Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,150,246 members, 7,807,834 topics. Date: Wednesday, 24 April 2024 at 08:19 PM

House Of Reps Calls For Outright Removal Of Subsidies - Politics (4) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Politics / House Of Reps Calls For Outright Removal Of Subsidies (30624 Views)

Texas House Of Reps Calls On Supreme Court To Order Kanu's Unconditional Release / Why Tinubu Must Restore Fuel Subsidies Now - Farooq A. Kperogi / How Buhari Spent N8trn On ‘non-existent’ Petrol Subsidies (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: House Of Reps Calls For Outright Removal Of Subsidies by BreconHills(m): 9:07pm On Jun 02, 2023
BloomingDale:

They were borrowing to fund the subsidy.

Well put. Succint. I love it when an uninformed statement is answered with calm and dispassionate logic
Re: House Of Reps Calls For Outright Removal Of Subsidies by VeeVeeMyLuv(m): 9:08pm On Jun 02, 2023
Bimpe29:
Subsidy is gone forever.
What of the expensive importation of petroleum? cheesy
Re: House Of Reps Calls For Outright Removal Of Subsidies by jaxxy(m): 9:15pm On Jun 02, 2023
nobody has ever said subsidy shouldn't be removed. it's the process and timing of removal.

1 Like 1 Share

Re: House Of Reps Calls For Outright Removal Of Subsidies by goodheart01: 9:15pm On Jun 02, 2023
arejibadz:
atiku and obi would have removed it to

But not without creating a soft landing for the people
Re: House Of Reps Calls For Outright Removal Of Subsidies by Funflipper: 9:18pm On Jun 02, 2023
Ismael97:

I understand all that. But Nigerians are suffering. We are suffering. I'm dying

Listen my good friend, as long as Tinubu is at the helm of affairs, there is hope for a better tomorrow for you.
Re: House Of Reps Calls For Outright Removal Of Subsidies by layovin(m): 9:18pm On Jun 02, 2023
My problem is that why these people protested and refused when Jonathan wanted to remove subsidy.

1 Like 1 Share

Re: House Of Reps Calls For Outright Removal Of Subsidies by Funflipper: 9:19pm On Jun 02, 2023
goodheart01:

But not without creating a soft landing for the people

What kind of soft landing are you talking about? Would you mind throwing more light on that?
Re: House Of Reps Calls For Outright Removal Of Subsidies by chidiokay: 9:27pm On Jun 02, 2023
Ismael97:
Useless, wicked and insensitive bunch of jokers called Leaders. The proceeds from the removal of this subsidy would be looted by Tinubu and his cronies. This economic policy is inimical and detrimental to the interests of the common Nigerians

Unfortunate the interest of the common man/Nigerians can't resuscitate the economy, for a country that uses 96% of her revenue to service and pay loan what could be more paramount that saving our economy from dying completely or is it until we end up like sri lanka,

What you need to under is that, prioritizing our economy is what will yield interest for all, when the economy flourishes even the common man will flourish without waiting for govt palliatives.
We have to put our emotions away and face the reality

1 Like

Re: House Of Reps Calls For Outright Removal Of Subsidies by Klington: 9:28pm On Jun 02, 2023
richidinho:
Nigerians calls for outright removal of sitting allowance, newspaper allowance, entertainment allowance and all other benefits of all the house members

Nonsense and ingredients, i dont blame una...

I blame the idiots that are supporting this anti people's policy

Touch what benefits them and watch how they will react

There's still hardship and toilet roll allowances for those clowns.

1 Like

Re: House Of Reps Calls For Outright Removal Of Subsidies by obi58: 9:29pm On Jun 02, 2023
BloomingDale:

They were borrowing to fund the inflated subsidy because
1. they refused to cut the cost of governance
2. They refused to block the leakages in the subsidy process by putting in place effective structures to ensure transparency and accountability
3. They refused to combat corruption
4. They refused to ensure the refineries became functional.
5. They refused to ensure efficiency of tax revenue generation to boost non-oil revenue.
6. By refusing to ensure the integrity of our borders and make severe examples of corrupt/compromised customs officials.

So many things they could have done before the removal of subsidy which they chose not to do. Instead they are feeding the propaganda that the county is broke and that we are subsidizing fuel for other African nations.

Have Nigerians not suffered enough?

We pay for our water.
We pay for our light.
Our healthcare facilities are nothing to write home about. Doctors are on strike.
Our educational system is a shambles. Soon ASUU will resume their strike.
Our refineries are not working.
Ajaokuta steel is still moribund.
We privatised the cement industry and now a bag of cement is approaching 5000 naira making affordable housing a mirage. Nothing being done to check the monopolistic tendencies of Dangote in that sector.
Bread which used to be basic food is now approaching N1000.
Rice is approaching N50,000 a bag
Inflation is at almost 22%
Poverty is at record high. So is unemployment.

God will help us. I pray the President turns all these around but in abolishing subsidy before addressing all these issues , before even rolling out significant economic palliatives, though it is quite early, it is frankly not encouraging.

3 Likes 1 Share

Re: House Of Reps Calls For Outright Removal Of Subsidies by Ismael97(m): 9:37pm On Jun 02, 2023
Funflipper:

Listen my good friend, as long as Tinubu is at the helm of affairs, there is hope for a better tomorrow for you.

I hope so
Re: House Of Reps Calls For Outright Removal Of Subsidies by cyprianken: 9:37pm On Jun 02, 2023
[I swear, better money go still fall out from dere]

Let Fg remove all the bogos allowance you people also receive and also reduce cost of governance,not only subsidy,[/quote]
Re: House Of Reps Calls For Outright Removal Of Subsidies by ebenholer2(m): 9:49pm On Jun 02, 2023
IT WILL BE EVIL FOR ANYONE TO CONTINUALLY SUPPORT THE PAYMENT OF SUBSIDY AT THIS AGE IN THE NATION. IT HAS EVER BEEN THE MEANS OF MAKING THE RICH GETTING RICHER AND POOR GETTING POORER. EVEN PETER OBI OUTRIGHTLY SUPPORTED ITS REMOVAL

1 Like

Re: House Of Reps Calls For Outright Removal Of Subsidies by PecE2Make: 9:49pm On Jun 02, 2023
Instead of them thinking how Nigeria can refine the oyel themselves, they are just here talking nonsense.
Re: House Of Reps Calls For Outright Removal Of Subsidies by Nefort: 9:51pm On Jun 02, 2023
Angelfrost:
Removal is already a foregone conclusion...!

However, cushioning and palliatives should have been put in place long before now!

You don't place the cart before the horse...!

If they will spend money on cushioning and palliatives then what's the point removing the subsidy? The money spent on palliatives is also a subsidy.
Re: House Of Reps Calls For Outright Removal Of Subsidies by yewit37486: 9:53pm On Jun 02, 2023
Segzy19:
Why can't you be positive for once.
You even said you are dying... Na wa o!

If you die now Nigeria won't miss you...
Pray this government succeeds so that we can all benefit. Leave politics, political affiliations or dislike for the current president aside for now.... He is our president as per reality and if he fails, then we will all have more troubles...

Be optimistic and patient a bit more.
Things can't get any worse than it was under Buhari. This pain is like pain of circumcision. Once it heals, na to dey do fine boy o but the short pain will first be there...
There shall be light soon..

Wise words.

1 Like

Re: House Of Reps Calls For Outright Removal Of Subsidies by alobright17(m): 9:53pm On Jun 02, 2023
Ismael97:

Abeg die it won't stop the subsidy removal. Stop making noise.
Re: House Of Reps Calls For Outright Removal Of Subsidies by ajakuai(m): 9:58pm On Jun 02, 2023
Is high time all these terrorists, Boko Haram, kidnappers, iswap,issis,unknown gunmen, ungun known men, millitants and ipob faced these politicians/leaders squarely and leave the common man in this country.

We are tired. No job, no conducive business environment, Frustration and anger everywhere because of selfish and insensitive leaders.

How long should we continue to endure this hardship?

Fine, removal of subsidy is a good approach, but did you think of repairing or selling off the existing refineries to private individuals for competition before the automatic removal? No.

I told my people before this election, that Tinubu doesn't always have the poor masses in his dictionary. He set that trademark in Lagos State when he was the governor. Fashola the follow suit.

In this life, if you must employ any driver for your wife and kids, make sure he has his own family as well. Do not entrust your family into hands of a single guy. He may have no emotion nor empathy for a family because he has none. A case study of Lagos and Nigeria.
Re: House Of Reps Calls For Outright Removal Of Subsidies by Angelfrost(m): 10:11pm On Jun 02, 2023
Nefort:

If they will spend money on cushioning and palliatives then what's the point removing the subsidy? The money spent on palliatives is also a subsidy.

No it's not!

You have had several years to prepare for this day!

Please, don't make excuses for these criminals!

They are basically asking the citizens to suffer and pay for their poor decisions! No wonder NLC is going against them!
Re: House Of Reps Calls For Outright Removal Of Subsidies by blahc007: 10:11pm On Jun 02, 2023
Segzy19:
Why can't you be positive for once.
You even said you are dying... Na wa o!

If you die now Nigeria won't miss you...
Pray this government succeeds so that we can all benefit. Leave politics, political affiliations or dislike for the current president aside for now.... He is our president as per reality and if he fails, then we will all have more troubles...

Be optimistic and patient a bit more.
Things can't get any worse than it was under Buhari. This pain is like pain of circumcision. Once it heals, na to dey do fine boy o but the short pain will first be there...
There shall be light soon..

Leave am ....mek em de pray mek things worse so that he can blame Tinubu..... forgetting that a fight between 2 elephants is at the detriment of the grass...

I supported Obi with all my heart...but na Tinubu win, so Tinubu is the president of my country (the country I reside in currently) and I have moved on....
Day in day out, I keep praying that God will use Jagaban to bring a positive change that will benefit me and Nigerians.

No time for looking for who to blame.....that one na small pikin attitude

1 Like

Re: House Of Reps Calls For Outright Removal Of Subsidies by zinaunreal(m): 10:18pm On Jun 02, 2023
arejibadz:

But not like this. This is madness
Re: House Of Reps Calls For Outright Removal Of Subsidies by sinero: 10:21pm On Jun 02, 2023
Ismael97:

So we should keep borrowing as a country to subsidise fuel for West Africa because u r dying. This is the selfish attitude of nigerians that has brought us to this point.
Re: House Of Reps Calls For Outright Removal Of Subsidies by Iamzik: 10:25pm On Jun 02, 2023
arejibadz:

Yes but not hastily on inauguration day without prior planning
Re: House Of Reps Calls For Outright Removal Of Subsidies by Elvis2kay: 10:40pm On Jun 02, 2023
Ismael97:

ARE U THE ONLY ONE? DIE IF YOU WAN DIE
Re: House Of Reps Calls For Outright Removal Of Subsidies by Metrofox(m): 10:45pm On Jun 02, 2023
BloomingDale:

They just need future borrowing to go straight to them now

1 Like 1 Share

Re: House Of Reps Calls For Outright Removal Of Subsidies by Omoapena(m): 10:45pm On Jun 02, 2023
If subsidy is the only thing citizens will enjoy from the government, they should leave it, I'm pretty sure if government remove subsidy outrightly, we won't still see where the money will be channeled to, so they should leave the subsidy...

1 Like

Re: House Of Reps Calls For Outright Removal Of Subsidies by donhils: 12:28am On Jun 03, 2023
I think there's something fishy these people are not saying. Like this is another way to loot, the way they're supporting this move is worrisome
Re: House Of Reps Calls For Outright Removal Of Subsidies by Dicado: 12:28am On Jun 03, 2023

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (Reply)

Obiano in China: Onitsha Port, Anambra Int Airport In Focus- Pics / Photo: Map Of Nigeria On A Pothole As Made By Rain / Tinubu Attacks Saraki

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 39
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.