Stats: 3,149,814 members, 7,806,286 topics. Date: Tuesday, 23 April 2024 at 02:03 PM

Professor Ama Ata Aidoo Dies At 83 - Literature (2) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Entertainment / Literature / Professor Ama Ata Aidoo Dies At 83 (39759 Views)

Professor Wole Soyinka Published A Book Titled "Baiting Igbophobia" / Prof Sophie Oluwole Dies At 83 / Foremost African Philosopher, Prof Sophie Oluwole, Dies At 83 (2) (3) (4)

Re: Professor Ama Ata Aidoo Dies At 83 by ForestHill: 12:45pm On May 31, 2023
Chai mama Africa

Re: Professor Ama Ata Aidoo Dies At 83 by gabbasin: 12:46pm On May 31, 2023
RIP to a great author and playwright. I can't forget "the dilemma of a ghost"

Re: Professor Ama Ata Aidoo Dies At 83 by Etranshub(m): 12:47pm On May 31, 2023
May the soul of the departed rest in peace

Re: Professor Ama Ata Aidoo Dies At 83 by Haveyoueatentod: 12:56pm On May 31, 2023
Burna boy used a snippet of her video in monster you made and as a literatti myself I'm gonna say Rip ma.

Re: Professor Ama Ata Aidoo Dies At 83 by baby124: 1:08pm On May 31, 2023
RIP, Strong woman. May you find peace.

Re: Professor Ama Ata Aidoo Dies At 83 by FashionCookie(f): 1:13pm On May 31, 2023
Eyaaa...Rest well ma. Such a great writer. embarassed

Re: Professor Ama Ata Aidoo Dies At 83 by Svoboda(m): 1:24pm On May 31, 2023
fergie001:
Aidoo speaks on feminism during an interview with BBC Hardtalk

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=W_gJwy9yjrk

Pix: Ama Aidoo with Noviolet Bulawayo at Freedom Park in Lagos (Feb 2014)

Aidoo & Lola Shoneyin...

Rip great writer. But her grandfather could have been killed by colonialists rather than neocolonialists.

Re: Professor Ama Ata Aidoo Dies At 83 by Rocktation(f): 1:24pm On May 31, 2023
Awww..I loved her soo...she and Kagame grin

Sleep on.
Re: Professor Ama Ata Aidoo Dies At 83 by Ratedane: 1:29pm On May 31, 2023
Rip to the death
Re: Professor Ama Ata Aidoo Dies At 83 by 12inchess: 1:29pm On May 31, 2023
Very intelligent woman. She even differentiated between Europe and the western world. Na pesin wey dey think deeply dey talk like this. RIP madam. Africa lost a Gem.

Chimamanda can pick a thing or two from her intelligence and not die on the altar of PO politics and ethnic sentiments. Afterall they are in the same profession

Re: Professor Ama Ata Aidoo Dies At 83 by LOVEALAIGBO: 1:34pm On May 31, 2023
There are names that are instantly recognisable to any studied Nigerian and this is one of them….particularly when the name rhymes and easily rolls of the tongue like Ama Ata Aidoo!

She has earned a place in the pantheon of departed great African literary icons like Flora Nwapa, Cyprian Ekwensi and Chinua Achebe!
Re: Professor Ama Ata Aidoo Dies At 83 by Farfalla(f): 1:58pm On May 31, 2023
Ama Ata Aidoo -- I remember reading her books in school.

May her soul rest in peace.

Re: Professor Ama Ata Aidoo Dies At 83 by Ayodekfarms(m): 2:06pm On May 31, 2023
R I P ma.
Re: Professor Ama Ata Aidoo Dies At 83 by finallybusy: 2:10pm On May 31, 2023
She’s completed her time. Next.
Re: Professor Ama Ata Aidoo Dies At 83 by Glowqueen3(f): 2:25pm On May 31, 2023
Rip to an Erudite Writer,You left your mark on the sand of time,You would be remembered for the legacy you uphold.You are one of the literary giant Africa.Sleep on dear.
Re: Professor Ama Ata Aidoo Dies At 83 by SaLongs1(m): 2:37pm On May 31, 2023
iwaeda:

Deep sorrow at 83, for my village, eba, fish and wine will flow. grin grin grin grin
grin grin Especially as her folks can afford it.
Re: Professor Ama Ata Aidoo Dies At 83 by Burgerlomo: 2:49pm On May 31, 2023
So sad, RIP
Re: Professor Ama Ata Aidoo Dies At 83 by OgunkeelAllMod: 3:00pm On May 31, 2023
Ghana have some of the best world class writers in Africa!next to Kenya! cool if you are a fans of African literature, especially prose ,then you must have heard of Ayi Kwei Amah his novel about Ghana in the early 70s ,80s , titled the 'beautiful ones are not yet born' , still give me the chill!I swear if get indomie generation kind of brain ,you no go fit understand am well,that man na master of the to the English language cool

Re: Professor Ama Ata Aidoo Dies At 83 by Jahwinaboy(m): 3:15pm On May 31, 2023
Rest in Peace Ma. Long live African Writers Series
Re: Professor Ama Ata Aidoo Dies At 83 by AfonjaPriest: 5:38pm On May 31, 2023
dyera:
Aww

I read some of her novels back in junior secondary school.

Popularly known as 'Ababio chemistry'.

I remember when my teacher was challenging us and he told us about a legendary student that read Ababio chemistry from beginning to end four times.

As one of the top students in class I thought, if that guy could do it, then I should also be able to do it. I went and borrowed Ababio chemistry from my classmate with the purpose of reading it from beginning to end.

But even before I finished the first quarter of the textbook I could not continue, because I could not keep up with the countless chemical formulas and equation. They were just too many and it was impossible for me to memorize them.

When I eventually took up physics textbook and saw how I couldn't stop studying it, I came to the conclusion that I was more of a physicist.
I read Holderness and Lambert from beginning to end, three times.
Re: Professor Ama Ata Aidoo Dies At 83 by AfonjaPriest: 5:41pm On May 31, 2023
I read the play, 'Dilemma of a Ghost', when I was in school. I cannot remember what it was all about. Another one I remember reading was 'Trials of Brother Jero'. I never really enjoyed it.
Re: Professor Ama Ata Aidoo Dies At 83 by DelphiOracle(m): 5:54pm On May 31, 2023
I thought it was the same author that wrote the beautiful ones are not yet born.

But where can one find African novels like these to download. Pls I need link.

Wole Soyinka: I Will Not Destroy My US Residential Permit Just Yet. / Naughty By Choice (18+) / Taboo [18+]