Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,150,420 members, 7,808,508 topics. Date: Thursday, 25 April 2024 at 12:47 PM

Why Do We Ignore Poor Loved Ones To Die, Then Start Contributing For Burial? - Family - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Family / Why Do We Ignore Poor Loved Ones To Die, Then Start Contributing For Burial? (14261 Views)

Hope Reunites With His Mother 7 Years After He Was Branded A Witch & Left To Die / What Amount Should A Child Be Contributing To The House? Anthony Joshua Asks / Couple Ignore Their Maid At A Restaurant, Angry Nigerians React (Photos) (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (Reply) (Go Down)

Why Do We Ignore Poor Loved Ones To Die, Then Start Contributing For Burial? by Darlingme(f): 3:17pm On May 24, 2023
This has nothing to do with entitlement mentality.

No one is an island and we all need each other to live peacefully.
So, a man died in my neighborhood and his children has forbidden their rich and wealthy uncles from contributing to the burial. Accordingly to the children, their poor father died of starvation, which they have been appealing to relatives, also his only brother who works in an oil company in PH for assistant and he has always promised to help, but never did. This uncle happens to be the first person to send an ambulance to convey the corpse to the village, and the children rejected his offer.
I don't understand. Why do we have rich family members, friends, yet we suffer poverty?
Why is it always easy for people who can save their fellow humans from death, starvation, depression always ignore them, but once he/she dies, it's easy to raise money for burial.

Even on social media, we bully, humiliate each other, push some people into depression with our words and write up, but once the person commit succid, we tend to start posting pics with lovely write ups. Condemning their suicidal action and blaming them for not voicing out?
why? Is it our environment, social way of behaving?

Have you ever experience any of this? Can you share such experience?
What's your general opinion about this?

98 Likes 6 Shares

Re: Why Do We Ignore Poor Loved Ones To Die, Then Start Contributing For Burial? by Moh247: 3:32pm On May 24, 2023

3 Likes

Re: Why Do We Ignore Poor Loved Ones To Die, Then Start Contributing For Burial? by Darlingme(f): 3:38pm On May 24, 2023
Moh247:
Nobody is obligated to help you... Not your family, friends or relatives

If you make human Investment, you will get human to pick you back up

I have a very wealthy uncle in the 80s and 90s who married a woman our grandmother opposed their marriage because several spiritualist warned strongly against it.

Due to this fact my uncle neglected his own mother and their last born who was just finishing secondary school.

My mother and Father a federal civil servants took my other uncle in and my grandma visited from time to time and we all survived on the Fed civil servants salary..

Soon after school my little uncle got a Job in a fed ministry, met a wife also working and started his life
But why? Why? Family members are to help each other. Don't you think it's the mentality of ''everyone ought to be on their own'' that has caused us too much struggles?

18 Likes

Re: Why Do We Ignore Poor Loved Ones To Die, Then Start Contributing For Burial? by Moh247: 3:39pm On May 24, 2023
Darlingme:
But why? Why? Family members are to help each other. Don't you think it's the mentality of ''everyone ought to be on their own'' that has caused us too much struggles?

No family is obligated to help you, help only who helped you... You are not God

14 Likes 1 Share

Re: Why Do We Ignore Poor Loved Ones To Die, Then Start Contributing For Burial? by travsco43: 3:57pm On May 24, 2023
It is the poor mentality of ourselves.

When family members get rich, they believe they have the means of survival and everyone should be on his/her own.

But upon death or a life threatening incident, the feel pity and try to help.

It's just the foolishness of life.

64 Likes 5 Shares

Re: Why Do We Ignore Poor Loved Ones To Die, Then Start Contributing For Burial? by Xammie001(m): 4:04pm On May 24, 2023
THEY ARE MAD NI, I TOLD ALL MY FAMILY MEMBER NOT TO CONTRIBUTE ANY MONEY FOR MY DAD'S BURIAL AND MY WEDDING BECAUSE LATER IN THE FUTURE NOW THEY WILL BE YEARNING GAS.
WHEN YOU ARE HUNGRY AND GO TO THEM THEY WON'T HELP BECAUSE THE WORLD WON'T SEE THEM BUT ANYTHING PARTY THEY WILL DO IT GRACIOUSLY BECAUSE THEY WILL HAVE PROOFS AND EVIDENCES TO SHOW THEY HELPED YOU.

120 Likes 10 Shares

Re: Why Do We Ignore Poor Loved Ones To Die, Then Start Contributing For Burial? by Exmilitant(m): 4:19pm On May 24, 2023
Depends on the poor relatives.

I have an older cousin who sold lot of lands,
in PH in those days when land selling was the thing among Ikwerre men.

did you know that this man is still a pauper? he has four children and none of them could scale through the university!

would you help such a man? a man who sold more than 25 plots of land including that of his widowed sister and consumed the money without a thought about his future?

whenever he dies we will contribute money for a befitting burial and if his children disagrees they can fu..ck off!!

85 Likes 1 Share

Re: Why Do We Ignore Poor Loved Ones To Die, Then Start Contributing For Burial? by CLATHRIN: 4:35pm On May 24, 2023
Moh247:
Nobody is obligated to help you... Not your family, friends or relatives

If you make human Investment, you will get human to pick you back up

I have a very wealthy uncle in the 80s and 90s who married a woman our grandmother opposed their marriage because several spiritualist warned strongly against it.

Due to this fact my uncle neglected his own mother and their last born who was just finishing secondary school.

My mother and Father who are Federal civil servants took my other uncle in and my grandma visited from time to time and we all survived on the Fed civil servants salary..

Soon after school my little uncle got a Job in a fed ministry, met a wife also working and started his life

Many years down the line,

My grand ma is dead

My parents had retired, frequently traveling to UK to visit my sisters

My young uncle is also very ok with his family, career and busy business

Unfuntunately for my Wealthy uncle, he had an accident which gave him spinal cord injury which was mis manged and caused stroke

His wife had tried her best sold everything and simply moved out to her own house, while his grown kids are battling post NYSC unemployment issues

He stays alone with an helper who comes from time to time

*My parents now have grandkids in many places they travel mostly and am their only available kid in Nigeria managing business

*My younger Uncle is at the peak of his career and his kids are schooling, he doesn't have time, he can only send some money when he can

Now this same Uncle tells people on the phone that he was abandoned, and we should take him in or hire his caregiver and pay

Is this long story really necessary? Sometimes you should take it easy with life. The OP is just talking about how we apply our priorities. If you have to help people, why give help when it's not really very effective i.e why help to bury someone when you could have helped them with their medical bills or with food to eat and perhaps survive?

In this case, you have chosen to assist, it's no longer about entitlement, it's about motive and intention.

68 Likes 2 Shares

Re: Why Do We Ignore Poor Loved Ones To Die, Then Start Contributing For Burial? by CLATHRIN: 4:41pm On May 24, 2023
Darlingme:

So, a man died in my neighborhood and his children has forbidden their rich and wealthy uncles from contributing to the burial. Accordingly to the children, their poor father died of starvation, which they have been appealing to relatives, also his only brother who works in an oil company in PH for assistant and he has always promised to help, but never did. This uncle happens to be the first person to send an ambulance to convey the corpse to the village, and the children rejected his offer.
I don't understand. Why do we have rich family members, friends, yet we suffer poverty?
Why is it always easy for people who can save their fellow humans from death, starvation, depression always ignore them, but once he/she dies, it's easy to raise money for burial.

Even on social media, we bully, humiliate each other, push some people into depression with our words and write up, but once the person commit succid, we tend to start posting pics with lovely write ups. Condemning their suicidal action and blaming them for not voicing out?

If we claim to love God, we must love each other and help one another. Whoever claims he/she has no obligation to help others does not love God or has no portion in Christ Jesus.

If you or anyone reading this is a Christian, it is a spiritual and necessary obligation to help others. The bible has made this so clear. If I can help you by giving you food when you are hungry but I don't do that or I just wish you well and proclaim that God will take care of you, then I am a fraud. Do you know that in the early church, the bible says that the early christians were carrying each other's burden to the point that "no one had any need that wasn't met"

There's no point rehashing banal platitudes such as the claim that "no one has an obligation to help you"
I have the obligation to help you and that is because I love gGod and loving God means that I have to love you too.

56 Likes 4 Shares

Re: Why Do We Ignore Poor Loved Ones To Die, Then Start Contributing For Burial? by ZIMDRILL(m): 4:46pm On May 24, 2023
Darlingme:

Life is a bit complex, as children we usually see life from our parents point view aka they tell you their own version of events and as children we believe them as their are the first people you trust

There is a reason/s why he was neglected when he was alive, its only the dead and the other relatives that knows the truth

Having a rich relatives does t make you rich too, we have gift in making money, if you are
not gifted in making money in your gifted way, even if you are given millions you will blow as you wouldnt be gifted in also making wise decisions with money

There are lots of people who have won the lottery, but failed to manage it and end up being broke more, having rich relatives does make you rich by default

12 Likes 3 Shares

Re: Why Do We Ignore Poor Loved Ones To Die, Then Start Contributing For Burial? by Moh247: 4:49pm On May 24, 2023
CLATHRIN:

Is this long story really necessary? Sometimes you should take it easy with life. The OP is just talking about how we apply our priorities. If you have to help people, why give help when it's not really very effective i.e why help to bury someone when you could have helped them with their medical bills or with food to eat and perhaps survive?

In this case, you have chosen to assist, it's no longer about entitlement, it's about motive and intention.

Ok

Your choice
Re: Why Do We Ignore Poor Loved Ones To Die, Then Start Contributing For Burial? by ZIMDRILL(m): 5:01pm On May 24, 2023
CLATHRIN:

If we claim to love God, we must love each other and help one another. Whoever claims he/she has no obligation to help others does not love God or has no portion in Christ Jesus.

If you or anyone reading this is a Christian, it is a spiritual and necessary obligation to help others. The bible has made this so clear. If I can help you by giving you food when you are hungry but I don't do that or I just wish you well and proclaim that God will take care of you, then I am a fraud. Do you know that in the early church, the bible says that the early christians were carrying each other's burden to the point that "no one had any need that wasn't met"

There's no point rehashing banal platitudes such as the claim that "no one has an obligation to help you"
I have the obligation to help you and that is because I love gGod and loving God means that I have to love you too.

From a bible point of view i get you but reality,especially in africa christrians are even worse these days, they rash to five the papas in church in return double aka plant the seed

What i have learnt and seen in the western world, most charities are not run by churches, but a fellow human, who has seen the need to help people in different situation (humanity) In west we have more charity organisations that the churches and are doing great

With many churches in nigeria, how many charity organisations that are run by churches offer service to both its members and the public?

Some churches have universities
less than 2% are free scholar from both the church and poors families

4 Likes

Re: Why Do We Ignore Poor Loved Ones To Die, Then Start Contributing For Burial? by Darlingme(f): 7:32am On May 25, 2023
Moh247:

No family is obligated to help you, help only who helped you... You are not God
Then what are we family for?

23 Likes

Re: Why Do We Ignore Poor Loved Ones To Die, Then Start Contributing For Burial? by Darlingme(f): 7:34am On May 25, 2023
travsco43:
It is the poor mentality of ourselves.

When family members get rich, they believe they have the means of survival and everyone should be on his/her own.

But upon death or a life threatening incident, the feel pity and try to help.

It's just the foolishness of life.
My thought exactly. Someone you can't help why he/she is alive, why helping to give a befitting burial?

23 Likes 1 Share

Re: Why Do We Ignore Poor Loved Ones To Die, Then Start Contributing For Burial? by Darlingme(f): 7:36am On May 25, 2023
Xammie001:
THEY ARE MAD NI, I TOLD ALL MY FAMILY MEMBER NOT TO CONTRIBUTE ANY MONEY FOR MY DAD'S BURIAL AND MY WEDDING BECAUSE LATER IN THE FUTURE NOW THEY WILL BE YEARNING GAS.
WHEN YOU ARE HUNGRY AND GO TO THEM THEY WON'T HELP BECAUSE THE WORLD WON'T SEE THEM BUT ANYTHING PARTY THEY WILL DO IT GRACIOUSLY BECAUSE THEY WILL HAVE PROOFS AND EVIDENCES TO SHOW THEY HELPED YOU.
Too bad. Besides, those proofs and evidence can't live forever.

2 Likes 1 Share

Re: Why Do We Ignore Poor Loved Ones To Die, Then Start Contributing For Burial? by Nitoriolohun1: 7:40am On May 25, 2023
Black folks love unnecessary competition and couple with the fact that human are naturally wicked ... It is well !!!

23 Likes

Re: Why Do We Ignore Poor Loved Ones To Die, Then Start Contributing For Burial? by Darlingme(f): 7:48am On May 25, 2023
Exmilitant:

did you know that this man is still a pauper? he has four children and none of them could scale through the university!

would you help such a man? a man who sold more than 25 plots of land including that of his widowed sister and consumed the money without a thought about his future?

whenever he dies we will contribute money for a befitting burial and if his children disagrees they can fu..ck off!!
He did not plan very well at all. And the worst thing that can happen to a parent with children, is not training them in school. At least his children would have been educated and seeing life differently. Take for example, some Abuja indigent who dashed out their lands to some non indigenous people far back, some sold their lands at cheap prices and migrated to their villages, some of these people who were able to train their children in school, most of their grown up, educated children returned back to reclaimed their parents properties and saving their family from poverty.

6 Likes 1 Share

Re: Why Do We Ignore Poor Loved Ones To Die, Then Start Contributing For Burial? by Darlingme(f): 7:52am On May 25, 2023
ZIMDRILL:

Life is a bit complex, as children we usually see life from our parents point view aka they tell you their own version of events and as children we believe them as their are the first people you trust

There is a reason/s why he was neglected when he was alive, its only the dead and the other relatives that knows the truth

Having a rich relatives does t make you rich too, we have gift in making money, if you are
not gifted in making money in your gifted way, even if you are given millions you will blow as you wouldnt be gifted in also making wise decisions with money

There are lots of people who have won the lottery, but failed to manage it and end up being broke more, having rich relatives does make you rich by default
But what exactly could prevent a wealthy man who have enough food to share for people whom he knew not, but can't give the same food to his hungry only brother? What could that be?

6 Likes

Re: Why Do We Ignore Poor Loved Ones To Die, Then Start Contributing For Burial? by Xammie001(m): 8:01am On May 25, 2023
Yes they know but just want to be wicked

Darlingme:
Too bad. Besides, those proofs and evidence can't live forever.

2 Likes 1 Share

Re: Why Do We Ignore Poor Loved Ones To Die, Then Start Contributing For Burial? by ZIMDRILL(m): 8:06am On May 25, 2023
Darlingme:
But what exactly could prevent a wealthy man who have enough food to share for people whom he knew not, but can't give the same food to his hungry only brother? What could that be?

like i said life and family drama are not simple as ABCD

14 Likes

Re: Why Do We Ignore Poor Loved Ones To Die, Then Start Contributing For Burial? by ChybuzzDD(m): 11:59am On May 25, 2023
Exmilitant:

grin

3 Likes

Re: Why Do We Ignore Poor Loved Ones To Die, Then Start Contributing For Burial? by sageb: 12:08pm On May 25, 2023
Darlingme:

what a sad story

2 Likes

Re: Why Do We Ignore Poor Loved Ones To Die, Then Start Contributing For Burial? by sageb: 12:11pm On May 25, 2023
Darlingme:

Pertinent questions
The sad reality

3 Likes

Re: Why Do We Ignore Poor Loved Ones To Die, Then Start Contributing For Burial? by sageb: 12:14pm On May 25, 2023
ZIMDRILL:

From a bible point of view i get you but reality,especially in africa christrians are even worse these days, they rash to five the papas in church in return double aka plant the seed

What i have learnt and seen in the western world, most charities are not run by churches, but a fellow human, who has seen the need to help people in different situation (humanity) In west we have more charity organisations that the churches and are doing great

With many churches in nigeria, how many charity organisations that are run by churches offer service to both its members and the public?

Some churches have universities
less than 2% are free scholar from both the church and poors families

You nailed it
The sad reality

2 Likes

Re: Why Do We Ignore Poor Loved Ones To Die, Then Start Contributing For Burial? by travsco43: 12:20pm On May 25, 2023
Darlingme:
My thought exactly. Someone you can't help why he/she is alive, why helping to give a befitting burial?

Na so we see am oh.

2 Likes

Re: Why Do We Ignore Poor Loved Ones To Die, Then Start Contributing For Burial? by Nobody: 3:00pm On May 25, 2023
But why feel entitled to another person's hard earned money?

Why not go to those churches whose pastors receive plenty of offerings every Sundays? Because that money is the one that is supposed to help needy people.

2 Likes

Re: Why Do We Ignore Poor Loved Ones To Die, Then Start Contributing For Burial? by Kobojunkie: 4:44pm On May 25, 2023
Darlingme:
Even on social media, we bully, humiliate each other, push some people into depression with our words and write up, but once the person commit succid, we tend to start posting pics with lovely write ups. Condemning their suicidal action and blaming them for not voicing out? why? Is it our environment, social way of behaving? Have you ever experience any of this? Can you share such experience? What's your general opinion about this?
This is just to reveal that many of us are walking contradictions. undecided

4 Likes 1 Share

Re: Why Do We Ignore Poor Loved Ones To Die, Then Start Contributing For Burial? by Foodqueen(f): 4:48pm On May 25, 2023
That's life

3 Likes

Re: Why Do We Ignore Poor Loved Ones To Die, Then Start Contributing For Burial? by Darlingme(f): 8:31pm On May 25, 2023
Samantha124:
But why feel entitled to another person's hard earned money?

Why not go to those churches whose pastors receive plenty of offerings every Sundays? Because that money is the one that is supposed to help needy people.
Nothing like entitlement mentality.
I don't want to talk about church side at all. Every member of a church, first come from a family.

9 Likes

Re: Why Do We Ignore Poor Loved Ones To Die, Then Start Contributing For Burial? by Nobody: 8:40pm On May 25, 2023
So? What does you going to church to ask for financial assistance has to do with every member of the church coming from a family?

If you don't want to go to the church to ask for help, then keep quiet and stop expecting those who wake up every morning to go to work to give you free money just because you feel entitled to it.

Them being your family members does not mean that they'll always be there because they too have their own lives and challenges they face on a daily basis.
Darlingme:
Nothing like entitlement mentality.
I don't want to talk about church side at all. Every member of a church, first come from a family.

Re: Why Do We Ignore Poor Loved Ones To Die, Then Start Contributing For Burial? by Nemesis0147(m): 9:15pm On May 25, 2023
Competition!!
Re: Why Do We Ignore Poor Loved Ones To Die, Then Start Contributing For Burial? by Kobojunkie: 8:16pm On May 28, 2023
Darlingme:
■ Nothing like entitlement mentality. I don't want to talk about church side at all. Every member of a church, first come from a family.
Some people don't and so they look to the "church" as their one family. undecided

1 Like

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (Reply)

Who Is The Rightful Owner Of The Breast? The Husband Or The Child. / What Will You Do If Your Wife Is Secretly Building A House In Her Fathers Compou / ‘My Husband Calls Me Barren”, Woman Tells Court

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 84
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.