Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,143,424 members, 7,781,232 topics. Date: Friday, 29 March 2024 at 11:02 AM

The Sad Lives Of Freelancers In Nigeria - Career (3) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Career / The Sad Lives Of Freelancers In Nigeria (17331 Views)

I Am Extremely Shy - SAD - Can I Succeed Like This / Join Freelancers In Nigeria Slack Community / Freelancers In Nigeria – Join Slack Community (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: The Sad Lives Of Freelancers In Nigeria by SmartyPants(m): 12:53pm On May 25, 2023
HardMirror:
I will keep this short and no one should send me any message.

So last year I decided to revisit freelancing because I am a gifted writer and been writing for many years so why not use it to make money?

So I registered on a freelancing site and the journey began.

Making money is never the problem if you are a freelancer, the problem is how much time can you give to the job.
The job was just too much that i had to employ many nairalanders to work for me.
At a point I was earning $900 per week (i could earn much more than this but where is the time to do more work?) but the work was just too much. So much that i moved to an hotel for several months just so that i can focus and have the hotel staff attend to all my needs so I dont have to do any work except my writing job.

This is a job that would make you want to go mad. You will work mornimg and night as if you have no life. Forget social life, all you will be after is to meet deadlines.

People will think you are a yahoo boy because you dont go to an office and you are always on your laptop. They also see that you dont have problem with money. To make it worse you are always going to bank to collect dollars and take to aboki.

I shake my head when i see nigerians complaining that there is no work. There is work but most people cannot work. That is just the truth.

If you know you can make these sacrifices then you should consider freelancing so far you have the skills for the jobs you want to apply for.

Still waiting for the sad part.

13 Likes 3 Shares

Re: The Sad Lives Of Freelancers In Nigeria by DrMaths(m): 12:54pm On May 25, 2023
olahero:
Working remotely is the best in some cases, instead of Starlink that will empty my pocket, I got connected through MTN Fibre Broadband Unlimited with less than N50k and I pay 10k monthly for 10Mbps and I lived in a quite area with adequate power supply.

I am not arrived yet but I am managing my life with remotes jobs, I am into PR, contents creation, graphic design and networking.

May God help us.
Hello boss
Please respond to your email or better still chat with me on WhatsApp zero 8 one 31 nine 7 two two 00
Re: The Sad Lives Of Freelancers In Nigeria by maxiart2(m): 12:58pm On May 25, 2023
You absolutely didn't say anything.
Why complaining that the workload is too much? Is the money paid to you not too much as well? $900 in a week. Who dey pay you that one?

If at all you do get up to that amount in a week from your so freelancing work, why not reduce the number of jobs you collect and focus on a few. Like if have been collecting four jobs, reduce it to two; you will have time for yourself and other things. Earning half of the $900 in a week is not bad.

Na greed dey cause am sha.

7 Likes

Re: The Sad Lives Of Freelancers In Nigeria by alimiadedayo1: 12:59pm On May 25, 2023
qtguru:

That's how I feel, I can't complain because of the mo ey, but you're working 24/7, even at the gym, I have to carry laptop and modem. Luckily I employed an intern from Nairaland and we've been working and sharing the profit.

But I've never really worked outside the house, does it work for you ?
what do u do?
Re: The Sad Lives Of Freelancers In Nigeria by jerk: 1:03pm On May 25, 2023
Forget about freelance writing, the job has casted now. Look for another freelance job and check if it will be affected by the current AI programs that makes jobs easy now.
Better look for your own job and take the advantage of AI to create your own job or niche, the era of freelance is coming to and end and only few might remain.

7 Likes 1 Share

Re: The Sad Lives Of Freelancers In Nigeria by vankaid: 1:09pm On May 25, 2023
Ole ni e!
Re: The Sad Lives Of Freelancers In Nigeria by kelvindj98: 1:11pm On May 25, 2023
This is clearly a bait post with intention to sell or scam. How nairaland moderators don't have the foresight to see it is quite sad.

3 Likes 1 Share

Re: The Sad Lives Of Freelancers In Nigeria by HardMirror(m): 1:22pm On May 25, 2023
Let me state this very very clearly here.

1. IF YOU CONTACT ME AND I REPLY, PLS COME HERE AND EXPOSE ME.

2. IF ANYONE CONTACTS YOU MAKE SURE YOU COME HERE AND EXPOSE THEM.

3. IF YOU ARE STUPID ENOUGH NOT TO SEE THE HINT I GAVE YOU ON WHAT YOU SHOULD DO THEN YOU ARE TOO STUPID TO BE A FREELANCER AND THAT IS WHY YOU CAN NEVER MAKE IT.

I HAVE SAID GOOGLE AND CHATGPT WILL TELL YOU ALL YOU NEED TO KNOW. IF YOU ARE HARDWORKING THERE ARE MORE THAN ENOUGH JOBS. GO AND REGISTER ON UPWORK OR FIVER IF YOU HAVE ANY QUESTION ASK CHATGPT IT WILL GIVE YOU ALL THE INFO YOU NEED.

AGAIN IF I EVER RESPOND TO YOUR DM COME HERE AND EXPOSE ME.

I wish the smart ones all the best. Leave the rest to be complaining

10 Likes 1 Share

Re: The Sad Lives Of Freelancers In Nigeria by pocohantas(f): 1:28pm On May 25, 2023
SmartyPants:

Still waiting for the sad part.

Shift for me...

3 Likes

Re: The Sad Lives Of Freelancers In Nigeria by pocohantas(f): 1:31pm On May 25, 2023
qtguru:

Upwork works, but it's alot of effort and spending on connects. I get gigs on Upwork, but for non tech people, the secret is upskilling in a niche. Unless you want to compete with general audience.

They come in with below basic skills and want to earn dollar/pounds. A friend kept telling me she can do what I do. Is it not Excel, is not business analysis. A partner had a vacancy and I sent it to her. She read the requirements and developed headache. I tried hard to ginger her to apply, she didn't. She done see Excel run.

8 Likes 2 Shares

Re: The Sad Lives Of Freelancers In Nigeria by aderemi457(m): 1:31pm On May 25, 2023
Please, I need assistance on how to get paid in USD.
I am a freelancer into translation/transcription (started some months back).

I was using Payday before now but I have been having trouble getting paid since Payday changed d collaborating bank or smth.
My client is holding my money currently.
Re: The Sad Lives Of Freelancers In Nigeria by Bonnielove: 1:35pm On May 25, 2023
HardMirror:

So last year I decided to revisit freelancing because I am a gifted writer and been writing for many years so why not use it to make money?

Making money is never the problem if you are a freelancer, the problem is how much time can you give to the job.
The job was just too much that i had to employ many nairalanders to work for me.
At a point I was earning $900 per week (i could earn much more than this but where is the time to do more work?) but the work was just too much. So much that i moved to an hotel for several months just so that i can focus and have the hotel staff attend to all my needs so I dont have to do any work except my writing job.

This is a job that would make you want to go mad. You will work mornimg and night as if you have no life. Forget social life, all you will be after is to meet deadlines.

People will think you are a yahoo boy because you dont go to an office and you are always on your laptop. They also see that you dont have problem with money. To make it worse you are always going to bank to collect dollars and take to aboki.

I shake my head when i see nigerians complaining that there is no work. There is work but most people cannot work. That is just the truth.

If you know you can make these sacrifices then you should consider freelancing so far you have the skills for the jobs you want to apply for.

Can you put me through?
I’ll pay for a connect I swear
I can write in all niches including poetry and I can’t find a job.
I can pay a fee if you want.
Let’s discuss on WhatsApp please can I drop my number?

2 Likes

Re: The Sad Lives Of Freelancers In Nigeria by Snowx: 1:35pm On May 25, 2023
UYEMDO35:
I really have passion for dis freelancer of a thing, how I wish someone could put me through, i will be very grateful... I'm a skillful writer.

Search for ekwutosinam Ada Nsukka, she wld put you through..follow her post and do the needful

2 Likes

Re: The Sad Lives Of Freelancers In Nigeria by Snowx: 1:37pm On May 25, 2023
I am a data analyst I can manage your data with Ms excel effectively with powerBi.

Connect me abeg I got laptop
Re: The Sad Lives Of Freelancers In Nigeria by Bonnielove: 1:38pm On May 25, 2023
qtguru:

That's how I feel, I can't complain because of the mo ey, but you're working 24/7, even at the gym, I have to carry laptop and modem. Luckily I employed an intern from Nairaland and we've been working and sharing the profit.

But I've never really worked outside the house, does it work for you ?

Do you need another intern?
I’m ready to work.
I’m very diligent and attentive.

1 Like

Re: The Sad Lives Of Freelancers In Nigeria by qtguru(m): 1:39pm On May 25, 2023
alimiadedayo1:

what do u do?

I build Chrome extension and write code for clients
Re: The Sad Lives Of Freelancers In Nigeria by Kaycee54321(m): 1:44pm On May 25, 2023
pocohantasgspot:
sad

Your moniker reminds me of the f.uckery one gets to deal with as a regular visitor of Nairaland.

2 Likes

Re: The Sad Lives Of Freelancers In Nigeria by HopeGying: 1:44pm On May 25, 2023
E pain am well well for being exposed. Mugu🤣🤣🤣

HardMirror:
Let me state this very very clearly here.

1. IF YOU CONTACT ME AND I REPLY, PLS COME HERE AND EXPOSE ME.

2. IF ANYONE CONTACTS YOU MAKE SURE YOU COME HERE AND EXPOSE THEM.

3. IF YOU ARE STUPID ENOUGH NOT TO SEE THE HINT I GAVE YOU ON WHAT YOU SHOULD DO THEN YOU ARE TOO STUPID TO BE A FREELANCER AND THAT IS WHY YOU CAN NEVER MAKE IT.

I HAVE SAID GOOGLE AND CHATGPT WILL TELL YOU ALL YOU NEED TO KNOW. IF YOU ARE HARDWORKING THERE ARE MORE THAN ENOUGH JOBS. GO AND REGISTER ON UPWORK OR FIVER IF YOU HAVE ANY QUESTION ASK CHATGPT IT WILL GIVE YOU ALL THE INFO YOU NEED.

AGAIN IF I EVER RESPOND TO YOUR DM COME HERE AND EXPOSE ME.

I wish the smart ones all the best. Leave the rest to be complaining

2 Likes

Re: The Sad Lives Of Freelancers In Nigeria by finallybusy: 1:48pm On May 25, 2023
Pointless write-up.

2 Likes

Re: The Sad Lives Of Freelancers In Nigeria by Marshalltown001(m): 1:50pm On May 25, 2023
HardMirror:

Where are you located if necessary for meeting…..I wish to work with you……WhatsApp 08100044436
Mail…..abibdamilare@gmail.com
Re: The Sad Lives Of Freelancers In Nigeria by headboyprince(m): 1:51pm On May 25, 2023
Jeffyblaq:
When it's bad at home, it's actually worse out there..

Imagine a lady I just met online,with lovely commentary she gat for me.. Like dude I like u already..u cool👌

Where are you from? For the first time I sounded truthful to a lady, I told her dat I'm a Nigerian.

Oops.. So Sorry handsome I'm gonna block you. 😔

Like WTF 😡

THE HATRED FOR THIS CONTRAPTION IS DAMN TOO DEEP☹️
You cant blame them, the scam in Nigeria is too much.. politicians scamming citizens, citizens scamming each other. and to make matters worse, Nigerians like to claim they're smart because they usually scam white people... when did scamming equate to smartness...
So every Nigeria is a potential scammer until proven otherwise.. she doesn't want to take chances..

1 Like 1 Share

Re: The Sad Lives Of Freelancers In Nigeria by smartasuen(m): 1:55pm On May 25, 2023
Pls can you enighten me on how to secure gigs, abeg!!!!!!
I'm a very good writer but securing gigs has been the challenge.

Or better still, add me to your team of hired writers. God bless you.
Re: The Sad Lives Of Freelancers In Nigeria by UYEMDO35(m): 1:56pm On May 25, 2023
Snowx:

Search for ekwutosinam Ada Nsukka, she wld put you through..follow her post and do the needful
Thank you, sir.
Re: The Sad Lives Of Freelancers In Nigeria by pocohantasgspot: 1:57pm On May 25, 2023
Kaycee54321:

Your moniker reminds me of the f.uckery one gets to deal with as a regular visitor of Nairaland.
cheesy no mind dem Nairaland imps

2 Likes

Re: The Sad Lives Of Freelancers In Nigeria by dataking: 1:59pm On May 25, 2023
If you can work on no-code websites. Chat with me on whatsapp 08033sixone748nine
Re: The Sad Lives Of Freelancers In Nigeria by Starlino: 2:05pm On May 25, 2023
What platform do you use?
Re: The Sad Lives Of Freelancers In Nigeria by qtx(m): 2:05pm On May 25, 2023
HardMirror:

I can concur with what you said, but its when you have a lot of offers after giving solid value to a couple of customers which shows through your 5 star reviews. Infact, i spent sleepless nights at somepoint that i almost started regreting the freelancing thing as well. Yes the dollars may be coming in but your life will be a bit miserable bc you wont have time to rest or even flex. Which aspct of writing are you into? copywriting, technical writing, just blog/articles wirting or? Besides, i thought you were sharing some tips that will guide readers of your post to socceed in case they want to go into this also?

1 Like

Re: The Sad Lives Of Freelancers In Nigeria by ugwum007(m): 2:07pm On May 25, 2023
Mr. OP, just tell us what you are selling and stop hopping like Tinubu.

2 Likes

Re: The Sad Lives Of Freelancers In Nigeria by tonytony208(m): 2:10pm On May 25, 2023
Okiton:
cheesy
My heartfelt empathy goes to freestuffsng

It's no easy for him at this time

What happened to him
Re: The Sad Lives Of Freelancers In Nigeria by Robertgreene1(m): 2:15pm On May 25, 2023
Lol...oga av u seen d YouTube channel promoter u were looking for before?
No be only $900 per week na $9k per week..
Cus na you dey write speeches for Trump himself... even bubu's speech writer no dey see dat kind pay sef..
Oga just tell us d truth that u want people to contact you..so u can tell them to subscribe to ur YouTube channel videos.."on how to make money effortlessly online, using only a phone"
But ur reverse psychology skills na top notch oo...l give u dat one...infact you are an Associate Professor of Reverse psychology grin

3 Likes

Re: The Sad Lives Of Freelancers In Nigeria by qtx(m): 2:17pm On May 25, 2023
jerk:
Forget about freelance writing, the job has casted now. Look for another freelance job and check if it will be affected by the current AI programs that makes jobs easy now.
Better look for your own job and take the advantage of AI to create your own job or niche, the era of freelance is coming to and end and only few might remain.
So long as Google is against AI content, AI writing is yet to take over anything. No serious organization makes use of AI content for anything serious.

1 Like 1 Share

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (Reply)

Oyo Government Sacks 662 Workers, Distributes Sack Letters / "How Can I Start A Wig And Hair Business?" / Some Important Tips Needed To Survive A PhD

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 56
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.