Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,147,812 members, 7,798,734 topics. Date: Tuesday, 16 April 2024 at 09:33 AM

The Art And Architecture Of Yorubaland! - Culture (11) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Culture / The Art And Architecture Of Yorubaland! (128189 Views)

A Short History Of Yorubaland With Pictures / Art And Architecture Of The Igbo People / Benin Art And Architecture (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) ... (8) (9) (10) (11) (12) (13) (14) ... (16) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: The Art And Architecture Of Yorubaland! by tpia5: 2:20am On Oct 31, 2011
exotik just mainly derails most threads he posts on.

i'm sure he has multiple ids here and this one is only to scatter threads.

wouldnt be surprised if he's masquerading as a yoruba with another id.

well, enjoy your jealousy- na you sabi.
Re: The Art And Architecture Of Yorubaland! by tpia5: 2:21am On Oct 31, 2011
@ topic

i wonder when the crowns changed to the current form.
Re: The Art And Architecture Of Yorubaland! by MOLEN: 2:22am On Oct 31, 2011
Make it sharpy

Re: The Art And Architecture Of Yorubaland! by exotik: 2:31am On Oct 31, 2011
tufia, i can see ur assumptions are as ret@rded as those of fabrinus. so u can kiss my azz
Re: The Art And Architecture Of Yorubaland! by tpia5: 2:34am On Oct 31, 2011
last two posters

dont derail the thread, thanks.

you cant change history, so i'd advise you to deal with your insecurities.
Re: The Art And Architecture Of Yorubaland! by exotik: 2:37am On Oct 31, 2011
shocked
Re: The Art And Architecture Of Yorubaland! by Rgp92: 9:17am On Oct 31, 2011
"Bronze and terracotta art created by this civilization are significant examples of realism in pre-colonial African art.
In his book, "The Oral Traditions in Ile-Ife," Yemi D. Prince referred to the terracotta artists of 900 A.D. as the founders of Art Guilds, cultural schools of philosophy, which today can be likened to many of Europe's old institutions of learning which were originally established as religious bodies. These guilds may well be some of the oldest non-Abrahamic African centres of learning to remain as viable entities in the contemporary world."

cool
Re: The Art And Architecture Of Yorubaland! by NegroNtns(m): 1:34am On Nov 01, 2011
Exotic, now I see where your trouble started from. Ewu!!

You saw everything else in the video but for some reason you missed the map shown in the 2:25 to 2:30 time frame of the second video. Go and replay the video and watch what they are showing then report your igbo ukwu a-s-s back over here and confess your sins. Yeye persin!
Re: The Art And Architecture Of Yorubaland! by exotik: 1:59am On Nov 01, 2011
lol, na so dis igbo-ukwu matter dey pain una? u dey craze.
na me add igbo-ukwu join ife arts? na me be the curator wey say na igbo-ukwu prove say ife na african tradition? u see me for there? or u see anywhere wey dem write my name for the muzoo? na devil go punish u, ewe!
Re: The Art And Architecture Of Yorubaland! by lakal(m): 2:18am On Nov 01, 2011
Everyone, please carry your arguments elsewhere. This is an appreciation thread. Open another thread if you all have beef.
Re: The Art And Architecture Of Yorubaland! by lakal(m): 2:24am On Nov 01, 2011
Now, back to schedule.

Bowl with Figures, Artist: Olowe of Ise (c. 1875-c. 1938), Yoruba peoples, Ekiti region, Nigeria, Early 20th century, Wood, paint

Sculptor to kings, Olowe of Ise is still honored among the Yoruba. His praise song says that he could carve iroko wood as though it was as soft as a gourd. The delicacy and dramatic composition of this bowl exemplify his talent, which embodies the standards of Yoruba art in iconography and proportions yet pushes them to their limits and redefines the rules.
This prestige bowl, owned by someone of high status, likely held kola nuts, a traditional gesture of hospitality presented to guests and offered to deities during rituals.
Re: The Art And Architecture Of Yorubaland! by NegroNtns(m): 2:26am On Nov 01, 2011
lakal,

I apologize for the diversion. I do not tolerate these fools here with their history re-writes.

Exotic, did you see your fatherland in that map? Did you see Igbo ukwu on the map? Na God go punish your land. I go spit tobacco juice for ya eye next time you say something ignorant about Ife or Bini. Efulefu!
Re: The Art And Architecture Of Yorubaland! by lakal(m): 2:28am On Nov 01, 2011

Nigeria, Yoruba, carved lidded bowl in form of an animal, traces of Ricketts blue in the bowl, old patinated finish, marks of cowrie carvings on lid, probably used in divination, 13" l.
Re: The Art And Architecture Of Yorubaland! by NegroNtns(m): 2:28am On Nov 01, 2011
lakal, continue to post jare.  May God Bless you for these enlightenement.   Exotic should sit down and learn from this Majestic throne, instead his bad belle no let am rest.
Re: The Art And Architecture Of Yorubaland! by lakal(m): 2:30am On Nov 01, 2011
[img]http://discoveringbristol.org.uk/images/sized/images/uploads/slavery/Chiefs_stool-400x307.jpg
[/img]
Description:

Chiefs stool.Made by the Yoruba people, Nigeria.

Creator: Yoruba

Date: unknown

Copyright: Copyright BCC Museum
Re: The Art And Architecture Of Yorubaland! by lakal(m): 2:55am On Nov 01, 2011
[img]http://www.barakatgallery.com/Auction/ItemImgs/2299a[/img]

Yoruba Bronze Ritual Bell in the Form of a Face - PF.2299
Origin: Southwesterm Nigeria
Circa: 18 th Century AD to 19 th Century AD
Dimensions: 9.25" (23.5cm) high x 4.25" (10.8cm) wide
Catalogue: V11
Collection: African
Style: Yoruba
Medium: Bronze

This powerful ritual face bell belongs to the Ijebu, the first Yoruba-speaking African peoples to be mentioned in European texts. Among the many fascinating things that Portuguese explorer Durate Pacheco Pereira wrote about the Ijebu in the early sixteenth century, of prime interest was the extraordinary metal working in Ijebuland.
Re: The Art And Architecture Of Yorubaland! by NegroNtns(m): 5:37pm On Nov 02, 2011
lakal,

I noticed that the Museum curator did not use the full figure of the Ooni to narrate the artwork, instead he used the half torso figure. That's unusual.

Also, considering the value and significance of this art as a historical record of cultural civilization, I encourage that the art be given a dissected interpretation here. I suggest someone talk to the meaning of the regalia and the instruments on this art in relation to the person of the Ooni and his throne.

Anyone want to educate us on this art? What do the items on the crown stand for, why are the priests co-joined and why the three legs on #4?
Re: The Art And Architecture Of Yorubaland! by tpia5: 6:01pm On Nov 02, 2011
If by #4 you mean the ooni and his queen who are standing arm in arm , then i already mentioned the three legs could be symbolizing the gbese le tradition of the yorubas.

Do you disagree and if so can you give your own interpretation of what you think it means.

Gbese le in this instance would symbolize the absolute authority of the king.
Re: The Art And Architecture Of Yorubaland! by tpia5: 6:04pm On Nov 02, 2011
And i dont think anyone knows what the tiers on the crown stand for. Maybe the priests in charge of the sculptures might have a general idea but its not yet certain.

I'd like to know when the crowns changed to the present form.

The head ties, caps and other head attire on the other sculptures are still mostly found in yorubaland today so its rather puzzling why the crowns alone changed.
Re: The Art And Architecture Of Yorubaland! by lakal(m): 10:21pm On Nov 02, 2011
Especially for the female figures, I think some of the "crowns" are actually beaded hairstyles of the like still worn by queens (olori) today.

It is interesting that the crown form changed.  However, even the 19th Century brass crown (Ade Ide(?), and sometimes called Ade Obalufon) on one of the previous pages is different from the beaded crowns more commonly seen today (Ade Ileke).
Re: The Art And Architecture Of Yorubaland! by tpia5: 10:26pm On Nov 02, 2011
^ can you post pictures of the ade ide or ade obalufon.

Not sure if I'm familiar with those.

the obalufon sculpture itself doesnt have a crown on.
Re: The Art And Architecture Of Yorubaland! by tpia5: 10:30pm On Nov 02, 2011
Especially for the female figures, I think some of the "crowns" are actually beaded hairstyles of the like still worn by queens (olori) today

the traditional hairstyle for oloris is the suku braid, i believe.

these days i dont think most of them do it anymore but i remember hearing that when i was a kid.

also, could you post the images of the particular female sculptures you're referring to, since some of them actually are wearing crowns.
Re: The Art And Architecture Of Yorubaland! by lakal(m): 11:26pm On Nov 02, 2011
The brass crown:

Crown, Yoruba peoples, Nigeria, Late 19th to early 20th century, Copper alloy

The four staring faces are said to represent the all-seeing gods or ancestors. Their protruding eyes signify when the spiritual eye replaces ordinary vision. The two figures with mudfish legs refer to supernatural powers in two realms, land and water-or reality and spirit. The projecting stem of the crown may allude to stored spiritual power in the wearer's head and also show that the wearer is exempt from everyday chores such as the carrying of loads on one's head.
Re: The Art And Architecture Of Yorubaland! by lakal(m): 11:28pm On Nov 02, 2011
No image on the net of Obalufon's crown (Ade Obalufon), but here is a link to a book dealing in part with that subject:

http://books.google.com/books?id=yYGmzjnR3vsC&pg=PA78&lpg=PA78&dq=crown+of+obalufon&source=bl&ots=CfiXlY-4lk&sig=7E9-MOBZB0_doozPJswjPq0ikAo&hl=en&ei=UMKxTubeKcWQsQKo8OXmAQ&sa=X&oi=book_result&ct=result&resnum=3&ved=0CDEQ6AEwAg#v=onepage&q&f=false

Obalufon is credited with introducing bronze casting at Ife, as well as the settlement where the Ade Obalufon was made, Obo Aiyegunle.
Re: The Art And Architecture Of Yorubaland! by tpia5: 11:31pm On Nov 02, 2011
^^thanks.

will look up the link and wbb.
Re: The Art And Architecture Of Yorubaland! by tpia5: 11:39pm On Nov 02, 2011
i want to look at these images and compare them to the crowns:

[img]http://zoom.mfa.org/fif=sc3%2FSC35672.fpx&obj=iip,1.0&wid=600&cell=600,420&cvt=jpeg[/img]

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Africa_proconsularis

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Septimius_Severus
Re: The Art And Architecture Of Yorubaland! by tpia5: 11:40pm On Nov 02, 2011
Re: The Art And Architecture Of Yorubaland! by tpia5: 3:48am On Nov 03, 2011

Re: The Art And Architecture Of Yorubaland! by tpia5: 3:52am On Nov 03, 2011
Re: The Art And Architecture Of Yorubaland! by tpia5: 4:41am On Nov 03, 2011
some of the crowns:

Re: The Art And Architecture Of Yorubaland! by tpia5: 5:27am On Nov 03, 2011
Re: The Art And Architecture Of Yorubaland! by tpia5: 6:03am On Nov 03, 2011
looks rather like sea coral from that angle.

egyptian red sea coral:

(1) (2) (3) ... (8) (9) (10) (11) (12) (13) (14) ... (16) (Reply)

Traditional Eastern Ijaw Attire In Pictures / The True Extent Of Alaigbo (Igboland) / 18+ Unclad Photos Of African Women Slaves From The Past.

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 36
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.