Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,149,972 members, 7,806,827 topics. Date: Wednesday, 24 April 2024 at 02:39 AM

My Experience With A Lady I Hired And Fired Last Week - Jobs/Vacancies (9) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Jobs/Vacancies / My Experience With A Lady I Hired And Fired Last Week (56842 Views)

How I Got Hired And Fired Within 24 Hours / Victor Nwosu Fined £45k For Telling A Lady 'I Like What I See’ During Interview / What A Friend Did To Me Last Week. (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) ... (6) (7) (8) (9) (10) (11) (12) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: My Experience With A Lady I Hired And Fired Last Week by RussellRutherfo: 6:55am On May 23, 2023
EmekaStanley:
I hired a lady last week Monday and fired her on Friday same week. I concluded she was not ready yet.

This lady came almost 2 hours late for interview without communicating her reason. If she was going to be late, she should inform the interviewer. Red flag.

I ignored that and decided to proceed with the interview. I decided not to conclude on her based on the interview outcome. I love giving people chances.

I offered her the job, she was excited. She was sent an offer letter which she accepted. On resumption date, this lady came late for work. First day at work. I was like 'Is this 24 year old lady innocently naïve or what?".

On Friday last week, this lady came to work by 10.55am. He work time is 8.00am, and she is an office admin. I was on my seat and sighted her walking in, I had to call her and told her to go back home, and that was it.

By the way, she lives like 15 minutes away from the office, and her route is always against traffic.

I wouldn't know when she resumed from Tuesday to Thursday because I came quite late on those days due to field engagements. When I resumed, I met her sleeping twice. After that, she abandoned her work and stepped out to answer a phone call for almost 1 hour.

My experience with this lady made me understand that a lot of people looking for work are not ready for/to work.

ES

As a business owner. I face this challenge. I wished we had very smart robots that one can get to work. I guess that's where A.I will be headed in the future.
Re: My Experience With A Lady I Hired And Fired Last Week by nevilbot: 6:56am On May 23, 2023
Or11:
There's something called a warning which is what you could have told her. Try this stunt in a developed world and watch her sue you.

Oga no one will sue you for sacking a newly employed staff after one week in the developed world. In the developed world, there is a probation period of 3-6 months where you are allowed to terminate a newly employed staff for mistakes made. Its after 6 months that it becomes difficult because the staff is now a confirmed staff.

So coming 2 work late twice within one week is a valid reason to sack a staff still on probation even in the developed world!
Re: My Experience With A Lady I Hired And Fired Last Week by Uchek(m): 6:59am On May 23, 2023
That's a lie! I live in developed country -- specifically New York State. The state has no-fault termination policy. Go read it.

Or11:
There's something called a warning which is what you could have told her. Try this stunt in a developed world and watch her sue you.

3 Likes

Re: My Experience With A Lady I Hired And Fired Last Week by dododawa1: 7:06am On May 23, 2023
Did you have AC in your office?
Before I know what to say.
Re: My Experience With A Lady I Hired And Fired Last Week by DonBenny77(m): 7:09am On May 23, 2023
EmekaStanley:
I hired a lady last week Monday and fired her on Friday same week. I concluded she was not ready yet.

This lady came almost 2 hours late for interview without communicating her reason. If she was going to be late, she should inform the interviewer. Red flag.

I ignored that and decided to proceed with the interview. I decided not to conclude on her based on the interview outcome. I love giving people chances.

I offered her the job, she was excited. She was sent an offer letter which she accepted. On resumption date, this lady came late for work. First day at work. I was like 'Is this 24 year old lady innocently naïve or what?".

On Friday last week, this lady came to work by 10.55am. He work time is 8.00am, and she is an office admin. I was on my seat and sighted her walking in, I had to call her and told her to go back home, and that was it.

By the way, she lives like 15 minutes away from the office, and her route is always against traffic.

I wouldn't know when she resumed from Tuesday to Thursday because I came quite late on those days due to field engagements. When I resumed, I met her sleeping twice. After that, she abandoned her work and stepped out to answer a phone call for almost 1 hour.

My experience with this lady made me understand that a lot of people looking for work are not ready for/to work.

ES
No be you employ fine lady?
Lady that comes to work after hookup that pays her 20k.
Employ someone that really needs the job like me and see if I won't arrive 1hr early

1 Like

Re: My Experience With A Lady I Hired And Fired Last Week by We4all: 7:13am On May 23, 2023
Ashirioluwa:

And how does that help your resume

I no longer job hunt nah.
Re: My Experience With A Lady I Hired And Fired Last Week by We4all: 7:17am On May 23, 2023
Houseontherock1:

It's better to resign or even reject an employment than getting sacked... it's not good for your CV; plus you never can tell when you will need that reference or where you'll meet the old boss undecided

Those rules don't work in Nigeria abeg. Reference ni? People get sacked everyday and easily move on to the next job.
Re: My Experience With A Lady I Hired And Fired Last Week by lekkicctv(m): 7:18am On May 23, 2023
Get Biometrics Time Attendance Terminals for your Staffs

Available options include:
Facial Recognition Terminal
Fingerprint Terminal
Card + Fingerprint Terminal
Fingerprint, Card + Password Terminal..
EmekaStanley:

ES

Re: My Experience With A Lady I Hired And Fired Last Week by sprints1: 7:19am On May 23, 2023
24 year old lady that is gen z now they will fraustrate you. You might have other hustle but you should have queried her firing her on the spot is so unjust you are lucky it's in naija for Abroad you go fit try that nonsense oo
Re: My Experience With A Lady I Hired And Fired Last Week by MissJoy29(f): 7:21am On May 23, 2023
Or11:
Both you & the 130 people liking your comment are not informed. Go & read up, make inquiries, ask questions or even come to me for information then come back and amend your statement.

Sue him indeed!
Re: My Experience With A Lady I Hired And Fired Last Week by Nobody: 7:21am On May 23, 2023
EmekaStanley:

ES

Terrible shocked shocked shocked
Re: My Experience With A Lady I Hired And Fired Last Week by Waffarianman(m): 7:22am On May 23, 2023
lopeshola:
I think one thing you failed to do as a manager was not asking if she has a problem or something disturbing keeping her back everyday. You said she really needed the job yet she came late everyday, that should tell you something is not right. Sometimes we need to know what our staff are going through as an employers, except they aren't ready to discuss their personal issues.

Have you guys ever worked as factory worker before try find a factory work within agbara industrial estate and see if the factory will tolerate what that lady has done to that bro up there and see if she will be kicked out same as this dude did

1 Like

Re: My Experience With A Lady I Hired And Fired Last Week by MissJoy29(f): 7:27am On May 23, 2023
samsard:
If you take a job it's presumed that you are ready to do it. No business owner wants to continually compromise because of personnel excuses.
Gbam!
Re: My Experience With A Lady I Hired And Fired Last Week by wisdomkid: 7:30am On May 23, 2023
Or11:

1. We are not in a developed world, because if we are, police brutality, vote bully, and education brouhaha won't be happening.

2. You saw his detailed reasons why she was fired and how he overlooked her first mistake, coming for an interview late, sleeping on duty, and going out to make call for an hour... Even in a developed world, she won't try that.

3. You can meet a serious girl at 18yrs much wiser than that. Maybe she likely don't need the money or as OP said, she's innocently naive

1 Like

Re: My Experience With A Lady I Hired And Fired Last Week by onlyboyson(m): 7:35am On May 23, 2023
You hired queen of the LATE KINGDOM
Re: My Experience With A Lady I Hired And Fired Last Week by MissJoy29(f): 7:39am On May 23, 2023
lopeshola:
I think one thing you failed to do as a manager was not asking if she has a problem or something disturbing keeping her back everyday. You said she really needed the job yet she came late everyday, that should tell you something is not right. Sometimes we need to know what our staff are going through as an employers, except they aren't ready to discuss their personal issues.
You will be surprised how much she will take it for granted or even misinterpret it if the boss were to act all concerned & caring. Remember we are talking about the first 5 days of resumption here o.

If she were to be a good & responsible employee from the beginning & then along the line she started declining in her input, then I will somehow fault the employer for not showing concern.

Again, you need to be wise to decipher when something is chronic & deliberate & when it's not intentional. If it's the former, she will probably not apologize first until the boss confronts her, not make efforts to change & will not care. And we saw that. For the interview, she was 2 hours late & the first day of resumption, almost 3 hours late. And I'm sure if the boss had come early on the other 3 days, he would have discovered she came late for the 5 days.
But if it's the latter, she will feel bad & remorseful, will apologize to the boss first, make genuine & tangible efforts to change & probably open up to the boss if there's anything outside the office causing her to act that way.

1 Like

Re: My Experience With A Lady I Hired And Fired Last Week by MissJoy29(f): 7:42am On May 23, 2023
zikter:
Correctly said, the place is most likely a one man show or without structure. Where I work, for you to sack someone takes a whole lot processes, query, first warning, second warning before sack is considered. Her attitude was bad but she was sacked in a wrong manner
No matter how structured a company is, there are some things you will do & no one will have time to give you queries and warnings. It's OUTRIGHT sack!

1 Like

Re: My Experience With A Lady I Hired And Fired Last Week by mediclife1987(m): 7:47am On May 23, 2023
EmekaStanley:
Well, when I warned her the second day, she started forming sad. I knew she needed the job because she tried so much to sell herself

How much was the salary? I'm guessing it was small. And I'm also guessing she wasn't a graduate too.

Graduates rarely mess their first jobs up.
Re: My Experience With A Lady I Hired And Fired Last Week by MissJoy29(f): 7:52am On May 23, 2023
LARRYOBRAIN:
Both you and her are at fault.
Why did the last admin officer left?
How much is her salary?
Why do you employ a late Comer?
Is the office convenient, is there work for her to do?
How many staff, do you have?
What's the relevance & relationship between her conduct & attitude to work and the questions you asked above?

The ONLY valid question in light of the things you wrote above is, "did she accept the offer letter that has the terms or work & her pay?

1 Like

Re: My Experience With A Lady I Hired And Fired Last Week by Pastev1(m): 7:58am On May 23, 2023
Oga CEO it's ok, but you missed an opportunity to change her, maybe because of her state of living God brought her to you for you to change her mindset, attitude, and backwardness. I meant that you could have found out the cause of the seriousness., counsel her even though you must fire her, at least let her learn from you. Think!
Re: My Experience With A Lady I Hired And Fired Last Week by LARRYOBRAIN(m): 7:58am On May 23, 2023
The relevance of my questions is to help you in decision making, taking your attention to what you are seeing.
Thank me later.
MissJoy29:

What's the relecance & relationship between her conduct & attitude to work and the questions you asked above?

The ONLY valid question in light of the things you wrote above is, "did she accept the offer letter that has the terms or work & her pay?
Re: My Experience With A Lady I Hired And Fired Last Week by Mayeldah(m): 7:59am On May 23, 2023
We4all:
She knew the work wasn't a serious one and did all that on purpose because she wanted to get sacked.

I once grudgingly went for an interview and was asked to sell myself. I bluntly told the interviewer that I had nothing to say.

If the person that recommended me had insisted and I had gotten the job, I could have acted like the lady in question just to get sacked.

You are not serious, why act that way just to get sacked?

What happened to rejecting the offer or resigning officially ab initio?

2 Likes

Re: My Experience With A Lady I Hired And Fired Last Week by Alpharey: 8:10am On May 23, 2023
saphiere:
Can we hear her own side of the story? Men these days would employ you and want to sleep with you. When you declined the next thing is sack.

This is not court room. It is only a report by the employer. Thanks
Re: My Experience With A Lady I Hired And Fired Last Week by ekitimanalways(m): 8:10am On May 23, 2023
africandollar:

Mtchew! Someone that shouldn’t have even been hired in the first place. Abeg how does someone just show up 2hrs late for an interview without any good reason? Na OP cause this wahala for himself.

You're right! OP ought to have raised his logic and decrease his emotional reactivity by listing the pros and cons of hiring a lady like that.

1 Like

Re: My Experience With A Lady I Hired And Fired Last Week by okpas01: 8:13am On May 23, 2023
Or11:
In developed countries people go to work for over 2hours late? People sleep on duty? People take a whole one hour just to take a call that's not relevant to their jobs? Sometimes we feel woke and imagine whatever we want to imagine about these so called developed countries.

2 Likes

Re: My Experience With A Lady I Hired And Fired Last Week by zikter(m): 8:14am On May 23, 2023
MissJoy29:

Na lie o....no matter how structured a company is, there are some things you will do & no one will have time to give you queries and warnings. It's OUTRIGHT sack!
not this type of offence. And there is nothing like lie about what I said. Each employee has a handbook and company policy where procedures are clearly spelt out including separate chapters on disciplinary measures. The company knows too well they have to follow those steps religiously to avoid legal fireworks.
Re: My Experience With A Lady I Hired And Fired Last Week by EmekaStanley: 8:16am On May 23, 2023
MissJoy29:

Na lie o....no matter how structured a company is, there are some things you will do & no one will have time to give you queries and warnings. It's OUTRIGHT sack!
You dey mind am?

I worked at one of the most structured companies in Lagos.

A project manager, a former colleague of mine was dismissed because he was sleeping at a very critical project meeting.

His Boss, the operations manager recommended his sack, and we never saw him again after the meeting

2 Likes

Re: My Experience With A Lady I Hired And Fired Last Week by EmekaStanley: 8:18am On May 23, 2023
mediclife1987:

How much was the salary? I'm guessing it was small. And I'm also guessing she wasn't a graduate too.

Graduates rarely mess their first jobs up.
The pay was reasonable but it doesn't matter.

Don't take a job you won't be committed to no matter the pay

2 Likes

Re: My Experience With A Lady I Hired And Fired Last Week by NECO1998: 8:19am On May 23, 2023
It it were to be in a developed country,she won't get the job in the first place.
Or11:
Re: My Experience With A Lady I Hired And Fired Last Week by NECO1998: 8:19am On May 23, 2023
If it were to be in a developed country,she won't get the job in the first place.
Or11:

2 Likes

Re: My Experience With A Lady I Hired And Fired Last Week by EmekaStanley: 8:19am On May 23, 2023
MissJoy29:

What's the relevance & relationship between her conduct & attitude to work and the questions you asked above?

You are obviously enlightened.

1 Like

(1) (2) (3) ... (6) (7) (8) (9) (10) (11) (12) (Reply)

Can You Answer These Tricky Job Interview Questions From Apple Inc / 22 Years: The Age Requirement For A Job I Stumbled Upon Online Today (pic) / From USA, is It Real Or Fake (photos)

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 62
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.