Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,150,377 members, 7,808,341 topics. Date: Thursday, 25 April 2024 at 10:35 AM

Benin Republic Citizens Bemoan Fuel Subsidy Removal, Nigerians React - Politics (3) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Politics / Benin Republic Citizens Bemoan Fuel Subsidy Removal, Nigerians React (91796 Views)

Fuel Subsidy Removal Nigerians Cries Out / Northern Elders Bemoan Insecurity, Ask Buhari To Resign / North-East Govs Bemoan Inability To Try Boko Haram Suspects (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10) ... (14) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: Benin Republic Citizens Bemoan Fuel Subsidy Removal, Nigerians React by Ken4Christ: 3:15pm On Jun 02, 2023
nairalanda1:
Fuel in Benin is N489 right now.

And right now, fuel in Nigeria is N488-540 per liter.

At the end of the day, smugglers cannot make a profit at all. Removing subsidy has made it difficult for anyone to smuggle fuel across the border.

And people ask me why I say subsidy must go...well here is one good reason. grin

Modified

If fuel was still N195, and I was living on the border, I can buy fuel into two 50l jerrycans, at N19500, cross the broder and sell it at dobule the price, and earn a cool N40000. Note that it was not only big cabals involved in the smuggling...it was also small poor boys and gals too.

Nigeria should fix our refineries to operate to full capacity and supply other West Africa countries fuel. And by so doing, make so much money.

But because of selfishness, they destroyed our refineries and buy share in Dangote refinery making themselves rich at the expense of the nation. What a country.

7 Likes

Re: Benin Republic Citizens Bemoan Fuel Subsidy Removal, Nigerians React by tonididdy(m): 3:15pm On Jun 02, 2023
BS stories!

Because of a few smugglers, you put an entire nation in extra hardship to remove an imaginary subsidy!

Is tikibu not a beneficiary of the smuggling? Is he not the Grand owner of the entire west?

2 Likes 3 Shares

Re: Benin Republic Citizens Bemoan Fuel Subsidy Removal, Nigerians React by goodness4ever(m): 3:15pm On Jun 02, 2023
Good development. Enough of wastage in Nigeria.

7 Likes

Re: Benin Republic Citizens Bemoan Fuel Subsidy Removal, Nigerians React by flokii: 3:15pm On Jun 02, 2023
Nice one.. make the petroleum sector unattractive to smugglers and saboteurs.

My Ghana people how una dey?.. una gas money don dey pile up. We need you guys to pay up.

17 Likes 2 Shares

Re: Benin Republic Citizens Bemoan Fuel Subsidy Removal, Nigerians React by justmi1: 3:15pm On Jun 02, 2023
Bobloco:

This is pure propaganda

How is these products finding their way to those countries. No one have been sacked for not doing his job in securing our borders or arrested by the security agencies for smuggling

Instead of tackling the issues, they keep running
around
move around bro and don't be quick to condemn government at every opportunity. I was in benin Republic last month: I travelled via boat from cms to Porto novo. Our boat driver stopped along the way to carry atleast 200 litres of fuel on that trip alone into benin Republic. For days I didn't see a functioning fuel station except fuel sold freely in kegs on the street at N500 plus in naira equivalent. The system is bad from top to bottom, but removing subsidy is a more holistic approach.

38 Likes 2 Shares

Re: Benin Republic Citizens Bemoan Fuel Subsidy Removal, Nigerians React by nairalanda1(m): 3:16pm On Jun 02, 2023
ZombiePUNISHER:

Where was this your sense in 2012 when Jonathan removed fuel subsidy
you went to ojota with Tinubu to embarrass your generation..

Why can't a responsible government man her boarders... just like saying because of bandits farmers can't go to the farm.. why can't the government eradicate them?..

where you a tout in 2012?

In 2011 my eyes got.opened to how bad subsidy was for our economy

Since then subsidy has been evil for me.

6 Likes

Re: Benin Republic Citizens Bemoan Fuel Subsidy Removal, Nigerians React by BreconHills(m): 3:16pm On Jun 02, 2023
Bobloco:
I knew that they will come out with this propaganda

We are waiting for Niger, Togo, Chad and Cameroon

All to justify this thoughtless decision by Tinubu

Instead of fixing refineries, blocking leakages, having an effective and efficient border patrol to arrest and prosecute these smugglers

You don't understand? There is NO money for subsidy. Please if you or PO can find the money for subsidy Nigeria will take it. What's so hard to understand and you are here speaking English. Money c'est fini. Abi?

The PIA that everyone was asking PMB to pass had April as the terminal date for ending subsidy. It might even have been earlier. Government started taking money from NNPC to fund subsidy. NNPC is now a private company and it is saying it can't do beyond June.

We've been trying to remove this subsidy since 1982 and it's people like you and the NLC that have been holding us back. NLC that couldn't speak up for workers during covid wants to start roaring like a mouse now.

34 Likes 1 Share

Re: Benin Republic Citizens Bemoan Fuel Subsidy Removal, Nigerians React by Ever8090: 3:16pm On Jun 02, 2023
Bobloco:

Instead of fixing refineries, blocking leakages, having an effective and efficient border patrol to arrest and prosecute these smugglers
even if they give you to secure our borders to prevent oil smuggling, as an Igbo man, you will collect your own share and allow the smuggling to even increase so that you will earn more money...

31 Likes

Re: Benin Republic Citizens Bemoan Fuel Subsidy Removal, Nigerians React by oyebanji44: 3:16pm On Jun 02, 2023
Nigerians are so corrupt..if given an opportunity as well as a chance we will destroy this country by ourselves

seunmsg:

It is true. I was in Port Novo last year and I saw how they all buy fuel from road side instead of petrol stations.

7 Likes

Re: Benin Republic Citizens Bemoan Fuel Subsidy Removal, Nigerians React by nairalanda1(m): 3:18pm On Jun 02, 2023
Ken4Christ:

Nigeria should fix our refineries to operate to full capacity and supply other West Africa countries fuel. And by so doing, make so much money.

But because of selfishness, they destroyed our refineries and buy share in Dangote refinery making themselves rich at the expense of the nation. What a country.

NNPC is hard at work fixing the refineries

There are 4 private refineries around

BUA has a 200000 bpd refinery that would be ready soon.

And there are 16 extant licences issued for refineries

Apart from Dangote

18 Likes

Re: Benin Republic Citizens Bemoan Fuel Subsidy Removal, Nigerians React by kevoh(m): 3:19pm On Jun 02, 2023
Bobloco:

This is pure propaganda

How is these products finding their way to those countries. No one have been sacked for not doing his job in securing our borders or arrested by the security agencies for smuggling
This has nothing to do with propaganda. I have witnessed that of Benin Republic way back in 2012 even to the smallest level of loading motorbikes built specially to carry minimum 200 litres. It's not just Benin. Other border towns in Niger, Cameroon etc. are also huge beneficiaries of smuggled subsidized Nigerian fuel.

If you had strolled to border towns before now, you would have witnessed this first hand!

19 Likes 2 Shares

Re: Benin Republic Citizens Bemoan Fuel Subsidy Removal, Nigerians React by nihinlade(m): 3:19pm On Jun 02, 2023
The thing is, black market is cheaper in their own country because smugglers buy from Nigeria and smuggle into Benin Republic.

20 Likes

Re: Benin Republic Citizens Bemoan Fuel Subsidy Removal, Nigerians React by Nobody: 3:19pm On Jun 02, 2023
cool The Western world is please, it remains if Nigeria can still continue as an OPEC member since high price will hurt us indirectly,make we join Russia dey sell our Oil at the volume we please but at reasonable price ... before awon set Elon Musk take over ... meanwhile companies should start encouraging virtual officing ...no be everybody suppose dey come office .. Unfortunately IBEDC don go off almost 72 hours now with 30 minutes blink ... This country ti su mi o ...

13 Likes 2 Shares

Re: Benin Republic Citizens Bemoan Fuel Subsidy Removal, Nigerians React by kosiebe(m): 3:19pm On Jun 02, 2023
Bobloco:

This is pure propaganda

Instead of tackling the issues, they keep running around
You be Idiot

19 Likes

Re: Benin Republic Citizens Bemoan Fuel Subsidy Removal, Nigerians React by kay29000(m): 3:19pm On Jun 02, 2023
OldBeer:
Nigerians weigh in grin

Mynd44, nlfpmod, dominique, Seun

"Kpayo kill all of una for that country." grin grin

This made me laugh grin

15 Likes

Re: Benin Republic Citizens Bemoan Fuel Subsidy Removal, Nigerians React by Biodun556(m): 3:20pm On Jun 02, 2023
sonature1:
All I know is that Nigerians don't take this country seriously. There's no way Benin Republic will be enjoying our subsidy without Nigerian customs and other border patrol agencies getting their share of the largasse.

Customs were involved because it was profitable but now the refers is the case

6 Likes

Re: Benin Republic Citizens Bemoan Fuel Subsidy Removal, Nigerians React by NoToPile: 3:21pm On Jun 02, 2023
backnbeta:
He can subsidize and block leakages undecided

Leakages can't be blocked totally because of our greed. An average Nigerian always find a way to cheat / beat the system

You need to live around boarder communities to fully understand the level of this madness.

Even the officer that is supposed to block the leakage will collect bribe and comot face.

25 Likes

Re: Benin Republic Citizens Bemoan Fuel Subsidy Removal, Nigerians React by Alvin212(m): 3:21pm On Jun 02, 2023
No hiding place for Ewedu and Amala people

Even in Benin republic
Re: Benin Republic Citizens Bemoan Fuel Subsidy Removal, Nigerians React by HellVictorinho6(m): 3:22pm On Jun 02, 2023
Whatever
Re: Benin Republic Citizens Bemoan Fuel Subsidy Removal, Nigerians React by babyfaceafrica: 3:22pm On Jun 02, 2023
Bobloco:

This is pure propaganda

Have you resided around the borders towns before?

17 Likes

Re: Benin Republic Citizens Bemoan Fuel Subsidy Removal, Nigerians React by omoadeleye(m): 3:22pm On Jun 02, 2023
Bobloco:

Oloribuku eyan ku ni iwo... Dem no dey do great things for your family.

Omo ale. Enkr

24 Likes 2 Shares

Re: Benin Republic Citizens Bemoan Fuel Subsidy Removal, Nigerians React by Femich18(m): 3:24pm On Jun 02, 2023
NoToPile:

Those of you doubting this smuggling stuff know nothing.

These people even transport/smuggle petrol in jerrycans with boats.

grin grin grin
How did you know this?
But sincerely you are very right. That's how boys do it there. Im From there. Anytime we go home we see boys running biz through the waterways

16 Likes

Re: Benin Republic Citizens Bemoan Fuel Subsidy Removal, Nigerians React by Nobody: 3:26pm On Jun 02, 2023
Bobloco:

This is pure propaganda

What that first gentleman told you is true. There's no propaganda as regards this particular issue.

In the course of my early hustling years, I was a pivotal part of a smuggling ring that moves subsidised petroleum products to Cameroon through road and water. Profits realised on every liter of fuel was enough to grease palms of officials on both divides of the border. Of course the process wasn't cheap and had its risk, but when you return home with a waist bag full of notes that you won't even bother to count before you head out the next day to rinse and repeat, you'll understand that the risk is nothing. I wasn't even involved on a full time basis cause I was in the University then, but the two or three trips I made per week, coupled with my small transport business on the side, all gave me enough money to live large as a student.

This shit is real! And 80percent of these smuggle rings are led by politicians, top military officers and hell, I even knew a ring that was owned by a church pastor.

37 Likes 6 Shares

Re: Benin Republic Citizens Bemoan Fuel Subsidy Removal, Nigerians React by GeneralPula: 3:26pm On Jun 02, 2023
sonature1:
All I know is that Nigerians don't take this country seriously. There's no way Benin Republic will be enjoying our subsidy without Nigerian customs and other border patrol agencies getting their share of the largasse.
See you..

They’re doing it strongly! It’s called smuggling! Not only Benin, many Africa countries..

Regarding the customs. It’s in 2 ways;
1) They can bribe customs if they’re caught..

2) Smugglers too are wise! They’re just like drug-dealers in-terms of operating style. They have Smuggling route.

Fuel is not the only thing they’re smuggling from Nigeria. Eg, our bottle water is #100? They’ll smuggle it to benin and sell at double price because bottle water is costlier in Benin 🇧🇯. So, instead of make benin people buy our bottle water thru normal export from Nigeria, they prefer the smuggling route cuz it’s cheaper with no stress..

14 Likes

Re: Benin Republic Citizens Bemoan Fuel Subsidy Removal, Nigerians React by kay29000(m): 3:26pm On Jun 02, 2023
nafisu:
my time there, I didn't even know they had fuel stations, almost everyone bought from roadside.fuel everyone knew where it came from.

Wow! Imagine. I heard same thing happens in Chad and Togo too.

12 Likes

Re: Benin Republic Citizens Bemoan Fuel Subsidy Removal, Nigerians React by thatigboman: 3:27pm On Jun 02, 2023
nairalanda1:
At the end, we can't be subsidizing the whole of West Africa.

u people should stop deceiving yourselves. We produce crude oil and can't be expected to pay the same price for fuel as our neighbours that don't produce crude oil. Because government has failed to secure our borders, so ordinary citizens should bear the brunt of our goat's inefficiency.
Mind you, subsidy has not been removed.
Trust me, 15 years from now, you will still hear of subsidy in Nigeria. What's done is just outsreanous increase in the price of fuel.

2 Likes 2 Shares

Re: Benin Republic Citizens Bemoan Fuel Subsidy Removal, Nigerians React by happney65: 3:27pm On Jun 02, 2023
Bobloco:

They are masters at it. High end propaganda
Re: Benin Republic Citizens Bemoan Fuel Subsidy Removal, Nigerians React by NoToPile: 3:27pm On Jun 02, 2023
Femich18:

grin grin grin
How did you know this?
But sincerely you are very right. That's how boys do it there. Im From there. Anytime we go home we see boys running biz through the waterways

Loool , I hail una ooo.
Re: Benin Republic Citizens Bemoan Fuel Subsidy Removal, Nigerians React by 9gerian: 3:29pm On Jun 02, 2023
If you live in the border town, you will find a way including compromising border officials, diabolical means and even attacking anyone who tries to prevent you from benefiting from a very low hanging fruit that is used to compensate for the abandonment (by adjoining countries) that such areas experience naturally as a result of their geographical location.

Bobloco:

This is pure propaganda

10 Likes

Re: Benin Republic Citizens Bemoan Fuel Subsidy Removal, Nigerians React by kay29000(m): 3:30pm On Jun 02, 2023
renderme:

That twitter handle Actualities229 is a popular Benin republic handle that posts political news. It's not a blogger nor a random handle dt started yesterday, Mr obidient.

Bro, there is nothing you can tell people like that guy, they only believe what they want to believe.

11 Likes

Re: Benin Republic Citizens Bemoan Fuel Subsidy Removal, Nigerians React by austinvsb: 3:31pm On Jun 02, 2023
Bobloco:

The problem with your thought process is thinking that the subsidy cabal have not been fighting tooth and nail to stop the implementation of this processes you highlighted. PBAT will not carry spanner to go fix refineries himself, and as long as subsidy remains, the cabal will jeopardize any process possible that would stop their free moneys.

9 Likes

Re: Benin Republic Citizens Bemoan Fuel Subsidy Removal, Nigerians React by kay29000(m): 3:31pm On Jun 02, 2023
2mch:
Benin Republic no suppose be country. E suppose be State of Nigeria. Them and Togo. They are too small with too little resources to survive on their own.

Exactly. They should have been part of south west Nigeria.

1 Like

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10) ... (14) (Reply)

Hameed Ali Marries Zainab Abdullahi As New Wife (Photos) / THE TRUE FACE OF THE NORTH / Ganduje Dollar Video Played On Edo Biggest Roundabout Billboard

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 50
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.