Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,148,425 members, 7,800,910 topics. Date: Thursday, 18 April 2024 at 08:52 AM

The Sad Lives Of Freelancers In Nigeria - Career - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Career / The Sad Lives Of Freelancers In Nigeria (17482 Views)

I Am Extremely Shy - SAD - Can I Succeed Like This / Join Freelancers In Nigeria Slack Community / Freelancers In Nigeria โ€“ Join Slack Community (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (Reply) (Go Down)

The Sad Lives Of Freelancers In Nigeria by HardMirror(m): 4:02pm On May 24, 2023
I will keep this short and no one should send me any message.

So last year I decided to revisit freelancing because I am a gifted writer and been writing for many years so why not use it to make money?

So I registered on a freelancing site and the journey began.

Making money is never the problem if you are a freelancer, the problem is how much time can you give to the job.
The job was just too much that i had to employ many nairalanders to work for me.
At a point I was earning $900 per week (i could earn much more than this but where is the time to do more work?) but the work was just too much. So much that i moved to an hotel for several months just so that i can focus and have the hotel staff attend to all my needs so I dont have to do any work except my writing job.

This is a job that would make you want to go mad. You will work mornimg and night as if you have no life. Forget social life, all you will be after is to meet deadlines.

People will think you are a yahoo boy because you dont go to an office and you are always on your laptop. They also see that you dont have problem with money. To make it worse you are always going to bank to collect dollars and take to aboki.

I shake my head when i see nigerians complaining that there is no work. There is work but most people cannot work. That is just the truth.

If you know you can make these sacrifices then you should consider freelancing so far you have the skills for the jobs you want to apply for.

71 Likes 8 Shares

Re: The Sad Lives Of Freelancers In Nigeria by pocohantasgspot: 4:07pm On May 24, 2023
I do not believe this luring piece of shiit post

35 Likes 5 Shares

Re: The Sad Lives Of Freelancers In Nigeria by AgentKB: 5:00pm On May 24, 2023
So, what value does your writeup provide other than your hope that it would be read by people who have the potential to ask you stupid questions? And that hope is clearly written in uppercase to show its the most important part of the text.

136 Likes 9 Shares

Re: The Sad Lives Of Freelancers In Nigeria by emperor4love(m): 6:52am On May 25, 2023
What ur niche and freelance platform

2 Likes

Re: The Sad Lives Of Freelancers In Nigeria by Queendera(f): 11:57am On May 25, 2023
Tg
Re: The Sad Lives Of Freelancers In Nigeria by olahero(m): 11:58am On May 25, 2023
Working remotely is the best in some cases, instead of Starlink that will empty my pocket, I got connected through MTN Fibre Broadband Unlimited with less than N50k and I pay 10k monthly for 10Mbps and I lived in a quite area with adequate power supply.

I am not arrived yet but I am managing my life with remotes jobs, I am into PR, contents creation, graphic design and networking.

May God help us.

42 Likes 5 Shares

Re: The Sad Lives Of Freelancers In Nigeria by MissOpe(f): 11:58am On May 25, 2023
Be thankful that you're a skilled writer...
Some want to write but have no skills, some have writing skills but they don't even know how to earn from it...

That said, is writing a skill someone can develop or it's a natural gift to those who have it?

34 Likes 3 Shares

Re: The Sad Lives Of Freelancers In Nigeria by ify2016: 11:58am On May 25, 2023
Really
Re: The Sad Lives Of Freelancers In Nigeria by Dogalmighty17: 11:58am On May 25, 2023
You have taken all this time to say absolutely nothing! He just wants to lure people to fake jobs that don't exist.

139 Likes 13 Shares

Re: The Sad Lives Of Freelancers In Nigeria by liab: 11:59am On May 25, 2023
Re: The Sad Lives Of Freelancers In Nigeria by gabrieltemmy(m): 11:59am On May 25, 2023
Somethings are not adding up.

I think this is the opposite of the actual problem, Because I know so many freelancers who are hungry for clients yet they are good at what they do. Especially in tech and writing

71 Likes 4 Shares

Re: The Sad Lives Of Freelancers In Nigeria by TemmyT002(m): 11:59am On May 25, 2023
Upwork and Fiverr don turn something else.
They have changed their ways and it's affecting many freelancers. Add Indians and Yahoo Boys and see how it is affecting legit hustlers.
Add Buhari's wahala too.
Chai

37 Likes 2 Shares

Re: The Sad Lives Of Freelancers In Nigeria by Crafteck1: 12:00pm On May 25, 2023
So whats sad....

4 Likes

Re: The Sad Lives Of Freelancers In Nigeria by Okiton: 12:00pm On May 25, 2023
cheesy
My heartfelt empathy goes to freestuffsng

It's no easy for him at this time

7 Likes 1 Share

Re: The Sad Lives Of Freelancers In Nigeria by itzzkhaliii(m): 12:00pm On May 25, 2023
H
Re: The Sad Lives Of Freelancers In Nigeria by Maysdevices(f): 12:01pm On May 25, 2023
Will he advertise a course or will he ask for some cash in other to give you information about how he makes such money freelancing in Nigeria?

Iโ€™m patiently waiting to see which.

62 Likes 7 Shares

Re: The Sad Lives Of Freelancers In Nigeria by Mindlog: 12:01pm On May 25, 2023
What is sad about it?
Re: The Sad Lives Of Freelancers In Nigeria by dalass(f): 12:01pm On May 25, 2023
Well,

Freelancing gives you the opportunity to work anytime and whenever you want. You can tell clients you are not available so you don't kill yourself. But money no go allow una rest ๐Ÿ˜Š

I disagree that it's a sad life. Life is only sad if you do not set boundaries. Take time off now and then to enjoy the ๐Ÿ’ฐ a bit. Go to few owambe parties to unwind. Call friends or chat with them. Laugh away the stress. Your brain is refreshed, then you continue

Cheers pal grin

21 Likes 1 Share

Re: The Sad Lives Of Freelancers In Nigeria by Nobody: 12:01pm On May 25, 2023
Can you put me through please. 08020695847 thats my WhatsApp Number
Re: The Sad Lives Of Freelancers In Nigeria by Creeza(m): 12:01pm On May 25, 2023
In other words.... " send me message so I can exploit you and sell you a pdf on " How to waste your time trying to make money from Freelancing "

70 Likes 1 Share

Re: The Sad Lives Of Freelancers In Nigeria by sonature1: 12:02pm On May 25, 2023
Freelancing is very competitive now.

12 Likes 2 Shares

Re: The Sad Lives Of Freelancers In Nigeria by dmostcheerful(f): 12:03pm On May 25, 2023
With how pointless your write up is, I doubt you are truly a writer.

51 Likes 5 Shares

Re: The Sad Lives Of Freelancers In Nigeria by JudeAfoo(m): 12:03pm On May 25, 2023
Drop me at the next bus stop please

4 Likes

Re: The Sad Lives Of Freelancers In Nigeria by Kingzeez10: 12:03pm On May 25, 2023
Another thread to lure potential clients. It's called bombing in yahoo term. If you know you know

57 Likes 3 Shares

Re: The Sad Lives Of Freelancers In Nigeria by Pufpuf(m): 12:04pm On May 25, 2023
Hello sir/ma,
I'm a very good writer and I will appreciate if you can help me with works.
I'm a medical doctor with postgraduate training in Public Health, however, I enjoy writing and research.
Kindly help me with writing and or research works.
08038642174, deledkingdomcitizen@gmail.com

1 Like

Re: The Sad Lives Of Freelancers In Nigeria by Vicmareal: 12:05pm On May 25, 2023
Could u recommend the site so I can join, I am a prolific writer too.
Congratulations bro!
Re: The Sad Lives Of Freelancers In Nigeria by qtguru(m): 12:05pm On May 25, 2023
HardMirror:
I will keep this short and no one should send me any message.

So last year I decided to revisit freelancing because I am a gifted writer and been writing for many years so why not use it to make money?

So I registered on a freelancing site and the journey began.

Making money is never the problem if you are a freelancer, the problem is how much time can you give to the job.
The job was just too much that i had to employ many nairalanders to work for me.
At a point I was earning $900 per week (i could earn much more than this but where is the time to do more work?) but the work was just too much. So much that i moved to an hotel for several months just so that i can focus and have the hotel staff attend to all my needs so I dont have to do any work except my writing job.

This is a job that would make you want to go mad. You will work mornimg and night as if you have no life. Forget social life, all you will be after is to meet deadlines.

People will think you are a yahoo boy because you dont go to an office and you are always on your laptop. They also see that you dont have problem with money. To make it worse you are always going to bank to collect dollars and take to aboki.

I shake my head when i see nigerians complaining that there is no work. There is work but most people cannot work. That is just the truth.

If you know you can make these sacrifices then you should consider freelancing so far you have the skills for the jobs you want to apply for.

That's how I feel, I can't complain because of the mo ey, but you're working 24/7, even at the gym, I have to carry laptop and modem. Luckily I employed an intern from Nairaland and we've been working and sharing the profit.

But I've never really worked outside the house, does it work for you ?

6 Likes 1 Share

Re: The Sad Lives Of Freelancers In Nigeria by funsho75(m): 12:06pm On May 25, 2023
Lol
Re: The Sad Lives Of Freelancers In Nigeria by UYEMDO35(m): 12:06pm On May 25, 2023
I really have passion for dis freelancer of a thing, how I wish someone could put me through, i will be very grateful... I'm a skillful writer.

3 Likes

Re: The Sad Lives Of Freelancers In Nigeria by MrBroke(m): 12:07pm On May 25, 2023
Bait talk. Go and enjoy your so called dollars and stop trying to act broke mr Op, abi you broke?cause na only broke people dey talk rubbish talk about money with no meaning.

22 Likes

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (Reply)

15,049 Nigerian Nurses Move To UK In Five Years / 5 Tips To Build Your Confidence / Donโ€™t Be Stupid And Avoid These Career Killer Mistakes

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 30
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.