: High quality voice transmission through the use of 3G has bring a battery to its knees

2. Pinging eg whatsapp, Yahoo msg etc are constantly transmitting data TO and from your phone. Not forgetting that it is PUSH so it is instanteous

3. Games and Videos

Based on my test on the iphone 4, if i disable 3G, i can listen to my music for 6hours straight and still be having 80% battery life
Re: What Depletes Phone Battery Most? by Lekkerlife(m): 11:38am On Sep 25, 2011
Learn how to make euros every week, enjoy free holiday trip to anywhere in the world
Go to the link on my signature below or call 0809 5720 706
Thx

Re: What Depletes Phone Battery Most? by Donmic1(m): 11:58am On Sep 25, 2011
guy browsin dey kil my ba3 die,2dly playin games and much call makin also dipletes ba3.
Re: What Depletes Phone Battery Most? by ogbongzky(m): 11:58am On Sep 25, 2011
2go grin
Re: What Depletes Phone Battery Most? by moshoodn(m): 12:20pm On Sep 25, 2011
Browsing and 2go in my own case.

But guys, i think the battery manufacturers have to step up their technology.
Battery tech has been stagnant for a long time.
The days of 3310 are over long ago. We're in sophisticated gadgets age, more transmissions, large screens, 3G, processors, etc all working on same battery made for 3310. . . Too bad.
Re: What Depletes Phone Battery Most? by Ekiti1: 12:25pm On Sep 25, 2011
1) Anything that leaves the backlight permantly on and
2) Anything that involves active radiation
Browsing combines both, so its browsing.
Re: What Depletes Phone Battery Most? by MMM2(m): 12:26pm On Sep 25, 2011
free mid-nite call angry
Re: What Depletes Phone Battery Most? by Nobody: 12:30pm On Sep 25, 2011
Seems most people like watching Indecency-graphic movies on their phone ?
Re: What Depletes Phone Battery Most? by Kalman(m): 12:41pm On Sep 25, 2011
The Cellphone Standby (radio) consumes Power most of all, Not even the backlite (Maybe a bit technical for u to understand, except ur inclined)

Use the andriod phone and you can find what uses the battery under

Settings --> About Phone --> Battery --> Battery Use

(1) (2) (Reply)

Mtn Has Started Billing For Dstv Mobile / SAMSUNG Galaxy S40 Is Out (pics)..... / I'm Done With Xiaomi Brand

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 40
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.