Welcome, Guest: Join Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 2,715,705 members, 6,419,048 topics. Date: Tuesday, 03 August 2021 at 11:43 AM

The Yoruba-edo (or Edo-yoruba) Relationship - Culture (3) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Culture / The Yoruba-edo (or Edo-yoruba) Relationship (8689 Views)

Village In America Where The Yoruba Culture Is Being Practiced (Photos) / Facts About The Yoruba Enclave In The Heart Of Aniocha In Delta State / Is This Really A Display Of A Bini [edo] Or A Yoruba Cultural Attire? (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: The Yoruba-edo (or Edo-yoruba) Relationship by exotik: 12:13pm On Nov 05, 2011
ahhh negroe, funny how you lost your "sharp" tongue full of insults and decided to pipe your azz down.

Brass is a free metal and no particular race own it ecxlusively.  So you cannot say Igboukwu had Brass Ife did not, therefore Ife got brass from igboukwu. 

right or wrong?  Answer that first and you have solved half the problem with your sour hatred.

there are rocks and stones in yorubaland but did they use the material to build pyramids like the ancient egyptians who directly ruled over the hebrew people u are fascinated about? no!  so no one is talking about the exclusivity of brass to igbo-ukwu. the material may have been everywhere but who were the earliest to start using the material to express themselves thru arts? thats the question. and oh btw, speaking of pyramids, do you know the group dat built something that looked like a pyramid  in nigeria? well, it was the same igbo. and they used mud, a material dat was readily available to them. so igbo "hebrew" claim is actually way better and more valid than urs.

The other half you can solve with this:  igboukwu art is sub standard to Ife art and they are not of the same style and genre.  Do you disagree?

well, that is your personal opinion and obviously a biased one. and whether it is "substandard" or not is subjective because people appreciate and draw meaning from art works differently. what matters is that they were enlightened enough to use a technique and material to express themselves thru an art form long before ife picked it up.

There were many indigenous people on the land before Oduduwa arrived, in timeline their culture and native customs were older but yet they ended under the influence and sovereignty of Ife.  Do you dispute this?

but who were the people under the sovereignty of ife, apart from the ifes themselves who oduduwa subjugated?
were the jebusites jebu-shytes amongst them? grin grin i dont think so, but u can always correct me if i am wrong.
Re: The Yoruba-edo (or Edo-yoruba) Relationship by tpia5: 2:03pm On Nov 05, 2011
^You're extremely uncultured and very uncouth.

Anyway, na you sabi-its your life.

@ topic

i consider it an extremely wild leap of fantasy (not uncommon here) to assume just because a sculpture was found somewhere, therefore it is linked to somewhere else.

In the absolute lack of any connection between said sculptures but simply out of a desire for oneupmanship and the typical ignorant bad belle, quite shameful how some people want to display their jungle mindset which resists every attempt at civilization.

These jokers want to ignore the central african bantu connections to that region and instead want to jump on an area which clearly derived its own influence from a more northernly/westernly direction.

Na so e easy?
Re: The Yoruba-edo (or Edo-yoruba) Relationship by exotik: 2:12pm On Nov 05, 2011
^ lol, tufia, and u are a trashy slut coz sluts can never say bye and mean it. and i knew u will come back for my azz kissing. so keep wrapping those kpomo lips around it.
Re: The Yoruba-edo (or Edo-yoruba) Relationship by Rgp92: 3:21pm On Nov 05, 2011
Fight another place folks. Move to racism section if you wanna insult eachothers.
Re: The Yoruba-edo (or Edo-yoruba) Relationship by amor4ce(m): 9:21pm On Nov 05, 2011
Re: The Yoruba-edo (or Edo-yoruba) Relationship by NegroNtns(m): 9:16pm On Nov 06, 2011
Exotic,

With your response you have shown that you are a easy bait. It was a trap to disarm you, not to ease off on my attack.

Your response to the questions is a followup in concession to what lakal, rgp and myself have told you in numerous posts that igboukwu was used as a prop for the story - a way of saying brass art is a surplus in Africa and not an exclusive of Greko-Italian dominance.  In Africa, everyone has brass art, look, even igboukwu is not left behind!

To erase any doubt, I pointed you to the map showing the stream of Imperial civilization in Nigeria and this igboukwu you claim is blank on that map.  How could you not be on that map if you had any weight of influence in Brass art?

Your brothers said their light skin and ingenuity for producing fake and substandard mechanical parts qualify them to be in the league of Jewish family.

Now you are claiming that your igboukwu substandard art qualify you to join the league of civilized Empires but the museum say no, you are just a prop for presenting backdrop to Imperial history.  You need to go argue your case with the museum and leave Oduduwa children alone.  You are making a fool of your Igboukwu history, whatever that is.  You should face to East and tell the Cameroonians how great you are.  The West does not recognize your Igboukwu.  Sorry!! grin

Anyway, I suggest you look in the BBC documentary before you leave.
Re: The Yoruba-edo (or Edo-yoruba) Relationship by exotik: 11:24pm On Nov 06, 2011
negroe, pls! grin

u actually came out "blazing" only to realize that u are not the only one who can throw insult, so u had to pipe your azz down. so i was the one who disarmed u not the other way round.

and that was actually a seperate documentary different from the one igbo-ukwu was included. but from what im getting from your post, u are happy that igbo-ukwu was not included in one documentary, but in another documentary by the same museum where igbo-ukwu was included, u say it was just a "prop" and does not prove influence.

well, me i nor too sabi oyinbo like una but this is the definition of "prop" according to the english dictionary.

prop

1. to support, or prevent from falling, with or as if with a prop (often followed by up).
2. to rest (a thing) against a support.
3. to support or sustain (often followed by up).
4. a stick, rod, pole, beam, or other rigid support.
5. a person or thing serving as a support or stay.

^^^

from what im getting from the definition, it means igbo-ukwu was the foundation ife was built on, and without igbo-ukwu, ife would not have existed. and guess what? that was why the musuem included it!

You should face to East and tell the Cameroonians how great you are.  The West does not recognize your Igboukwu.

dis was funny because u are telling me to face borders created by the europeans when in fact there was a time when such borders never existed, east and west.
Re: The Yoruba-edo (or Edo-yoruba) Relationship by exotik: 11:43pm On Nov 06, 2011
and whats so diff from the two works?

they are both figures of human head
they are both wearing a crown which means they are important figures
they both have long linear facial marks
and they are both made from the same material.

so whats so diff apart from one having a more "natural" look?

Re: The Yoruba-edo (or Edo-yoruba) Relationship by NegroNtns(m): 2:21am On Nov 07, 2011
Your igboukwu ass is cluthing at straws to legitimize an irrelevant piece of art. Yes, you are definitely correct that when you use someone or something as prop they are in secondary supporting role and not the main theme or the focus. Igboukwu was not the focus but was put there to support the discredit of European claim of uniqueness in the style. It was not there to support Head of Ife. In other words, it supported an argument but not the art.

Does that sink in to your d u m m y brain matter now or would you still like to cluth for more straws?
Re: The Yoruba-edo (or Edo-yoruba) Relationship by exotik: 3:06am On Nov 07, 2011
lol @ clutching at straws, i have heard that before, so come up with something new . . . erha-ewe!

Yes, you are definitely correct that when you use someone or something as prop they are in secondary supporting role and not the main theme or the focus.

u sound confused and actually the one clutching at straws coz i never said igbo-ukwu was the main theme, dumbass. but like i have been saying, it was included to prove a point.

Igboukwu was not the focus but was put there to support the discredit of European claim of uniqueness in the style.

and i thot that was the so-called "realism" that igbo-ukwu didnt possess. yet, it was put there to discredit european claim of uniqueness to it. another dumb comment from u.

It was not there to support Head of Ife.  In other words, it supported an argument but not the art.

and what was the argument it supported about? was it not about the art? abi na about the amala? u amala-loving buffoon! so how can u support an argument about an art piece and not the art itself? cant u see how dumb u sound? so instead of posting dumb shyte, go chop amala. idi0t.
Re: The Yoruba-edo (or Edo-yoruba) Relationship by NegroNtns(m): 9:58pm On Nov 07, 2011
Im going to open a new topic specifically for you to teach igboukwu art. Lets see what igboukwu is made of since you are so adamant on your s t u p i d r-e-tard-ed statements. Come and make a fool of igbo culture on this new topic if you dare!
Re: The Yoruba-edo (or Edo-yoruba) Relationship by NegroNtns(m): 10:02pm On Nov 07, 2011
Hey lakal, sorry for the derail, I should have lured the eediot away from here long ago instead of going back and forth with him on your thread. Please forgive me brother. wink
Re: The Yoruba-edo (or Edo-yoruba) Relationship by tpia5: 10:16pm On Nov 07, 2011
The ediot is just trying to derail the thread that's all.

Doesnt this section need an additional mod since other sections have at least two.

A mod with maturity plz, not some jumping cricket.
Re: The Yoruba-edo (or Edo-yoruba) Relationship by NegroNtns(m): 10:28pm On Nov 07, 2011
I agree with tpia, exotic has no rational argument, he is just highly disorderly and restless. I should have kept him busy with his own topic if I thought about it early on. sorry y'all for wasting the time.
Re: The Yoruba-edo (or Edo-yoruba) Relationship by amor4ce(m): 11:07pm On Nov 07, 2011
Why his focus on Ife and not Benin bronze artworks as well? Before colonialism, the Yoruba had been interacting peacefully with his neighbours including the Hausa (before the Fulani), Nupe, Edo and others. However, since the drawing of Nigeria some Igbo have been trying to exert/show superiority and dominance over the Yoruba, and particularly the Yoruba. Why the focus on Yoruba?
Re: The Yoruba-edo (or Edo-yoruba) Relationship by exotik: 11:20pm On Nov 07, 2011
i will take it that the iyewe and erha-ewe have run out of what to say. so u two idi0ts are now on ignore until u add something to the topic.
Re: The Yoruba-edo (or Edo-yoruba) Relationship by exotik: 11:32pm On Nov 07, 2011
Why his focus on Ife and not Benin bronze artworks as well?

so why are u waiting for me to talk about it? why dont talk about it if that is what interests you?

Before colonialism, the Yoruba had been interacting peacefully with his neighbours including the Hausa (before the Fulani), Nupe, Edo and others.

lol, really? that was funny. grin coz oyo held some hausas as slaves until they librated themselves with the help of the fulanis during the fulani jihad and they have occupied old oyo till date. as for the nupes,  they also fought and conquered the oyos and they occupied oyo at a point until they were reconquered. and it is ryt there on the wiki page of oyo that they failed to conquer benin. so much for interacting "peacefully" with your neighbors. yeah ryt.
Re: The Yoruba-edo (or Edo-yoruba) Relationship by tevinsolt: 6:32am On Jan 06, 2012
i've read about the nok culture and i dont know where the flying bleep igbo ukwu or whatever has to do with the civilization? grin
Re: The Yoruba-edo (or Edo-yoruba) Relationship by Obalufon: 6:32pm On Apr 08, 2012
Yoruba civilization is equating with that of the Greek . Ibo were still in cannibalistic state before British colonization, 99percent were still running around barely clothed till 60s

1 Share

Re: The Yoruba-edo (or Edo-yoruba) Relationship by NRIPRIEST(m): 7:42pm On Apr 09, 2012
Obalufon: Yoruba civilization is equating with that of the Greek . Ibo were still in cannibalistic state before British colonization, 99percent were still running around barely clothed till 60s

Exactly what "yiba-ara" civilisation are you talking about ? What where your civilised yiba-ara people wearing before the they got ass whopping from the nupes,hausa invasion and the shameful defeats the Oyo kingdom surfered in the hands of the jihadists? Do you want me to continue!
Sometimes it better to just shut up rather than open your mouth and embarass yourself!

Am sure you never heard about the "akwaette" fabric in the 17 and 18centuries! You like claiming things you didnt invent, including the "Ife king head" sculpture which you copied from the "Nri head" which was made in about 4cen. before ife kingdom developed!
I will advice you yiba-aras to shut up and continue to chest beat without mentioning Igbos to get your full credits!

Weak minded "dark monkeys"(yoriba) !!!
Re: The Yoruba-edo (or Edo-yoruba) Relationship by aljharem(m): 11:57pm On Apr 09, 2012
NRI PRIEST:

Exactly what "yiba-ara" civilisation are you talking about ? What where your civilised yiba-ara people wearing before the they got ass whopping from the nupes,hausa invasion and the shameful defeats the Oyo kingdom surfered in the hands of the jihadists? Do you want me to continue!
Sometimes it better to just shut up rather than open your mouth and embarass yourself!

Am sure you never heard about the "akwaette" fabric in the 17 and 18centuries! You like claiming things you didnt invent, including the "Ife king head" sculpture which you copied from the "Nri head" which was made in about 4cen. before ife kingdom developed!
I will advice you yiba-aras to shut up and continue to chest beat without mentioning Igbos to get your full credits!

ignore the mumu, we have ideeiots on nairaland
Re: The Yoruba-edo (or Edo-yoruba) Relationship by Obalufon: 6:56pm On Apr 16, 2012
You need to read history NRI PRIEST.I guess no need for you to read any history because your people never evolve enough to make one. we see you people as animals, Your people had to be ruled directly by the whites because of your bestial nature and lawlessness , What the heck are you talking about ?Nupe and Hausa. Hausa was used as slaves for long time by yorubas before the coming of the fulanis traders who later carried the banner of islam Jihad, prior to that They've been peacefully islamizing the people and making friends with the chiefs . Nupe invaded oyo at point in history but they were later checked under the reign of Ajiboyede, the Oyo defeated the Nupe and reclaimed Oyo Ile Back.

Oyo had been trading with the Fulanis for centuries before they took advantage of division of the empire by a greedy general to capture ilorin when the empire was at its brink of disintegration ,there was civil war between Yorubas nation.Oyo fought back and recaptured ilorin the Fulanis had to send back for reinforcement from sokoto but Oyo could not maintain its ground because of polities and jealousy amongst it's Camp warlords and chiefs and the effect islam had had on the people.

The Ibadan Wars: Fulanis Defeated in Oshogbo. First, Ibadan was founded in 1828 -1835 by brave and tested soldiers. During the same period, roaming Oyo soldiers occupied Ijaiye under Dado and Kurunmi Alaafin Atiba founded New Oyo (Ago-Oja) in 1837 These leaders saw their mission as continuing the war of resistance against the Fulani until the last were completely driven out of Yorubaland.. Oluyole of Ibadan was so successful that the Fulani army was defeated in 1840 in Oshogbo thereby recovering some of the lost Yoruba towns. It was morale boosting. The victory encouraged the Ekitis to invite the Ibadan to help them drive out the Fulanis from Ilorin who had been threatening Osi, Otun, Aisegba, Ikole and Itaji. Ibadan had grown to become the strongest political force in Yorubaland. In those 25 years, virtually all the Oyo speaking areas, the Ife Kingdom, the Ijesha Kingdom, the whole of Ekiti, Akoko and Yagbe, came under what has been called The Ibadan Empire from which the Fulani invaders had been driven out".
Re: The Yoruba-edo (or Edo-yoruba) Relationship by Obalufon: 7:28pm On Apr 16, 2012
NRI PRIEST:

Look how your people were in the 30s, when my people have been making history for thousands of years . Obalata god of white clothes predate Christianity by thousands of years. You people were not different from primitive forest congoloid tribes, no dressing culture .Read history and stop being delusional if not for AWOLOWO you people will still be running around naked ,he massively clothed you people out of pity.Take a look at your grand daddy

1 Like 1 Share

Re: The Yoruba-edo (or Edo-yoruba) Relationship by Obalufon: 7:41pm On Apr 16, 2012
alj harem:

ignore the mumu, we have ideeiots on nairaland
..Your people don't know when to shut your yap..mouthy pigs ,know you are upset when I'm giving you fact of who you are .
Re: The Yoruba-edo (or Edo-yoruba) Relationship by Obalufon: 8:26pm On Apr 16, 2012
Show me a picture of your King in your Kingdom .The picture below was taken in 1912

1 Share

Re: The Yoruba-edo (or Edo-yoruba) Relationship by Obalufon: 8:40pm On Apr 16, 2012
Alake of Egba
Re: The Yoruba-edo (or Edo-yoruba) Relationship by Obalufon: 12:49am On Apr 17, 2012
Alake of Egba land

(1) (2) (3) (Reply)

Post Swear words from your language here / Investigating Divorce Cases In Yorubaland. / Overcoming Stereotypes

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2021 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 172
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.