Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,150,053 members, 7,807,164 topics. Date: Wednesday, 24 April 2024 at 10:36 AM

3 Myths Derailing Job Seekers. - Jobs/Vacancies - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Jobs/Vacancies / 3 Myths Derailing Job Seekers. (7856 Views)

Nigeria Is Becoming Mentally Derailing. / Professional CV and Cover Letter Templates For Job Seekers / 10 Tips Job-seekers Must Follow If They Want To Get A Meaningful Job (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (Reply) (Go Down)

3 Myths Derailing Job Seekers. by IyaTola: 9:58am On May 22, 2023
3 Myths derailing Job Seekers.

Some candidates complain that there are no jobs around but the few opportunities opened are ignored. Some allow the social media space misguide them in making decisions. Don’t be your worst enemy tailor guiding your life with SM stories.

1. Accepting low salary is slavery.
Don’t let Social media fool you that you shouldn’t accept low salary at entry points. Use this opportunity to gather more experience. I know the economy is tough but remember there are so many candidates out there pushing for same thing.

2. If you have Gap years, shoot down any offer belittling your position and experience.

Unfortunately, some HR practitioners are yet to come to terms that gap years are great learning period.

Don’t let some people’s experience mislead you. Accept this in the interim and use it to re-enter the workspace. We all wouldn’t have the same sweet story. Unfortunately, that’s life. Remember Your story, Your personal journey.

3. Immediately turn down any offer not meeting your expectations.

Look at your career Journey, would this impact positively on your career, if yes! Engage! Engage! Engage to Negotiate and be mindful of what you are negotiating on.

This write-up is as a result of 3 people reaching out to me during the course of 2 weeks regretting their decisions on Job Offers made to them.

Tried as much as I could to reach out to some of the organizations on their behalf with the aim of bringing them back to the table to re-negotiate but the damage have been done.

👉🏽Life is in stages!

👉🏽Take time and plan your career growth and don’t go with the bandwagons.

👉🏽Some come online to sell you falsehood! Own your story!

👉🏽Starting small is not a misnomer!

👉🏽If you can’t earn much now, ensure you are learning much!

Don’t turn down now and regret later and be in the job market to later accept something more lower than was offered a year ago.

11 Likes 5 Shares

Re: 3 Myths Derailing Job Seekers. by marlow1962(m): 1:00pm On May 22, 2023
Ok
Re: 3 Myths Derailing Job Seekers. by FirstSense: 1:00pm On May 22, 2023
Nice
Re: 3 Myths Derailing Job Seekers. by fitinwell: 1:00pm On May 22, 2023
This message are meant for fresh Graduates and early job seekers..

If you have Graduated 20yrs ago and due to circumstances like downsizing you were led off...

Now you got a Job ready to pay you peanuts as a family man..

My Brother Run ooo

9 Likes 1 Share

Re: 3 Myths Derailing Job Seekers. by Solofresh2: 1:01pm On May 22, 2023
Good points
Re: 3 Myths Derailing Job Seekers. by yawehoverall: 1:02pm On May 22, 2023
Okay
Re: 3 Myths Derailing Job Seekers. by Father4all: 1:03pm On May 22, 2023
Nawa oo
Re: 3 Myths Derailing Job Seekers. by Nobody: 1:05pm On May 22, 2023
Best truth I've seen on Nairaland these days

4 Likes

Re: 3 Myths Derailing Job Seekers. by oneolajire(m): 1:07pm On May 22, 2023
Rubbish dot com.

There were years jobs were waiting for you before graduation when leaders refused to loot, there were abundant companies, offices and firms to work.

We are now in the years where HR is king and they are all motivational speakers just because some people looted the fortune of the country abroad. Imagine the jobs that would have been created ( the way OBJ created jobs in telecom) if we have 20 functional refineries, 10 steel plants, intra and inter city railway, state of the art mega hospitals in each senatorial district, mega farms etc.

7 Likes

Re: 3 Myths Derailing Job Seekers. by shawnfamous(m): 1:23pm On May 22, 2023
I love this but sometimes accepting a little pay when u notice many of your colleagues in same position earn more is depressing and even suicidal if it's same company.. I entirely love everything about the post.

1 Like

Re: 3 Myths Derailing Job Seekers. by Sofistcatdmoron: 1:25pm On May 22, 2023
grin
Re: 3 Myths Derailing Job Seekers. by respect80(m): 1:33pm On May 22, 2023
Good write-up but doesn't fit in some circumstances...

2 Likes

Re: 3 Myths Derailing Job Seekers. by JohnNgene: 1:40pm On May 22, 2023
The fourth myth has to be TO GET A JOB, YOU MUST KNOW SOMEBODY.

We can't deny that i.m (ima mmadu) or connections are important in Nigeria. Lol. Mana that doesn't mean that you can't get a job based on only merit or your qualifications.

The secret is to leverage on online sites like Jobberman, LinkedIn and WhatsApp groups. To join our WhatsApp group for job vacancies, biko message +234 909 5000 603

1 Like

Re: 3 Myths Derailing Job Seekers. by Rubyjade: 1:43pm On May 22, 2023
if they have alternatives
fitinwell:

If you have Graduated 20yrs ago and due to circumstances like downsizing you were led off...

My Brother Run ooo
Re: 3 Myths Derailing Job Seekers. by Godwin4444: 1:47pm On May 22, 2023
Though I don’t support settling for less but this naija mentality na wah ooo

Someone who doesn’t have anything doing is saying 3 million is small to start a business but tomorrow he will call u to send him 5k

He won’t accept a job offer of 70k cos it’s too small but can b going to his friends house to eat everyday

Motivational speakers will ruin some people

4 Likes

Re: 3 Myths Derailing Job Seekers. by Godwin4444: 1:48pm On May 22, 2023
fitinwell:

My Brother Run ooo
hope u are ready to feed him n his family?

That man’s wife will eventually come here n create thread of how useless his husband is

1 Like

Re: 3 Myths Derailing Job Seekers. by error4040: 1:55pm On May 22, 2023
Mtchwwwwwww
Re: 3 Myths Derailing Job Seekers. by GreaterFuture(m): 2:17pm On May 22, 2023
Fighting tirelessly
Re: 3 Myths Derailing Job Seekers. by tuns486(m): 3:03pm On May 22, 2023
shawnfamous:
I love this but sometimes accepting a little pay when u notice many of your colleagues in same position earn more is depressing and even suicidal if it's same company.. I entirely love everything about the post.

Well said and articulated.

Comes to look at Financial institution and the way the system is.

You been a contract staff for years earning peanut and newly onboarded Core Staff with whooping Salary of 250k as ET( Zero Experience)and yet they will under goes practical training from Contract Staff and later made your direct Supervisor.

Isn't that insane?

Isn't that frustrating enough?

Isn't that financial intimidating for a fellow Bsc holder with cognate experienced.

3 Likes

Re: 3 Myths Derailing Job Seekers. by Nobody: 3:19pm On May 22, 2023
Very Apt!
Re: 3 Myths Derailing Job Seekers. by Akanaz(m): 3:21pm On May 22, 2023
Although the employment rate is high, the great myth is there's no job out there.
Re: 3 Myths Derailing Job Seekers. by femmoy(m): 3:29pm On May 22, 2023
fitinwell:

My Brother Run ooo

Run to where? being a family man,you need steady income so if you reject that little offer,who's gon feed your family?

1 Like

Re: 3 Myths Derailing Job Seekers. by Johnjanrt: 5:30pm On May 22, 2023
cool
Interesting.
Pray we make it big. Lord hear our prayers.
Re: 3 Myths Derailing Job Seekers. by Emeka71(m): 5:33pm On May 22, 2023
winkGood write-up.
Re: 3 Myths Derailing Job Seekers. by HELLASJ(m): 6:18pm On May 22, 2023
Nice one Op
Re: 3 Myths Derailing Job Seekers. by qawa: 7:44pm On May 22, 2023
[url][/url]
Re: 3 Myths Derailing Job Seekers. by IyaTola: 7:59pm On May 22, 2023
wink
HELLASJ:
Nice one Op
Re: 3 Myths Derailing Job Seekers. by isabi2lof: 5:19pm On May 23, 2023
Nice one

1 Like

Re: 3 Myths Derailing Job Seekers. by osokemi: 11:02am On May 25, 2023
We are looking for partners, who can work in an IT firm. If you are interested please call this number: 09134885175

1 Like

(1) (2) (Reply)

N-EXIT EMAIL ISSUES: How To Resolve Email Issues / Opportunities At Usaid Nigeria Mission Check Now / Customer Service Officers - 100 Openings

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 22
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.