Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,150,462 members, 7,808,644 topics. Date: Thursday, 25 April 2024 at 02:48 PM

Banks Get 30-day Deadline To Close Accounts Without BVN - Business - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Business / Banks Get 30-day Deadline To Close Accounts Without BVN (13020 Views)

Best Loan Apps Without BVN In Nigeria / Banks Fear Rush As CBN Threatens To Bar Customers Without BVN, NIN By April / Advertising: Multinationals, Banks, Get Knocks For Undermining Local Contents (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (Reply) (Go Down)

Banks Get 30-day Deadline To Close Accounts Without BVN by Islie: 2:36pm On May 15, 2023
The Central Bank of Nigeria (CBN) has given banks and other financial institutions a 30-day timeline to close accounts without Bank Verification (BVN).

Data from the Nigeria Inter-Bank Settlement System (NIBSS) showed that 57.39 million customers’ accounts have been linked to their BVNs as at April 8.

A review of the ‘Regulatory Framework for Bank Verification Number (BVN) Operations and Watch-list for the Nigerian Banking Industry’said the move was driven by the demand for effectiveness of Know- Your-Customer (KYC) and Customer’s-Due-Diligence principles, and promotion of more safe, reliable and efficient banking and payment systems.

The policy was also meant to address increasing incidence of frauds and to enhance public confidence in the banking industry and provide a guide for BVN operations and watch-list activities carried out by financial institutions in Nigeria.

As part of the policy implementation plan, the CBN directed banks to link customer’s BVN to related accounts/wallets (except Tier 1).

This requires using the customer’s BVN generated after his/her enrollment to link accounts/wallets to which he or she is a signatory, after validation.

“No new account/wallet shall be allowed to operate without BVN (except inflows), however, any account/wallet without BVN shall be closed within 30 days,” the framework said.

It said delinking of customers’ BVN from accounts/wallets involves removing the BVN of a signatory (except for Directors/Beneficial owners) that is linked to an account/wallet.

The CBN said the BVN shall be delinked upon the approval of the Chief Audit Executive of the customer’s bank.

“This delinking is for corporate or joint accounts and for activities not associated with breaches. Returns on delinked accounts/wallets (except Tier 1) shall be rendered to the Director, Payments System Management Department on a monthly basis,” it said.

Also, “Where there is no linked account, a nil report should be submitted while fraud management is a process aimed at using BVN to deter, prevent, detect and mitigate the risks of fraud in the banking industry,” it added.

A watch-listed individual is barred from entering into new relationship with any bank. The apex bank said that in a situation that a bank chooses to continue business relationship with an account holder on the watch- list, an account holder shall be prohibited from e-channels, issuance of third-party cheques, shall not provide reference to another customer, shall not be allowed to access credit facility or guarantee credit facilities.

Also, individuals shall remain on the watch list for up to 10 years and penalties that applied to such shall apply to their accounts.

“Once a Watch-Listed BVN has served its term on the Watch-List, the Nigerian Interbank Settlement System (NIBSS) shall automatically delist the BVN and notify the stakeholders. Where a bank realised that an individual was placed on the watch-list in error, the bank shall apply in writing, with supporting documents to the Director, Risk Management Department of the CBN, for approval to delist,” it said.

The supporting documents shall be duly authorised by the MD/CEO and the Chief Audit Executive of the bank. Upon approval from CBN, the bank shall forward the approval to NIBSS for delisting. Only the institution that placed an individual on the watch-list can request for such delisting.

According to the framework, it is the responsibility of the CBN to conduct oversight on BVN operations and systems, monitor other stakeholders to ensure compliance, issue circulars to regulated institutions on the operations of the Watch-List, review framework for the operations of the Watch-List, as the need arises and apply appropriate sanctions for non-compliance with the Regulatory Framework.

The NIBSS is expected to collaborate with other stakeholders to develop and review the Standard Operating Guidelines of the BVN, initiate review of Guidelines, as the need arises, subject to the approval of the CBN, ensure seamless operations of the BVN system, maintain the BVN database, ensure adequate security of the BVN information; an maintain an on-line real-time Watch-list Portal.

https://thenationonlineng.net/banks-get-30-day-deadline-to-close-accounts-without-bvn/

Re: Banks Get 30-day Deadline To Close Accounts Without BVN by God1000(m): 2:51pm On May 15, 2023
So we still have Bank accounts without BVN in Nigeria

42 Likes 2 Shares

Re: Banks Get 30-day Deadline To Close Accounts Without BVN by citygarden(m): 4:00pm On May 15, 2023
Good but that NIN is a big scam. How many terrorist have the government arrest through NIN? instead they agent are just caching out. I done NIN more than three times. They will tell me that they mistakenly delete it from their servers . The bvn is still the best

17 Likes

Re: Banks Get 30-day Deadline To Close Accounts Without BVN by henkey: 4:07pm On May 15, 2023
The directive is good.
But why is CBN interest in Dormant accounts and Accounts without BVN at this period. I mean few days usher in a new Govt.
Are they looking for Departing packages. From people's Money.

19 Likes

Re: Banks Get 30-day Deadline To Close Accounts Without BVN by allen113: 4:22pm On May 15, 2023
Good
Re: Banks Get 30-day Deadline To Close Accounts Without BVN by farouk2much(m): 6:30pm On May 15, 2023
My own get bvn.... But no single naira in it.. Sooo pls. Close my own join... It has no use... I can't remember when last i deposited money in my account so pls. F.G close am

2 Likes 3 Shares

Re: Banks Get 30-day Deadline To Close Accounts Without BVN by southsouthking(m): 6:30pm On May 15, 2023
Re: Banks Get 30-day Deadline To Close Accounts Without BVN by AFRICANJAMAICA: 6:30pm On May 15, 2023
Ok

Everything is wrong with nigeria...

3 Likes

Re: Banks Get 30-day Deadline To Close Accounts Without BVN by Justbeingreal(m): 6:30pm On May 15, 2023
NA BVN TURN AGAIN NOW.

2 Likes

Re: Banks Get 30-day Deadline To Close Accounts Without BVN by Readonee35L(m): 6:30pm On May 15, 2023
doesn’t make sense tho .
Some Nigerians are in prisons or abroad for years and are not able to do anything on their Nigerian account, sometime in the future they might come back and do the necessary update on their account and bvn to access the money left in their account.
Any account without bvn has debit restrictions which means the owners can’t withdraw from them. Until they do their bvn. So I don’t see the reason to close the account when the owner might still come for their hard earned money in the future.

44 Likes

Re: Banks Get 30-day Deadline To Close Accounts Without BVN by Dee60: 6:30pm On May 15, 2023
There they go again!

Please dont come back to say that you have mistakenly closed valid accounts.

1 Like

Re: Banks Get 30-day Deadline To Close Accounts Without BVN by Whois(m): 6:32pm On May 15, 2023
wahala for digital banks like palmpay, opay accounts without bvn.

3 Likes

Re: Banks Get 30-day Deadline To Close Accounts Without BVN by Beremx(f): 6:32pm On May 15, 2023
Buhari and his corrupt government wants to make sure they steal money from Nigerians. They have been targeting bank accounts of Nigerians and looking for ways to steal using flimsy excuses.

Ndi ori

6 Likes

Re: Banks Get 30-day Deadline To Close Accounts Without BVN by BeardGangJnr1(m): 6:32pm On May 15, 2023
My Opay no get bvn oh

4 Likes

Re: Banks Get 30-day Deadline To Close Accounts Without BVN by dododawa1: 6:32pm On May 15, 2023
EMEFELIE will riot in pot
Re: Banks Get 30-day Deadline To Close Accounts Without BVN by 2times2(m): 6:32pm On May 15, 2023
shirt....
how would i know if my account is bvn linked?
Re: Banks Get 30-day Deadline To Close Accounts Without BVN by SeniorMan715(m): 6:33pm On May 15, 2023
Make nothing happen to my account i opened with my number without BVN
Re: Banks Get 30-day Deadline To Close Accounts Without BVN by Judolisco(m): 6:34pm On May 15, 2023
God1000:
So we still have Bank accounts without BVN in Nigeria
yes na... Most go be dead people Sha
Re: Banks Get 30-day Deadline To Close Accounts Without BVN by cunny88(m): 6:35pm On May 15, 2023
Emefiele and his cronies wants to convert untraceable funds to personal use. So many dead and aged and accounts with dual identities. The funds will run into several billions

7 Likes

Re: Banks Get 30-day Deadline To Close Accounts Without BVN by MikeMicheal(m): 6:36pm On May 15, 2023
ok
Re: Banks Get 30-day Deadline To Close Accounts Without BVN by Mandesz(m): 6:36pm On May 15, 2023
that warning isn't the first and aren't gonna be the last.
only big man accounts still pending.
Re: Banks Get 30-day Deadline To Close Accounts Without BVN by Illegal1(m): 6:36pm On May 15, 2023
Omoh.......dis vulture head cbn governor dey fyn dye minute money to loot b4 tinubu enter

2 Likes

Re: Banks Get 30-day Deadline To Close Accounts Without BVN by tnerro1(m): 6:36pm On May 15, 2023
Emefeli go soon go with all him wahala

6 Likes

Re: Banks Get 30-day Deadline To Close Accounts Without BVN by cardoctor(m): 6:36pm On May 15, 2023
Thank God I'm cleared
Re: Banks Get 30-day Deadline To Close Accounts Without BVN by Nobody: 6:40pm On May 15, 2023
That's what they always say..
Re: Banks Get 30-day Deadline To Close Accounts Without BVN by lavylilly: 6:42pm On May 15, 2023
The way money will disappear from certain bank account grin

1 Like

Re: Banks Get 30-day Deadline To Close Accounts Without BVN by mytime24(f): 6:42pm On May 15, 2023
How many deadline
We go hear concerning this bvn and nin of a thing
Re: Banks Get 30-day Deadline To Close Accounts Without BVN by Nobody: 6:43pm On May 15, 2023
So some bank customers don't have a BVN?
I don't also believe that all mobile phone users have NIN.
Re: Banks Get 30-day Deadline To Close Accounts Without BVN by Astra101: 6:43pm On May 15, 2023
This country is a joke... A big joke!
You mean all these while there were still some accounts without BVN?
With every passing day and with every policies being enacted it appears that is a criminal entity than a nation. Sadly, this is the land of my birth 😭😢😭

2 Likes

Re: Banks Get 30-day Deadline To Close Accounts Without BVN by seunlayi(m): 6:44pm On May 15, 2023
CBN again
Re: Banks Get 30-day Deadline To Close Accounts Without BVN by CartelKenneth: 6:44pm On May 15, 2023
Finished country

(1) (2) (3) (Reply)

I Want To Make An Order From Aliexpress. Advice Needed. / U.S's Binance Probe Expands To Examine Possible Insider Trading / Castor Seed Seller

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 25
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.