Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,148,430 members, 7,800,979 topics. Date: Thursday, 18 April 2024 at 09:33 AM

The Effect Of Fuel Subsidy Removal On The Prices Of Cars - Car Talk - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Car Talk / The Effect Of Fuel Subsidy Removal On The Prices Of Cars (57099 Views)

List Of Cars With Good Fuel Economy / List Of Cars You Should Buy And Enjoy In Nigeria By Twitter User / Thousands Of Cars Including Rolls-Royce & Lambo Rot In Supercar Graveyard In UAE (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (Reply) (Go Down)

The Effect Of Fuel Subsidy Removal On The Prices Of Cars by zeenaman: 9:07am On Jun 02, 2023
Personal opinion:

The relationship between cars and Petrol is complementary in nature. Complementary in the sense that, one is needed to augment the other, just like garri and kulikuli.

Going by basic economics principle, there is an inverse price relationship between complementary goods i.e an increase in the price of one results in decrease in the demand for the other. With this, it is conceivable that with increase in the price of petroleum, there will be less demand for cars, hence result in price crash occasioned by excess supply over demand.

Also, from the angle of the Federal government, the rich benefit more from the subsidy. People with ten cars will now find it unfunny fueling the convoy, and this may result in selling off some of the vehicles. This should further increase the supply of cars and drive down the price.

Let's talk about this, do you see the price of cars crashing? Let's leave out the Nigerian factor, corruption and base our argument on fact.

84 Likes 8 Shares

Re: The Effect Of Fuel Subsidy Removal On The Prices Of Cars by Zaphnath1(m): 9:13am On Jun 02, 2023
ftc
dedicated to my dream car

SHALOM

14 Likes 1 Share

Re: The Effect Of Fuel Subsidy Removal On The Prices Of Cars by SirIconR(m): 9:16am On Jun 02, 2023
Definitely the price of cars will crash

95 Likes 5 Shares

Re: The Effect Of Fuel Subsidy Removal On The Prices Of Cars by oluwatomiwa(m): 9:18am On Jun 02, 2023
Especially the V6 and V8 SUVs

224 Likes 8 Shares

Re: The Effect Of Fuel Subsidy Removal On The Prices Of Cars by ChybuzzDD(m): 12:37pm On Jun 02, 2023
zeenaman:
Personal opinion:

The relationship between cars and Petrol is complementary in nature. Complementary in the sense that, one is needed to augment the other, just like garri and kulikuli.

Going by basic economics principle, there is an inverse price relationship between complementary goods i.e an increase in the price of one results in decrease in the demand for the other. With this, it is conceivable that with increase in the price of petroleum, there will be less demand for cars, hence result in price crash occasioned by excess supply over demand.

Also, from the angle of the Federal government, the rich benefit more from the subsidy. People with ten cars will now find it unfunny fueling the convoy, and this may result in selling off some of the vehicles. This should further increase the supply of cars and drive down the price.

Let's talk about this, do you see the price of cars crashing? Let's leave out the Nigerian factor, corruption and base our argument on fact.

The laws of economics hardly work in Nigeria, probably because of excessive greed.

The price may not crash as expected.

353 Likes 15 Shares

Re: The Effect Of Fuel Subsidy Removal On The Prices Of Cars by Angrygoat: 2:54pm On Jun 02, 2023
Price crash my foot. Cost of toks cars dey go up,cost of naija cars sef go be like between diesel and petrol price. Hahahahaha. Emi lo kan is here stay. Dangote refinery must catch fire

31 Likes 2 Shares

Re: The Effect Of Fuel Subsidy Removal On The Prices Of Cars by soloehis(m): 4:01pm On Jun 02, 2023
Dreaming that fuel price will crash car price using economics principles? Dey play
zeenaman:
Personal opinion:

28 Likes

Re: The Effect Of Fuel Subsidy Removal On The Prices Of Cars by datola: 5:27pm On Jun 02, 2023
Hmmm... Its supposed to force down demand on big engine cars (especially) and as such price fall.

However, this is Nigeria and most times issues like this usually defy any economic reasons.

Let's watch and see.

96 Likes 2 Shares

Re: The Effect Of Fuel Subsidy Removal On The Prices Of Cars by wwwkaycom(m): 3:42pm On Jun 03, 2023
zeenaman:
Personal opinion:

My friend put up his 2008 Nissan Pathfinder for sale since April, as of last week, people were pricing it N1.5m - N1.6m which he didn't agree. Yesterday, two different individuals came to price it N900K and N1.1m and all their excuse was fuel price. My friend is regretting not selling it off last week at N1.5 or N1.6m.
This subsidy removal also has the tendency of raising the prices of small cars with high gas mileages such as Corolla, Civic etc while discouraging heavy consumers like my friends 4.0L V6 Nissan Pathfinder especially Naija used ones.

187 Likes 6 Shares

Re: The Effect Of Fuel Subsidy Removal On The Prices Of Cars by sule944: 4:18pm On Jun 03, 2023
Civic, city and Corolla price will increase.

83 Likes 1 Share

Re: The Effect Of Fuel Subsidy Removal On The Prices Of Cars by fineboynl(m): 6:19pm On Jun 03, 2023
Not just only car. If this new price will stand. It will Bleep this tinubu government.

Tinubu government doesn't need infrastructure. All the infrastructure buhari borrowed money was wasted at the detriment of the economy. Car price is will go up as transport increases and motet part’s follows.
Nothing can crash car price when custom charge is above the roof.

What tinubu need is rearrange the economy.

Because with what I am seeing it's about to get tough.

10 Likes

Re: The Effect Of Fuel Subsidy Removal On The Prices Of Cars by Offpoint1: 5:10pm On Jun 06, 2023
The earlier you realize NO LAW works in Nigeria, the better. If I can afford 10 cars, then fuel is the least of my problem.
What car mean to a White man is different from what it mean to a Black Nigerian.

Nothing will crash, cars are imported.

82 Likes 8 Shares

Re: The Effect Of Fuel Subsidy Removal On The Prices Of Cars by slawomir: 5:10pm On Jun 06, 2023
Damnnn niggar
I don't see any car price crashing

Nothing will crash stop playing ...we are just too greedy in this part of the world

Before the removal of subsidy...a lexus es 350 V6 was sold for between 6.5 million to 7.4million

Go and check again now or wait after one month and check again

Am even thinking people will now buy thier own cars now that fuel price gone up which means public transport will double plus the uncomfortable atmosphere that comes with public transport ...where them dey carry for 200 naira before na 400 naira

From Abuja to Benin city with God is good motor na 27000 thousands naira now...so it will be better you just fuel your own car with 12000 naira and drive from Abuja to Benin city

33 Likes 3 Shares

Re: The Effect Of Fuel Subsidy Removal On The Prices Of Cars by Sunshine34(m): 5:10pm On Jun 06, 2023
G
Re: The Effect Of Fuel Subsidy Removal On The Prices Of Cars by triple996(m): 5:10pm On Jun 06, 2023
We will survive

1 Like 1 Share

Re: The Effect Of Fuel Subsidy Removal On The Prices Of Cars by Peejayz: 5:10pm On Jun 06, 2023
Have nothing to add... But think something is wrong with the headline

2 Likes

Re: The Effect Of Fuel Subsidy Removal On The Prices Of Cars by MANNABBQGRILLS: 5:10pm On Jun 06, 2023
People with ten cars will now find it unfunny fueling the convoy, and this may result in selling off some of the vehicles.
This should further increase the supply of cars and drive down the price.

2 Likes 4 Shares

Re: The Effect Of Fuel Subsidy Removal On The Prices Of Cars by MySexyMoni(f): 5:11pm On Jun 06, 2023
The only thing constant is changes
Re: The Effect Of Fuel Subsidy Removal On The Prices Of Cars by RedChiefPriest: 5:11pm On Jun 06, 2023
I won't be moved if e no lower the price of okada and napep also.

1 Like

Re: The Effect Of Fuel Subsidy Removal On The Prices Of Cars by ManWater: 5:11pm On Jun 06, 2023
Fuel-economy will now be a major factor for most Nigerians in buying a car.
So demand for such cars as Corolla will increase, & so also the price.

10 Likes 1 Share

Re: The Effect Of Fuel Subsidy Removal On The Prices Of Cars by lanre4islam(m): 5:11pm On Jun 06, 2023
Hmmmm

1 Like 1 Share

Re: The Effect Of Fuel Subsidy Removal On The Prices Of Cars by Finesse247: 5:12pm On Jun 06, 2023
W

1 Like

Re: The Effect Of Fuel Subsidy Removal On The Prices Of Cars by Tonnierichy(m): 5:12pm On Jun 06, 2023
Ibadan drivers deserve some accolades. They've not hiked their fares too much. I wonder how they cope those ones.

46 Likes 2 Shares

Re: The Effect Of Fuel Subsidy Removal On The Prices Of Cars by Allvendor: 5:12pm On Jun 06, 2023
No traffic in Lagos since this thing don start

31 Likes 2 Shares

Re: The Effect Of Fuel Subsidy Removal On The Prices Of Cars by ugodson(m): 5:12pm On Jun 06, 2023
Zaphnath1:
ftc
dedicated to my dream car

SHALOM

What's your dream car

2 Likes

Re: The Effect Of Fuel Subsidy Removal On The Prices Of Cars by Wealthoptulent(m): 5:13pm On Jun 06, 2023
grin cheesy.. good is good motor

@ op obviously, even BICYCLE SELLERS just inflated Prices.

Here we have a lot of Diesel cars here than petrol, but some major factors determine if u need a car or not, which are maintenance, Tax, MOT, and lastly Fuel. So most of us only use personal cars weekend and opt for Public during the week, its helps reduces expenses, then increase in life span of our cars.

If the Nigeria Federal Government can provide good Transportation services, promptly and adequately connections citizen, I think less of purchasing cars will go down drastically.

So currently, I am not sure the FACT that increase in Fuel will reduce Purchase of car is not relevant in Nigeria, Only thing that this will lead to is hike in prices of Transportation n commodities. Then we can now talk about reduction n discipline in going out to unnecessary places.
As car seller, it will only affect some particular specs or brands in cars
E.g V6, L6 , V8, L8 engine types
Also Brands like LEXUS, BENZ, BMW, GMC are so on.
[b]Increase in prices of Brand like TOYOTA [COROLLA)] ETC, and generally HYBRID & Electric car [/b]can be put into consideration [Nigerians will need Modern technicians to do well , not Kazeem n aje [witch] rewires.

oluwatomiwa:
Especially the V6 and V8 SUVs
EXACTLY my point.

8 Likes 1 Share

Re: The Effect Of Fuel Subsidy Removal On The Prices Of Cars by princeemma69: 5:13pm On Jun 06, 2023
It will not crash, this is Nigeria. It will only crash if the dollar falls against the Naira in the coming days.

9 Likes

Re: The Effect Of Fuel Subsidy Removal On The Prices Of Cars by sirjoggy(m): 5:13pm On Jun 06, 2023
I want to learn

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (Reply)

Obi Okeke Buys Arnold Schwarzenegger's Bugatti For $2.5m (Photos) / Are These Not The Most Creative Bus Advertising You Have Ever Seen? (PHOTOS) / Coscharis Delivers Rolls-Royce Cullinan To Bolu Akin-Olugbade, First In Nigeria

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 39
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.