Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,150,450 members, 7,808,606 topics. Date: Thursday, 25 April 2024 at 02:13 PM

Request For Fingerprinting Causes Fall In Visa's Requests - Politics - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Politics / Request For Fingerprinting Causes Fall In Visa's Requests (5763 Views)

Another Buhari ‘walker’ Arrives Gombe With Over 70 Requests For President-elect / U.S. Requests For Buruji Kashamu’s Extradition / All APC Nairaland Supporters, AKA progressives, Fall In. (2) (3) (4)

(1) (Reply) (Go Down)

Request For Fingerprinting Causes Fall In Visa's Requests by OAM4J: 12:22am On Sep 26, 2011
Visa: Fingerprinting causes fall in requests

The introduction of fingerprinting for people in Nigeria who wanted visas to come to Ireland has resulted in a significant decrease in the number of applications.

From 2006 to 2008, the number of visa applications in Nigeria rose from 4,000 to 11,000, a rate of increase far in excess of what was being experienced elsewhere, according to the report of the Comptroller and Auditor General in Ireland.

A six-month pilot project was introduced in March 2010 that involved the introduction of two new steps in the Irish visa process.

Fingerprints were taken of applicants for Irish visas and the visa holders’ fingerprints were then checked when they arrived at Dublin airport.

The fingerprints taken in Nigeria were compared against data in Afis, a new automated fingerprint identification system that has been introduced for the use of the Garda and the Irish Naturalisation and Immigration Service.

The results of scanning the prints into the system were returned to the visa office of the Irish Embassy in Nigeria within 24 hours so they could be used as part of the visa-assessment process.

The pilot scheme coincided with a significant drop in the number of Nigerians seeking Irish visas, according to the report. A reduction in the number of asylum applications from Nigerian nationals was also identified as was the detection of a number of individuals seeking to re-enter Ireland who had already been deported.

No decision has been taken on the system’s future deployment.

The scanners can store images with a resolution of up to 1,000 dots to the inch. However, because of an industrial relations dispute at the Garda National Immigration Bureau offices in Dublin, the machines there are not being used.
Re: Request For Fingerprinting Causes Fall In Visa's Requests by moremi2008(m): 7:10am On Sep 26, 2011
Hahaha! God don catch them! Now they apply for visas with fake names and passports.
Re: Request For Fingerprinting Causes Fall In Visa's Requests by Nobody: 7:46am On Sep 26, 2011
I still dont see how this affect Visa request
Re: Request For Fingerprinting Causes Fall In Visa's Requests by Nobody: 8:23am On Sep 26, 2011
odiaero:

I still dont see how this affect Visa request

well me too
Re: Request For Fingerprinting Causes Fall In Visa's Requests by bestill1: 9:29am On Sep 26, 2011
I think the decrease is due to the fact the most people deported from Ireland or other European countries go back to for re-entry visas in another name. Very few come to Ireland for genuine reasons, a lot use Ireland as a back door entry to United Kingdom and other European countries, the land borders in Ireland are very porous and you can easily get to the Uk with little or no immigration check.
Re: Request For Fingerprinting Causes Fall In Visa's Requests by pinkrex(m): 10:11am On Sep 26, 2011
moremi2008:

Hahaha! God don catch them! Now they apply for visas with fake names and passports.

Why are you hating undecided
Re: Request For Fingerprinting Causes Fall In Visa's Requests by folahann(m): 10:26am On Sep 26, 2011
pinkrex:

Why are you hating undecided

wetin dem no go call 'hating' in Nigeria.
Criticize a movie or a song, u become a hater.

Even when you point out the wrong doing- which is very obvious that it's wrong- of people then you're hating. Na wa for Naija people.

Very soon the people that accuse Boko Haram will also be termed haterz
Re: Request For Fingerprinting Causes Fall In Visa's Requests by pinkrex(m): 10:36am On Sep 26, 2011
folahann:

wetin dem no go call 'hating' in Nigeria.
Criticize a movie or a song, u become a hater.

Even when you point out the wrong doing- which is very obvious that it's wrong- of people then you're hating. Na wa for Naija people.

Very soon the people that accuse Boko Haram will also be termed haterz

Fine!!! But what phrase should I have used when I exactly meant what it depicts?

Look at his open happiness, like that of a hater who doesn't want others to travel because he can't travel. If he applied for the same visa or he's even trying to apply, im sure he will find the addition tiring undecided undecided undecided
Re: Request For Fingerprinting Causes Fall In Visa's Requests by Bawss1(m): 10:44am On Sep 26, 2011
pinkrex:

Fine!!! But what phrase should I have used when I exactly meant what it depicts?

Look at his open happiness, like that of a hater who doesn't want others to travel because he can't travel. If he applied for the same visa or he's even trying to apply, im sure he will find the addition tiring undecided undecided undecided

Now[i] you[/i] are tripping. Where did that come line of thinking come from?
Re: Request For Fingerprinting Causes Fall In Visa's Requests by mcnepow(m): 10:50am On Sep 26, 2011
When has criticising a fradulent application for visa become hating
Re: Request For Fingerprinting Causes Fall In Visa's Requests by pinkrex(m): 10:57am On Sep 26, 2011
Bawss1:

Now[i] you[/i] are tripping. Where did that come line of thinking come from?

I multi task here man. . . ,   ,  .Don't judge undecided

Did you notice your trip in bold grin grin grin
mcnepow:

When has criticising a fradulent application for visa become hating

Sorry k, lets drop it. Since you don't get what i meant or I don't really know what im saying then there is no need to argue about it.

Focus on the topic undecided
Re: Request For Fingerprinting Causes Fall In Visa's Requests by mcnepow(m): 11:56am On Sep 26, 2011
^Better
Re: Request For Fingerprinting Causes Fall In Visa's Requests by juman(m): 12:35pm On Sep 26, 2011
The Fingerprinting thing scare people away.
Re: Request For Fingerprinting Causes Fall In Visa's Requests by werepeLeri: 1:20pm On Sep 26, 2011
blame it on GEJ.
Re: Request For Fingerprinting Causes Fall In Visa's Requests by Nobody: 1:32pm On Sep 26, 2011
@werediot

stop whipping up sentiments. we know what we blame on gej and when we do, we are always right.
Re: Request For Fingerprinting Causes Fall In Visa's Requests by Samchuky(m): 1:55pm On Sep 26, 2011
werepeLeri:

blame it on GEJ.
pls why blame it on GEJ.
Dis drop i think has to do with some fraudulent pple nt wanting to be caught!
Re: Request For Fingerprinting Causes Fall In Visa's Requests by OmoTier1(m): 2:19pm On Sep 26, 2011
Arrant nonsense! I read this news article over the weekend and I think the Ireland Embassy are just not honest or have apoor grasp of the migration dynamics of Nigerians pre and post recession.

Questions:
1.What opportunities remain for migrants in Ireland after the shameless collapse of thier construction industry which hitherto was the major employer of most migrants to that country? The number of previous and recent applicants, (11,000 vs 5,000) in the article would rather suggest Ireland is not seen by Nigerians as a destination of choice for whatever reason. Beside, historically do we really have anything significant to do with the Irish?

2.Is it more likely that the reduction in number of applicant is more likely to do with the fact that applicants are either confused about the new policy/process or that the applicants see the new process as a sign of the would be host country's hostile change of tune to immigrants? The UK is a case study to bear in mind. After introduction of biometrics in certain visas category, applications in Nigeria dropped albeit significantly only to spike up rather quickly and findings revealed really thier initials thoughts were all together wrong.

3. Is this not the same Ireland that is part of the league of five called "PIGS"? So how then would they not factor in the fact that thier weak and near collasped economy would mean less migrants wanting to come through thier doors than ever before?

Lastly, let them bring out the complete data set so we can examine it ourselves like we do with that of the UK. Tell us how many of the applicants applied under which category,students, visitors, work permit, etc.

By the way, I don't give a face to an Irish.
Re: Request For Fingerprinting Causes Fall In Visa's Requests by RickyRoss1(m): 2:50pm On Sep 26, 2011
Omo_Tier1:

Arrant nonsense! I read this news article over the weekend and I think the Ireland Embassy are just not honest or have apoor grasp of the migration dynamics of Nigerians pre and post recession.

Questions:
1.What opportunities remain for migrants in Ireland after the shameless collapse of thier construction industry which hitherto was the major employer of most migrants to that country? The number of previous and recent applicants, (11,000 vs 5,000) in the article would rather suggest Ireland is not seen by Nigerians as a destination of choice for whatever reason. Beside, historically do we really have anything significant to do with the Irish?

2.Is it more likely that the reduction in number of applicant is more likely to do with the fact that applicants are either confused about the new policy/process or that the applicants see the new process as a sign of the would be host country's hostile change of tune to immigrants? The UK is a case study to bear in mind. After introduction of biometrics in certain visas category, applications in Nigeria dropped albeit significantly only to spike up rather quickly and findings revealed really thier initials thoughts were all together wrong.

3. Is this not the same Ireland that is part of the league of five called "PIGS"? So how then would they not factor in the fact that thier weak and near collasped economy would mean less migrants wanting to come through thier doors than ever before?

Lastly, let them bring out the complete data set so we can examine it ourselves like we do with that of the UK. Tell us how many of the applicants applied under which category,students, visitors, work permit, etc.

WORD
Re: Request For Fingerprinting Causes Fall In Visa's Requests by werepeLeri: 4:54pm On Sep 26, 2011
diluminati:

@werediot

stop whipping up sentiments. we know what we blame on gej and when we do, we are always right.

Nincompoop
Re: Request For Fingerprinting Causes Fall In Visa's Requests by Thirst4Lif: 5:49pm On Sep 26, 2011
The Fingerprinting thing scare people away.

True. Which gives us an idea of how many criminals in Nigeria are attempting to

relocate to Ireland. Or just visit and wreak havoc.
Re: Request For Fingerprinting Causes Fall In Visa's Requests by Thirst4Lif: 6:01pm On Sep 26, 2011

Questions:

Nicely written. But had the Nigerians in question planned a visit to Ireland with good intentions,

getting fingerprinted wouldn't have frightened them away. People tend to hide when they know they have

a good reason. Why would students, visitors and those seeking a work permit become discouraged by the

thought of being fingerprinted if they weren't guilty of something? They wouldn't! This story is only saying, "

Nigeria, keep your criminals, we have enough of our own!!"
Re: Request For Fingerprinting Causes Fall In Visa's Requests by OmoTier1(m): 6:28pm On Sep 26, 2011
Thirst4Lif:

Nicely written. But had the Nigerians in question planned a visit to Ireland with good intentions,

getting fingerprinted wouldn't have frightened them away. People tend to hide when they know they have

a good reason. Why would students, visitors and those seeking a work permit become discouraged by the

thought of being fingerprinted if they weren't guilty of something? They wouldn't! This story is only saying, "

Nigeria, keep your criminals, we have enough of our own!!"
The truth of the matter remains:every nation has her good and bad.

Like I said, the fact that visas applications to the Irish Embassy is a miserable 11,000 in a quarter compared to that of the UK speaks volumes which the Irish Embassy should be concerned with.

Despite the UK seemingly hatred towards Nigerians, they know too well that the VAST majority of Nigerians traveling to the UK are wealth creators. Come to think of it do you know how much British Airways makes from thier daily flights from Nigeria and the number of workers they engage on that routes which of course will include transit passengers to Ireland! Not to talk about the Student Visas they keep issuing to intending Nigerian students.

The British as usual are darn smart and they know how play the game with economic advantage in thier favour!

How many universities in Ireland do you know of?

What am I saying in essence, there is no use for Irish to paint a picture that suggest thier 'new technology' has scared Nigerians from seeking visas at the embassy depicting that most applicants had criminal intentions in wanting to go to Ireland, when in actual facts, the country real has VERY limited opportunities and it's not a destination of choice for Nigerians and it doesn't appeal to Nigerians hence the very low applications they receive each year.

I tell ya, some of them secretly envy the UK 'cos they know they are licking the honey and holding unto the pot! -oh dear did I just say that? God help Nigeria
Re: Request For Fingerprinting Causes Fall In Visa's Requests by erico2k2(m): 7:22pm On Sep 26, 2011
you guys who think it good news 4 the irish are just buying cheap publicity,the real reason why the request for visa dropped is cos Nigerians dont see the need to pay for a VISA fee to go RI, full stop.there is finger priniting in the UK VISA procces, did it reduce the number of aplicants? this is stupid of them trying to generate credit for themselves thinking they have done one big thing by the way, they are the ones losing in revenue. angry angry

(1) (Reply)

Avengers: We Have Commanders From The East, Akwa Ibom And Itshekiri. / Niger Deltans, This Is Time To Reciprocate Our Kind Gesture / PDP Asks Court To Sack Zamfara Lawmakers Over Defection To APC

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 47
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.