Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,148,732 members, 7,802,213 topics. Date: Friday, 19 April 2024 at 11:06 AM

The Origin Of Garri (Photos) - Food - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Food / The Origin Of Garri (Photos) (1096 Views)

1 Cup Of Garri Is N300 In My Area, What About U? / I Bought A Paint Bucket Of Garri N1000 In My Area. How Much Is It In Your Area? / Drinking Of Garri And The Poverty Stigma (2) (3) (4)

(1) (Reply) (Go Down)

The Origin Of Garri (Photos) by Lostchild(m): 8:28am On May 22, 2023
It was at first confirmed on Wikipedia some time back. If truly I know the history of Garri, I won't hesitate to write it. But I asked my elderly Mama, where is garri originate from?

My mother told me where it originate from, but she didn't tell me the history of how garri came about.

The word Garri comes from the Urhobo word igarri. Pronoun "ee ga ree

After my internal travels, I found out and confirm the answers to this question. I am from the heart stàte. I have traveled Nigeria far and widely unto the whole south west and middle belt nortth central. My travel guild even told to buy and carry garri along my travels. Because garri is an expensive commodity in these land. Garri is not part of their staple food.

Immediately I left the heart state, I spent 3 days in Edo and I saw them eating pounded yam. It was difficult for me to eat Soup with their pounded yam.

I traveled farther and spent more days in the south west Yoruba land and I saw them eating amala and yam. I didn't burden myself as I brought garri along.

I traveled farther to the north central, the middle belt and I saw them eating their food. Getting a tasty meal become very difficult for me. I didn't enjoy much of my travels because of the cuisines.

This question is re- asked, which Nigeria region garri originate from.

Let us fast check the - reality below
Re: The Origin Of Garri (Photos) by Lostchild(m): 8:28am On May 22, 2023
1.Northern Nigeria
The original stable food of the north people of the Hausa 's is "tunwo" right?

2.South West Nigeria
The original stable food of the south west people of the Yoruba's is "amala" and yam

3.South East Nigeria
The original stable food of the south east people of the Igbo's is akpu"

4.South South Nigeria
The original stable food of the south south people of the Esan/Bini Edo people is "pounded yam"

The original stable food of the south south people of the urhobos's is what? "garri. They even have alternative, starch consumption, extracted from cassava root.

The Ijaws and the Itsekiri are heavily influence by the Urhobos and their cuisines.

If anyone tells you that, garri is from the South West, South east, or Northern Nigeria, they are lying to you.

Garri origin is from south south of (Urhobos)

Re: The Origin Of Garri (Photos) by Lostchild(m): 8:29am On May 22, 2023
Feel free to disagree. [quote][/quote]
Re: The Origin Of Garri (Photos) by CodeTemplar: 11:41am On May 23, 2023
Starch is urhobo thing and not frying of cassava grits.
Re: The Origin Of Garri (Photos) by ChybuzzDD(m): 12:28pm On May 24, 2023
I was eagerly reading to see where you would link the origin to marine spirits.

Surprisingly, you didn't go that route, your usual route, for the first time ever!
Re: The Origin Of Garri (Photos) by ycat: 1:14am On May 27, 2023
Gari origin is Ijebu.
Amala is Oyo staple.
Eba is Ijebu stable.
Gari soakings is our export

You can't group Yoruba the way you group other tribes. Yoruba is a nation and in that nation we have tribes and every tribe has its own staple. That's why most of you have one swallow Akpu and Yoruba have at least 6 types. I'm not counting imported Semo and others. And yes Gari was first Ijebu's before it became other's all over the world.
Lostchild:
1.Northern Nigeria
The original stable food of the north people of the Hausa 's is "tunwo" right?

2.South West Nigeria
The original stable food of the south west people of the Yoruba's is "amala" and yam

3.South East Nigeria
The original stable food of the south east people of the Igbo's is akpu"

4.South South Nigeria
The original stable food of the south south people of the Esan/Bini Edo people is "pounded yam"

The original stable food of the south south people of the urhobos's is what? "garri. They even have alternative, starch consumption, extracted from cassava root.

The Ijaws and the Itsekiri are heavily influence by the Urhobos and their cuisines.

If anyone tells you that, garri is from the South West, South east, or Northern Nigeria, they are lying to you.

Garri origin is from south south of (Urhobos)
Re: The Origin Of Garri (Photos) by Lostchild(m): 2:01am On May 27, 2023
ycat:
Gari origin is Ijebu.
Amala is Oyo staple.
Eba is Ijebu stable.
Gari soakings is our export

You can't group Yoruba the way you group other tribes. Yoruba is a nation and in that nation we have tribes and every tribe has its own staple. That's why most of you have one swallow Akpu and Yoruba have at least 6 types. I'm not counting imported Semo and others. And yes Gari was first Ijebu's before it became other's all over the world.

Where does indomine noodles originated from?
Don't we have different make of indomine noodles today?
Re: The Origin Of Garri (Photos) by ycat: 2:06am On May 27, 2023
Indomie is just the Nigerian's Ramen style noodles and the origin is East Asia or China to be precise. The oligarchs of Indonesia are Chinese Riyadi, so noodles is Chinese
Lostchild:

Where does indomine noodles originated from?
Don't we have different make of indomine noodles today?

1 Like

Re: The Origin Of Garri (Photos) by Littlechild(m): 3:12pm On May 29, 2023
ycat:
Indomie is just the Nigerian's Ramen style noodles and the origin is East Asia or China to be precise. The oligarchs of Indonesia are Chinese Riyadi, so noodles is Chinese

OK.
I hear you Sir smiley

(1) (Reply)

Nigerian Moi Moi And Pap Recipe / How True Is This? / How To Prepare Zobo Drink

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 22
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.