Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,149,940 members, 7,806,719 topics. Date: Tuesday, 23 April 2024 at 09:47 PM

I Made This Huge Mistake In The Sixth Year Of My Professional Career - Jobs/Vacancies - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Jobs/Vacancies / I Made This Huge Mistake In The Sixth Year Of My Professional Career (16291 Views)

I Made A Huge Mistake That Almost Cost Me My Job. / Deleted FRSC Account By Mistake / Fastrack Your Professional Career In It At Southgate-datanet (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (Reply) (Go Down)

I Made This Huge Mistake In The Sixth Year Of My Professional Career by Hamachi(f): 8:03am On May 31, 2023
I made this huge mistake in the sixth year of my professional career. And it's amongst the few regrets I have…

While it is great to talk about accomplishments-little wins-work in progress- It does take immense courage to admit poor decisions and mistakes.

So, here I am, mustering up that courage to share my tale of woe with you-

I was at the peak of my performance but then I took a decision to switch to another organization for better pay. My decision to quit the company was a poor one.

If I could write a note to my younger self (I swear, I was younger back then) – I’d say:
📍The fundamental reasons to quit were not solid. I was experiencing tremendous learning there and had a great ‘fit’ with the culture and values. It was a mistake not to make the “quit” decision independent of the “join” decision. The quit decision was driven by a fancy title and pay.
📍 I should have evaluated my fit with the new company. It was apparent to me upon joining that I was not a great fit as it had a very different culture and values.

🔍 So- What factors are to be considered when you make the decision to quit? The answer lies in what it does to your real individual growth, your experience algorithm.

Keynotes when making the big career decision:
✅ The decision to quit your current organization and the decision to join a new one are two "different decisions". They are best made independent of each other. Ideally, the decision to quit must be made even before you start to explore and consider outside opportunities.
✅ The decision to quit your current organization should be driven by the fundamental reasons of learning and fit. Learning is about saying your experience algorithm growth has slowed down and the fit is about values and culture. Other reasons like pay, designation, and negative triggers like a temporary bad phase should have a lower weightage in the quit decision.
✅ Will the new place accelerate your real individual growth? Will the new place have a culture and value system where you will fit in and find it easy to deliver? Some key questions to evaluate apart from pay and other prospects.

Well - I do not believe in the “I have zero regrets in life” Policy!
We stumble, we learn & move past them.

I stumbled & did learn!
These are my takeaways from my professional experience- I'd love to hear yours

24 Likes 2 Shares

Re: I Made This Huge Mistake In The Sixth Year Of My Professional Career by Hhansome(m): 8:05am On May 31, 2023
🙌

Dedicated to all the Nigerian youth. We are not lazy.

7 Likes 2 Shares

Re: I Made This Huge Mistake In The Sixth Year Of My Professional Career by Hamachi(f): 10:36am On May 31, 2023
Re: I Made This Huge Mistake In The Sixth Year Of My Professional Career by Healthquest: 8:52am On Jun 11, 2023
Many pple are here today.

My bro want to move too but largely because he didn't see a bright future where he has put in 10yrs and moving out of d country is d best option he's looking at where he thinks can give opportunity to learn n do more and be independent of d current work ethics he faced currently

1 Like

Re: I Made This Huge Mistake In The Sixth Year Of My Professional Career by Kiddogarcia(m): 12:30pm On Jun 12, 2023
O
Re: I Made This Huge Mistake In The Sixth Year Of My Professional Career by Dshocker(m): 12:30pm On Jun 12, 2023
Salary earners are slaves 🤣

Hamachi stop disturbing us with your wrong career move and start a business today, in other to liberate yourself from bondage 👌

8 Likes 1 Share

Re: I Made This Huge Mistake In The Sixth Year Of My Professional Career by harsysky(m): 12:32pm On Jun 12, 2023

Learning is money and money is learning. When you don’t get these from your current organization, try as much as possible to move. Part of learning also is growth.

1 Like

Re: I Made This Huge Mistake In The Sixth Year Of My Professional Career by BrokenCondom: 12:32pm On Jun 12, 2023
Mistakes are things of the past
Re: I Made This Huge Mistake In The Sixth Year Of My Professional Career by PHZADDY1(m): 12:33pm On Jun 12, 2023
Burna Boy's Song"I no fit vex for you"
Omo life e no easy.

Mistakes are part of learning and there's no manual to live.

3 Likes

Re: I Made This Huge Mistake In The Sixth Year Of My Professional Career by Bishop4bella(m): 12:33pm On Jun 12, 2023
So your profession has no name right

2 Likes

Re: I Made This Huge Mistake In The Sixth Year Of My Professional Career by Angelfrost(m): 12:33pm On Jun 12, 2023
Healthquest:
Many pple are here today.

My bro want to move too but largely because he didn't see a bright future where he has put in 10yrs and moving out of d country is d best option he's looking at where he thinks can give opportunity to learn n do more and be independent of d current work ethics he faced currently

If you are waiting for a smooth or perfect transition to another career or organization, then you might as well just remain in that place!

Even if you do proper and thorough due diligence, the transition will still come with attendant pains, setbacks, and some regrets!

This is why some people have refused to move up in life! The nagging fear of the unknown or of the New World!

This is also why a lot of Nigerian workers remain in the Federal or state civil service all their youth and adult lives, then retire without fulfilling their life goals! Fear of starting back at one! The same thing plays out in the private sector or practice!

7 Likes

Re: I Made This Huge Mistake In The Sixth Year Of My Professional Career by BabaCommander: 12:34pm On Jun 12, 2023
It's better to make a mistake and learn that to be overly cautious and regret.

2 Likes

Re: I Made This Huge Mistake In The Sixth Year Of My Professional Career by mcdokwe(m): 12:34pm On Jun 12, 2023
You're right.

Remuneration should never be a reason to quit an organization, in so far as there are learning opportunities and growth potentials.

My brother nearly made a similar mistake, but my mum advised against that, today he is the happier for that singular advise. He has made much more money that a regular salary wouldn't have guaranteed in a lifetime, met people and expanded his influence by simply staying and growing with the company.

2 Likes

Re: I Made This Huge Mistake In The Sixth Year Of My Professional Career by pman06(m): 12:34pm On Jun 12, 2023
Hmmmm. Quite right, pay rise is never a major determining factor, especially if you're still learning the ropes at your current job.
Re: I Made This Huge Mistake In The Sixth Year Of My Professional Career by Kingray10: 12:34pm On Jun 12, 2023
Long throat of higher pay, don put her for one chance.
Na once she turn motivational speaker.
grin grin grin

2 Likes

Re: I Made This Huge Mistake In The Sixth Year Of My Professional Career by PlutoChief: 12:35pm On Jun 12, 2023
Okay
Re: I Made This Huge Mistake In The Sixth Year Of My Professional Career by Padipadi(m): 12:35pm On Jun 12, 2023
Hamachi:
In a nutshell, you didn't sample new job well before quiting existing one. Shit happens. Some v divorced and married worst.
We must live with our decisions whether good or bad.

1 Like

Re: I Made This Huge Mistake In The Sixth Year Of My Professional Career by LOVEGINO(m): 12:36pm On Jun 12, 2023
Na pride dey cause all dis wahala.
Re: I Made This Huge Mistake In The Sixth Year Of My Professional Career by damola1: 12:36pm On Jun 12, 2023
Excellent advice
Re: I Made This Huge Mistake In The Sixth Year Of My Professional Career by Angelfrost(m): 12:36pm On Jun 12, 2023
BabaCommander:
It's better to make a mistake and learn that to be overly cautious and regret.

My exact words above! Thank you!

Tell them!

1 Like

Re: I Made This Huge Mistake In The Sixth Year Of My Professional Career by Nobody: 12:37pm On Jun 12, 2023
grin grin grin
Re: I Made This Huge Mistake In The Sixth Year Of My Professional Career by BigBlackPreek(m): 12:37pm On Jun 12, 2023
Good one
Re: I Made This Huge Mistake In The Sixth Year Of My Professional Career by Cromagnon: 12:38pm On Jun 12, 2023
Hhansome:
🙌

Dedicated to all the Nigerian youth. We are not lazy.
extremely lazy
Re: I Made This Huge Mistake In The Sixth Year Of My Professional Career by blaise26abj(m): 12:39pm On Jun 12, 2023
[quote author=Hamachi post=123480793][/quote]

I agree with most of what you said . But salaries and compensations are a huge factor in the quit decision process . Even companies recognize this and it is usually the first thing they propose whenever they are about to lose a productive staff .

I don’t care much about learning and fit if my salary do not take care of my needs especially when i have acquired a level of experience .

I think this learning issue is one of the things Nigerian employers use to get almost slavish employment terms . Not that it is bad but it is abused in nigeria

5 Likes 2 Shares

Re: I Made This Huge Mistake In The Sixth Year Of My Professional Career by Angelfrost(m): 12:39pm On Jun 12, 2023
Dshocker:
Salary earners are slaves 🤣

Hamachi stop disturbing us with your wrong career move and start a business today, in other to liberate yourself from bondage 👌

Not all Salary earners are doing badly... And not every business owner is flourishing or will ever succeed!

Entrepreneurship is not for everyone!

You shouldn't make such generalizations!

Rather, let people have the time to actually find their places in this world...! If you have all it takes to risk, start, and grow a business, then don't waste your time earning wages or salaries, but if business is not your forte, get a fvcking job, or multiple jobs! You can even save money and invest in people's sound ideas!

3 Likes 1 Share

Re: I Made This Huge Mistake In The Sixth Year Of My Professional Career by YoungLionken(m): 12:40pm On Jun 12, 2023
Motivational speaker grin! "If your desire cannot aspire your retire to timaya.." grin..

Damn all skills acquisition for a better pay. What's the point of learning with little result??

I would rather prefer Wizkid without no BSC than a professor with all the PhD..

I would prefer an "aboki" that rakes in wealth without formal knowledge or skill than his lawyer and/or doctor, with all the skills and professionalism...

1 Like

Re: I Made This Huge Mistake In The Sixth Year Of My Professional Career by bonnyhope: 12:43pm On Jun 12, 2023
[quote author=Hamachi post=123480793][/quote]

Your writing is not concise at all

Too much stories without point

4 Likes

Re: I Made This Huge Mistake In The Sixth Year Of My Professional Career by Homologous: 12:43pm On Jun 12, 2023
bollocks!
No point made, it's as if you were trying to make sense while at the same time you said absolutely nothing.

1 Like

Re: I Made This Huge Mistake In The Sixth Year Of My Professional Career by Bravity1000(m): 12:43pm On Jun 12, 2023
I want to negotiate a better deal for my fellow citizens.

I have taken my time to study the Nigerian situation . I am not at peace with d state of the nation , ranging from economic , political and religious ongoings.

I as machalla of this nation, want to present a 13 point counsel to the president of the Federal Republic of Nigeria(PresidentTinubu) as it concerns the well being of my fellow Nigerians .

The fact that I have been quiet for a very long time does not mean I do not see ills in the system. I am only trying to avoid coming out with statements capable of creating unrest in the nation .

You all know the potency of my voice especially when it is loud . Well, I do not want to speak with loud voice today .

First of all, I want to say an intentional and a relief goodbye to the immediate past President of Nigeria (president Buhari)

Then, I also want to welcome our new president .(President Tinubu). I understand that the task ahead of you in d next four years is not a child's play . This is because of d decadence u inherited from past administrations .

I encourage you not to fidget . Don't be a blame- gamer either as seen in the act of your predecessor.

I enjoin you to listen to d yearnings of the good people of Nigeria. Do not create unnecessary boundaries religiously , ethnic wise and what have you .

You have to ensure there is steady electricity for business to thrive . This will also cushion the effect of the hike in fuel price .

Make sure u do not appoint people based on d role they have played in your personal yard . Nigerians want to see a cabinet capable of turning around the rotten face of the nation .

Corruption must be nailed to d wall.

Let there be employment especially for the teeming Nigerian youths and graduates . You know that "an idle mind is the Devil's workshop".

Look into the baseless rising of food stuff,building materials, house rent and sundries .

Deal with the Eastern part of Nigeria wisely .

Better handling of the oil producing region .

Give top priority to security .

Deal with our health system . Ever increasing health workers migration to other countries must be curbed .

Most importantly ,set up a performance monitory committe, task force or agents ....If u need d modality or the workability of this , contact me personally .

Improve more on electoral process .monetary policies must be favourable to business and business owners .

These are the areas I would imploy this administration to start from and taken seriously . More to follow .....

God bless the President .

God bless Nigeria

Machalla himself, Mona Mike Brave Onaze
Re: I Made This Huge Mistake In The Sixth Year Of My Professional Career by toluleke(m): 12:44pm On Jun 12, 2023
Hmm I am about to quit a government job for a private firm. I want career growth actually. The mediocrity in government job is way too high and they are always routine job. I know I am not making a mistake.

1 Like

(1) (2) (Reply)

Getting A Federal Job Through Federal Character Commission / 7 “downsides” Of Being A First Class Graduate In Nigeria / N-power Batch C Shortlist: How To Fix "Blank Verification Page" Issue

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 36
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.