Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,149,890 members, 7,806,588 topics. Date: Tuesday, 23 April 2024 at 06:42 PM

Falana Says NNPC’s Decision To Increase Pump Price Of Petrol Is Illegal - Politics (4) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Politics / Falana Says NNPC’s Decision To Increase Pump Price Of Petrol Is Illegal (18791 Views)

Hushpuppi: Falana Says Abba Kyari Will Face Trial No Matter How Long It Takes / Bayelsa Election: Falana Says Supreme Court Is Wrong, Lacks Jurisdiction / "APC Can't Remove Saraki Without Two-Third Majority" - Falana Says (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: Falana Says NNPC’s Decision To Increase Pump Price Of Petrol Is Illegal by lordm(m): 2:48pm On Jun 03, 2023
They should bring back the subsidy o
Re: Falana Says NNPC’s Decision To Increase Pump Price Of Petrol Is Illegal by Gajagojo: 2:55pm On Jun 03, 2023
emorse:

Nope. Accountability will not fall from the sky. It will be ensured by any serious government using any means necessary.
And serious government will happen when? Because you think it is desirable?
It is like saying we shouldn't need police if people are honest and behave properly

The evidence in front of us is that Nigerian government cannot run business in 2023.
So we must deal with 2023 reality today
When we can run an airport or police station or secondary school properly we can aspire to other things but let is stop deceiving ourselves
Re: Falana Says NNPC’s Decision To Increase Pump Price Of Petrol Is Illegal by emorse(m): 3:00pm On Jun 03, 2023
Gajagojo:

Privatisation is not the corollary to government not being in business so you are confusing yourself

Dangote refinery was built from scratch. Not by privatisation of an existing facility
The power sector is not just about generation
There is transmission too.
So the constitutional framework needed to open the space
Thankfully that has now happened and state governments can now do their thing

So you are not comparing like with like
The issue is to make the space attractive to investors and we have seen that with the Deep sea port Lekkiand Dangote refinery both de novo investments NOT privatised facilities
Opening transmission and more state government autonomy
Quite apart from that is the issue of attracting investment
Investors must believe the country is safe and they can get their money out.
No foreigner was going to have the kind of confidence in Nigeria that Dangote has so capital is a problem.
Also the CBN exchange rate policy.
So all round you do not understand the issues and are mixing them up
Brilliant explanation but in summary, it means our problems are multi-faceted. It also means handing off the business space cannot singularly fix things. At least that's my take out (Please correct me if I'm wrong). And we've all known that for ages.

I still believe that a serious and well meaning government should not abdicate it's responsibility. It should instead tackle them head on. Ensure accountability and you'll be surprised how much you'll achieve in such a little time.
Re: Falana Says NNPC’s Decision To Increase Pump Price Of Petrol Is Illegal by wildernessVoice: 3:01pm On Jun 03, 2023
sapele914:
Stop laying curses on yourself, in your oblivious ignorance.

On 16th August 2021, President Muhammadu Buhari signed the much awaited Petroleum Industry Bill (PIB or "the Bill"wink 2021 into law. This was confirmed in a statement issued by the Special Adviser to the President on Media and Publicity, Femi Adesina

Where was Falana when PIB pass through all the legislative process at NASS up to presidential assent.
Re: Falana Says NNPC’s Decision To Increase Pump Price Of Petrol Is Illegal by emorse(m): 3:06pm On Jun 03, 2023
Gajagojo:

And serious government will happen when? Because you think it is desirable?
It is like saying we shouldn't need police if people are honest and behave properly

The evidence in front of us is that Nigerian government cannot run business in 2023.
So we must deal with 2023 reality today
When we can run an airport or police station or secondary school properly we can aspire to other things but let is stop deceiving ourselves
You nailed my point exactly bro. We need the police to ensure law and order. We need to punish rapists to discourage others from rape. We need our government to ensure accountability.

As to when a serious government will happen, when we stop making excuses for them. They are elected to do a job. Let them do it and stop passing the buck to the table of the masses. It has never worked that way. I doubt if it will work now.
Re: Falana Says NNPC’s Decision To Increase Pump Price Of Petrol Is Illegal by Mickykarim: 3:06pm On Jun 03, 2023
ogododo:

https://www.channelstv.com/2023/06/02/nnpcs-decision-to-increase-pump-price-of-petrol-is-illegal-says-falana/

WHAT IS THE SPENT LAWYER TALKING ABOUT?

If a limited liability company cannot and should not fix the price of its products?

IT IS ABOUT TIME Femi Falana STOP THE MISINFORMATION AND OR UNINFORMED MENTALITY AND DESIST FROM THIS THOUGHTLESSNESS.
Re: Falana Says NNPC’s Decision To Increase Pump Price Of Petrol Is Illegal by Gajagojo: 3:13pm On Jun 03, 2023
emorse:

You nailed my point exactly bro. We need the police to ensure law and order. We need to punish rapists to discourage others from rape. We need our government to ensure accountability.

As to when a serious government will happen, when we stop making excuses for them. They are elected to do a job. Let them do it and stop passing the buck to the table of the masses. It has never worked that way. I doubt if it will work now.
We need our government to ensure accountability but after 60 years they haven't so anyone with sense should know that is not an immediate possibility.
It won't happen in 60 days
We need to face reality
That reality is we are not capable of running a refinery by government in 2023
The issue is not about making or not making excuses but building capacity.
we don'thave capacity across society. It is not just government so pretending government alone can fix society is self deception.
Government is made up of Nigerians who have the same pervasive mentality of dishonesty,superstition and clannishness. That is work for an entire generation .
Those of us alive now do not have time to wait for that to happen
We do not have time for theoretical self indulgent pontificating
Let the private sector run refineries
Re: Falana Says NNPC’s Decision To Increase Pump Price Of Petrol Is Illegal by gabbytabby: 3:19pm On Jun 03, 2023
AGO and DPK account for less than 10% and had no impact because marketeers just increased the amount on petrol and they ended up receiving even more than they were paid with all included.

emorse:

They said exactly the same thing when they removed subsidy from AGO, DPK and most recently, power. I will not insult you by asking what the power situation in your area is like.
Re: Falana Says NNPC’s Decision To Increase Pump Price Of Petrol Is Illegal by emorse(m): 3:26pm On Jun 03, 2023
Gajagojo:

We need our government to ensure accountability but after 60 years they haven't so anyone with sense should know that is not an immediate possibility.
It won't happen in 60 days
We need to face reality
That reality is as are not capable of running a refinery by government in 2023
The issue is not about making or not making excuses but building capacity.
have capacity across society. It is not just government so pretending government alone can fix society is self deception.
Government is made up of Nigerians who have the same pervasive mentality of dishonesty,superstition and clannishness. That is work for an entire generation .
Those of us alive now do not join have time to wait for that to happen
We do not
That it has not been done doesn't mean it cannot be done. I'm an optimist like that. With the right person at the helm and the will to make things work, we can achieve the unimaginable.

Some states only started running businesses after one did it successfully (many are still reluctant though). One man is what it will take for things to work at the national level. Dora Akunyuli played her part in NAFDAC despite being from amongst "Nigerians who have the same pervasive mentality of dishonesty, superstition and clannishness".

Regardless of your subtle insults all through this conversation, thanks for your time bro. It was nice testing ideas with you.
Re: Falana Says NNPC’s Decision To Increase Pump Price Of Petrol Is Illegal by Gajagojo: 3:30pm On Jun 03, 2023
emorse:

That it has not been done doesn't mean it cannot be done. I'm an optimist like that. With the right person at the helm and the will to make things work, we can achieve the unimaginable.

Some states only started running businesses after one did it successfully (many are still reluctant though). One man is what it will take for things to work at the national level. Dora Akunyuli played her part in NAFDAC despite being from amongst "Nigerians who have the same pervasive mentality of dishonesty, superstition and clannishness".

Regardless of your subtle insults all through this conversation, thanks for your time bro. It was nice testing ideas with you.
Anything is possible in a classroom
I am interested not in what is possible but reality backed up with plans
The FG of Nigeria cannot operate a refinery in 2023
Re: Falana Says NNPC’s Decision To Increase Pump Price Of Petrol Is Illegal by emorse(m): 3:32pm On Jun 03, 2023
gabbytabby:
AGO and DPK account for less than 10% and had no impact because marketeers just increased the amount on petrol and they ended up receiving even more than they were paid with all included.

Power nko? Me I no see impact o. Things should sha work. We can't continue to hope endlessly on the same things.
Re: Falana Says NNPC’s Decision To Increase Pump Price Of Petrol Is Illegal by Dittodat: 3:36pm On Jun 03, 2023
Vinnie2000:

NNPC are working with APC and Dangote to Milk this Country and Nigerians Dry! : embarassed cry

How can Dangote launch his Refinery and within 2,3 Days, Tinubu announces Removal of subsidy?😒

It will NEVER be well with APC and even Dangote! 😕
Another brainwashed IPOB retard. So when your IPOB slave master said previously that he will remove subsidies immediately, he was also thinking of working to milk you with Dangote abi? Too many dumb dumb in Nigeria.
Re: Falana Says NNPC’s Decision To Increase Pump Price Of Petrol Is Illegal by gabbytabby: 3:40pm On Jun 03, 2023
I did not know that they removed on power cos i still pay the same. They did buy meters and have issued them for free. I already paid so mine was not free. There is a lot of wastages in this sector. People are still using 100watts bulb all mine is 5watts.

Incentive has to move away from people being paid money to tax incentives to people who are committed and invested in local production. They are invested in making it work.

They also need to encourage move to renewable like solar. I only need petrol for the car as I choose to go on solar for my home. When it was nepa and generator I had 3 big freezer/fridge but moved to 2 with solar inverter to be changed to a medium freezer and small fridge. I don't have to deal with nepa light fluctuations. I think MTN have pay small small.

emorse:

Power nko? Me I no see impact o. Things should sha work. We can't continue to hope endlessly on the same things.
Re: Falana Says NNPC’s Decision To Increase Pump Price Of Petrol Is Illegal by emorse(m): 3:51pm On Jun 03, 2023
gabbytabby:
I did not know that they removed on power cos i still pay the same. They did buy meters and have issued them for free. I already paid so mine was not free. There is a lot of wastages in this sector. People are still using 100watts bulb all mine is 5watts.

Incentive has to move away from people being paid money to tax incentives to people who are committed and invested in local production. They are invested in making it work.

March last year.

Re: Falana Says NNPC’s Decision To Increase Pump Price Of Petrol Is Illegal by Segzy19: 4:04pm On Jun 03, 2023
You are welcome, Bro!
Please remain hopeful and positive.

We are all going through one thing or the other but we must just keep pressing on, never losing our inner strength and hope. Some people are going through worse and worst of whatever one can imagine or be going through.

Like we used to joke: in a gathering people were asked to submit their problems so that they can exchange it with the problems of other people.

Everyone kept bringing their problems to the table with the hope of seeing lesser problems which they can pick from the table in exchange.

But in the end it turned out that the problem of the next person was even bigger than and intolerable.
So everyone rushed back to pick their problems before someone else would pick it up and exchange it for them with a bigger one😃😃

That why they say that when you hear about the problems of other people, you will rush back to pick your own...

However, we must keep encouraging ourselves whilst looking for practical and legitimate ways to solve the problems. It's good that you spoke out

Please don't keep quiet or isolate yourself.
Reach out to people around you (friends ,family, counselors, and so on).

Keep your inner strength and hope alive.
Tough times don't last. Only tough people do...

Life is Life...

Ismael97:

I appreciate you so much Sir. Thanks a lot. Will remain positive. Thanks once more
Re: Falana Says NNPC’s Decision To Increase Pump Price Of Petrol Is Illegal by Segzy19: 4:05pm On Jun 03, 2023
You are welcome, Bro!

We are all going through one thing or the other but we must just keep pressing on, never losing our inner strength and hope. Some people are going through worse and worst of whatever one can imagine or be going through.

Like we used to joke: in a gathering people were asked to submit their problems so that they can exchange it with the problems of other people.

Everyone kept bringing their problems to the table with the hope of seeing lesser problems which they can pick from the table in exchange.

But in the end it turned out that the problem of the next person was even bigger than and intolerable.
So everyone rushed back to pick their problems before someone else would pick it up and exchange it for them with a bigger one😃😃

That why they say that when you hear about the problems of other people, you will rush back to pick your own...

However, we must keep encouraging ourselves whilst looking for practical and legitimate ways to solve the problems. It's good that you spoke out

Life is Life...

Ismael97:

I appreciate you so much Sir. Thanks a lot. Will remain positive. Thanks once more
Re: Falana Says NNPC’s Decision To Increase Pump Price Of Petrol Is Illegal by gabbytabby: 4:05pm On Jun 03, 2023
My sentiments exactly and it is not limited to Nigeria alone most countries sold off their gas, electricity,
Communication etc although in UK they allowed citizens to benefit from the initial listing because politics, bureaucracy and interests often gets in the way.

Gajagojo:

Anything is possible in a classroom
I am interested not in what is possible but reality backed up with plans
The FG of Nigeria cannot operate a refinery in 2023

Re: Falana Says NNPC’s Decision To Increase Pump Price Of Petrol Is Illegal by Ismael97(m): 4:25pm On Jun 03, 2023
Segzy19:
You are welcome, Bro!

Life is Life...

I won't forget this in a hurry. Thanks for these words of encouragement Sir. This is worth more than a million Dollars. God bless you.
Thing is, I wish I had all these people u mentioned above. I'm the only child. No parents. I have a baby of 7months who is terribly sick and can't afford drugs to buy for him. I didn't legally marry, I found solace in the arms of a girlfriend and one thing led to another. Everything is frustrating right now
Re: Falana Says NNPC’s Decision To Increase Pump Price Of Petrol Is Illegal by seunayantokun(m): 4:51pm On Jun 03, 2023
Two things - subsidy removal and PMS price increase. I don't support the latter.
Re: Falana Says NNPC’s Decision To Increase Pump Price Of Petrol Is Illegal by Bfly: 5:35pm On Jun 03, 2023
Talk is cheap.
Re: Falana Says NNPC’s Decision To Increase Pump Price Of Petrol Is Illegal by DARLYNBOI: 5:40pm On Jun 03, 2023
BTCJagaban:
Sir, this is not about law. It’s about rebuilding this country and rewriting the wrongs. With honor sir, should we continue the fuel subsidy?

All elder statemen in Nigeria should come together on this issue. It’s not about Tinubu or APC. It’s about our country and what’s pulling us back.

Have you asked yourself what was the (subsidies) removed from diesel and kerosene used for and why do we still borrow heavily from china and co.
Something Shud tell you that politicians are the same in this part of the world.
Re: Falana Says NNPC’s Decision To Increase Pump Price Of Petrol Is Illegal by ItisWell22(f): 5:43pm On Jun 03, 2023
Ismael97:

I know what I am getting through right now. I'm beginning to feel like death is the way out

Go easy on yourself young man.

You’re not going through life alone.

You go dey alright… 🙏
Re: Falana Says NNPC’s Decision To Increase Pump Price Of Petrol Is Illegal by Ismael97(m): 5:45pm On Jun 03, 2023
ItisWell22:

Go easy on yourself young man.

You’re not going through life alone.

You go dey alright… 🙏

Watching my only child of 7months suffer without been able to afford medication is painful
Re: Falana Says NNPC’s Decision To Increase Pump Price Of Petrol Is Illegal by Blakjewelry(m): 6:36pm On Jun 03, 2023
Vinnie2000:

NNPC are working with APC and Dangote to Milk this Country and Nigerians Dry! : embarassed cry

How can Dangote launch his Refinery and within 2,3 Days, Tinubu announces Removal of subsidy?😒

Its like you guys don't read, they wanted to remove subsidy since but cant because of the effect and backlash so waited for dangote to finish before removing. I have been telling those who care to listen that is dangote the federal government is waiting for. Dangote is a businessman, he saw an opportunity and jump in. He took risk because the world in general is moving away from fossil fuel but he chose to bridge the gap.
Re: Falana Says NNPC’s Decision To Increase Pump Price Of Petrol Is Illegal by AfonjaPriest: 6:59pm On Jun 03, 2023
Nothing good is expected from a man that has always subsidized his reasoning with evil.
Re: Falana Says NNPC’s Decision To Increase Pump Price Of Petrol Is Illegal by AfonjaPriest: 6:59pm On Jun 03, 2023
Nothing good is expected from a man that has always subsidized his reasoning with evil.
Re: Falana Says NNPC’s Decision To Increase Pump Price Of Petrol Is Illegal by gidjah(m): 8:28pm On Jun 03, 2023
YouandiAllofus:
While it is illegal to increase pump prices across the nation pre-subsidy removal era, diplomacy application is also very important because they also have the capacity to sterve the nation of the product hording it for post subsidy era to sell at a higher profit margin. Which ever way, the gov created this predicament by carelessly announcing the removal way too early hence petroleum marketer are capitalizing on the ineptitude and turning it to gainful adventure. It's just business
honestly , the president didn't act in wisdom over that policy.It was very premature and toxic.Look the way it has brought panic and distress to us all.we weren't ready as no implementation of any complementary or supportive policies to guard against potential hardship this will cause.We all are for the removal but not without due and effective policies to safe guard against extreme hardship and distress.i spent virtually all my salary on groceries in the market last week ,no school fee yet.price of food items sky rocketed over night say because we have a new sheriff who is not sound and mature with words,they speak as though are always high on cheap weeds. Was he not supposed to speak with the NLC,TUC etc first,?? They would have told him the repercussion and hence shirt time measures of parliatives or other policies to help in cussioning this distress.BUT he obviously thought he can make and un make just like his predecessor did for 8great years bringing the nation into staunch captivity
Re: Falana Says NNPC’s Decision To Increase Pump Price Of Petrol Is Illegal by YouandiAllofus: 9:04pm On Jun 03, 2023
gidjah:
honestly , the president didn't act in wisdom over that policy.It was very premature and toxic.Look the way it has brought panic and distress to us all.we weren't ready as no implementation of any complementary or supportive policies to guard against potential hardship this will cause.We all are for the removal but not without due and effective policies to safe guard against extreme hardship and distress.i spent virtually all my salary on groceries in the market last week ,no school fee yet.price of food items sky rocketed over night say because we have a new sheriff who is not sound and mature with words,they speak as though are always high on cheap weeds. Was he not supposed to speak with the NLC,TUC etc first,?? They would have told him the repercussion and hence shirt time measures of parliatives or other policies to help in cussioning this distress.BUT he obviously thought he can make and un make just like his predecessor did for 8great years bringing the nation into staunch captivity

I bet the president didn't envisage the magnitude of catastrophic consequences that would later trail his subsidy removal, following it's announcement on inauguration day speach?
I think he was being too forward.
Re: Falana Says NNPC’s Decision To Increase Pump Price Of Petrol Is Illegal by owxy22(m): 9:47pm On Jun 03, 2023
Finally, someone is thinking what I'm thinking. Dangote is flowing in the blood of every Nigerian. The Nigerian economy has been placed in the hands of Dangote.
Vinnie2000:

1 Like

Re: Falana Says NNPC’s Decision To Increase Pump Price Of Petrol Is Illegal by charlsecy(m): 7:04am On Jun 04, 2023
RenaissanceGuy:
Well, NNPC didn't set the price for other marketers. It only set price for its own NNPC-branded fuel stations.
OK.

Re: Falana Says NNPC’s Decision To Increase Pump Price Of Petrol Is Illegal by Gaabasky: 7:07am On Jun 04, 2023
He may be right bcoz I'm too busy to read the functions & purpises of NNPC. I think we should scribe them

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (Reply)

IPOB Drags FG To Court, Demands N8.5bn Compensation / Why Are Computers Budgeted For Every Year? – Sen. Abaribe / Sit At Home Defied In Abakaliki (Pictures)

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 76
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.