Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,143,339 members, 7,780,893 topics. Date: Friday, 29 March 2024 at 03:10 AM

Why Do Nigerians Have The Pull-Him-Down-Syndrome? - Travel - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Travel / Why Do Nigerians Have The Pull-Him-Down-Syndrome? (545 Views)

Why Do Nigerians Become Less Religious When They Travel Abroad? / What Do Nigerians Do For A Living When They Travel Abroad? / What Do Nigerians In Malaysia Do For A Living? (2) (3) (4)

(1) (Reply) (Go Down)

Why Do Nigerians Have The Pull-Him-Down-Syndrome? by Ajisebioyolaari: 10:36am On May 24, 2023
Many Nigerians were taken aback with the recent BBC interview in which Tiamiyu, a Nigerian migrant in the UK threw his countrymen under the bus by asserting that many of them who migrate to UK through study route only do so for "japa" and not because they really want to study. He further went on to say a lot of Nigerians lie on their CVs.

Suffice to say that in many developed countries of the world today, the Chinese and Indians usually top the list of migrants, yet you will never find them saying anything negative about their people or country. Instead, they set up businesses and even encourage more of their citizens to migrate for greener pastures.

Quite alright, the UK government may have made the decision to stop dependents on study visa before the interview with Tiamiyu was done, however, why will you allow yourself to be used to publicly validate or justify their decision in exchange for a short term fame/publicity. BBC couldn't find Indians, Chinese or Pakistanis who have more migrant population in the UK for an interview? You can be diplomatic enough in an interview without portraying your countrymen in a bad light. Now, despite the fact that many nationals are involved in this act, most news headline reads "Nigerians face ban......".

That said, I have noticed in several circles that whenever a lot of Nigerians benefit from something, they tend to want to destroy the ladder and prevent other people from benefitting. Is this a Nigerian thing or an African mentality?

Recently, I saw an argument on the Canadian Express Entry thread here on Nairaland where some Nigerian immigrants who are already permanent residents in Canada were advocating for the Canadian government to halt the same immigration programmes they benefitted from. According to them, the housing crisis is getting worse due to the influx of migrants. As though they know better than the Canadian government who decided to invite immigrants in thousands.

The million dollar question therefore is, if the first set of people who migrated had the same mindset, how many of these selfish narcissistic Nigerians, many of whom migrated as late as 2021 and 2022 would have had the opportunity of seeking greener pastures abroad?

A lot of Nigerians in diaspora are attesting to the fact that a lot of Nigerians do not like to offer help to fellow citizens abroad, instead other foreigners are prone to be nicer to new Nigerian immigrants.

Personally, I am not surprised. Domestically, we display these traits. Even within nuclear family circles, one person will succeed in a business or migration but will refuse to offer any help to his/her siblings to follow same ladder to success.

You will find them across various social media platforms telling you about how life abroad is hard and discouraging others from testing the waters, but they have refused to come back home and leave the so-called hardship over there. Lol

Please share your opinions. Thanks!

Re: Why Do Nigerians Have The Pull-Him-Down-Syndrome? by Ajisebioyolaari: 10:38am On May 24, 2023
There are too many testimonies on twitter and Instagram that I cannot screenshot.

Re: Why Do Nigerians Have The Pull-Him-Down-Syndrome? by Ever8090: 10:40am On May 24, 2023
Nigerians no just get sense....

They left their resources in the hands of few politicians to enjoy while to go about disturbing other countries..

Why not come back home and start killing politicians in their numbers on daily basis so that anyone that takes over from the dead one will know what killed his predecessor and act differently
Re: Why Do Nigerians Have The Pull-Him-Down-Syndrome? by Modifire(m): 10:46am On May 24, 2023
The reason for their fkn mentality is quiet obvious- they're simply following the footsteps of their useless parents who never wants the success of anyone else safe themselves

1 Like

Re: Why Do Nigerians Have The Pull-Him-Down-Syndrome? by LeoDeKing: 10:49am On May 24, 2023
Who are the Nigerians?

Or you mean "dem"?
Re: Why Do Nigerians Have The Pull-Him-Down-Syndrome? by Natbrowny: 10:51am On May 24, 2023
Nigerian. Aside nationality. We suppose get another definition
Re: Why Do Nigerians Have The Pull-Him-Down-Syndrome? by ednut1(m): 10:51am On May 24, 2023
Although this is true sometimes its not the case for majority. The Nigerians in the USA and Canada usually help fellow Nigerians with job info, referrals and other help.

There are also some people who have helped others that got burnt too. There are cases of people helping others to get jobs in a company and the person tried to get them sacked or stabbed them at the back. There are people who housed new immigrants and the person used their address for yahoo( receiving stolen good or credit cards). I know one personally where a guy housed someone, 3 months later baba still never get job. The host was like you may have to start with hustle job which the guy considered an insult. Host was like I started with those jobs . So you want to be consuming my electricity, gas, water etc while refusing to work. Some of these so called people we are tagging wicked people are simply reacting to past experiences o.

1 Like

Re: Why Do Nigerians Have The Pull-Him-Down-Syndrome? by Ajisebioyolaari: 10:57am On May 24, 2023
ednut1:
Although this is true sometimes its not the case for majority. The Nigerians in the USA and Canada usually help fellow Nigerians with job info, referrals and other help.

There are also some people who have helped others that got burnt too. There are cases of people helping others to get jobs in a company and the person tried to get them sacked or stabbed them at the back. There are people who housed new immigrants and the person used their address for yahoo( receiving stolen good or credit cards). I know one personally where a guy housed someone, 3 months later baba still never get job. The host was like you may have to start with hustle job which the guy considered an insult. Host was like I started with those jobs . So you want to be consuming by electricity, gas, water etc while refusing to work. Some of these so called people we are tagging wicked people are simply reacting to past experiences o.
Thank you Oga Ednut. I know there are good Nigerians abroad who are ever willing to help. The time and information you avail others on the Canadian EE thread is an attestation to this fact. However, your response also buttresses part of what I said. Why will you help a Nigerian abroad and the only way they deem it fit to repay you is by engaging in acts that will put you in trouble? Isn't that part of the pull-him-down-syndrome I am talking about?

2 Likes

Re: Why Do Nigerians Have The Pull-Him-Down-Syndrome? by Atk1nson(m): 11:26am On May 24, 2023
Our culture is one that promotes people being flashy, so many Nigerians don't know how to maintain decorum. Tamiyu was just the unfortunate one to display his own on the largest network in the UK, giving others a bad reputation but I don't think we are inherently bad people. Nigerians are a very helpful lot if you are being reasonable too.

Indians & Chinese travel in greater numbers but don't make so much noise. Indias in particular not only migrate the immediate family, most migrate also their extended family. Nigerians are learning where they are but they are quiet about such things.

1 Like

Re: Why Do Nigerians Have The Pull-Him-Down-Syndrome? by Treadway: 11:35am On May 24, 2023
Most of you are still not seeing the real issue and fixing culpability where culpability is. This guy is just one idiot out of many. Don't we have many here on nairaland telling you to sell a kidney or even your mother just to japa cos it is worth it. When we talked about the mindless herd mentality it was called 'hating'. The idiot voiced his real motivation and the motivation of most people using the study route to a white man. Cos that is where his freaking mind and psyche is..that is what his so called content is. As a man thinks, so he is. Give the mic to several guys here, sooo many monikers come to mind, and aswear they will blab worse. That is the problem. The fascination they have with these countries has made most cuckoo and not think clearly.

Like someone pointed out, his interview had nothing to do with the plans to curtail dependents, that was already in the pipeline for over a year. But be rest assured it will have something to do with further measures that will come in....and I dare say some of those measures will be with specific recourse to Nigerian applicants. Just wait and see.

Travel and just be a normal human being....iro o. They go dey do like caveman wey never see electricity before and lose their good senses. The interview was not intended to block others, it was just a glaring display of his shameful and bleeped up state of mind. Shameful, shameful. The Indians wey get all manner of crazy diseases, and give birth to all manner of abominations, they don't talk or think so lowly of themselves as a people. I can't even picture an Indian (as poor as India is) talking that way. That is the difference in mindset on display. Shioor!

Hate your country, no problem. Even me sef, I hate the country as it is, but at least package yourself as better person, not a numbskull and cavemen that has not seen chandelier before

3 Likes

Re: Why Do Nigerians Have The Pull-Him-Down-Syndrome? by Ajisebioyolaari: 11:59am On May 24, 2023
Treadway:
Most of you are still not seeing the real issue and fixing culpability where culpability is. This guy is just one idiot out of many. Don't we have many here on nairaland telling you to sell a kidney or even your mother just to japa cos it is worth it. When we talked about the mindless herd mentality it was called 'hating'. The idiot voiced his real motivation and the motivation of most people using the study route to a white man. Cos that is where his freaking mind and psyche is..that is what his so called content is. As a man thinks, so he is. Give the mic to several guys here, sooo many monikers come to mind, and aswear they will blab worse. That is the problem. The fascination they have with these countries has made most cuckoo and not think clearly.

Like someone pointed out, his interview had nothing to do with the plans to curtail dependents, that was already in the pipeline for over a year. But be rest assured it will have something to do with further measures that will come in....and I dare say some of those measures will be with specific recourse to Nigerian applicants. Just wait and see.

Travel and just be a normal human being....iro o. They go dey do like caveman wey never see electricity before and lose their good senses. The interview was not intended to block others, it was just a glaring display of his shameful and bleeped up state of mind. Shameful, shameful. The Indians wey get all manner of crazy diseases, and give birth to all manner of abominations, they don't talk or think so lowly of themselves as a people. I can't even picture an Indian (as poor as India is) talking that way. That is the difference in mindset on display. Shioor!
I cannot help but agree with you. Even though quite harsh, your points are clear. It's really sad

1 Like

Re: Why Do Nigerians Have The Pull-Him-Down-Syndrome? by Treadway: 12:01pm On May 24, 2023
Ajisebioyolaari:
I cannot help but agree with you. Even though quite harsh, your points are clear. It's really sad
as in.

Naija is shitty no doubt. Infact hate your country, no problem. Even me sef, I hate the country as it is, but at least package yourself as better person, not a numbskull and cavemen that has not seen chandelier before.
Re: Why Do Nigerians Have The Pull-Him-Down-Syndrome? by Ajisebioyolaari: 12:02pm On May 24, 2023
Treadway:
as in.

Naija is shitty no doubt. Intact hate your country, no problem. Even me sef, I hate the country as it is, but at least package yourself as better person, not a numbskull and cavemen that has not seen chandelier before.
grin grin Then these YouTube bloggers contribute too. How I landed in Canada, how to make semo in UK

1 Like

Re: Why Do Nigerians Have The Pull-Him-Down-Syndrome? by Treadway: 12:10pm On May 24, 2023
Ajisebioyolaari:
grin grin Then these YouTube bloggers contribute too. How I landed in Canada, how to make semo in UK
see the penking guy that made the tweet. Take a second look at that tweet and tell me if this penking gangan himself is given a microphone he will not say even worse. Just look at the choice of words he used, and tell me that he sef no be weree pass Tiamiyu sef. It is well.

Re: Why Do Nigerians Have The Pull-Him-Down-Syndrome? by ednut1(m): 12:21pm On May 24, 2023
Treadway:
see the penking guy that made the tweet. Take a second look at that tweet and tell me if this penking gangan himself is given a microphone he will not say even worse. Just look at the choice of words he used, and tell me that he sef no be weree pass Tiamiyu sef. It is well.
”yoruba man from Osun state”. Just look at blatant tribalism. The decision to ban dependents had already been decided before this interview. This influencing / content creation craze dey make people do stupid things

2 Likes

Re: Why Do Nigerians Have The Pull-Him-Down-Syndrome? by Ajisebioyolaari: 1:23pm On May 24, 2023
Treadway:
Honestly, I see what you mean. We get issues....
Re: Why Do Nigerians Have The Pull-Him-Down-Syndrome? by ChybuzzDD(m): 1:55pm On May 24, 2023
LeoDeKing:
Who are the Nigerians?

Or you mean "dem"?

Must you expose your innate folly in every thread/platform??

1 Like

Re: Why Do Nigerians Have The Pull-Him-Down-Syndrome? by Goodman247: 11:40pm On May 24, 2023
Atk1nson:
Our culture is one that promotes people being flashy, so many Nigerians don't know how to maintain decorum. Tamiyu was just the unfortunate one to display his own on the largest network in the UK, giving others a bad reputation but I don't think we are inherently bad people. Nigerians are a very helpful lot if you are being reasonable too.

Indians & Chinese travel in greater numbers but don't make so much noise. Indias in particular not only migrate the immediate family, most migrate also their extended family. Nigerians are learning where they are but they are quiet about such things.

Nigerians like boasting a lot

(1) (Reply)

Job Offer From China / A Nigerian Man Died In A Hotel In Philippines / Why Is Olubunmi Tunji-ojo Always Being Praised, When Reality Is Opposite?

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 48
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.