Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,150,395 members, 7,808,412 topics. Date: Thursday, 25 April 2024 at 11:36 AM

My Decision To Close Land Borders Was Appreciated By Nigerians — Buhari - Politics - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Politics / My Decision To Close Land Borders Was Appreciated By Nigerians — Buhari (23328 Views)

Buhari Reveals What Will Determine Reopening Of Land Borders / FG Bans Import, Export Of All Goods At Land Borders / Fed Govt To Close Land Borders From 12noon (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (Reply) (Go Down)

My Decision To Close Land Borders Was Appreciated By Nigerians — Buhari by nlfpmod: 1:33pm On May 23, 2023
President Muhammadu Buhari says he closed the country’s land borders to encourage Nigerians to produce food for their consumption.

He said although the move was initially criticised, Nigerians eventually appreciated it.

Buhari spoke on Tuesday while inaugurating the new customs headquarters that reportedly cost N19.6 billion to construct.

The edifice is located in the Maitama district of the federal capital territory (FCT).

Please note that from Lake Chad to Benin Republic is more than 1,600 kilometres, only God can effectively guard the borders. So you need a person who has the energy and the competence to supervise. I deliberately closed the borders because knowing Nigerians, they order rice, give some to Niger and the rest, and then they bring the rice here,” he said.

“With our potential, we have people, we have land, and weather – how many nations are as lucky as Nigeria in the world, very few nations.

“So closing that border, 1,600 kilometres, Nigerians insist they eat boiled rice – you eat what you grow or you die. I tried to make my point and later Nigerians appreciated it.”

Buhari said he nominated Hameed Ali as comptroller-general of the Nigeria Customs Service (NCS) because of his experience and competence.

The president said the late Sani Abacha, a former military head of state, gave Ali “problematic” tasks to accomplish.

“As for Hameed Ali, I asked him to be in charge of customs. No matter what people say about the late Sani Abacha, may his soul rest in peace,” he said.

“I knew him very well, when somehow he became president of this country, head of state, the biggest problematic area was around Kaduna. He picked Colonel Hameed Ali and dumped the problems on him. My decision for Hameed Ali to come to customs was a deliberate one.

“[I brought] Colonel Hameed Ali to ensure that I have peace of mind.”

On his part, Ali said the increase in the salaries of customs personnel has made them less susceptible to corruption.

“We must mention the game-changing intervention of Mr President to rid the NCS of corruption and put it on a path of integrity,” the comptroller-general said.

“The 100 percent increase in the remuneration for officers and men of the service decisively made them less susceptible to corruption.”

https://www.thecable.ng/buhari-i-deliberately-closed-land-borders-nigerians-later-appreciated-it/amp

8 Likes 1 Share

Re: My Decision To Close Land Borders Was Appreciated By Nigerians — Buhari by duro4chang(m): 1:35pm On May 23, 2023
I am not in support of that policy at all. I hope Tinubu will reverse it.

167 Likes 12 Shares

Re: My Decision To Close Land Borders Was Appreciated By Nigerians — Buhari by Grit2943(m): 1:37pm On May 23, 2023
duro4chang:
I am not in support of that policy at all. I hope Tinubu will reverse it.
It should be reversed on May 30th 2023.

98 Likes 10 Shares

Re: My Decision To Close Land Borders Was Appreciated By Nigerians — Buhari by Warl0ck: 1:38pm On May 23, 2023
The old thief, Pablo EscoBATstard, can never rule nigeria.

59 Likes 6 Shares

Re: My Decision To Close Land Borders Was Appreciated By Nigerians — Buhari by Agbadocassava: 1:40pm On May 23, 2023
Tinubu will right whatever was wronged with Buhari administration.

46 Likes 4 Shares

Re: My Decision To Close Land Borders Was Appreciated By Nigerians — Buhari by LordGuru1: 1:40pm On May 23, 2023
shocked BREAKING!!! President Biden said on Tinubu's Inauguration: https://www.nairaland.com/7699823/breaking-tinubu-inauguration-biden-announces#123316461

7 Likes 2 Shares

Re: My Decision To Close Land Borders Was Appreciated By Nigerians — Buhari by Jennyclay(f): 1:40pm On May 23, 2023
Nonsense and ingredients

26 Likes 2 Shares

Re: My Decision To Close Land Borders Was Appreciated By Nigerians — Buhari by kestolove95(m): 1:40pm On May 23, 2023
By which Nigerians u idiOt

153 Likes 8 Shares

Re: My Decision To Close Land Borders Was Appreciated By Nigerians — Buhari by patfemy06: 1:41pm On May 23, 2023
N... O.... NO

4 Likes 1 Share

Re: My Decision To Close Land Borders Was Appreciated By Nigerians — Buhari by Nobody: 1:41pm On May 23, 2023
well done, shey you sank the economy, well done

43 Likes

Re: My Decision To Close Land Borders Was Appreciated By Nigerians — Buhari by od4life(m): 1:41pm On May 23, 2023
PMB Na who appreciate you?

19 Likes

Re: My Decision To Close Land Borders Was Appreciated By Nigerians — Buhari by babamadiba(m): 1:41pm On May 23, 2023
You and those Nigerian who appreciated the decision are mad sir.

113 Likes 4 Shares

Re: My Decision To Close Land Borders Was Appreciated By Nigerians — Buhari by Diligent1(f): 1:41pm On May 23, 2023
Re: My Decision To Close Land Borders Was Appreciated By Nigerians — Buhari by Ruggedniggaone: 1:41pm On May 23, 2023
Buhari your father

29 Likes

Re: My Decision To Close Land Borders Was Appreciated By Nigerians — Buhari by DennisEche(m): 1:41pm On May 23, 2023
For the rice part, He tried because he boosted our rice production locally. Aside that, he is a failure. He killed our booming economy

46 Likes 2 Shares

Re: My Decision To Close Land Borders Was Appreciated By Nigerians — Buhari by xristos(m): 1:41pm On May 23, 2023
haaaaaaaa shocked shocked shocked shocked
how can i unread this...fifu get mind oh.

land for sale - ushafa abuja - RofO -1000sqm..legit..fcda verifiable 7m negotiable

6 Likes

Re: My Decision To Close Land Borders Was Appreciated By Nigerians — Buhari by Enemyofpeace: 1:41pm On May 23, 2023
Just go! Oloshi president!!

Please what do they call those photographs people take before wedding? Is it pre-marital affair? I want to release my pre-marital affair on the social media, but I want to be sure of what to title it.

23 Likes 1 Share

Re: My Decision To Close Land Borders Was Appreciated By Nigerians — Buhari by iammo(m): 1:41pm On May 23, 2023
grin

“So closing that border, 1,600 kilometres, Nigerians insist they eat boiled rice – you eat what you grow or you die. I tried to make my point and later Nigerians appreciated it.”

Buhari no send anybody life

108 Likes 3 Shares

Re: My Decision To Close Land Borders Was Appreciated By Nigerians — Buhari by SleekyP(m): 1:41pm On May 23, 2023
your policy sent people packing back to the village angry

17 Likes 1 Share

Re: My Decision To Close Land Borders Was Appreciated By Nigerians — Buhari by Jestin: 1:41pm On May 23, 2023
Monday is already here. Just do and get out but again , we are expecting another pro max 😢

11 Likes 2 Shares

Re: My Decision To Close Land Borders Was Appreciated By Nigerians — Buhari by bouncin04(m): 1:42pm On May 23, 2023
grin
Re: My Decision To Close Land Borders Was Appreciated By Nigerians — Buhari by Wealthoptulent(m): 1:42pm On May 23, 2023
Door kwa
Make e no bother us with his boarder closure, e no count

3 Likes

Re: My Decision To Close Land Borders Was Appreciated By Nigerians — Buhari by Lukuluku69(m): 1:42pm On May 23, 2023
Not true Bubu.

Land Border wey you open for Dangote alone? And the Major benefiaries are the Northern Rice growers and the Customs Officers at the Borders.

37 Likes 2 Shares

Re: My Decision To Close Land Borders Was Appreciated By Nigerians — Buhari by slawomir: 1:42pm On May 23, 2023
Damnnn niggar

Oga fo make you leave office

1 Like 1 Share

Re: My Decision To Close Land Borders Was Appreciated By Nigerians — Buhari by fatherjesse(m): 1:42pm On May 23, 2023
So disconnected from the people he is president over. Who are the Nigerians that appreciate a border closure that brought so much hardship, hunger and deprivation on Nigerians. Too many sycophants around Buhari who only tell him what swells his ego.
I am Yoruba through and through, one whose place of birth is not under any doubt or contention, virtually all of my school mates are still alive and would tell you where my father's house is, unlike the druggie. I am sure Buhari's government would be better than Tinubu's by miles. Hearing that the likes of Ganduje, Fashola, Buni, Yahaya Bello, etc are being considered for ministerial positions should tell you where we are headed. As I would always say, what God cannot do does not exist

13 Likes 4 Shares

Re: My Decision To Close Land Borders Was Appreciated By Nigerians — Buhari by Zimzy(m): 1:43pm On May 23, 2023
Says who?
Re: My Decision To Close Land Borders Was Appreciated By Nigerians — Buhari by SpatialKing(m): 1:43pm On May 23, 2023
Useless talk

12 Likes 1 Share

Re: My Decision To Close Land Borders Was Appreciated By Nigerians — Buhari by jerus(m): 1:43pm On May 23, 2023
Get out,
You liar.

12 Likes

Re: My Decision To Close Land Borders Was Appreciated By Nigerians — Buhari by BlackMan6969(m): 1:43pm On May 23, 2023
Which kind annoying talk be this na?
Buhari be always capping vertical.

22 Likes 3 Shares

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (Reply)

Woman Who Gave Birth At Delta PDP Rally, Gets N2m / PDP Crisis: Iyorchia Ayu Collected ₦100m, ₦1bn From A Gov – Wike Alleges / James Oche On Okada: Ado LG Of Benue State Spotted Discharging His Duties

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 31
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.