Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,150,297 members, 7,808,010 topics. Date: Thursday, 25 April 2024 at 02:56 AM

My Younger Brother Is Having Serious Issues In The University - Education (3) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Education / My Younger Brother Is Having Serious Issues In The University (31253 Views)

Student Beats Teacher To Death For Flogging His Younger Sister In Delta (Photo) / My Younger Brother Joined NDA After Graduation From University / My Younger Sister Is Too Dull. (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: My Younger Brother Is Having Serious Issues In The University by rickleye: 7:31pm On May 21, 2023
PaNnamdi:
My younger brother studying biochemistry at the University of Benin have had about 5 carry overs. Now he is in his third year, and he is seriously depressed. I have seriously reprimanded him and also consoled him but I don't want him to spill and based on the fact that when am in school I never had issues like this, I decided to bring this online.

Is it possible for him to drop some of the mandatory courses in his department(note not core courses o,but mandatory courses) to accommodate for the carry over courses he had.

Please I need legit answers from those who are experienced in issues like this.

Mod u can place or more this to the rightful thread, Some might still be passing through this situation too in silent.

Must he go to University. Why not access his strengths and go to any of the tertiary colleges based on what he wants to do. Be it even trades - mechanic , nurse aid , carpentry.
How many grads out there are working ?
The main d main is that he is able to acquire knowledge and put food on the table.
Re: My Younger Brother Is Having Serious Issues In The University by Promise47(m): 7:33pm On May 21, 2023
I have same issue when I was in the university (graduated through) I meet some of the leacture it was one of the senior leacture that help me with beginning and the rest if not I for nor graduate may God bless him for me Dr.Jonthan.T God bless you sir more grace on you and your family

1 Like

Re: My Younger Brother Is Having Serious Issues In The University by Yampotatocarrot(m): 7:33pm On May 21, 2023
Barims:

Please bro. Let's assume that someone had some carry-overs in their first semester exam at the 100-level, and fortunately, that person passed those courses in their 100-level second semester exam. Will that person still have to retake those courses again in the first semester at the 200 level? Please enlighten me on this.

A first semester carryover can only be retaken in the first semester of another year, same applies to a second semester carryover... Meaning you can't take a first semester carryover in second semester and vice versa

To the topic, if those courses are prerequisites, forget it, spillover STRAIGHT... Infact, some departments don't allow you take two prerequisites in the same year, so the number of prerequisites carryovers you have equals the number of extra year

Unless your brother settled whatever issue is causing him to have the carryovers, expect more in his third year and even final year

3 Likes

Re: My Younger Brother Is Having Serious Issues In The University by Rosaline5000: 7:34pm On May 21, 2023
Yes he can drop some courses and fill in the CO, I went to uniben and that's even the practice, you have to register for your carry overs first before your level courses.
He shouldn't feel depressed, Biochemistry is one of the worst departments in Life Science, he should just push through even if he spends an extra year, it's not a big deal, when I was in school people that were reading a 6 years course were spending extra 3 years in school.
He should read as if his life depends on it and leave the rest to God but no matter the outcome he will be fine.
Re: My Younger Brother Is Having Serious Issues In The University by Promise47(m): 7:35pm On May 21, 2023
It's Uniben if na for Delsu omo na God Sha
we pray he scale through in Jesus name amen
PaNnamdi:
My younger brother studying biochemistry at the University of Benin have had about 5 carry overs. Now he is in his third year, and he is seriously depressed. I have seriously reprimanded him and also consoled him but I don't want him to spill and based on the fact that when am in school I never had issues like this, I decided to bring this online.

Is it possible for him to drop some of the mandatory courses in his department(note not core courses o,but mandatory courses) to accommodate for the carry over courses he had.

Mod u can place or more this to the rightful thread, Some might still be passing through this situation too in silent.
Re: My Younger Brother Is Having Serious Issues In The University by ArticleBeast: 7:37pm On May 21, 2023
triple996:

Pa chukwudi is that you
Na him o. Papa Chukwudi wey na all profession e dey
Re: My Younger Brother Is Having Serious Issues In The University by casspersteve: 7:40pm On May 21, 2023
malcom1X:
Bro there are lecturers meant for this, he needs to talk to those lecturers.

It is that lecturer that will tell him what he needs to do.

Secondly you need to check your brother why would someone have 5 carryovers?
Is it money, gambling, girls, flexing or cultism.

You need to focus on the main issue rather than beating round the bush...

You need to ask him what the problem is.

For my 200level first semester na 7F, i failed 7 courses but I graduated with my set and my name came out first list, I pray the young guy doesn’t relent, carry over no be death sentence ooo

1 Like 1 Share

Re: My Younger Brother Is Having Serious Issues In The University by UYEMDO35(m): 7:46pm On May 21, 2023
You're using your younger brother to cover up instead of admitting that you're actually the one.. that innocent boy wey he never get carry over before, you want to start implicating him with your fake lifestyle. E fit be say na your type dey oppress us for school with their big boys lifestyle trying to slip with everything under the skirt.. even the ones were we dey manage sef una go use force collect ham just becuz u have cash to spent.
First! My advice for you is that....
Pay attention to what is distracting you and then fight your way out, if you are able to do dis , You will get to thank me later...

1 Like 1 Share

Re: My Younger Brother Is Having Serious Issues In The University by ppogba: 7:47pm On May 21, 2023
Samantha124:
It's possible he doesn't like or understand biochemistry.

And don't try comparing him with you because he's not you, even twins that were born together have different interests in life.

Very well said.

1 Like

Re: My Younger Brother Is Having Serious Issues In The University by Emmanuel30a: 7:49pm On May 21, 2023
comrChris:
Some folks here are the reason many don't ask for help here.
Just imagine people's response to somebody seeking for help for his brother
Mention those folks; Oakes,"Voakes", Ovoke,etc; don't provokes or don't get provoked... Don't be easily voked&provoked... Did you want to smokes or drink cokes...? Smokes&drink cokes...? You want a coke or you want to smoke(cigarette...like Gareth, Margaret, Macbeth, Elizabeth,etc; that use to play bet, wear beret, play bet&wears beret or use their belt&beret to play bet...? Let us bet... You are from what "berth", wears what belt&beret, gives birth 2 what, etc...?...)? What did u know or can u say about cokes,chokes&smokes, pokes&provokes, yokes&etc...? "Do not be unequally yoked with d unbelievers..." It is GOD&THE LORD JESUS CHRIST(IN THE FORM OF ANNOINTING OR WHO&WHICH COMES IN THE ANNOINTING,ETC...), dat breaks d yokes or can breaks d yokes&okes or oakes of Ovokes, Oakes, "Voakes"/Vaughan, etc... May we not be yoked,be...
Re: My Younger Brother Is Having Serious Issues In The University by CharlesJok3r: 7:50pm On May 21, 2023
He should drop out. There are better things he can do and excel at in life apart from school.
Re: My Younger Brother Is Having Serious Issues In The University by Sucre6: 7:55pm On May 21, 2023
First of all the carryovers he has was It for first or second semester, plus what is the maximum course load of each semester, this will determine if he can squeeze them In this is the only way he could escape it, if the course load he can register for each semester is already at full capacity then, he would spill.
Re: My Younger Brother Is Having Serious Issues In The University by toprealman: 8:00pm On May 21, 2023
PaNnamdi:

Send me his number. We can work together in getting this resolved.
Re: My Younger Brother Is Having Serious Issues In The University by anomaly20: 8:05pm On May 21, 2023
With the reintroduction of E grade back to UNIBEN, your bro no suppose get reach 5 CO for BCH.
Normally, your bro don spill over except the CO are 2 units courses.

Spill over is not the end of the world sha
Re: My Younger Brother Is Having Serious Issues In The University by DrDunamis(m): 8:05pm On May 21, 2023
PaNnamdi:

You might sincerely and honestly be part of his challenge actually. I'll explain.
I've come to discover that there's a certain kind and level of empathy that those who haven't experienced a situation or something similar, can never have and will never have.
Scolding someone with 5 carryovers isn't really a wise thing, cos even one who's not serious with his life and academics would be bothered by such.
Biochemistry isn't for the faint of heart with all their partways, Enzymes and substrates. I'm sure he already knows what to do to avoid an extra year, but even if it comes to that don't make it worse for him than it already is.
Re: My Younger Brother Is Having Serious Issues In The University by marlow1962(m): 8:05pm On May 21, 2023
PaNnamdi:

Omo bro tell your brother make him package the lecturers well financially, na who get money they graduate o bro. Forget all this rubbish some people they comment for here. When your brother ready graduate, him go do the needful. And NO, as long as the course is mandatory, him need pass all, except say him no wn graduate.
Re: My Younger Brother Is Having Serious Issues In The University by mrblessed(m): 8:06pm On May 21, 2023
He had to register the carry over courses first before adding other courses depending on the maximum credit load of that semester/session. For someone to have five carry overs shows he is either not serious with studies or he has Psychological issues that are hampering his performance.

2 Likes

Re: My Younger Brother Is Having Serious Issues In The University by PROPEACE: 8:06pm On May 21, 2023
malcom1X:
Bro there are lecturers meant for this, he needs to talk to those lecturers.

It is that lecturer that will tell him what he needs to do.

Secondly you need to check your brother why would someone have 5 carryovers?
Is it money, gambling, girls, flexing or cultism.

You need to focus on the main issue rather than beating round the bush...

You need to ask him what the problem is.
Having 5 carry overs na normal thin for my almamater. Some get that much in their first year alone. I don't know what the big deal is in having 5 carry overs that anyone will feel depressed about it. In my set, out of over 50 of us that started from 100 level, I am the only one that graduated without a carry over, many of the are doing better than me today.

1 Like

Re: My Younger Brother Is Having Serious Issues In The University by Nwachi22(f): 8:07pm On May 21, 2023
PaNnamdi:

You are mad,sense u nor get u think everybody is hopeless and useless like you are.i am not your mate.dont ever u quote me again.
Ozuor
Ndi ara

Mtcheew

This shows that you’re the one that have carryovers. You’re just fronting your younger brother.

1 Like

Re: My Younger Brother Is Having Serious Issues In The University by Ashawoman82: 8:07pm On May 21, 2023
MasterTeeUSA:
I just had this discussion today...school is not for everyone..Instead of wasting money...he should invest in farming or other business and do certifications to become a master of his craft. Parents need to get over this desperate needs for a degree...even in the US, a billionaire is paying people not to go to college because he considers it a waste.

Now I don't think it's a waste but we often enter for a course we don't like and don't want because of cutoff then we keep on...then finish terribly and then realize we can't get a job with 2.2 or 3rd class and then regret the whole thing...why not cut your loss early and move on?

I left dentistry ...felt ashamed and later got full scholarship to study what I really enjoy Engineering and graduated with honors. I wanted to be a dentist for the money really..I enjoy the handiwork but the studying I hated and the professor...I withdrew after 2yrs...everyone was shocked. 10+ yrs later...no regret

so 2;2 is now a terrible result? Anyway it depends how on your course of study .

1 Like

Re: My Younger Brother Is Having Serious Issues In The University by zhirkovrado(m): 8:09pm On May 21, 2023
Wow! Seems I'm level on with your bro only that I don't have carryovers, I'm also in my year 3 now at Benue State University studying biochemistry. All I can say is it's not easy, those lecturers will frustrate you, you will be having different lectures from different departments including chemistry, biology and biochemistry department it self. Personally I could have been having issues too for the fact that I mostly combine school and hustle to meet ends. However I do put in fire energy to studies most especially during assessments and exams to cope up. Meanwhile from what I previously observed, this 300L is usually the most hardest stage in the department as you would be exposed to almost all the key courses in the department, I'm preparing to quit my hustle now and face whatever will befall me. I advise your brother to brace himself up for what is coming ahead. Let him tell you his stance about what he's thinking about concerning the course. It has come to a level now that it's not all about getting a degree but to graduate with good grades. I previously thought about first class but for wetin my eyes don see angry
I pray I conserve my 2:1 till I graduate so help me God.
Re: My Younger Brother Is Having Serious Issues In The University by Bobbyjay001(m): 8:09pm On May 21, 2023
optionalY09:
There are courses that need more of practical than just reading to pass useless written examinations.

Does your brother have a computer with 24hrs internet. That would be a good resource for him. If he’s not following let him drop out and go to practical nursing school

There are thousands of online institutions capable of transferring useful knowledge to his brain than University of Benin

As a matter of fact why is he studying bio chemistry, what can he do with that in Nigeria

Please, name some of the institutions. I want to check something.
Re: My Younger Brother Is Having Serious Issues In The University by LyfeJennings(m): 8:10pm On May 21, 2023
PaNnamdi:

Ur excuse for not wanting him to spill is a bit funny. oga I spilled and here I am today. God is great. My advice is to let him spill if he has to or U pay ur way to make him grad
Re: My Younger Brother Is Having Serious Issues In The University by wfjimmytobby(m): 8:10pm On May 21, 2023
Make he drop out go learn yahoo..school no be im way
Re: My Younger Brother Is Having Serious Issues In The University by SirLakes: 8:15pm On May 21, 2023
Oga spill or splash does not define you ooo

My mates who spilled in uni are making sense today more than those who didn't. Some of them are outside the country doing well.

If still in 3ooL with just 5 co, there's still probability you won't spill provided you don't have more, they'll be room to add more units in 4 and 500 level

✌️✌️✌️
Re: My Younger Brother Is Having Serious Issues In The University by aktolly54(m): 8:16pm On May 21, 2023
PaNnamdi:

did you force him to do the course or what? He should have gone for less course because Nigeria we dey , to see work is not about what you study
Re: My Younger Brother Is Having Serious Issues In The University by frozen70(f): 8:35pm On May 21, 2023
Resurrection212:
You are silly boy go and face your miserable life that is fading away if care not taking you will not graduate. You will become big brother in campus.

Are you wishing him luck or you are swearing for him

Comon we are our brothers keeper

Let's put other people's emotions into consideration
Re: My Younger Brother Is Having Serious Issues In The University by Successkey11: 8:36pm On May 21, 2023
Good
Re: My Younger Brother Is Having Serious Issues In The University by frozen70(f): 8:37pm On May 21, 2023
PaNnamdi:

U are crazy.if u have nothing to contribute pls you could have kept quiet.me and u nor dey the same category offline.I don't tolerate idiots with nothing to show for life to come and ruin this thread be warned

Mr Donald trump ass licker cheesy

It has not gotten to that stage
We can't be solving problems with insults and abuse

Let's just learn to tolerate each other to the point we can no longer do
Re: My Younger Brother Is Having Serious Issues In The University by Starhearts: 8:38pm On May 21, 2023
Haakeem:
See dis juvenile o.
Carry multiple account they quote one person.
Make shame they catch you abeg.

Who be juvenile

Pls withdraw ur statement
Re: My Younger Brother Is Having Serious Issues In The University by Shancca: 8:38pm On May 21, 2023
PaNnamdi:

Problems like this are meant to be discussed with his lecturers. But you see Nigerian students, they are the worst set of students on Earth. They always frustrate the hard works of Nigerian lecturers and even in some cases, try to rub shoulders with them. Your brother probably has an academic advisor whom he can always meet for academic advice; easy peasy. Tell him to have a one on one with his HOD or Dean of his faculty. I was in his shoes 10 years but I wasn't shy to approach my lecturers.

1 Like

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (Reply)

Which Course Has More Job Opportunities After Graduation in Nigeria? / Unilorin Lecturer Orders 400 Level Students To Raise Hands For Making Noise / ASUU-UNILAG Sanctions 240 Lectures For Enrolling On IPPIS (Full List)

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 74
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.