Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,150,312 members, 7,808,051 topics. Date: Thursday, 25 April 2024 at 06:01 AM

UK Universities Disagree With Government’s Ban On Foreign Students’ Families - Education (3) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Education / UK Universities Disagree With Government’s Ban On Foreign Students’ Families (30674 Views)

Foreign Students: UK Varsities May Fall Into Deficit, Says Report / 20 Nigerian Students Of Brampton Manor Academy Break Into Best UK Universities / Fun Time: Name That English Word You Totally Disagree With Its Spelling (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (4) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: UK Universities Disagree With Government’s Ban On Foreign Students’ Families by Lukuluku69(m): 9:36am On May 26, 2023
NwaliE01:
Imagine the amount this universities are raking due to our decayed educational system. Wow wow like an ambulance.

Do you know that the UK Embassy make more money in Nigeria than 20 out of the 36 States in Nigeria? It only sits on 6 Plots of Land

Do you know that the US Embassy is only bettered by only 8 States in IGR in Nigeria ? It sits only on a 6 Plots of Land.

4 Likes 1 Share

Re: UK Universities Disagree With Government’s Ban On Foreign Students’ Families by benitwater(m): 9:37am On May 26, 2023
They should please at least suspend it for now.
Maybe they should reduce numbers of dependant but not banning it outrightly.

1 Like

Re: UK Universities Disagree With Government’s Ban On Foreign Students’ Families by JaskanFactor: 9:37am On May 26, 2023
just dont forget, africans wont be going europe for university, if europe wasnt busy working hard to ensure africa is a dump.

5 Likes 1 Share

Re: UK Universities Disagree With Government’s Ban On Foreign Students’ Families by bukatyne(f): 9:38am On May 26, 2023
Reference:

Subsidizing their soccer league, subsidizing their banks, and financial markets, and on and on..... It's called globalization. Where wealth flows from the un-serious to the serious nations.

You can imagine how much subsidy your President has made/paid to their health care system in the last 8 years. They will dearly miss him.

Hmmmmmm,

Sad.
Re: UK Universities Disagree With Government’s Ban On Foreign Students’ Families by LordIsaac(m): 9:42am On May 26, 2023
bukatyne:

As in!

They are cashing out seriously.
It is not their fault, our leaders are completely irresponsible that's why.

1 Like

Re: UK Universities Disagree With Government’s Ban On Foreign Students’ Families by 4ward4: 9:52am On May 26, 2023
oluwableskay:
Exactly, just like what happened in UAE, I hope those already their can start investing at home because you can never predict Uk government, anything can happen after completing their post graduate program

Yes , I heard previous pricey Jobs now pays peanut in UAE. person making it big there are usually into fraud.

1 Like

Re: UK Universities Disagree With Government’s Ban On Foreign Students’ Families by Coldie(m): 10:01am On May 26, 2023
Home student fees is £10k and they pay it through student loan that most times they abandon it and move to Australia or US or Canada when they are done.

International student fees is £17,000 and majority even get extension and pay more.

These people know lol

2 Likes

Re: UK Universities Disagree With Government’s Ban On Foreign Students’ Families by floret23(f): 10:07am On May 26, 2023
drlateef:
The UK only thinks about money. And that is the overriding factor. The government will cave in. Otherwise it will have to fund universities if they don’t want fee increases for home students. And where is the funding coming from, when all social services are stretched beyond limit and poverty rate is increasing at alarming rate. It is the jobless and low income group that is anti-immigrant, not the educated and well to do people. They are always afraid that immigrants are coming to share in their pot of social benefits.
Don't let your fellow ur chins see this comment. It's against ronu policy.

1 Like

Re: UK Universities Disagree With Government’s Ban On Foreign Students’ Families by floret23(f): 10:09am On May 26, 2023
Heroicvic:
Omo this new policy pain me pass Nigeria cash crunch policy

I just dey cry since, na me know wetin hit me
Not only you but the whole of Nigeria youths except agbado people.

1 Like 1 Share

Re: UK Universities Disagree With Government’s Ban On Foreign Students’ Families by DaddyJapan(m): 10:16am On May 26, 2023
jowhyte:
Confusion between the UK govt and UK universities. Let’s see who blinks first first.

The UK government knows precisely how much the economy gains from foreign students, so the policy has a lot to do with appealing to party voters who want reduced immigration. This is essentially is what Brexit was about too.

International students studying in Glasgow, London, Sheffield, Nottingham and Newcastle are among those to deliver the greatest financial boost, according to the report. Even when taking into account dependants and the cost to public services, which it estimates at £4.4bn, the study says international students are a huge net contributor to the UK economy, providing a total net benefit of £37.4bn.
Source: https://www.theguardian.com/education/2023/may/16/international-students-boosted-uk-economy-by-42bn-in-20212-study

Re: UK Universities Disagree With Government’s Ban On Foreign Students’ Families by Flakky26(f): 10:31am On May 26, 2023
Good Governance is a collective effort. We all know the problems and challenges as a Country. Drop your ideas and suggestions in different areas such as Insecurity, Unemployment, Power, Education etc for the Incoming Government click https://myinputng.webs.com/

Inputs Made Will Be Communicated To The Appropriate Government Ministeries And Agencies
Re: UK Universities Disagree With Government’s Ban On Foreign Students’ Families by wealthyvic1: 10:41am On May 26, 2023
I wonder why Nigerians are spending huge amount going to the UK.
There is nothing special about the UK
I earn foreign currency right here in Nigeria.

3 Likes

Re: UK Universities Disagree With Government’s Ban On Foreign Students’ Families by Gemma11: 10:46am On May 26, 2023
Etranshub:
It will be their lost in the end, prospective students that wants to move with their family will be seeking admissions at countries that will accept them with their family. The UK economy needs the money grin

I'll say this again. Genuine students are not approaching 40 sell everything in their home land and move with 4-5 family members to another country.
Those who genuinely want to study at a UK unversity which are among the best in the world will still come solo. The Indians and Chinese students aren't crying about this new change in policy even though they make up the majoirty of international students because most of them come solo.

7 Likes 3 Shares

Re: UK Universities Disagree With Government’s Ban On Foreign Students’ Families by steeltrust: 11:00am On May 26, 2023
Acidosis:

Look at this man, you're not "Ronu-ing" again in Lagos? You don tire??
bros abeg live the fool make em de balablu as em like 😅😂

What is good for the gander is also good for the goose abi how them talk am abeg correct me 🤣🤣

2 Likes

Re: UK Universities Disagree With Government’s Ban On Foreign Students’ Families by MT: 11:26am On May 26, 2023
UK universities are greedy, collecting huge money while dishing out half baked certificates. They do not care if the UK economy sinks as much as they are making money. Due to massive crowd, the quality of education has nose dived, and UK universities are now teaching students in batches. Pathetic.

Sunak is saddled with managing the UK economy. He understands how the surge in immigration will affect the whole UK. He wont listen to those greedy uni.

5 Likes 1 Share

Re: UK Universities Disagree With Government’s Ban On Foreign Students’ Families by MT: 11:34am On May 26, 2023
drlateef:
The UK only thinks about money. And that is the overriding factor. The government will cave in. Otherwise it will have to fund universities if they don’t want fee increases for home students. And where is the funding coming from, when all social services are stretched beyond limit and poverty rate is increasing at alarming rate. It is the jobless and low income group that is anti-immigrant, not the educated and well to do people. They are always afraid that immigrants are coming to share in their pot of social benefits.

Well analysed.

However, if UK continues in letting people in, their economy will go down. UK can't eat their cakes and still have it.

Most people travelling are working as low skilled workers. The jobs are not going round again as the country is over saturated with low skilled workers, meaning that even the immigrants are poorer and struggling
It's a lose lose at the end of the day.

4 Likes

Re: UK Universities Disagree With Government’s Ban On Foreign Students’ Families by BeauBragnar11: 12:55pm On May 26, 2023
Gemma11:

I'll say this again. Genuine students are not approaching 40 sell everything in their home land and move with 4-5 family members to another country.
Those who genuinely want to study at a UK unversity which are among the best in the world will still come solo. The Indians and Chinese students aren't crying about this new change in policy even though they make up the majoirty of international students because most of them come solo.

Keep quiet if you're inexperienced in the subject matter...

You think Nigerians come an inch close to Indians in terms of bringing Dependents??(Go look up the statistics), it's in public domain.

Indians that even bring their parents??

Don't respond rubbish to me if you're not in the UK angry angry

1 Like

Re: UK Universities Disagree With Government’s Ban On Foreign Students’ Families by DaddyJapan(m): 1:12pm On May 26, 2023
BeauBragnar11:

You think Nigerians come an inch close to Indians in terms of bringing Dependents??(Go look up the statistics), it's in public domain.

3 Likes 1 Share

Re: UK Universities Disagree With Government’s Ban On Foreign Students’ Families by blueAgent(m): 1:38pm On May 26, 2023
ribbit:
the people vote the government and people are generally territorial.

You don't want people flooding to your country to damage it like the place they are running from..

So you have to plan everything appropriately and at the same time give people opportunity to migrate to your country.
People who actually have something to offer. Not nuisance trying to take over the social amenities and run it down.

So true
Re: UK Universities Disagree With Government’s Ban On Foreign Students’ Families by blueAgent(m): 1:47pm On May 26, 2023
JaskanFactor:
just dont forget, africans wont be going europe for university, if europe wasnt busy working hard to ensure africa is a dump.

How?

Am sure you voted ApC and you are here talking rubbish.

2 Likes 1 Share

Re: UK Universities Disagree With Government’s Ban On Foreign Students’ Families by BeauBragnar11: 2:17pm On May 26, 2023
DaddyJapan:

Don't be clever by half.
Why emphasize on 2022 alone?

Your attachment is an analysis spanning btw 2019-2022. Can't you see it clearly Nigeria comes a distant second to India??
Re: UK Universities Disagree With Government’s Ban On Foreign Students’ Families by Tunagee(m): 2:29pm On May 26, 2023
MT:

Well analysed.

However, if UK continues in letting people in, their economy will go down. UK can't eat their cakes and still have it.

Most people travelling are working as low skilled workers. The jobs are not going round again as the country is over saturated with low skilled workers, meaning that even the immigrants are poorer and struggling

Exactly
Re: UK Universities Disagree With Government’s Ban On Foreign Students’ Families by Tunagee(m): 2:30pm On May 26, 2023
BeauBragnar11:

Wetin people dey find for UK sef?
Re: UK Universities Disagree With Government’s Ban On Foreign Students’ Families by gbishman: 2:47pm On May 26, 2023
I have continued to say and will continue to say. The UK is overrated, students should look else where and take their hard earned money to other countries who will respect and appreciate them.
The Nigerian government has failed its people by not investing the necessary resources to keep our universities competitive with others thats why we are getting treated this way.
I hope this serves as a lesson and eye opener
Re: UK Universities Disagree With Government’s Ban On Foreign Students’ Families by Gemma11: 2:49pm On May 26, 2023
BeauBragnar11:

Check the graph above...if you don't understand it then ask and stop defending nonsense.

China has the highest number of international students in the UK but the number of dependents they brought were less than 500 for instance.

Look at the ration here

2 Likes 1 Share

Re: UK Universities Disagree With Government’s Ban On Foreign Students’ Families by Gemma11: 2:56pm On May 26, 2023
gbishman:
I have continued to say and will continue to say. The UK is overrated, students should look else where and take their hard earned money to other countries who will respect and appreciate them.
The Nigerian government has failed its people by not investing the necessary resources to keep our universities competitive with others thats why we are getting treated this way.
I hope this serves as a lesson and eye opener

The UK is not overrated which is why the whole world wants to come here. Na bad belly dey let Nigerians dey talk anyhow to downgrade the UK.

That being said Nigerians should stay in Nigeria and build the country instead of running away because everywhere una dey go na to find one issue or another with whereever they choose to settle.
Re: UK Universities Disagree With Government’s Ban On Foreign Students’ Families by Gemma11: 3:00pm On May 26, 2023
BeauBragnar11:

Don't be clever by half.
Why emphasize on 2022 alone?

Your attachment is an analysis spanning btw 2019-2022. Can't you see it clearly Nigeria comes a distant second to India??

Because we are still in 2023 and there is incomplete data for this year.

You misunderstood the graph obviously or you no sabi read?

Figure 3 shows that [b]Nigeria had the highest number of dependants (60,923) of sponsored study visa holders [/b]in 2022, increasing from 1,586 in 2019. Indian nationals had the second highest number of dependants, increasing from 3,135 to 38,990. There were almost 120,000 dependant visas granted to the top 5 nationalities (Nigeria, India, Pakistan, Bangladesh and Sri Lanka) in 2022.

When looking at the proportional change in visa grants to dependants, by nationality, Nigeria saw a large increase in the proportion of sponsored study related visas granted to dependants, from 19% in 2019, to 51% in 2022. Indian nationals also saw an increase in the proportion of dependants, from 8% to 22%.

Outside of the top 5 nationalities, the increase in proportion was more modest (from 4% to 6%).

https://www.gov.uk/government/statistics/immigration-system-statistics-year-ending-december-2022/why-do-people-come-to-the-uk-to-study
Re: UK Universities Disagree With Government’s Ban On Foreign Students’ Families by Wettoid123: 3:29pm On May 26, 2023
They can't!
Re: UK Universities Disagree With Government’s Ban On Foreign Students’ Families by RaptorX: 3:38pm On May 26, 2023
People spending thousands of pounds on rubbish courses you can do in Nigeria cheaply just to brag I am studying in the UK. Oyinbos are big time scammers, they make your yahoo boys look like amateurs.
Re: UK Universities Disagree With Government’s Ban On Foreign Students’ Families by Etranshub(m): 7:44pm On May 26, 2023
Gemma11:

majority of prospective students from Nigeria are approaching 40 and wants to travel with their family. This is exactly why they will look at other countries.... The arrangement use to be a win win for both parties, if the UK decided to change it overnight, i ttust my people to look elsewhere.

Btw it is those (atleast a large number of them) who are approaching 40 that can afford this study route because atleast one (if not both) of the couples must have been working for years and must have saved some reasonable amout of money

1 Like

Re: UK Universities Disagree With Government’s Ban On Foreign Students’ Families by drlateef: 7:45pm On May 26, 2023
MT:

Well analysed.

I can share with you the jobs available at Job Centre in my area. Most of them are low skilled jobs. The natives don’t just want to work. They want to claim benefits and watch football and travel about in Europe with it.

2 Likes

Re: UK Universities Disagree With Government’s Ban On Foreign Students’ Families by lymelyte(m): 12:11am On May 27, 2023
Till date,I don't know why I am not fascinated by UK.. undecided

(1) (2) (3) (4) (Reply)

UNIBEN Rolls Out, Sells 'Seminarial' Dress Codes Handbook (Photos) / Cow Goes On The Loose In Covenant University, Attacks Passers-by (VIDEO) / University Lecturers Use Research Grants To Buy Cars, Build Mansions, Drink Beer

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 48
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.