Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,148,790 members, 7,802,491 topics. Date: Friday, 19 April 2024 at 03:27 PM

Misreading Signals - Romance - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Romance / Misreading Signals (2056 Views)

Man Poisons Himself After Misreading Innocent Message On Girlfriend's Phone / Getting Signals From Sister In Law? / When A Man Is Giving You Mixed Signals (2) (3) (4)

(1) (Reply) (Go Down)

Misreading Signals by emofine(f): 10:46am On Sep 27, 2011
How easy is body language to detect and relay?

I used to suspect that some people who misread signals just imagine what they want or indeed they are being misled.

[Q]. . .Are the signals we relay affected by the exhibitionist i.e. is body language more difficult to read from a person reserved in nature?

[Q]. . .or is there a sub-concious minor emotion that we still relay that is being read/received over our dominant feelings?

i.e. I was in a dialogue with a particular man. I also happen to be reserved in nature. As our conversation had graduated from a PG rating into sordid territory I felt uncomfortable and I believed such feelings was apparent in my body language . . instead he mistook my serious discomfort for wild lust . . . well since he was American maybe they interpret certain gestures differently undecided
Re: Misreading Signals by Nobody: 11:03am On Sep 27, 2011
emofine? where did you get that from?
Re: Misreading Signals by LongOne1(m): 12:19pm On Sep 27, 2011
emofine:

[Q]. . .Are the signals we relay affected by the exhibitionist i.e. is body language more difficult to read from a person reserved in nature?

Yes, I believe people who are reserved in nature can mask their feelings more than lively/outgoing people. I also believe the reason for the body language can be misinterpreted, but not the language itself.

In your example, you may have expressed a tremulous motion i.e. a shiver, because you were afraid of treading those waters with him. (Maybe he is your father’s age/he is super-ugly/he is not your type/one of those lame excuses women usually come up with grin).

Interpreting this as a sensation borne out of fright, cold, or excitement, he would naturally eliminate fright if you’ve known him for a while and cold due to favourable weather conditions on the said day, which would lead him to believe it was borne out of excitement.

emofine:

[Q]. . .or is there a sub-concious minor emotion that we still relay that is being read/received over our dominant feelings?

The eyes are the window to the soul, if you look deep into someone’s eyes, you will see the truth (hence why marketing jobs stress eye contact first before enthusiastic body language during a pitch).

I believe the eye is the one place you can't hide your true emotions as it will still be relayed (I work with lots of white people unfortunately and see the hate in their eyes, even though they flash their 32 regularly at me, lol).
Re: Misreading Signals by claremont(m): 12:53pm On Sep 27, 2011
emofine:

How easy is body language to detect and relay?

I used to suspect that some people who misread signals just imagine what they want or indeed they are being misled.

i.e. I was in a dialogue with a particular man. I also happen to be reserved in nature. As our conversation had graduated from a PG rating into sordid territory I felt uncomfortable and I believed such feelings was apparent in my body language . . [size=13pt]instead he mistook my serious discomfort for wild lust[/size] . . . well since he was American maybe they interpret certain gestures differently undecided
grin grin cheesy
Re: Misreading Signals by IZUKWU(m): 1:27pm On Sep 27, 2011
This is going technical
Re: Misreading Signals by emofine(f): 1:32pm On Sep 27, 2011
sauer:

emofine? where did you get that from?  

I'm just trying to connect dots no matter how unrelated or far they appear. . .

Long One:
In your example, you may have expressed a tremulous motion i.e. a shiver, because you were afraid of treading those waters with him. (Maybe he is your father’s age/he is super-ugly/he is not your type/one of those lame excuses women usually come up with grin).

no comment lol

The eyes are the window to the soul, if you look deep into someone’s eyes, you will see the truth

That does make sense, I couldn't even sustain eye contact regularly with him and when I did I will be honest I did try to mask some of my fright. I didn't want him to know how scared I was but I did want him to know I was uncomfortable -  it didn't work though. . .anyway generally I'm not the easiest person to read. . . and sometimes I've realized it's an advantage - not in this case however.
Re: Misreading Signals by Nobody: 2:00pm On Sep 27, 2011
I'm naturally talented with the art of reading body language and connect them with the person's speech! I also give out conflicting signals to the other party, so they never actually know what i'm thinking! cant explain it though, guess i was born that way! Some just dont pay attention to that though. Sounds strange to them! And i can categorically tell you, that people reserved in nature are the easiest to read, cos when they make their "once in a while comments", they usually let alot of feelings and emotions out! And yes, though your second question may sound illogical to a casual observer, i agree that there is a minor sub conscious emotion that we relay! That makes it easy for me to read you and vice versa! But i also believe it can be controlled to an extent, then you can send out wrong and confusing signals too! Then, it'll really take a very good body language detective, to be able to sniff you out!

Nice thread! I'm enjoying it! A stray from the norm! wink
Re: Misreading Signals by tellwisdom: 2:53pm On Sep 27, 2011
Shattap there, U wey no get girlfriend. angry angry
Re: Misreading Signals by Nobody: 2:59pm On Sep 27, 2011
tellwisdom:

Shattap there, U wey no get girlfriend. angry angry
Huh? I'm still dating your sister!
Re: Misreading Signals by MrsChima1(f): 2:59pm On Sep 27, 2011
Signals can be confusing if the person isn't sure about the message they are trying to deliver.  

Ex. A man rejecting a woman while swallowing her face.   undecided
Re: Misreading Signals by tellwisdom: 4:30pm On Sep 27, 2011
Huh? I'm still dating your sister!

cheesy cheesy MUMU PIKIN, I dont have a sister
Re: Misreading Signals by Nobody: 5:08pm On Sep 27, 2011
sexkillz:

I'm naturally talented with the art of reading body language and connect them with the person's speech! I also give out conflicting signals to the other party, so they never actually know what i'm thinking! cant explain it though, guess i was born that way! Some just dont pay attention to that though. Sounds strange to them! And i can categorically tell you, that people reserved in nature are the easiest to read, cos when they make their "once in a while comments", they usually let alot of feelings and emotions out! And yes, though your second question may sound illogical to a casual observer, i agree that there is a minor sub conscious emotion that we relay! That makes it easy for me to read you and vice versa! But i also believe it can be controlled to an extent, then you can send out wrong and confusing signals too! Then, it'll really take a very good body language detective, to be able to sniff you out!

Nice thread! I'm enjoying it! A stray from the norm! wink

your font type keeps changing. This is even worse!
Re: Misreading Signals by tellwisdom: 10:31pm On Sep 27, 2011
your font type keeps changing. This is even worse!

Re: Misreading Signals by nnwniger: 1:57am On Sep 28, 2011
You said the dialogue with this lover boy graduated from PG to x,doesn't sound like a woman who's not interested, and as a pretender, I mean a reserved personality that he might have misread your intentions. What a joke
Re: Misreading Signals by iice(f): 4:34am On Sep 28, 2011
Signals can be confusing sometimes. Hence why i always advocate for being blunt. People aren't good at reading signals, heck some are terrible at comprehending words. You need to go for the jugular to get what you mean across. I read people well. Some say it's because of my water sign. . .being otherworldly and all tongue Still i prefer to have laid out.
Re: Misreading Signals by Nobody: 4:51am On Sep 28, 2011
Some people see what they want to see or just simply choose not to read the signals. smiley

(1) (Reply)

Getting A Good And Cute Guy To Date: / Six Women For Im Church Get Vision About Him Being Their Husband / Thief!

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 28
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.