Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,148,890 members, 7,802,864 topics. Date: Friday, 19 April 2024 at 11:57 PM

Why Don't Nigerians Like To Be Corrected? - Nairaland / General - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Why Don't Nigerians Like To Be Corrected? (4315 Views)

Read How Nigerian Bosses In The UK Treat Fellow Nigerians Like Slaves / Interesting Facts You Would Like To Know / Why Do Nigerians Like Repititive Words? (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (Reply) (Go Down)

Why Don't Nigerians Like To Be Corrected? by riyageh(f): 12:19am On Sep 25, 2011
Why exactly are most Nigerians sensitive when they or someone else is corrected? I know this does not apply to every Nigerian, but even on this site, when a person corrects the grammar of a posts, all hell is let loose. I am beginning to wonder if English is no longer the lingua franca for Nigeria.
Re: Why Don't Nigerians Like To Be Corrected? by obowunmi(m): 9:02am On Sep 25, 2011
OP: are you bored ?
Re: Why Don't Nigerians Like To Be Corrected? by harakiri(m): 9:16am On Sep 25, 2011
You talk about correcting grammatical errors of others whereas the short post of yours is tainted with incorrect syntaxes and blunders e.g you typed "correcting the grammer of A POSTS". Do you see how you people keep embarassing yourselves with hypocrisy?
Re: Why Don't Nigerians Like To Be Corrected? by sholaeco(m): 12:25pm On Sep 25, 2011
@ /1)

riyageh:what makes u think you are different ?
Re: Why Don't Nigerians Like To Be Corrected? by riyageh(f): 5:02pm On Sep 25, 2011
@Harakiri: if you wanted to correct me, you should have done so. Obviously I am not averse to correction. It seems that rather than accept correction when we make mistakes, we get sensitive and start to point out the mistakes of others with the intent to embarrass them. I accept your correction and no I am not embarrassed neither am I a hypocrite. Learning is a continuous process and when we close our mind to learning with arguments like "it's not my father's language" we only hold ourselves back.
harakiri:

You talk about correcting grammatical errors of others whereas the short post of yours is tainted with incorrect syntaxes and blunders e.g you typed "correcting the grammer of A POSTS". Do you see how you people keep embarassing yourselves with hypocrisy?

1 Like

Re: Why Don't Nigerians Like To Be Corrected? by riyageh(f): 5:08pm On Sep 25, 2011
I have to be truthful and say yes I am. I had some free time and was browsing on nairaland and noticed how difficult it is to correct someone without them biting your head off. A few more days and the boredom will be history.

obowunmi:

OP: are you bored ?
Re: Why Don't Nigerians Like To Be Corrected? by harakiri(m): 5:11pm On Sep 25, 2011
@riyageh, You have just shot yourself by behaving the same way as the people you are accusing. I corrected you and you replied with a negative tone. Who is the accuser and who is the accused? You have failed woefully and you are guilty of both. Make an attempt to reason and think constructively before you open a dumb a$$ thread next time. It's not you know English isn't your language. What a bloody hypocritical dumb a$$! ! ! Good heavens!
Re: Why Don't Nigerians Like To Be Corrected? by riyageh(f): 5:19pm On Sep 25, 2011
I fail to see where I implied I was different or the same. It's an observation, you either give your opinion or move on to another topic. If you make a mistake and someone points it out, what's so hard about accepting it, or better still checking it out and learning. When someone corrects you, it is an opportunity to learn not a battle ground to see who can deliver the most insults. I believe a persons online character is a window of their true self, if this is true then many of us miss out on great learning and teaching opportunities.

sholaeco:

@ /1)

Re: Why Don't Nigerians Like To Be Corrected? by harakiri(m): 5:22pm On Sep 25, 2011
Look at whose talking. Same person talking is guilty of what he talks about. This forum is crowded with deluded individuals. Utterly pathetic!
Re: Why Don't Nigerians Like To Be Corrected? by riyageh(f): 5:30pm On Sep 25, 2011
@Harakiri: maybe my initial question was not clear enough, I refer to genuine corrections not insult laden attempts at correction that you perpetuate. When you want to correct, you identify the mistake and post the correct version, that's how you teach and share knowledge, and it is this form of correction that I wonder why people get sensitive about. Your way of correcting is a great example of what a molder of young minds should not be because you would first shred the person to bits before giving a half hearted attempt at correcting. It is ineffective at best and damaging at it's worst.

I make no accusation against anybody, just an observation made, and an attempt to understand why.

harakiri:

@riyageh, You have just shot yourself by behaving the same way as the people you are accusing. I corrected you and you replied with a negative tone. Who is the accuser and who is the accused? You have failed woefully and you are guilty of both. Make an attempt to reason and think constructively before you open a dumb a$$ thread next time. It's not you know English isn't your language. What a bloody hypocritical dumb a$$! ! ! Good heavens!
Re: Why Don't Nigerians Like To Be Corrected? by harakiri(m): 5:38pm On Sep 25, 2011
@riyageh, First thing you need to understand is, not everyone is as dumb as you think and a lot of us are very good in analysing the reason behind the post. You didn't open this post to make a difference rather you opened it to run down people who you think you're better than. For you to open such a thread, I would have expected you to have an impeccable command of queen's english but that's not the case here. Any immature mind who reads your post would presume you have been correcting people who commit lingual errors but instead of gratitude, they keep giving you rebuttals. That's the impression you intended to create and unfortunately for you, I happened to be around. Like I said before, make an effort to think your intended topics through before creating a thread. Get it?
Re: Why Don't Nigerians Like To Be Corrected? by riyageh(f): 5:53pm On Sep 25, 2011
I quite agree with you on this one, deluded individuals like you are impossible to have a conversation with.  

harakiri:

Look at whose talking. Same person talking is guilty of what he talks about. This forum is crowded with deluded individuals. Utterly pathetic!
Re: Why Don't Nigerians Like To Be Corrected? by riyageh(f): 6:09pm On Sep 25, 2011
Unless you are a mind reader, I don't know how you can discern my motive for my post. Having an impeccable command of the English language does not mean a person cannot make mistakes. I lay no claim to either, just had a thought. My dear I don't need nairaland to make myself feel good. I see people I am better than daily, and see those who are better than me also. As someone else astutely identified, I was bored hence my post since this topic is not one of great importance even to me, but you wow, it seems the only life you have is nairaland where you spew stupidity as wisdom for the immature minds you seem to be so worried about. I am yet to see you answer any question objectively on this forum. Your job description on nairaland is to be a spoiler. Maybe if you had an actual occupation you wouldn't be such a divisive influence here, and the greater part of your life won't be spent being foolish for the whole world to see.

harakiri:

@riyageh, First thing you need to understand is, not everyone is as dumb as you think and a lot of us are very good in analysing the reason behind the post. You didn't open this post to make a difference rather you opened it to run down people who you think you're better than. For you to open such a thread, I would have expected you to have an impeccable command of queen's english but that's not the case here. Any immature mind who reads your post would presume you have been correcting people who commit lingual errors but instead of gratitude, they keep giving you rebuttals. That's the impression you intended to create and unfortunately for you, I happened to be around. Like I said before, make an effort to think your intended topics through before creating a thread. Get it?
Re: Why Don't Nigerians Like To Be Corrected? by Nobody: 7:55am On Sep 26, 2011
Am definitely not taking sides in this brawl, but must remark op's observation is actually fairly correct. Nigerians, and people on here, dont like to be correct'd. I think it stems from our relatively ignorant/closed nature compared to other peoples. I know of nigerians who'd immediately talk you down when you attempt to correct them. And yes, i know of many NLnders.
However, one must also point out that these errors, or blunders if you like, make real humor. That's something NL is not lacking and that's why many can't help but come back again and again!
Re: Why Don't Nigerians Like To Be Corrected? by member479760: 8:14am On Sep 26, 2011
what did you gain from correcting grammar? na your mother language? or briticos dey vex sey you speak well?
Re: Why Don't Nigerians Like To Be Corrected? by Nobody: 9:57am On Sep 26, 2011
I am enjoying everything here.
Re: Why Don't Nigerians Like To Be Corrected? by hallmark77: 10:12am On Sep 26, 2011
The point is,its very wrong to correct blunders of other people.
Re: Why Don't Nigerians Like To Be Corrected? by pinkrex(m): 10:29am On Sep 26, 2011
For just an observation see the kinda attacks launched at the poster undecided undecided undecided

There is nothing wrong in correcting people of their mistakes, either in spellings or sentence construct but however it depends on her you paint it to them.

If you are very smart and diplomatic on how your correct people without them feeling humiliated then you'll certainly get a positive response. smiley
Re: Why Don't Nigerians Like To Be Corrected? by pinkrex(m): 10:32am On Sep 26, 2011
hallmark77:

The point is,its very wrong to correct blunders of other people.

Its not wrong, Its never!!!

They might never know it or take the time to know it until their attention is drawn to it; besides people correcting you doesn't mean you are an illiterate .

For me most times I multi task to reply posts on NL which i make alotta mistakes in doing so, but that doesn't make me dumb. And if im corrected in the right manner ill take it in high favour smiley
Re: Why Don't Nigerians Like To Be Corrected? by walcolm(m): 11:14am On Sep 26, 2011
riyageh:

Why exactly are most Nigerians sensitive when they or someone else is corrected? I know this does not apply to every Nigerian, but even on this site, when a person corrects the grammar of a posts, all hell is let loose. I am beginning to wonder if English is no longer the lingua franca for Nigeria.

well, i dont know how vast your knowledge of the internet and worldwide web is but it has always been considered rude to correct other people's grammar if it is posted in cyberspace. a few other ethical rules are do not type in upper case, do not type in bold or red font

i noticed your location says US, if you get on a public blog and start correcting people's grammar on a US website, you will get the same response so the reactions you have received has nothing to do with Nigerians
Re: Why Don't Nigerians Like To Be Corrected? by maclatunji: 11:18am On Sep 26, 2011
The poster is right. Many Nigerians think you hate them when you correct or criticise them. I criticise people based on principles and not sentiments. However in a sentimental society like ours, such behaviour is frowned-upon. You hear things like: "Even if he did wrong, you don't have to criticise him like that; he is your brother."

1 Like

Re: Why Don't Nigerians Like To Be Corrected? by pinkrex(m): 11:28am On Sep 26, 2011
maclatunji:

The poster is right. Many Nigerians think you hate them when you correct or criticise them. I criticise people based on principles and not sentiments. However in a sentimental society like ours, such behaviour is frowned-upon. You hear things like: "Even if he did wrong, you don't have to criticise him like that; he is your brother."

True but however if you need to correct someone and you don't want to embarrass them then you'll need to tell them in a matured way undecided
Re: Why Don't Nigerians Like To Be Corrected? by dabrake(m): 11:32am On Sep 26, 2011
harakiri:

God of mercy. What again wil i not read in this forum?
sholaeco:

@ /1)

sholaeco:

@ /1)

Typical Nigerianess.
@op, the 2 abov posts shows that ur hypothesis is on track
Re: Why Don't Nigerians Like To Be Corrected? by maclatunji: 11:42am On Sep 26, 2011
pinkrex:

True but however if you need to correct someone and you don't want to embarrass them then you'll need to tell them in a matured way undecided

True, but sometimes you have to call a spade a spade and not- big scoop.
Re: Why Don't Nigerians Like To Be Corrected? by agitator: 11:47am On Sep 26, 2011
pinkrex:

Its not wrong, Its never!!!

They might never know it or take the time to know it until their attention is drawn to it; besides people correcting you doesn't mean you are an illiterate .

For me most times I multi task to reply posts on NL which i make alotta mistakes in doing so, but that doesn't make me dumb. And if im corrected in the right manner ill take it in high favour smiley

Most people also multi-task, because they are either replying to post/s at work. The primary issue on their minds is to post their opinions and not how grammatically correct their opinion is but getting the message across. wink wink wink wink
Re: Why Don't Nigerians Like To Be Corrected? by pinkrex(m): 11:53am On Sep 26, 2011
agitator:

Most people also multi-task, because they are either replying to post/s at work. The primary issue on their minds is to post their opinions and not how grammatically correct their opinion is but getting the message across. wink wink wink wink

Well, someone dint realise that. He criticised me with his eggs open for counter criticism grin grin grin
Re: Why Don't Nigerians Like To Be Corrected? by Nobody: 12:27pm On Sep 26, 2011
@Op, Not jxt On here nor is it only on Grammactical correction basis.

Most Nigerians i've met are like 'Come on dont correct me, i know it all'! Forgetting easily that no knowledge is a waste and that 'Perfection' is only of God!

I love my Life for many things which acceptance of corrections happen to be one, since am not English, only had my Education limited to Bachelor Degrees, i thought there was a good reason for me to accept my mistakes both grammatically and whatsoeva.

Nigerians are Jxt inexplicable, Yeah our Colonial masters are the britons but that doesnt entail that we've known all English, that Soyinka bagged in a Prof Degree doesnt mean he wont make a mistake.
undecided
Re: Why Don't Nigerians Like To Be Corrected? by pinkrex(m): 12:30pm On Sep 26, 2011
El Guapo:

@Op, Not jxt On here nor is it only on Grammactical correction basis.

Most Nigerians i've met are like 'Come on dont correct me, i know it all'! Forgetting easily that no knowledge is a waste and that 'Perfection' is only of God!

I love my Life for many things which acceptance of corrections happen to be one, since am not English, only had my Education limited to Bachelor Degrees, i thought there was a good reason for me to accept my mistakes both grammatically and whatsoeva.

Nigerians are Jxt inexplicable, Yeah our Colonial masters are the britons but that doesnt entail that we've known all English, that Soyinka bagged in a Prof Degree doesnt mean he wont make a mistake.
undecided

With the above . . . , . . , you have no option than to accept correction in whatever manner without complaints tongue tongue tongue grin grin grin grin
Re: Why Don't Nigerians Like To Be Corrected? by KDULAR: 12:50pm On Sep 26, 2011
@ OP , you are spot on and your immediate adversaries on the thread just proved you right and tried hard to drag you into the pit but you scaled through .   I think it's an issue of  either up-bringing, experience and what we decided to imbibe as as an individual.
We live in a world where the basics of communal living and responsibility is fast eroding and where we  have deranged Pride believe we are alpha and omega  shocked shocked  shocked accompanying that is the incorrigible nature.furthermore, we are fast loosing the intangible sense of respect for other poeple. Also I have observed that  we become tend to equate knowledge and eloquence with how much we are good at throwing abuses at each other.

If you are quick to abusing, defaming  and cursing people, you definitely be sensitive to innocuous  statements in the form of corrections and thus irrationally flares  defensively  at any coming in your direction.  tongue tongue tongue.

Let also note that ( in my own view) accepting a correction, is quite different from someone correcting perceived flaws.
Re: Why Don't Nigerians Like To Be Corrected? by agitator: 12:55pm On Sep 26, 2011
KDULAR:

@ OP , you are spot on and your immediate adversaries on the thread just proved you right and tried hard to drag you into the pit but you scaled through .   I think it's an issue of  either up-bringing, experience and what we decided to imbibe as as an individual.
We live in a world where the basics of communal living and responsibility is fast eroding and where we  have deranged Pride believe we are alpha and omega  shocked shocked  shocked accompanying that is the incorrigible nature.furthermore, we are fast loosing the intangible sense of respect for other poeple. Also I have observed that  we become tend to equate knowledge and eloquence with how much we are good at throwing abuses at each other.

If you are quick to abusing, defaming  and cursing people, you definitely be sensitive to innocuous  statements in the form of corrections and thus irrationally flares  defensively  at any coming in your direction.  tongue tongue tongue.

Let also note that ( in my own view) accepting a correction, is quite different from someone correcting perceived flaws.

Na English grammar dey cause all this. this woman dey talk of correction generally or she dey after english grammar correction. See china dey progress without English grammar. Abi na because of our English grammar wey no correct that's why we no fit progress?
Re: Why Don't Nigerians Like To Be Corrected? by pinkrex(m): 1:00pm On Sep 26, 2011
KDULAR:

I wonder how many people will benefit or understand this your jargon undecided

We are all literates but for the purpose of understanding and bridging the gap between our half baked graduates tongue, you should subscribe to light sentence constructs undecided
Re: Why Don't Nigerians Like To Be Corrected? by Nobody: 1:02pm On Sep 26, 2011
pinkrex:

With the above . . . , . . , you have no option than to accept correction in whatever manner without complaints tongue tongue tongue grin grin grin grin

Lol, Not at all nah grin

I do ask why am i been corrected, how much knowledge has the Individual correcting me got about what he's saying etc - I actually take time to extract the real words frm the fragamentary ones but then i dont take that as 'complaint' as u around notioned, i call it 'ascertion of self ignorance'! wink
grin

(1) (2) (Reply)

Happy Birthday Afam4eva!!!! / Mafia Banker: The Untold Story On The Actual Founder Of Zenith Bank And Lady / Funniest Posts On Nairaland!

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 61
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.