Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,143,340 members, 7,780,900 topics. Date: Friday, 29 March 2024 at 03:39 AM

The Art And Architecture Of Yorubaland! - Culture (9) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Culture / The Art And Architecture Of Yorubaland! (127776 Views)

A Short History Of Yorubaland With Pictures / Art And Architecture Of The Igbo People / Benin Art And Architecture (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) ... (6) (7) (8) (9) (10) (11) (12) ... (16) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: The Art And Architecture Of Yorubaland! by aljharem(m): 1:35am On Oct 18, 2011

Re: The Art And Architecture Of Yorubaland! by aljharem(m): 1:36am On Oct 18, 2011

Re: The Art And Architecture Of Yorubaland! by aljharem(m): 1:36am On Oct 18, 2011

Re: The Art And Architecture Of Yorubaland! by aljharem(m): 1:37am On Oct 18, 2011

Re: The Art And Architecture Of Yorubaland! by aljharem(m): 1:38am On Oct 18, 2011

Re: The Art And Architecture Of Yorubaland! by aljharem(m): 1:38am On Oct 18, 2011

Re: The Art And Architecture Of Yorubaland! by arsenefc: 1:39am On Oct 18, 2011
tpia@:

i was told my grandma also used to weave on her own loom, but this was long before i was born.

i didnt get to see it.

Of course not. It must be lonely where you live. So loneley you need to relate intimate family occurrence to your anonymous fans.

No kids? No Friends? Fought every relative? Too fugly to have steady man?  What exactly is the problem, Tpia?

I am all ears

Hey, doing my part for humanity. It would be a sad day on earth if you end up blowing yourself up, like most loonies
Re: The Art And Architecture Of Yorubaland! by aljharem(m): 1:39am On Oct 18, 2011

Re: The Art And Architecture Of Yorubaland! by aljharem(m): 1:40am On Oct 18, 2011

Re: The Art And Architecture Of Yorubaland! by aljharem(m): 1:40am On Oct 18, 2011

Re: The Art And Architecture Of Yorubaland! by arsenefc: 1:41am On Oct 18, 2011
Alhaji chill mehn
Re: The Art And Architecture Of Yorubaland! by aljharem(m): 1:41am On Oct 18, 2011

Re: The Art And Architecture Of Yorubaland! by aljharem(m): 1:41am On Oct 18, 2011
arsenefc:

Alhaji chill mehn

LOL

ok  would continue tomorrow

Let me leave u and tpia wink
Re: The Art And Architecture Of Yorubaland! by tpia5: 1:46am On Oct 18, 2011
you need to relate intimate family occurrence to your anonymous fans

unless you lost the semblance of manhood you alledgedly own, i see no reason why you're butting into a discussion about yoruba women industry.

weaving was a common female occupation at one point , in yorubaland.

i guess since you're not yoruba and/or were raised wrongly by lord knows who-probably armed robbers and boko harems- this is all so strange to you.

well, keep learning for free here.

hope you'll imbibe some civilization?

1 Like

Re: The Art And Architecture Of Yorubaland! by arsenefc: 2:21am On Oct 18, 2011
tpia@:

i guess since you're not yoruba and/or were raised wrongly by lord knows who-probably armed robbers and boko harems, this is all so strange to you.

At least I wanst raised in a home where the women weave by day, and suck dyccks at night.

One can only imagine the kind of family legacy your parents may have bequeathed you - probably, laziness, fugliness, sluttiness, 'antisocial-ness' and every bad thing that ends with "ness"
Re: The Art And Architecture Of Yorubaland! by lakal(m): 2:24am On Oct 18, 2011
Abeg, carry una wahala go. This thread is about the art and architecture of Yorubaland.
Re: The Art And Architecture Of Yorubaland! by tpia5: 3:08am On Oct 18, 2011
^^who are you referring to?
Re: The Art And Architecture Of Yorubaland! by NegroNtns(m): 5:52pm On Oct 23, 2011
Lakal, thank you for the picture set in thread # 1 – the Ife busts in the very beginning after the original post.

They are: 1 and 2 - head busts; 3 - torso bust; and 4 - full body cast.

Where did you get the 3 and 4? I have spent years looking for the 4. I saw it long time ago and saved it but lost it with other archived materials in a stolen laptop and could never remember the source for a replacement. God Bless you for bringing it here!

This picture #4 is very interesting.

Nothing says so much and so powerfully to give Yoruba a foothold in the Old Testament (Torah) as this art has done. To those who may not know, this is a high priest in full ritual regalia wearing the Ephod and holding the instruments of authority or divination power (oracle). It also confers the royal sovereign as an extension of that authority or Divine throne (Arsh! - which is where Ashe comes from).

Taken as a whole, the piece clearly depicts the male/female attributes of the GOD-HEAD.
Re: The Art And Architecture Of Yorubaland! by PAGAN9JA(m): 6:05pm On Oct 23, 2011
^^^^^^

Yoruba have nothing to do with Torah. that is Jewish c.rap. undecided
Re: The Art And Architecture Of Yorubaland! by Rgp92: 10:11pm On Oct 23, 2011
Please leave the jew thing out of this cry
Re: The Art And Architecture Of Yorubaland! by PAGAN9JA(m): 12:46pm On Oct 24, 2011
^^^^ tell that to Negro.
Re: The Art And Architecture Of Yorubaland! by amor4ce(m): 10:21pm On Oct 25, 2011
Genesis 15: 12-17
The Amorites were not Egyptians.
The Israelites were not enslaved in Egypt for up to 400 years.
The physical features of the Amorites and the slave coast are the clues to knowing who enslaved Abraham's descendants for 400 years.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Amorite#Physical_appearance
Re: The Art And Architecture Of Yorubaland! by amor4ce(m): 11:59pm On Oct 26, 2011
Negro_Ntns:

Lakal, thank you for the picture set in thread # 1 – the Ife busts in the very beginning after the original post.

They are: 1 and 2 - head busts; 3 - torso bust; and 4 - full body cast.

Where did you get the 3 and 4? I have spent years looking for the 4. I saw it long time ago and saved it but lost it with other archived materials in a stolen laptop and could never remember the source for a replacement. God Bless you for bringing it here!

This picture #4 is very interesting.

Nothing says so much and so powerfully to give Yoruba a foothold in the Old Testament (Torah) as this art has done. To those who may not know, this is a high priest in full ritual regalia wearing the Ephod and holding the instruments of authority or divination power (oracle). It also confers the royal sovereign as an extension of that authority or Divine throne (Arsh! - which is where Ashe comes from).

Taken as a whole, the piece clearly depicts the male/female attributes of the GOD-HEAD.

What would you then say of these pictures below of an Ashanti priest?

Would the full body cast you were referring to then be that of a prophet?
Re: The Art And Architecture Of Yorubaland! by NegroNtns(m): 7:20pm On Oct 27, 2011
Amor4ce,

Regarding that sketch, there are two important things to consider.

1. who drew the sketch ?

If it was done by a white man illustrating his surface experience of Africa and Africans, then it should be taken in the same general regard to their written record of Africans.

If it was done by a black man illustrating the oral history and traditions of a people, then it has greater authenticity and can be taken as part of historical collection.

2. in Nigeria there were three Empires - Oyo Empire, Bini Empire and Bornu Empire. The three are inter-related and share root source. Therefore rituals, customs and traditions will not too be different.

When you look at Ashanti, it was a break-off from Sudan. So I am not surprised to find an Ashanti or a Songhay or a Massina priest wearing ephod.

I want to raise a controversy and declare that Epha, Ipha, Ifa, Eepha are all the same and derived from ephod.
Re: The Art And Architecture Of Yorubaland! by amor4ce(m): 9:52pm On Oct 27, 2011
I want to believe that the sketch was done by a "oyinbo" person.

Are you not referring to the Umim and Thumim? Do you have any pictorial representation and note of the methodology? of this Umim?

How about the Aro confederacy, in addition to the 3 empires you mentioned?
Re: The Art And Architecture Of Yorubaland! by NegroNtns(m): 8:37pm On Oct 28, 2011
Well, let's get it simplified. Have you ever seen an old picture or drawing of a Jewish high priest? Look for one, maybe go to library and get a book on rabbinical canon and if they have illustrations of the priest you might see it in there. You will see him holding some instruments in his hands. I want you to compare them to the instruments held by the priests in #4. Yorubas dont call them Umim and Thumim, Jews do; but whatever we call them they are same instruments.

Also, I want to clarify and make sure that people know what we are talking bout here because it looks like it's getting mixed up a little bit. The Ashanti illustration is depicting breastplate, which is also a part of the high priest clothing or outfit for ceremonial rituals. The BREASTPLATE is different from the OPHED, although the one is a complement to the other.

If you look on the hip of the priests in #4 you will see what looks like a cross belt or a sash that goes diagonally across the belly area and over the chest. This sash is on both sides of the hip and if you dont see it clearly you can make out the outline of it on one of the or the other of the priests. Then you have what look like an aso-oke or OFI (another controversy - is OFI from OPHED?) wrapped around the lower body with an amulet sack dangling in front. This is the OPHED. It has sashes sewn into it and after it is wrapped round the body the sashes are thrown over the shoulders and fastened.

This style of ritual clothing is also copied by some mystical lodges and if you see a member of say, Rosicrucian or Masonic lodge in their official outfit you will notice the cross sash with a sack sitting in the front of the body with a logo or emblem print on it.

This tradition belonged to Noah/Abrahamic age of Old Hebrew.
Re: The Art And Architecture Of Yorubaland! by NegroNtns(m): 8:45pm On Oct 28, 2011
Sorry, I repeated OPHED many times but thats wrong, I meant EPHOD!
Re: The Art And Architecture Of Yorubaland! by amor4ce(m): 9:49pm On Oct 29, 2011
Negro_Ntns, it seems that lakal has replaced the picture of the full body cast that you were referring to. Can you confirm?
Re: The Art And Architecture Of Yorubaland! by tpia5: 11:26pm On Oct 29, 2011
i dont think any picture was replaced (?) but it would help if negro posted the exact sculptures he was referring to.
Re: The Art And Architecture Of Yorubaland! by NegroNtns(m): 4:24pm On Oct 30, 2011
The picture is still there. I dont need to repost just loop back to the picture if you need to.
Re: The Art And Architecture Of Yorubaland! by lakal(m): 5:34pm On Oct 30, 2011
Re: The Art And Architecture Of Yorubaland! by lakal(m): 5:37pm On Oct 30, 2011

(1) (2) (3) ... (6) (7) (8) (9) (10) (11) (12) ... (16) (Reply)

Traditional Eastern Ijaw Attire In Pictures / The True Extent Of Alaigbo (Igboland) / Yoruba Hebrew Heritage

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 32
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.