Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,149,691 members, 7,805,843 topics. Date: Tuesday, 23 April 2024 at 07:08 AM

Video Game Emulators And Emulation For Smartphones Explained - Phones - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Science/Technology / Phones / Video Game Emulators And Emulation For Smartphones Explained (1657 Views)

Nintendo Switch Emulation For Android / TECNO Introduces The World's First Telescopic Macro Lens For Smartphones / Fast Charge Technology On Smartphones Explained (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (Reply) (Go Down)

Video Game Emulators And Emulation For Smartphones Explained by atheistandproud(m): 4:03pm On May 29, 2023
Video Game Emulation and Emulators refers to process and tools by which smartphones can be made to play console games.

Smartphones are no longer just communication devices anymore. They are mini personal computers that can handle multimedia e.g. pictures, movies, games etc.

Speaking of games, smartphones can be made to play games that were originally designed for other platforms. These games can be run in their original forms via the use of video game emulation and emulators.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=g_5PmzlNYlk

What is Video Game Emulation?
In English, to means to copy or imitate. Therefore, emulation means making smartphones copy or behave as though they were a console. In order to do this, you’re going to need an emulator.

What is an Emulator?
In computing, an emulator is a piece of hardware and/or software that allows one computer (host) to behave like another (guest). This usually allows one computer to run software that’s meant for another computer.

There are several types of emulation and emulators but what we are interested in is Video Game Emulation and Emulators.

Video Game Emulation and Emulators for Smartphones

A video game emulator is a type of emulator that allows a smartphone to behave like a video game console. This means that one could play console games on their phone with the help of such emulators (both hardware and software).

Emulation is mostly done with software i.e apps but more often than not, you might need a controller. A controller is hardware and the app is software. This in my opinion offers the best emulation experience.

Whilst smartphones do have excellent games like eFootball 2024 mobile, PUBG Mobile, Brawl Stars, Call of Duty Mobile etc. These games cannot really compare to many console games.

Console emulation on smartphones is usually aimed at old 1980’s to the early 2000’s consoles. These include consoles such as the Sega Mega Drive 2, Sega Dreamcast, Nintendo Entertainment System (NES), Super Nintendo Entertainment System (SNES), Nintendo 64 (N64), Playstation and Playstation 2 etc. Handhelds like the PlayStation Portable and the Gameboy for example, are also targeted.

This is because newer consoles are much too powerful to be emulated on smartphones. A lot of developers are still struggling to emulate the Playstation 3 on a PC with very little success. Then there is also the issue of copyrights, intellectual property and other stuff.

On the other hand, the hardware capabilities of modern phones trounce those of old consoles from 20, 25, 30 years ago. Plus most companies (that aren’t Nintendo) tend to overlook older consoles being emulated.

Emulators for smartphones

Some very popular emulators for Android and iOS include but are not limited to:

AetherSX2 (PlayStation 2)
Duckstation (Playstation 1)
https://www.nairaland.com/7713880/how-run-ps-1-games
PPSSPP (Playstation Portable)
RetroArch (NES, SNES, N64, Game Boy Advanced)
Dolphin (GameCube, Wii)
Redream (Sega Dreamcast)
ePSXe (Playstation 1)
FPSe (Playstation 1)
Yaba Sanshiro (Sega Saturn)
Skyline (Nintendo switch)
Amongst many others.

Benefits of emulation
1. Emulation brings with it many benefits like:
2. Nostalgia
3. Playing retro games
4. Convenience, portability and mobility
5. Entertainment
6. Access to a wide library of games
7. Keeps you offline
8. Saves your internet data

Android system requirements for emulation

For emulating 8-bit and 16-bit consoles like the Sega Genesis (Mega Drive 2) for example, you’ll need an entry level or budget phone with at least:
* 2GB RAM
* An SoC with 8 A55 or A53 CPUs like Helio G25, Helio G35, Snapdragon 439, Snapdragon 625, Unisoc SC9863A, T606 etc.
* 32-bit Android OS (7.0 and above)

For emulating 32-bit consoles like the PlayStation 1 and some 64-bit consoles like the Nintendo 64, you’ll need a lower midrange phone with at least:
* 4GB RAM
* An SoC with 8 CPUs total (4 A73 or 2 A75 CPUs) like the Snapdragon 680, 685, Helio G80, G85, G88, Dimensity 700, Unisoc T618 etc.
* 64-bit Android OS (8.0 and above)

In emulating 64-bit consoles like the PlayStation 2, Sega Dreamcast, Nintendo Switch etc. You’ll need an upper midrange, flagship killer or flagship phone with at least:
* 6GB RAM
* An SoC with 2 A76 CPUs for base performance, 4 A76, 2 A78, X1, X2 or X3 CPUs for even better performance. These include Snapdragon SoCs like SD732G, 778G, 780G, 855, SD8 Gen 1 and Gen 2. MediaTek SoCs like the Helio G99, Dimensity 820, 920, 8020, 8100, 9000 and 9200. Note that the higher the SoC, the better the emulator performance.
* 64-bit Android OS (10 and above)

Source: https://inquisitiveuniverse.com/2023/05/29/video-game-emulation-and-emulators/

1 Like

Re: Video Game Emulators And Emulation For Smartphones Explained by Ogbemuo: 4:09pm On May 29, 2023
You missed the PS VITA emulator it's still in early development and requires high-end soc for now but the game's that works play's flawlessly.

2 Likes

Re: Video Game Emulators And Emulation For Smartphones Explained by atheistandproud(m): 4:16pm On May 29, 2023
Ogbemuo:
You missed the PS VITA emulator it's still in early development and requires high-end soc for now but the game's that works play's flawlessly.

What's the name of the emulator sir?
Re: Video Game Emulators And Emulation For Smartphones Explained by Ogbemuo: 4:26pm On May 29, 2023
atheistandproud:

What's the name of the emulator sir?
Vita3k
Re: Video Game Emulators And Emulation For Smartphones Explained by atheistandproud(m): 5:41pm On May 29, 2023
Ogbemuo:
Vita3k

Merci beaucoup
Re: Video Game Emulators And Emulation For Smartphones Explained by atheistandproud(m): 9:56am On May 30, 2023
Ogbemuo:
Vita3k

I spent most of yesterday investigating this emulator and it works (image attached).

But it uses Sony's official firmware and that firmware blocks the use of unofficial ROMs. One would need a work dot bin file or a ZRF abi na ZLF key. I just tire.

Re: Video Game Emulators And Emulation For Smartphones Explained by Ogbemuo: 8:42am On May 31, 2023
One thing that's bothering me about mobile gaming is that current gen phone are a power house, take for instance the Qualcomm snapdragon 8 gen 2, is more powerful than the PlayStation 4 but yet we can't get AAA games on Android, like the Nvidia tegra X1 and K1 PS3 games where ported to it exclusively and it's a 2015 soc, yet it was able to play PS3 games perfectly, and current gen soc are more than 10x powerful than that soc. I just wonder why developer's ain't bringing AAA games to android.
Re: Video Game Emulators And Emulation For Smartphones Explained by atheistandproud(m): 11:00am On May 31, 2023
Ogbemuo:
One thing that's bothering me about mobile gaming is that current gen phone are a power house, take for instance the Qualcomm snapdragon 8 gen 2, is more powerful than the PlayStation 4 but yet we can't get AAA games on Android, like the Nvidia tegra X1 and K1 PS3 games where ported to it exclusively and it's a 2015 soc, yet it was able to play PS3 games perfectly, and current gen soc are more than 10x powerful than that soc. I just wonder why developer's ain't bringing AAA games to android.

Three things

1. Profitability

2. Software optimization

3. Hardware optimization
Re: Video Game Emulators And Emulation For Smartphones Explained by Ogbemuo: 11:09am On May 31, 2023
atheistandproud:

Three things

1. Profitability

2. Software optimization

3. Hardware optimization
but you know the tegra X1 and K1 from 2015 PS3 games like, Resident Evil 5, Tomb Raider, Metal gear rising revengance, and so others were ported to the tablet using those soc exclusively, some person were able to make it run on other soc like snapdragon and Samsung Exynos processor using root to achieve it, and that soc was from 2015, which is a 8yrs old, why don't developer's just port old PS3 games to android, current gen android is capable of handling PS3 GAMES if developer's just port to it.
Re: Video Game Emulators And Emulation For Smartphones Explained by atheistandproud(m): 11:36am On May 31, 2023
Ogbemuo:
but you know the tegra X1 and K1 from 2015 PS3 games like, Resident Evil 5, Tomb Raider, Metal gear rising revengance, and so others were ported to the tablet using those soc exclusively, some person were able to make it run on other soc like snapdragon and Samsung Exynos processor using root to achieve it, and that soc was from 2015, which is a 8yrs old, why don't developer's just port old PS3 games to android, current gen android is capable of handling PS3 GAMES if developer's just port to it.

How much can they make from it?

It's all about the money.

Most of the free ports available are usually made by hobbyists. For real devs to make ports like Rockstar did with GTA 3, Vice City and San Andreas, then there's got to be serious money involved.
Re: Video Game Emulators And Emulation For Smartphones Explained by Ogbemuo: 12:16pm On May 31, 2023
atheistandproud:

How much can they make from it?

It's all about the money.

Most of the free ports available are usually made by hobbyists. For real devs to make ports like Rockstar did with GTA 3, Vice City and San Andreas, then there's got to be serious money involved.
That's true though, imagine those games on the play store are $15 each, how many person would want to she'll out that amount for a mobile game.

1 Like

Re: Video Game Emulators And Emulation For Smartphones Explained by atheistandproud(m): 6:08pm On May 31, 2023
Ogbemuo:
That's true though, imagine those games on the play store are $15 each, how many person would want to she'll out that amount for a mobile game.

Exactly
Re: Video Game Emulators And Emulation For Smartphones Explained by kannex: 7:48pm On Jun 26, 2023
Please let not be surprise if the game sell for let say 10-15 dollar people will buy it, there are lot of people who will prefer mobile gaming compare to buying gaming console.. For instance someone like me buy it especially if it can be connected to other player through Bluetooth and wifi, in my street alone i know more than 20 guys that will appreciate this and buy...
So make we no talk say people no go buy...
Re: Video Game Emulators And Emulation For Smartphones Explained by lexrichy(m): 11:09pm On Jun 26, 2023
Most games on andriod are just gacha games, pay to win but i remember andriod had good games like modern combat 3,4 Spiderman. don't know what's wrong with developers now.

1 Like 1 Share

Re: Video Game Emulators And Emulation For Smartphones Explained by atheistandproud(m): 9:06am On Jun 27, 2023
kannex:
Please let not be surprise if the game sell for let say 10-15 dollar people will buy it, there are lot of people who will prefer mobile gaming compare to buying gaming console.. For instance someone like me buy it especially if it can be connected to other player through Bluetooth and wifi, in my street alone i know more than 20 guys that will appreciate this and buy...
So make we no talk say people no go buy...

Only serious gamers that have money will buy. In this economy, how many average people do you think will part with $10 × 700 for a mobile game.

Some people may buy, majority will not, not here. Especially not when the port is of an inferior quality.
Re: Video Game Emulators And Emulation For Smartphones Explained by atheistandproud(m): 9:10am On Jun 27, 2023
lexrichy:
Most games on andriod are just gacha games, pay to win but i remember andriod had good games like modern combat 3,4 Spiderman. don't know what's wrong with developers now.

Bless you.

It's this new money craze that is sweeping the world today. Money money money! It's why I play older games via emulation. No useless ads or prompts or targeted to get me to spend.

Re: Video Game Emulators And Emulation For Smartphones Explained by kannex: 5:11pm On Jul 03, 2023
Bro i just want know where can i download ps2 pes 2022 or 2018 online do you have any download lunk for this game
Re: Video Game Emulators And Emulation For Smartphones Explained by sunshineV(f): 8:16am On Jul 04, 2023
na ps5 emulator I dey wait for now
Re: Video Game Emulators And Emulation For Smartphones Explained by Ogbemuo: 8:38am On Jul 04, 2023
atheistandproud:

Bless you.

It's this new money craze that is sweeping the world today. Money money money! It's why I play older games via emulation. No useless ads or prompts or targeted to get me to spend.

What mobile phone are you using to run those emulators
Re: Video Game Emulators And Emulation For Smartphones Explained by Ogbemuo: 8:45am On Jul 04, 2023
sunshineV:
na ps5 emulator I dey wait for now

We never see PS3 emulator for Android, talk much more of PS5, Funny enough current gen android can emulate PS3 but no developer has done it, the guy who even developed PS2 emulator AetherSX2 had to quit due to life threat from fan's
Re: Video Game Emulators And Emulation For Smartphones Explained by atheistandproud(m): 1:53pm On Jul 04, 2023
Ogbemuo:

What mobile phone are you using to run those emulators

Redmi Note 9 Pro

Snapdragon 720G
Adreno 618
6GB LPDDR4x RAM (1866MHz)
128GB UFS 2.1 storage

I wouldn't advice tho. If I get money, na something with at least Snapdragon 855 I go advice.

Check "Top 100 Smartphone SoCs" on Google to see SoCs around that range
Re: Video Game Emulators And Emulation For Smartphones Explained by kannex: 5:12pm On Jul 04, 2023
Abeg make una answer me nar, please where can i download ps2 pes 2022 or 2018
Re: Video Game Emulators And Emulation For Smartphones Explained by sunshineV(f): 8:07pm On Jul 04, 2023
Ogbemuo:

We never see PS3 emulator for Android, talk much more of PS5, Funny enough current gen android can emulate PS3 but no developer has done it, the guy who even developed PS2 emulator AetherSX2 had to quit due to life threat from fan's
ahhh wahala😂 I go wait taya
Re: Video Game Emulators And Emulation For Smartphones Explained by atheistandproud(m): 9:40pm On Jul 04, 2023
kannex:
Abeg make una answer me nar, please where can i download ps2 pes 2022 or 2018

Replied you on the appropriate thread. Check your mentions
Re: Video Game Emulators And Emulation For Smartphones Explained by Seyilome(m): 11:33pm On Jul 04, 2023
atheistandproud:

Redmi Note 9 Pro

Snapdragon 720G
Adreno 618
128GB UFS 2.1 storage

I wouldn't advice tho. If I get money, na something with at least Snapdragon 855 I go
advice.

Good, I am also planning to buy MI 11 lite 5g , for proper gaming. I like playing emulator games than android games, on emulator there is nothing like pay to win .

1 Like

Re: Video Game Emulators And Emulation For Smartphones Explained by wahalaO(m): 3:07am On Jul 05, 2023
Seyilome:

Good, I am also planning to buy MI 11 lite 5g , for proper gaming. I like playing emulator games than android games, on emulator there is nothing like pay to win .

Some ancient emulated games have better graphics and gameplay than most android games in the market now... And they're offline, and free!
Re: Video Game Emulators And Emulation For Smartphones Explained by Ogbemuo: 9:00am On Jul 05, 2023
atheistandproud:

Redmi Note 9 Pro

Snapdragon 720G
Adreno 618
128GB UFS 2.1 storage

I wouldn't advice tho. If I get money, na something with at least Snapdragon 855 I go advice.

That's a nice SOC am using a phone with Snapdragon 835 planning on updating to at least 888 or 8 gen 1, so i can properly run emulator at full speed.
Re: Video Game Emulators And Emulation For Smartphones Explained by Seyilome(m): 2:58pm On Jul 05, 2023
wahalaO:

Some ancient emulated games have better graphics and gameplay than most android games in the market now... And they're offline, and free!
You actually right, I enjoy playing emulator games,they have good story lines and matured graphics,unlike android games with cartoonist graphics and rigid .

1 Like

Re: Video Game Emulators And Emulation For Smartphones Explained by Purvan(m): 8:52pm On Jul 05, 2023
I don't emulate anything sony or Xbox

Just the classics like Atari , Sega Genesis and Nintendo
Re: Video Game Emulators And Emulation For Smartphones Explained by skywalker240(m): 9:15am On Jul 07, 2023
atheistandproud:

Bless you.

Only if I can see a God of War Ascension or sekiro on that Vita emulator, too bad.

That GOW collection on the psvita must be absolutely boring

Am looking for a nice title with wonderful graphics and nice action gameplay on switch and Vita emulators

Can't even remember my Konami id, as I have stopped playing Android games and all those monitzed Android games, i don't know if FIFA 19 or 20 is available for psvita or switch

god of war ghost of sparter and chains of Olympus, i don play them tire on god mode hardest level back to back on PPSSPP

Android games don't freak anymore, the game's on the emulator's might be Old, but they are comforting and assuring
Re: Video Game Emulators And Emulation For Smartphones Explained by kannex: 10:17am On Jul 07, 2023
Abeg where i fit see pes 2022 ps2 game download abeg who get the link for where i fit download this game...
Re: Video Game Emulators And Emulation For Smartphones Explained by errichamp(m): 11:49am On Nov 02, 2023
I'm all about retro games myself, and I recently fired up an emulator on my phone to dive into Mega Man 2. Speaking of Mega Man 2 boss order, getting that sequence right is like cracking a secret code to victory. Your breakdown of Android system requirements is spot-on. It's good to know what it takes to run those classic games smoothly. And you're right. The nostalgia and convenience of emulation are hard to beat. If you ever want to chat about gaming or need more tips on Mega Man 2 (or anything else retro), hit me up.

(1) (2) (Reply)

Buy Original Small Samsung Button Phones At 11,000 Naira / Phone Browsers / My Glo3g Dilemma

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 56
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.