Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,148,650 members, 7,801,898 topics. Date: Friday, 19 April 2024 at 04:40 AM

Ooni, Pete Edochie And Kanayo Handshake Sparks Controversy Online (Video) - Celebrities - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Entertainment / Celebrities / Ooni, Pete Edochie And Kanayo Handshake Sparks Controversy Online (Video) (78084 Views)

Pete Edochie And Wife Relax With Yul Edochie As He Visits Them (Photo) / Nina, Osita Iheme And Kanayo O Kanayo On Set Of A New Movie / Ebuka Obi-Uchendu And Kanayo O Kanayo Pictured Together (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10) ... (13) (Reply) (Go Down)

Ooni, Pete Edochie And Kanayo Handshake Sparks Controversy Online (Video) by Naijalarry: 6:56pm On May 25, 2023

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=im0cHn2jXGc

The exchange of handshakes between Nollywood actors, Pete Edochie and Kanayo O. Kanayo, and the Ooni of Ife, Oba Adeyeye Ogunwusi Enitan, has elicited a flurry of comments on social media.

In the viral video shared on Thursday, Edochie and Kanayo approached Ooni's table at Nigerian entrepreneur Elizabeth Jack Rich's 40th birthday party on Tuesday and exchanged Igbo back handshakes with the monarch.

Social media users on Instagram took to the comment section of the video on Kanayo’s account with some knocking the actors for disrespecting the tradition by exchanging handshakes with the monarch.

A user, Max Maxwell, blamed the monarch for accepting the handshake saying, “The blame is on the Ooni of Ife for going to that kind of place and for also accepting a handshake from people. I’m not against the Nollywood stars but they are supposed to bow before the stool of the king of Ife. if it was the former Ooni of Ife who could try this and even give him a handshake?”

Edochie's son, Linc, hailed the actor saying, “A gathering of Elites…”

Blazing Fire claimed that the amount of handshakes represents how great men are greeted in the Igbo nation. He wrote, “They gave the Oba a three handshake which is how great men are traditionally greeted in Igboland, do you expect Chief Pete Edochie to prostrate for the Oba😮 It's not done, we are NdIgbo.”

Another user, Noel Enomhonse, compared how the Oba of Benin exchanged greetings with people with the Yoruba monarch saying, “It looks like this king doesn't know what his culture expects of him. I'm still thinking of that man in Nigeria who shook hands with the great Oba of Benin in that manner. Even the president and other world leaders bow before him. Sorry to say! Pete Edochie just disrespected the king.”

“Pls always respect traditions, this is disrespectful to our culture,” Rahmon Oladipo, commented.

A movie director, Ugezu J. Ugezu, hailed the actor saying, “When you hear OKWU OTO EKENE EZE........ now you understand it.” which means "he who stands up straight, to greet kings.”

Flappyu wrote, “If you don’t respect yourself no one will .. if the real and former king 👑 is on the seat this nonsense will not happen. I respect 🫡 the work and talent of the legend but if the king starts respecting the throne and acts like a king 🤴 this madness will not happen. If anything remove your cap 🧢 😢”

However, another user, Obi Akamel, reacting to the video said, “I watched this again and it’s actually the Ooni that offered the handshake first. Edochie is a god on his own.”

Source- https://punchng.com/ooni-pete-edochie-handshake-stirs-controversy-on-social-media/

6 Likes 1 Share

Re: Ooni, Pete Edochie And Kanayo Handshake Sparks Controversy Online (Video) by Majlaw(m): 7:10pm On May 25, 2023
So? Mod someone complained about you Earlier

11 Likes

Re: Ooni, Pete Edochie And Kanayo Handshake Sparks Controversy Online (Video) by DBossNG(m): 7:10pm On May 25, 2023
grin
Re: Ooni, Pete Edochie And Kanayo Handshake Sparks Controversy Online (Video) by Wodu89: 7:11pm On May 25, 2023
Men Dem !

67 Likes 2 Shares

Re: Ooni, Pete Edochie And Kanayo Handshake Sparks Controversy Online (Video) by IamdbuII: 7:11pm On May 25, 2023
Dbull on this one!

As a public figure make I keep quiet on this matter

13 Likes 1 Share

Re: Ooni, Pete Edochie And Kanayo Handshake Sparks Controversy Online (Video) by taylor89(m): 7:11pm On May 25, 2023
is Pete Oonis mate?

As you be king for your land na so another person be king for him land

Even me wey no be anybody I no fit bow my head for Ooni

Ooni wey dey marry different women per week dey find respect

Rubbish

No be Ooni wan use two hands shake white man so?

E don reach Pete una penis stand

If Ooni waka anyhow for night sef guys wey he collect their babes go knack am 2 by 2

Ooni should be thankful say Kanayo no use am complete June sacrifice

602 Likes 55 Shares

Re: Ooni, Pete Edochie And Kanayo Handshake Sparks Controversy Online (Video) by Pandev(m): 7:11pm On May 25, 2023
You don't shake a king

11 Likes 4 Shares

Re: Ooni, Pete Edochie And Kanayo Handshake Sparks Controversy Online (Video) by abdulskulboy(m): 7:11pm On May 25, 2023
Pete and Kenayo has officially initiated Oni grin

103 Likes 9 Shares

Re: Ooni, Pete Edochie And Kanayo Handshake Sparks Controversy Online (Video) by PlayerMeji: 7:11pm On May 25, 2023
ok
Re: Ooni, Pete Edochie And Kanayo Handshake Sparks Controversy Online (Video) by nrexzy: 7:11pm On May 25, 2023
So make titled men no greet again

60 Likes

Re: Ooni, Pete Edochie And Kanayo Handshake Sparks Controversy Online (Video) by Metronomy(m): 7:11pm On May 25, 2023
They are all things of the world....at this stage, heavenly things supposed to be making headlines.

Modified:

I think that kind of greetings is not the common western handshake, with my little knowledge, even those from the eastern side of Nigeria that uses this type of handshake are either royals or elite, so, I don't see something bad here.. people just trying with different unnecessary news to trend.

47 Likes 6 Shares

Re: Ooni, Pete Edochie And Kanayo Handshake Sparks Controversy Online (Video) by taylor89(m): 7:11pm On May 25, 2023
Pandev:
You don't shake a king

Exactly my brother

Pete is supposed to summersault for Horrny of Ife

After summersaulting Pete will enter kitchen and fry egg for him

Pete even try sef to give him three hands shake of a titled man

If na me I go claw am Vikings handshake

333 Likes 27 Shares

Re: Ooni, Pete Edochie And Kanayo Handshake Sparks Controversy Online (Video) by Angelfrost(m): 7:11pm On May 25, 2023
Much Ado about absolutely nothing...!

125 Likes 13 Shares

Re: Ooni, Pete Edochie And Kanayo Handshake Sparks Controversy Online (Video) by marlow1962(m): 7:11pm On May 25, 2023
Ok

1 Like 1 Share

Re: Ooni, Pete Edochie And Kanayo Handshake Sparks Controversy Online (Video) by reiddecuti: 7:11pm On May 25, 2023
Pete na man. Ooni na title.

45 Likes 3 Shares

Re: Ooni, Pete Edochie And Kanayo Handshake Sparks Controversy Online (Video) by Yugoslavia247(m): 7:11pm On May 25, 2023
The king will shake a white man and you won't see an uproar.

Yoruba ro omu

281 Likes 21 Shares

Re: Ooni, Pete Edochie And Kanayo Handshake Sparks Controversy Online (Video) by ucsquare(m): 7:11pm On May 25, 2023
So a whole Odogwu go dey bow for common Ooni no be juju be that?.. grin

It should be the other way around, with the Ooni humbly prostrating before the esteemed Odogwu..

Contact me lets design a compelling CV for you that stands out from the competition

47 Likes 3 Shares

Re: Ooni, Pete Edochie And Kanayo Handshake Sparks Controversy Online (Video) by Pchikaodili(m): 7:12pm On May 25, 2023
The Oni of Ife is disrespectful,...how can he sat down to shake Pete? He suppose stand to greet Pete Edochie...
Not only that, the three handshake is not for everyone, its only meant for titled chiefs in Igbo land...I blame Pete for that...just one is enough for oni.

197 Likes 11 Shares

Re: Ooni, Pete Edochie And Kanayo Handshake Sparks Controversy Online (Video) by Prayfortheworld: 7:12pm On May 25, 2023
Lmao 😂 make them bow for am?
A Titled igbo man bow for oni of Ife? Una no well😂

213 Likes 18 Shares

Re: Ooni, Pete Edochie And Kanayo Handshake Sparks Controversy Online (Video) by southsouthking(m): 7:12pm On May 25, 2023
Kanayo O Kanayo, Last Burial.
Man of Substance.

12 Likes

Re: Ooni, Pete Edochie And Kanayo Handshake Sparks Controversy Online (Video) by Shalommy(f): 7:12pm On May 25, 2023
They're cultists naundecided. Abi una dey jonz

10 Likes 2 Shares

Re: Ooni, Pete Edochie And Kanayo Handshake Sparks Controversy Online (Video) by Savechild23: 7:12pm On May 25, 2023
Correct person Pete

9 Likes

Re: Ooni, Pete Edochie And Kanayo Handshake Sparks Controversy Online (Video) by Okiton: 7:12pm On May 25, 2023
wink

Ooni has notice that there's nothing more to life but only idiots will think the world belongs to them

Blazing Fire claimed that the amount of handshakes represents how great men are greeted in the Igbo nation. He wrote, “They gave the Oba a three handshake which is how great men are traditionally greeted in Igboland, do you expect Chief Pete Edochie to prostrate for the Oba😮 It's not done, we are NdIgbo.”

an Igbo man can only bow to his god

88 Likes 3 Shares

Re: Ooni, Pete Edochie And Kanayo Handshake Sparks Controversy Online (Video) by Moneywirer: 7:12pm On May 25, 2023
Una dey over think this thing.

9 Likes

Re: Ooni, Pete Edochie And Kanayo Handshake Sparks Controversy Online (Video) by Glock22: 7:12pm On May 25, 2023
Lol

Clash of traditions!

The yorubas expect Pete to bow as per Yoruba tradition.

Igbos do not bow to anyone as per igbo tradition.

So no one should expect the other to conform with their own tradition, especially as this is not the Ooni’s palace.

172 Likes 9 Shares

Re: Ooni, Pete Edochie And Kanayo Handshake Sparks Controversy Online (Video) by Afonjacrusder(f): 7:12pm On May 25, 2023
IamdbuII:
Dbull on this one!

As a public figure make I keep quiet on this matter

8 Likes

Re: Ooni, Pete Edochie And Kanayo Handshake Sparks Controversy Online (Video) by zanebaddo(m): 7:12pm On May 25, 2023
.lol Pete Edochie a titled Igbo elder who met Oni at a probably random event should bow down to him lol

104 Likes 6 Shares

Re: Ooni, Pete Edochie And Kanayo Handshake Sparks Controversy Online (Video) by commodore007: 7:12pm On May 25, 2023
Ooni ti ja si..
Re: Ooni, Pete Edochie And Kanayo Handshake Sparks Controversy Online (Video) by Angelfrost(m): 7:12pm On May 25, 2023
Pandev:
You don't shake a king

I think you should say... A King doesn't accept handshakes!

They never compelled him to shake hands... He could have politely declined!

Better yet, the elderly actors could or should have been given the proper orientation prior to entering the palace...!

So, the blame, if you feel there is any, should go to the Monarch and his attendants.

27 Likes 4 Shares

Re: Ooni, Pete Edochie And Kanayo Handshake Sparks Controversy Online (Video) by Doskit(m): 7:13pm On May 25, 2023
cool

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10) ... (13) (Reply)

Burial: Ras Kimono's Face & Corpse Captured (Photos, Video) / Peter Okoye Of Psquare’s Mansion And Cars In Ikoyi. / Davido’s Victim Rushed To Dubai Hospital, Covered In Blood

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 24
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.