Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,150,379 members, 7,808,348 topics. Date: Thursday, 25 April 2024 at 10:42 AM

Kano: Security Council Declares Phone Snatching As Armed Robbery - Crime (2) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Crime / Kano: Security Council Declares Phone Snatching As Armed Robbery (8647 Views)

Birmingham City Council Declares Itself Bankrupt Amid $950m Pay Claims / Violence persists in Zamfara, as armed bandits kill 40 In fresh attacks-Thisday / Cows Slaughtered As Armed Militia Storm Fulani IDP Camp In Nassarawa. Photos (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: Kano: Security Council Declares Phone Snatching As Armed Robbery by HacheNoire: 6:21pm On May 28, 2023
SultanOfAbia:
This one no concern me

Fine babe wey I carry from ojuelegba carry go hotel spend finish she open leg the whole room smell like Titus angry

This girl just ruin my whole Sunday sad

🤮 🤮🤮
Re: Kano: Security Council Declares Phone Snatching As Armed Robbery by LordEclipse: 6:29pm On May 28, 2023
[quote author=nairalandkachy1 post=123423278][/quote]..

Armed robbery is when the person is actually ARMED..ode. Phone snatching without weapon is just stealing

1 Like

Re: Kano: Security Council Declares Phone Snatching As Armed Robbery by Rexzivyson99(m): 6:34pm On May 28, 2023
Affordable ileya rams and cows for sale
Delivery Around Ota, Ipaja, Alimosho, Ibadan
Delivery can be made to close areas too

Message, call or WhatsApp 07058319620

Re: Kano: Security Council Declares Phone Snatching As Armed Robbery by Speakz: 6:37pm On May 28, 2023
Timoleon:
Armed robbery is technically different from stealing (petty theft). It usually carries hefty penalties. It involves stealing with the use of weapons capable of causing bodily harm or even death. Phone snatching in many cases does not involve use of weapons, in many of those cases, it involves a snatch and run. But the menace is much which is why I believe they chose to make the punishment serious.

Phone snatchers use weapons. The do not only cause bodily harm, they even go as far as killing some of their unlucky victims. It's a menace in Kano at the moment.
Re: Kano: Security Council Declares Phone Snatching As Armed Robbery by Reckonsoft: 6:41pm On May 28, 2023
Those phone snatchers don do people strong tin
Re: Kano: Security Council Declares Phone Snatching As Armed Robbery by JOemmy(m): 6:44pm On May 28, 2023
What about the act of snuffing dollars in babariga by corrupt politicians in kano like we all saw with gov. ganduge is that act not far worse than phone snatching?
Re: Kano: Security Council Declares Phone Snatching As Armed Robbery by advanceDNA: 6:46pm On May 28, 2023
Timoleon:
I don’t believe they are actually going to term it as armed robbery. But they intend for it to carry the same consequences.

Armed robbery na death by hanging ooo

1 Like

Re: Kano: Security Council Declares Phone Snatching As Armed Robbery by Menclothing: 6:47pm On May 28, 2023
This is cool
Re: Kano: Security Council Declares Phone Snatching As Armed Robbery by Timoleon(m): 6:49pm On May 28, 2023
They practice sharia in the north. Robbery f any kind is considered to be a really serious crime under sharia.
advanceDNA:

Armed robbery na death by hanging ooo
Re: Kano: Security Council Declares Phone Snatching As Armed Robbery by advanceDNA: 7:13pm On May 28, 2023
Timoleon:
They practice sharia in the north. Robbery f any kind is considered to be a really serious crime under sharia.

Are u saying they no longer uphold the democratic laws and state police have turn to shariah police
Re: Kano: Security Council Declares Phone Snatching As Armed Robbery by Timoleon(m): 7:21pm On May 28, 2023
advanceDNA:

Are u saying they no longer uphold the democratic laws and state police have turn to shariah police

The sharia law is a recognized branch of the Nigerian legal system. It operates side by side with the common law. While more secular states retain the common law. The core northern states (Islamic) adopted sharia law.
Re: Kano: Security Council Declares Phone Snatching As Armed Robbery by Paretomaster1(m): 7:25pm On May 28, 2023
Timoleon:
Armed robbery is technically different from stealing (petty theft). It usually carries hefty penalties. It involves stealing with the use of weapons capable of causing bodily harm or even death. Phone snatching in many cases does not involve use of weapons, in many of those cases, it involves a snatch and run. But the menace is much which is why I believe they chose to make the punishment serious.

E be like say u r from the moon...

Most phone snatchers do so with weapons in their hands.

The Kano situation is pure armed robbery, they attack with dagger, if u hold on to the phone they stab u severally, many have been killed because of phone, Some won't even ask u for the phone, they just stab u first, and request for the phone or take it.
Re: Kano: Security Council Declares Phone Snatching As Armed Robbery by Timoleon(m): 7:30pm On May 28, 2023
Point where I said ‘all phone snatchers’ please.
I’ll reiterate though. In many cases, there are no weapons involved.
Paretomaster1:

E be like say u r from the moon...

Most phone snatchers do so with weapons in their hands.

The Kano situation is pure armed robbery, they attack with dagger, if u hold on to the phone they stab u severally, many have been killed because of phone, Some won't even ask u for the phone, they just stab u first, and request for the phone or take it.
Re: Kano: Security Council Declares Phone Snatching As Armed Robbery by advanceDNA: 7:31pm On May 28, 2023
Timoleon:

The sharia law is a recognized branch of the Nigerian legal system. It operates side by side with the common law. While more secular states retain the common law. The core northern states (Islamic) adopted sharia law.

What does operate side by side mean??
Can a state punish an offender with two laws at the same time??.. which one will come into play when an offender is caught cos Kano is not a core northern state....
Re: Kano: Security Council Declares Phone Snatching As Armed Robbery by Timoleon(m): 7:38pm On May 28, 2023
Operate side by side means that in Nigeria as an entity, the sharia law is functional without invalidating the common law and vice versa. As for the other question, Individuals, have the right to choose how to be tried (especially if they are not of Islamic religion). This may not always be the case in real life situations but that’s what it’s supposed to be.

Below is a Wikipedia page on sharia in Nigeria. Hopefully it answers some of your curiosity.
https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Sharia_in_Nigeria#:~:text=As%20of%202012%2C%20the%20following,Kano%20State%20(21%20June%202000)
advanceDNA:

What does operate side by side mean??
Can a state punish an offender with two laws at the same time??.. which one will come into play when an offender is caught cos Kano is not a core northern state....

Re: Kano: Security Council Declares Phone Snatching As Armed Robbery by CaptainFM1: 7:44pm On May 28, 2023
So what do they call looting and embezzlement?
Re: Kano: Security Council Declares Phone Snatching As Armed Robbery by seeyounow2: 7:50pm On May 28, 2023
cool cool

Re: Kano: Security Council Declares Phone Snatching As Armed Robbery by Nahunger(m): 8:00pm On May 28, 2023
SultanOfAbia:
This one no concern me

Fine babe wey I carry from ojuelegba carry go hotel spend finish she open leg the whole room smell like Titus angry

My whole Sunday just ruined like that sad

I feel your pain 😂😂😂😂😂😂😂😪😪😪😪😪😪😪😪😪😪😪😪😪😪😪😪😪😪😪😪😪😪😪😪😪😪😪😪😪😪😪😪

I pray I never encounter such again In my entire life
Re: Kano: Security Council Declares Phone Snatching As Armed Robbery by Honestfrend: 8:45pm On May 28, 2023
What was it before... Aboki sef..
Re: Kano: Security Council Declares Phone Snatching As Armed Robbery by Litmus: 9:28pm On May 28, 2023
CaptainFM1:
So what do they call looting and embezzlement?

The thing that simple everyday people shout because others shout it due to indoctrination by people in opposition politics sloganeering.
Re: Kano: Security Council Declares Phone Snatching As Armed Robbery by Paretomaster1(m): 9:48pm On May 28, 2023
Timoleon:
Point where I said ‘all phone snatchers’ please.
I’ll reiterate though. In many cases, there are no weapons involved.

In many cases, there are weapons involved.....
Re: Kano: Security Council Declares Phone Snatching As Armed Robbery by Timoleon(m): 11:23pm On May 28, 2023
Does that negate my statement in anyway?

In many cases, there are no weapons involved.

In many other cases, are no weapons involved.

Neither negates the other.
Paretomaster1:

Re: Kano: Security Council Declares Phone Snatching As Armed Robbery by ItisWell22(f): 11:44pm On May 28, 2023
oluwaseyi0:
it's like English is disturbing this people

for a robbery (irrespective of what is stolen) to be termed 'armed robbery' the attacker must be armed with dangerous weapon e.g gun, knife etc even if an attacker fully rob a bank but without any weapon it is not armed robbery, it's simply robbery

Most times, the thieves have knives with which they stab their victims, especially those who try to resist them.

For Kano to take this step, the reported cases no be here…

Paretomaster1:

In most cases sef, bearing in mind that the typical “yandaba” always carry daggers around.

Them no stab the cases you’ve heard about, no mean sey them no hold weapon.
Re: Kano: Security Council Declares Phone Snatching As Armed Robbery by Paretomaster1(m): 5:57am On May 29, 2023
ItisWell22:

Most times, the thieves have knives with which they stab their victims, especially those who try to resist them.

For Kano to take this step, the reported cases no be here…

In most cases sef, bearing in mind that the typical “yandaba” always carry daggers around.

Them no stab the cases you’ve heard about, no mean sey them no hold weapon.

Naso! That's what am trying to tell the guy up there...

1 Like

Re: Kano: Security Council Declares Phone Snatching As Armed Robbery by Cj4charles(m): 7:14am On May 29, 2023
beerfraud:
Ipob terrorists please take note
And Oduduwa Terrorists from the sad waste should also take note
Re: Kano: Security Council Declares Phone Snatching As Armed Robbery by Stone24: 10:53am On May 29, 2023
Sometimes I wonder the kind Brian this northern people have, is phone snatching not robbery before. ? This people and their wahala rubbish people everywhere, poilitain have over used them as rag

(1) (2) (Reply)

“christians Punish Pastor Caught Cheating'' See Wetin intimacy De Cause / Nigerian Man Sold Fake Airport For $242million / Kaduna: Bandits Attack gbagyi Village, Kill One, Kidnap 10 people

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 29
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.