Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,150,331 members, 7,808,110 topics. Date: Thursday, 25 April 2024 at 07:21 AM

My Experience With Thermostat Removal - Car Talk - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Car Talk / My Experience With Thermostat Removal (32926 Views)

Thermostat / Is There Any Advantage Of Disconnecting Car Engine Temperature Thermostat? / Is It Good To Remove Thermostat To Stop Overheating? (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (Reply) (Go Down)

My Experience With Thermostat Removal by Fixed: 4:26pm On Sep 26, 2011
Last week, my wife's car suddenly overheated terribly and had to be abandoned in a filling station till the following morning. The automechanic checked it the following morning and a ruptured radiator hose was the culprit. It was promptly replaced and thankfully nothing else was affected. On driving the car, I noticed that the temperature gauge needle never moved from C (Cold) when the whether was cool, specifically morning and night. Meanwhile the needle used to rest just below 1/2 before. I called the Mech and he told me that the thermostat was also bad as it does not open again so he removed it for the engine to always run cooler and there was no need replacing it. Out of curiousity we opted for driving the car like that and learnt the following in 5 days:

The heater does not work any more and AC not cooling satisfactorily

Don't know if it is related, more carbon is noticed on the exhaust tip.

The spacewagon burns more fuel for the same distance (The big one)

I also observed that the fan does not work as frequently as it used to

The thermostat costs only N2,000 and I'm fixing it right away.

6 Likes

Re: My Experience With Thermostat Removal by Joy2Dwise: 9:08pm On Sep 26, 2011
Thanks for sharing. We need people like U in NL.

2 Likes

Re: My Experience With Thermostat Removal by Ikenna351(m): 12:49am On Sep 27, 2011
Vehicle engines are meant to run well at a certain temperature. It could be 80, 90 or 95 degree centigrate, depending on the engine. only when it warms at the operating temperature that longevity of the engine is ensured.

your engine is emiting black smoke from the exhaust now, I believe, because its running rich (excessive fueling). its running rich because its no longer warming to the operating temperature which is the work of thermostat. as long as your engine keeps running cold, the ecu will signal the injectors to spray excess fuel, believing that the engine is still cold.

Your raditor electric cooling fan is no longer coming on frequently as it used to because the fluid/coolant in your radiotor are always cold & the sensor on raditor that is suppose to on the fan when coolant temperture starts exceeding the normal operating temperature its always sensing the engine temp very cold.

If i were you, I would replace the thermo like you said you would do & have a piece of mind.

Ikenna.

6 Likes

Re: My Experience With Thermostat Removal by Nobody: 1:58am On Sep 27, 2011
Ikenna is right, a thermostat is a required component in efficiency of the cooling system and that is why you're burning more fuel and noticing the exhaust.

The only time to remove the thermostat is for race applications when conditions dictate it.

You should print out this page and give it to your shadetree mechanic for reference before he wrecks a non engaged customers engine.

PS: Not sure if a separate section needs to eb created for automotive related stuff like this, this is why I am here in this section and I am not really interested in the parade of cars for sale that overwhelms this section.

3 Likes

Re: My Experience With Thermostat Removal by mastro: 8:48am On Sep 27, 2011
Vehicle engines are meant to run well at a certain temperature. It could be 80, 90 or 95 degree centigrate, depending on the engine. only when it warms at the operating temperature that longevity of the engine is ensured.

your engine is emiting black smoke from the exhaust now, I believe, because its running rich (excessive fueling). its running rich because its no longer warming to the operating temperature which is the work of thermostat. as long as your engine keeps running cold, the ecu will signal the injectors to spray excess fuel, believing that the engine is still cold.

Your raditor electric cooling fan is no longer coming on frequently as it used to because the fluid/coolant in your radiotor are always cold & the sensor on raditor that is suppose to on the fan when coolant temperture starts exceeding the normal operating temperature its always sensing the engine temp very cold.

If i were you, I would replace the thermo like you said you would do & have a piece of mind.

Ikenna.

What the fiddlers (can't call them mechanics) then do is cross wires so the fan is running all the time, which delays the engine reaching optimal running temperature, oh and as a added bonus kills the motor of the fan so engine overheats and because there is no indication, next thing is B ANG, but hey more work for them, Oga you need half engine, my brother for Ojurin has one

5 Likes

Re: My Experience With Thermostat Removal by AllowMe1: 10:19am On Sep 27, 2011
All sensible talk.I used my toyota avalon for about seven years, all for the love car grin, and sumtyms when I had 2 do minor work,the first thing "these guys"(shade tree) would suggest 2 me would be , oga the fan no dey blow, and I would try 2 explain that it would after a while, yet they would still come up with, oga you never remove the thermostat, when sumtyms I explained how long I'd been using the car,only then do they get silenced.One even went as far as disconnecting the sensor switch that regulates the fan I plugged it back in when I noticed the fan was perpetually on before damage was done.NOTE:THis was done behind my back after we had taked about it oooo.This is not to say there aren't some who are smart,but they need supervision,4 those who can spare the time.Thanx guys information na power.

1 Like

Re: My Experience With Thermostat Removal by Ikenna351(m): 1:56pm On Sep 27, 2011
@ Poster,

Did you at any time flushed & refilled the car cooling system/radiator without bleeding the cooling system? To be honest, your thermostat might not actually be faulty. if you change your car coolant without bleeding the system, the system will have what we call airlock. The airlock will make the engine to suffer what we call airpocket(overheating of cooling system). what & how do I mean? When you flush your radiator or cooling system, air will fill the vacuum, formely filled with fluid. Then, while pouring in fresh coolant, the air in the engine walls will be trapped, since the thermostat is shut/close. The air trapped is called "airlock". If one run the engine with the airlock, the air trapped around the engine walls will be boiling the coolant beyond the operating temperature & the boiled air ( in fumes) wont be able to pass the hole on the thermo when it opens. Thus, the engine will be overheating, few minutes after the engine starts. The engine will be regarded as suffering from "airpocket", which can easily blow up the Cylinder head gasket, if care is not taken.

Whenever you decide to replace/fix back the thermo, make sure you bleed the cooling system from the bleed screw. You should be able to locate the bleed screw when you refer to your car owner's manual. If you dont have the manual, Trace the screw on all the hoses linked to the radiator, you will see it. Your manual should be able to guide you on how to bleed the cooling system. If you dont know how to bleed, ask & I will explain.

There is a way you can find out if a thermostat works or is ok. Pour some water in a kitchen pot, put the thermo in the pot filled with water & boil. As the temperature rises to the temperature the thermostat is supposed to open to pass fluid, it will open right there inside the pot, even before the water start boiling. But like I noted in the earlier post, you need to check your car owner's manual to know the operting temperture of your car cooling system, which will tell you the temperture when your thermo should open.

Like I would always tell people, stop listening to clowns/destroyers that call themselves auto mechanics/rewires here in Nigeria. Bunch of Clowns! Arm yourself with the your car owners manual, workshop manual & wiring diagram. Start to learn how to fix your car, at least, the basics by yourself (DIY). We cant be too busy or too big than the western world that diagnose & fix their vehicles by themselves. It can be scarely in the begining, but with time, you will know more than those clowns. You have access to internet which is a big impotant tool those clowns dont have to update themselves with the modern way of diagnosing a car. I dont remember the last time a mechanic or rewire touched my car. It feels very good/satisfactory when one diagnosed & fixed his/her car by him/herself. Its is the best way of ensuring PREVENTATIVE MAINTENANCE.

I would also advice that you search for an online community or forum of your car .e.g. Honda Accord, Honda Civic, Toyota Camry,etc. No matter the make or model of your car, you will find a forum online where you will see your fellow owners of the car discussing & suggesting to a fellow member what to do & how to go about fixing his car problem, with a similar experience. you will learn a lot from others experience. There you can also get & download free owners & workshop manual from fellow members. Its so unfortunate that we are not getting such good things here in Nairaland autos. Instead, cars for sale. Unlike other forums that have sections for cars for sale & sections for discussions.

Ikenna.

14 Likes 1 Share

Re: My Experience With Thermostat Removal by ikeyman00(m): 9:07pm On Sep 27, 2011
@@@@

hmm this thermosstat factor is something (neverless am not an auto expert) that i quite dnt get from all angles

But then commonsense shouldn't be far fetched.

If we have to go by the fundamentals of locomotion then we will consider there is piston,cam shaft, open-closed valve.

Then at point A air goes into some cylinder in the engine with the valve A open while valve B is closed which allows the mixture of air and fuel then the explosion that occurs drive the piston to half cycle while the remaining cycles completes when there is a repeation of the same reaction, then we get a complete rotation abi

cuz the cycle has been synchronised; hence the cylinders fires at the right time

Consequently the engine block is a heat conductor as you know and will get hotter to expand (which will kill the engine) at some point if it isn't cooled to lower the temp, then this is where the argument comes in.

Now i dnt see how the temp of an engine body affect the explosion or combustion that goes in the cylinder?? if that's the case u can argue bomb might not produce enough or maximam explosion in winters or cold weather

the same goes with an electric iron; the thermostat there is more of saving energy and help in regulating the iron temp so it doesnt get too hot through the circuit breaker i guess.

then it does seem to me that thermstart on the engine is more of saving electric energy for the car to utilize elsewhere

i have been driving my car without thermostart and without having to deal with high fuel consumption and I'm sure there are lots of other out there

therefore i think taking the thermostart off might be the best way to solve over heating if the need arise!!

2 Likes 1 Share

Re: My Experience With Thermostat Removal by Ikenna351(m): 10:22pm On Sep 27, 2011
@ Ikeyman,

T-stat prevents coolant in the engine walls & cylinder heads from flowing back into the radiator, to allow the fluid to warm to operating engine temperature. as the combustion/explosion in the cylinders continues, the fluid around the engine walls & cylinder head will start rising beyond required temp(esp at traffic or hold ups). When it reaches the temp of the t-stat, the t-stat will open & pass the hot coolant, with the help of water pump, back into the radiator. The cold coolant that were in the radiator before the opening of t-stat will flow into the engine walls & cylinder head. As soon as the hot fluid enters the radiator, the temperature sensor on the radiator will sense the change in the coolant temp & will switch on the radiator electric cooling fan. As soon as the cold coolant enters the engine, the t-stat will sense the cold/low temperature of the coolant & will close. Fluid will no longer pass it. The trapped fluid will gradually rise to the warm operating temperature as the explosion in the cylinders are going on & will remain like that, pending when it starts rising beyond normal engine temp, especially when you are in a traffic. When the t-stat closes, the radiator fan that has been switched on by the radiator sensor will start cooling the hot fluid & will at a point will become cold/ lower the coolant temperature. As soon as the radiator sensor senses that coolant in the radiator has become low again, it will switch off the fan, pending when next t-start & water pump flows in hot fluid again.

If the car is in motion, the breeze or air flowing into the engine bay is enough to be cooling both the radiator & the engine itself. Therefore, the t-stat wont open & the radiator fan wont switch on. Thats why the electric fans are not meant to run continously. It only run when the car is in traffic or is idling. But once it is in motion, the fan goes off. The continously running of the electric fan kills the fans motor, which is very pronounced here in Nigeria. Correct me if am wrong.

Mind you that there is something called engine temperature sensor on all EFI engines, attached on cylinder heads. If you remove the t-stat, the sensor will always be sensing engine cold & will be sending signal to the ECU (so called brain box by Nigerians) that the engine is cold & the ECU will then command Injectors to be spraying in excess fuel into the cylinders via intake manifold. Any engine requires excess fuel to run when its cold. So it is the engine temp sensor that signals or tells to ECU if the engine is cold or not. ECU works with signals it receives from various sensors. The signals from those sensors determines how it will comand the Injectors & Airflow meters to mix air & fuel in the cylinders.

If your engine always run cold, it affects the smooth flow of engine oil from the sump to cylinder head, camshaft,crankshaft & back to sump/crankcase. In fact, the lubrication of the engine will be hindered. Have you ever wondered why cars driven for years in western world, would suddenly develop engine problems few years after driven them in Nigeria.

Ikenna.

8 Likes

Re: My Experience With Thermostat Removal by ikeyman00(m): 10:39pm On Sep 27, 2011
^^^^^^

yes ikennna u know your stuff but then i still think i might be right in some places  grin grin

However be least assured that emm those cars that gave up at some time in nigeria emm i bet most of them uses carburetor

injectors spray fuel precisesly unlike carburator!!!

so then again time shall tell as injector is on test
Re: My Experience With Thermostat Removal by Ikenna351(m): 10:59pm On Sep 27, 2011
What an Irony! The most unreliable vehicles now in Nigeria are vehicles with Fuel Injected engines. Let somebody prove me wrong please. Am even going far. Go through this forum (auto section) & see for yourself. From Electrics to mechanical failures. Not that they are really unreliable per se. But here, their unreliability is caused by poor management, both on the hands of "clowns" called mechanics & rewires & the car owners themselves.

Most Fuel carburreted engines then were all bullet-proofed engines. We all know about Nigerian assembled Peugeot 504s & 505s, all with I4 fuel carbureted engines (XN1).

Fuel carbureted or Injected engines is not the case here, but management, maintenance!

Ikenna.
Re: My Experience With Thermostat Removal by Ikenna351(m): 11:08pm On Sep 27, 2011
Ikayman,

Carburetor sprays fuel according to the position of the Throttle pedal. But Injectors spray fuel according to signals it receives from sensors. Once its not getting a signal from any of the sensors or getting a wrong signal, the normal spray of fuel by injectors will be disrupted.

Ikenna.

1 Like

Re: My Experience With Thermostat Removal by ikeyman00(m): 12:40am On Sep 28, 2011
ikenna

then if thats the case going by what u have written fuel consumption comes down to the climate the car is driven ( hot or cold weather)

wonder the reason it never shows up on the car manual. shocked grin

since the sensors triggers off the ECU to pump more fuel when it reaches cut off temperature abi

as for good mechanics for injector in naija, well im aware of thats, like they say once its gone replace it? once open thats it for them
Re: My Experience With Thermostat Removal by Nobody: 5:25am On Sep 28, 2011
ikeyman00:

ikenna

then if thats the case going by what u have written fuel consumption comes down to the climate the car is driven ( hot or cold weather)

wonder the reason it never shows up on the car manual. shocked grin

since the sensors triggers off the ECU to pump more fuel when it reaches cut off temperature abi

as for good mechanics for injector in naija, well im aware of thats, like they say once its gone replace it? once open thats it for them

It's actually a common knowledge thing and in most of the owners manual of vehicles I've owned that fuel and oil consumption depends on (1) maintenance, (2) operating condition which includes weather and (3) load.

It's not just weather alone that controls fuel consumption.
Re: My Experience With Thermostat Removal by Ikenna351(m): 1:48pm On Sep 28, 2011
@Ikay,

Really, weather dosent affect vehicle fuel consumption, as long as the motor thermostat & cooling fan are ok. No matter how cold the weather is, the coolant will never freeze (mixture of antifreeze & water: 50/50). Coolant warms or boils faster than ordinary water. So as soon as you start a car, the coolant will within few mins warm up to engine opreating temperature unlike water. The t-stat ensures that engine remains at operating temperature, whether in cold or hot weather. Without t-stat, coolant will be flowing continously from radiator to engine, & from engine back to radiator & wont allow the coolant to warm to operating temp before flowing back to radiator.

Mind you, without t-stat, if the car stays long (hours) in traffic/hold up, the coolant will become very hot, boiling and wont be able to cool again, since the coolant dosent stay long in radiator for the fan to cool it before flowing back to the engine. As its entering the engine, the explosion going on in the cylinders will increase the hotness of the coolant. No room for cooling. Before you know it "BANG". Your Cylinder head is gone. If you are lucky, it will blow up only the radiator hose for the build up hot steam to escape. If you are very unfortunate, your head gasket will be gone. In most cases, when the head gasket burns, it might flow in water in the cylinders & the water/coolant will wash down/pass the cylinders & enters crankcase/sump. BANG! The whole engine is gone!

Ikenna.

1 Like

Re: My Experience With Thermostat Removal by ikeyman00(m): 9:15pm On Dec 18, 2011
@@@@@@@@@@

ikenna

u are right!!
Re: My Experience With Thermostat Removal by Ikenna351(m): 9:20pm On Dec 18, 2011
How fo you mean Ikeyman? What made you think am right?

Ikenna.
Re: My Experience With Thermostat Removal by ikeyman00(m): 9:22pm On Dec 18, 2011
@@@@@

i mean thermostat should never be remeoved from a car

not a good idea

i ve bought my honda thermostat here in UK and might have to see if i could fix it back by myself but how do i get the fan to operate normally as it was before
Re: My Experience With Thermostat Removal by Ikenna351(m): 10:03pm On Dec 18, 2011
It depends on your car, Honda, wiring system. On Peugeot cars, like 2 of my cars, they have sensor on all their radiators, known as radiator sensors. The electric radiator fans & A/C fans are connected to the radiator sensor. The sensor serves as a trigger or switch to the fans. When you start the engine. The temp will still be cold or warm. The fans will be off. When the temp rises to beyond the normal engine operating temp (when you are in traffic jam or the car stationary & engine idling), the thermostat will open, & the hot coolant in the engine walls & cylinder heads, with the help of water pump, will flow into the radiator, while the cold or warm coolant in the radiator will flow into the engine walls. As soon as the thermostat senses or feels the coolant with lower temp, it will close & the coolant will remain in the engine walls. When the hot coolant flows into the radiator, the radiator sensor will sense the hot or high temp coolant. The radiator sensor will then switch on the radiator fans & sometimes the A/C condenser fans, to cool the hot coolant in the radiator. After some seconds or a minute, the coolant temp in the radiator will come low & the sensor will switch off the fans, since the radiator temp has come down to low temp. The fans will remain off for a long time until the thermostat opens again, if the car remains stationary/not moving while engine is on. Breeze that comes in through car front grille while car is moving, especially while on speed, is enough to cool both coolant in the radiator & coolant in the engine walls . So if the car is moving, the thermostat will not open & the fans wont spin. It ensure the lifespan of the fan motor.

But am not sure Hondas have radiator sensor. I think they use CTS (coolant Temperature Sensor) or temperature sensor on thermostat housing to trigger on/switch on the radiator electric cooling fans. If your fans runs constantly, it could be that it has been bypassed & connected to ignition switch to run whenever the ignition is switched on.

Also remember that if the tthermostat is removed, the engine will always run cold & the cts will always send signal to ecu that the engine is always cold. Cts determines the amount of fuel that goes into the combustion chambers via injectors, when engine cold & hot. Engine needs excess fuel to start a cold engine. Cts that senses temperature of coolant, will signal to ecu when starting a cold engine that the engine is cold. The ecu will command injectors to spray in excess fuel for the engine to be able to start, when clanking a cold engine. But when the coolant temp risese, with the help of thermostat, the cts will sense the high coolant temp & will signal to ecu the hot temp of the engine & the ecu will lean or reduce the amount of fuel that injectors spray into the cylinders. That is why thermostat are put in the cooling systems to warm the coolant for cts to lean fuel into the engine. So if thermostat is removed, the cts will always signal to ecu that engine is cold (even if the car has run for two hrs) & the ecu will always command the injectors to spray in excess fuel, believing that the engine is cold all the time. So, thats why removal of thermostat makes engine to consume excess fuel via cts.

Hope that helps?

Ikenna.

5 Likes

Re: My Experience With Thermostat Removal by miccodb(m): 4:09am On Dec 19, 2011
Ikenna351:

It depends on your car, Honda, wiring system. On Peugeot cars, like 2 of my cars, they have sensor on all their radiators, known as radiator sensors. The electric radiator fans & A/C fans are connected to the radiator sensor. The sensor serves as a trigger or switch to the fans. When you start the engine. The temp will still be cold or warm. The fans will be off. When the temp rises to beyond the normal engine operating temp (when you are in traffic jam or the car stationary & engine idling), the thermostat will open, & the hot coolant in the engine walls & cylinder heads, with the help of water pump, will flow into the radiator, while the cold or warm coolant in the radiator will flow into the engine walls. As soon as the thermostat senses or feels the coolant with lower temp, it will close & the coolant will remain in the engine walls. When the hot coolant flows into the radiator, the radiator sensor will sense the hot or high temp coolant. The radiator sensor will then switch on the radiator fans & sometimes the A/C condenser fans, to cool the hot coolant in the radiator. After some seconds or a minute, the coolant temp in the radiator will come low & the sensor will switch off the fans, since the radiator temp has come down to low temp. The fans will remain off for a long time until the thermostat opens again, if the car remains stationary/not moving while engine is on. Breeze that comes in through car front grille while car is moving, especially while on speed, is enough to cool both coolant in the radiator & coolant in the engine walls . So if the car is moving, the thermostat will not open & the fans wont spin. It ensure the lifespan of the fan motor.

But am not sure Hondas have radiator sensor. I think they use CTS (coolant Temperature Sensor) or temperature sensor on thermostat housing to trigger on/switch on the radiator electric cooling fans. If your fans runs constantly, it could be that it has been bypassed & connected to ignition switch to run whenever the ignition is switched on.

Also remember that if the tthermostat is removed, the engine will always run cold & the cts will always send signal to ecu that the engine is always cold. Cts determines the amount of fuel that goes into the combustion chambers via injectors, when engine cold & hot. Engine needs excess fuel to start a cold engine. Cts that senses temperature of coolant, will signal to ecu when starting a cold engine that the engine is cold. The ecu will command injectors to spray in excess fuel for the engine to be able to start, when clanking a cold engine. But when the coolant temp risese, with the help of thermostat, the cts will sense the high coolant temp & will signal to ecu the hot temp of the engine & the ecu will lean or reduce the amount of fuel that injectors spray into the cylinders. That is why thermostat are put in the cooling systems to warm the coolant for cts to lean fuel into the engine. So if thermostat is removed, the cts will always signal to ecu that engine is cold (even if the car has run for two hrs) & the ecu will always command the injectors to spray in excess fuel, believing that the engine is cold all the time. So, thats why removal of thermostat makes engine to consume excess fuel via cts.

Hope that helps?

Ikenna.

ikenna u are correct all the way but i dont agree with you in totality when u say the engine will always run cold. there is never a time when the engine runs cold due to otto cycle in the chambers as u know the qtty of heat that accompanies combustion so i prefer u say the engine would run at a little lower temperature so if this happens then the cylinders are not flooded persay with gas and air because the temperature drop is not so remarkable that will cause the ecu to spray excess fuel like ur painting. if that car consumes notieabbly more fuel than normal then i want to belive there is more to it than just removal of thermostat. if a car runs with thermostat at about 90 degrees celcuis then i can confidently tell u that without thermostat it would still run at about 70 degrees celcuis which is not as cold as u are painting.so i cant agree with u totally on the running cold without thermostat.t-stat was originally meant to combat lower temp running in countries with really low temps and cold regions where liquid is required to remain within the egine walls until it is getting overheated then expelle for fresh one to come in from the radiator which now cools the now hot liquid coolant. bearing this in mind then we can easily see the motive isnt too effective in hot regions like nigeria where average temps soar to around 40 degress in the north. so if u analyse this technically i can guarantee u that as soon as u crank your engine in such temperatures it would take less than a minute for liquids to get heated beyond operating temperatures and ready to be exchanged with that in the radiator. so as u run your engine hotter in such area der comes a coincidence peroid when the thermostat is virtually open all the while and all fans blowing because theres really no weather support for the cooling and liquids in both radiator and around engine walls are operating at optimum temps so the t-stat just remains open and since the width of opening of the t-stat isnt as wide as the whole passge then there is lack of proper scavenging and supply of liquids which may ultyimately lead to overheating. so the most important thing is not just understanding the technology but also understanding what the technology was supposed to combat so u can work around when it fails to suit you.
ultimately ikenna there are times when u may need to tropicalize a car buy removing a thermostat without effect to overall performance. poster should check well abg no be thermostat dey make him car chop fuel. i love this forum. so much knowledge to gain. keep it up all.

2 Likes

Re: My Experience With Thermostat Removal by kc007(m): 10:50am On Nov 17, 2013
Can a thermostat work normally, that is opening @ required temperature if coolant temperature sensor is malfuntioning?
Re: My Experience With Thermostat Removal by DrBlack(m): 6:12am On Sep 19, 2014
kc007: Can a thermostat work normally, that is opening @ required temperature if coolant temperature sensor is malfuntioning?
ikenna answer nowwww
Re: My Experience With Thermostat Removal by ijebu19: 11:14pm On Sep 04, 2015
Ikenna351:
@ Poster,

Did you at any time flushed & refilled the car cooling system/radiator without bleeding the cooling system? To be honest, your thermostat might not actually be faulty. if you change your car coolant without bleeding the system, the system will have what we call airlock. The airlock will make the engine to suffer what we call airpocket(overheating of cooling system). what & how do I mean? When you flush your radiator or cooling system, air will fill the vacuum, formely filled with fluid. Then, while pouring in fresh coolant, the air in the engine walls will be trapped, since the thermostat is shut/close. The air trapped is called "airlock". If one run the engine with the airlock, the air trapped around the engine walls will be boiling the coolant beyond the operating temperature & the boiled air ( in fumes) wont be able to pass the hole on the thermo when it opens. Thus, the engine will be overheating, few minutes after the engine starts. The engine will be regarded as suffering from "airpocket", which can easily blow up the Cylinder head gasket, if care is not taken.

Whenever you decide to replace/fix back the thermo, make sure you bleed the cooling system from the bleed screw. You should be able to locate the bleed screw when you refer to your car owner's manual. If you dont have the manual, Trace the screw on all the hoses linked to the radiator, you will see it. Your manual should be able to guide you on how to bleed the cooling system. If you dont know how to bleed, ask & I will explain.

There is a way you can find out if a thermostat works or is ok. Pour some water in a kitchen pot, put the thermo in the pot filled with water & boil. As the temperature rises to the temperature the thermostat is supposed to open to pass fluid, it will open right there inside the pot, even before the water start boiling. But like I noted in the earlier post, you need to check your car owner's manual to know the operting temperture of your car cooling system, which will tell you the temperture when your thermo should open.

Like I would always tell people, stop listening to clowns/destroyers that call themselves auto mechanics/rewires here in Nigeria. Bunch of Clowns! Arm yourself with the your car owners manual, workshop manual & wiring diagram. Start to learn how to fix your car, at least, the basics by yourself (DIY). We cant be too busy or too big than the western world that diagnose & fix their vehicles by themselves. It can be scarely in the begining, but with time, you will know more than those clowns. You have access to internet which is a big impotant tool those clowns dont have to update themselves with the modern way of diagnosing a car. I dont remember the last time a mechanic or rewire touched my car. It feels very good/satisfactory when one diagnosed & fixed his/her car by him/herself. Its is the best way of ensuring PREVENTATIVE MAINTENANCE.

I would also advice that you search for an online community or forum of your car .e.g. Honda Accord, Honda Civic, Toyota Camry,etc. No matter the make or model of your car, you will find a forum online where you will see your fellow owners of the car discussing & suggesting to a fellow member what to do & how to go about fixing his car problem, with a similar experience. you will learn a lot from others experience. There you can also get & download free owners & workshop manual from fellow members. Its so unfortunate that we are not getting such good things here in Nairaland autos. Instead, cars for sale. Unlike other forums that have sections for cars for sale & sections for discussions.

Ikenna.
Re: My Experience With Thermostat Removal by ijebu19: 11:46pm On Sep 04, 2015
Hi ikeyman
are u still there sharing news/
would you like to shed light on my problem
welcome constructive opinions
Re: My Experience With Thermostat Removal by lilreese: 6:09pm On Sep 04, 2016
Thanks
Re: My Experience With Thermostat Removal by blestman: 10:31am On Sep 06, 2016
A t stat does not have an electrical component, it only reacts to changes in the temp of ur coolant. It opens @ around 82 degree for a Camry. So if coolant temp sensor is malfunctioning the t- stat will still open
Re: My Experience With Thermostat Removal by blestman: 10:48am On Sep 06, 2016
@ ikeyman, I have used a car with a t-stat stucked open and fans running directly. It never gets to 70degree operation temp and was consuming fuel. The problem became worse wen I replaced d water with a coolant. It hardly got to 60 degree and far below on a rainy day, check light came up and d code P0128 came up. After some research I disconnected d direct wiring of d fans and surprisingly d fans never turns on no matter d distance i cover and d car never overheats and the temp was now getting to 75 degree, but drops significantly on rainy days
Finally I took a look at d t-stat and it was inplace but tampered wit so that it was always opened. I replace thermostat and now d car gets to operation temp and fans only comes up at around 90 degree wit improved fuel consumption and lesser noise from d fan. And code p0128 is gone. So do ur car a favor, replace d thermostat

3 Likes

Re: My Experience With Thermostat Removal by Oyewolee(m): 1:29pm On Dec 17, 2016
@ikenna351, I use a 1999 Toyota Camry model, I bought from a friend who used it for a year before I got it from him. The car has used 2years with me but for some time now, the car gulp fuel excessively and it is getting alarming. Coming across this discussion on the thermostat got my attention cause my friend told me he removed the thermostat about 3years ago due to the car cooling system error. My question is if I can still place back the thermostat. Thank you.
Re: My Experience With Thermostat Removal by mili3kid(m): 2:11pm On Dec 17, 2016
Oyewolee:
@ikenna351, I use a 1999 Toyota Camry model, I bought from a friend who used it for a year before I got it from him. The car has used 2years with me but for some time now, the car gulp fuel excessively and it is getting alarming. Coming across this discussion on the thermostat got my attention cause my friend told me he removed the thermostat about 3years ago due to the car cooling system error. My question is if I can still place back the thermostat. Thank you.

ofcourse u can always restore the thermostat back.
bt make sure the fan is checked and returned to factory default. most times when they remove the thermostat they also make the fans work automatically weneva d engine is on. this shldnt be so. the fans should only run when the engine is hot and after a while stop and run again... like that.
also pls note if ur car is OBDII compliant kindly scan it. high fuel consumption xould be caused alot of issues. not just the removal of thermostat. in my case i am experiencing it because the catalytic converter was removed.a nd when I scanned it d results pointed to catalytic converter.
so try and get a competent mech tho helo check ur car and find the underlying issue causing the excessive fuel consumption
Re: My Experience With Thermostat Removal by honmusa(m): 5:59pm On Dec 18, 2016
Oyewolee:
Is good you restore your thermostat back and connect your fan to default but before you that you need to check your cooling system integrity for any leaks so as not to cause the hidden overheating that has been suppressed to come back .
For the previous owner to remove the thermostat before ,there has been a pending overheating issue that was suppressed but not solved .So ensure that the root issue of overheating is resolved by taking your car to a competent mechanic that has the equipment to resolve it for you before connecting your thermostat back .
If you are in need of a professional to resolve this for you with the right equipment and fix the thermostat and fan default connection .call autologic @08061166316
Re: My Experience With Thermostat Removal by Oyewolee(m): 1:24pm On Dec 21, 2016
honmusa:

Is good you restore your thermostat back and connect your fan to default but before you that you need to check your cooling system integrity for any leaks so as not to cause the hidden overheating that has been suppressed to come back .
For the previous owner to remove the thermostat before ,there has been a pending overheating issue that was suppressed but not solved .So ensure that the root issue of overheating is resolved by taking your car to a competent mechanic that has the equipment to resolve it for you before connecting your thermostat back .
If you are in need of a professional to resolve this for you with the right equipment and fix the thermostat and fan default connection .call autologic @08061166316

Thank you very much for the information. I'll try and get on touch with the contact shared although I'm based in Ilé-Ifè.

(1) (2) (Reply)

How To Check If Your Number Plate Is Fake / I Drove From Lagos To Akure With ₦‎2,450 Using CNG As Fuel / World's First Dent-Proof Car Wows Crowds At Tokyo Motor Show

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 123
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.