Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,150,320 members, 7,808,073 topics. Date: Thursday, 25 April 2024 at 06:44 AM

Boko Haram Is Not The Cause Of Low-keyed 51st Celebration - FG - Politics - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Politics / Boko Haram Is Not The Cause Of Low-keyed 51st Celebration - FG (4879 Views)

Boko Haram Is Wounded And Dangerous - Yahoo News / Bayelsa Govt. Reveals Real Cause Of Alamieyeseigha’s Death / Boko Haram Is Sponsored By Wealthy Nigerians – Security Expert (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (Reply) (Go Down)

Boko Haram Is Not The Cause Of Low-keyed 51st Celebration - FG by OAM4J: 3:58am On Sep 30, 2011
[size=13pt]October 1: FG denies being scared of Boko Haram[/size]

The Federal Government on Thursday denied speculations that it planned a low-keyed celebration of the nation’s 51st independence anniversary because of the fear of attack by the violent Islamic sect, Boko Haram.

Minister of Information, Mr. Labaran Maku, who spoke with State House correspondents in Abuja described such speculations as “irresponsible”. He also chided the media for giving too much attention to the activities of Boko Haram, which he referred to as an “anti-state actor.”

Maku said, “Let me express my disappointment with one of the front page stories in one of the leading newspapers today in which it claimed that the Federal Government has stepped down celebrations in this year’s anniversary because of a Boko Haram scare.

“I think this story was the highest level of lack of responsibility on the part of the management and editors of the newspapers.

“Nigeria belongs to all of us, we must put the interest of this country first. The President has just signed the Freedom of Information bill into law as the sign of this administration’s commitment to the promotion of the Freedom of the Press.

“It is increasingly a matter of concern the way a few newspapers have been reporting the security challenges this nation has. In the first instance, every Nigerian is aware that even under the military regime, it was not every anniversary that this nation celebrated with a military parade.

“I know that under this dispensation, as a former Commissioner, I know that in several years, we never celebrated independence with military parade where school children will come out and engage in a march past.”

The Federal Government had announced that this year’s anniversary event would only feature a national broadcast by President Goodluck Jonathan and an inspection of Guard of Honour inside the Presidential Villa. The announcement fuelled speculations that the government might have done so out of fear that the event could be bombed.

Maku said that contrary to the speculations, the government decided to make the anniversary low-keyed because it had organised two elaborate ceremonies in the last one year.

He recalled that the country held a huge celebration in commemoration of its 50th independence anniversary in 2010 as well as an elaborate presidential inauguration in May 2011.

He said that a lot of money, time and energy were expended on the two ceremonies with world leaders in attendance. This, he explained, informed the decision of the government to make the independence anniversary low-keyed.

He added that the thinking of government was that by 2014 when the country would be marking its 100 years of amalgamation, another elaborate ceremony could be held.

Apart from this, Maku also said that there was no law that made it compulsory that every independence celebration must feature military and schoolchildren parade.

“Even during military era, it was not all independence celebrations that featured military parades. Even during the administration of former President Olusegun Obasanjo, military parades were not held at every independence celebration. This is not the first time this kind of low-keyed celebration is being held,” he said.

He advised that when reporting issues bordering on national security, a minimum standard of national interest must be displayed.

While admitting that Nigeria is currently experiencing some security challenges, Maku said that the government was doing everything possible to overcome them.

Two explosions were recorded near the Eagle Square venue of the nation’s 50th independence anniversary on October 1 last year.

The Movement for the Emancipation of the Niger Delta claimed responsibility for the blasts in which 10 deaths were recorded.

MEND also on Wednesday issued a warning that it would again plant bomb “within and in the vicinity of the Eagle Square venue of the 51st independence anniversary.”

http://www.punchng.com/Articl.aspx?theartic=Art201109300553585
Re: Boko Haram Is Not The Cause Of Low-keyed 51st Celebration - FG by Nobody: 9:08am On Sep 30, 2011
Na wetin dem go yarn, undecided,
Re: Boko Haram Is Not The Cause Of Low-keyed 51st Celebration - FG by matoyeh(m): 9:18am On Sep 30, 2011
grin coward!
Re: Boko Haram Is Not The Cause Of Low-keyed 51st Celebration - FG by Babinski: 9:30am On Sep 30, 2011
Even if we are not told, we all know the reason for the low-keyed celebration. Thank you FG for thinking we are fools!!!
Re: Boko Haram Is Not The Cause Of Low-keyed 51st Celebration - FG by Thatdave(m): 9:45am On Sep 30, 2011
Babinski:

Even if we are not told, we all know the reason for the low-keyed celebration. Thank you FG for thinking i am a fool!!!
I think they are right with that thought grin
Re: Boko Haram Is Not The Cause Of Low-keyed 51st Celebration - FG by Kwanlo(m): 9:50am On Sep 30, 2011
This Mumu's really think Nigerians are as stupid as they are. If its nt because of threat then wot shud be d reason? When a lot of dirty big men in Abj av bn planning how to make more millions during dis 51st anivasri. Boko Haram and MEND don spoil their market. Shameless ppl.
Re: Boko Haram Is Not The Cause Of Low-keyed 51st Celebration - FG by Nobody: 10:04am On Sep 30, 2011
na wa oooo jonathan and his useless ministers.they are all toothless bulldogs.they can bark but cannot bite.what are they afraid of?even if they decide to have a low key celebration,does dat stop the terrorists from attacking?if they are afraid of them,then what do they expect we the masses to do? everybody on your own abi? mtcheeeeeeew!
Re: Boko Haram Is Not The Cause Of Low-keyed 51st Celebration - FG by 4tune1(m): 10:08am On Sep 30, 2011
See them running with their tails inbetween their legs. Thanks to BH & MEND, else many billions would have been waisted again this year.
Re: Boko Haram Is Not The Cause Of Low-keyed 51st Celebration - FG by sleek29(m): 10:14am On Sep 30, 2011
cowards, even NYSC batch C POP was cancelled, the fear of boko haram has become wisdom for our inept government led by the clueless GEJ angry
Re: Boko Haram Is Not The Cause Of Low-keyed 51st Celebration - FG by KokoBeware: 10:31am On Sep 30, 2011
Nairalanders and Nigerians in general will never sieze to amaze me, If the FG did the same thing they need on the inauguration:--- shutting down all access roads to Eagle square, shutting down all network communication in FCT and lining security operatives on every street around the eagle square, we will have a succesfful independence "eagle square" celebration"-----------and the same people calling them cowards will say

"After GEJ spent so much money on the the last two celebrations he is still wasting money on this one-what is he celebrating", Now he has decided on a low-key celebration, why not just shut you mouths if you cant commend him, It annoying that we look for a stupid thing to say in every action of the FG.
Re: Boko Haram Is Not The Cause Of Low-keyed 51st Celebration - FG by pinkrex(m): 10:38am On Sep 30, 2011
What happened to FG inviting Obama shocked

The fear of BOKO-HARAM is the achievement of our 51st Bday grin grin grin grin grin grin grin grin
Re: Boko Haram Is Not The Cause Of Low-keyed 51st Celebration - FG by werepeLeri: 10:42am On Sep 30, 2011
Nigerians - do something problem, dont do it, problem. What the fu ck is wrong with these people?
Re: Boko Haram Is Not The Cause Of Low-keyed 51st Celebration - FG by Suntemi(m): 10:52am On Sep 30, 2011
Maybe they think we have tribal marks on our faces. FG should once in awhile try and swallow their pride. Cowards!!!
Re: Boko Haram Is Not The Cause Of Low-keyed 51st Celebration - FG by Nobody: 10:57am On Sep 30, 2011
If boko says run, Nd fg sAys stop!!! Y on earth will į̸̸̨ not run Afterall na 5m govt go pay for my life,
Re: Boko Haram Is Not The Cause Of Low-keyed 51st Celebration - FG by Suntemi(m): 10:57am On Sep 30, 2011
KokoBeware:

Nairalanders and Nigerians in general will never sieze to amaze me,  If the FG did the same thing they need on the inauguration:--- shutting down all access roads to Eagle square, shutting down all network communication in FCT and lining security operatives on every street around the eagle square,  we will have a succesfful independence "eagle square" celebration"-----------and the same people calling them cowards will say

"After GEJ spent so much money on the the last two celebrations he is still wasting money on this one-what is he celebrating",  Now he has decided on a low-key celebration,  why not just shut you mouths if you cant commend him,  It annoying that we look for a silly thing to say in every action of the FG.

Bro, why haven't they celebrated the independent in low-keyed way all these years? The bottom line is; they are cowards!!!
Re: Boko Haram Is Not The Cause Of Low-keyed 51st Celebration - FG by executinal(m): 11:07am On Sep 30, 2011
Nawaoh Na Boko dey rule now. Even NASS guys take off last time grin grin grin grin grin grin grin grin grin grin grin grin grin grin grin grin grin grin grin
Re: Boko Haram Is Not The Cause Of Low-keyed 51st Celebration - FG by castrokins(m): 11:29am On Sep 30, 2011
Its a fact, there's absolutely nothing to celebrate, I dont see Boko Haram as much of a threat to National Celebration, but there's nothing really to celebrate its just shameful because they (FG) understand the magnitude of our problems. #myopinion
Re: Boko Haram Is Not The Cause Of Low-keyed 51st Celebration - FG by rekeson: 12:03pm On Sep 30, 2011
So u guys want the fg to gather innocent lives 2geda 4 Boko haram to masacar, all in the name of celebration even in d face of d security crack down in d country ryt now? Some dudes here are complete retards!!!!
Re: Boko Haram Is Not The Cause Of Low-keyed 51st Celebration - FG by ULSHERLAN(m): 12:16pm On Sep 30, 2011
rekeson:

So u guys want the fg to gather innocent lives 2geda 4 Boko haram to masacar, all in the name of celebration even in d face of d security crack down in d country ryt now? Some dudes here are complete retards!!!!
normally i jus read but dis comment is one of d best av seen on cases like dis, the truth is dat alotta lives will be lost if an elaborate independence day was celebrated.i dnt think d FG should gv reasons 4 every action.d lives of NIGERIANs dat will attend d elaborate celebratn is @staken.d lives of NIGERIANs dat will attend d elaborate celebratn is @stake
Re: Boko Haram Is Not The Cause Of Low-keyed 51st Celebration - FG by Tosinville(m): 12:30pm On Sep 30, 2011
bunch of cowards.
Re: Boko Haram Is Not The Cause Of Low-keyed 51st Celebration - FG by OmoTier1(m): 12:32pm On Sep 30, 2011
As always; the obvious will always remain obvious even in the face of liars!
Why can't the minister just say point blank "yes we are celebrating low key because we have so many challenges of which security is one and we just want to mark the day and get back to work" Simples like a meerkat

Just wondering, has Ruben Abati been shove aside? No release from him for almost a month now! , or is he compiling the list of hand shakes GEJ had during the last UN G-Assembly in New York as one of the achievements one year in office
Re: Boko Haram Is Not The Cause Of Low-keyed 51st Celebration - FG by Nursery1(m): 12:41pm On Sep 30, 2011
castrokins:

Its a fact, there's absolutely nothing to celebrate, I dont see Boko Haram as much of a threat to National Celebration, but there's nothing really to celebrate its just shameful because they (FG) understand the magnitude of our problems. #myopinion
If there is nothing to celebrate like you said, what did we have to celebrate last yr and the previous yrs. I dont expect the FG to come out a tell us that the LOW_KEYED celebration is because of BOKO HARAM THREAT. Am sure the NYSC Batch C PASSING OUT PARADE cancellation is because our HISTORIC CORPS members have nothing to celebrate. Lets call a spade a spade, rather than call it a big spoon. lest i forget, did the FG admit the low-keyed celebration is because Nigeria has nothing to celebrate?

IF the like let them call this fact speculation, but we all know that all this is because of the security threat.
Re: Boko Haram Is Not The Cause Of Low-keyed 51st Celebration - FG by Demdem(m): 2:07pm On Sep 30, 2011
he is probably right. Boko Haram doesnt Target Anniversary celebration, MEND Does and they have threatened to do the same again this year. This explains why its low-Keyed cool
OAM4J:

Two explosions were recorded near the Eagle Square venue of the nation’s 50th independence anniversary on October 1 last year.
The Movement for the Emancipation of the Niger Delta claimed responsibility for the blasts in which 10 deaths were recorded.
MEND also on Wednesday issued a warning that it would again plant bomb “within and in the vicinity of the Eagle Square venue of the 51st independence anniversary.”
Re: Boko Haram Is Not The Cause Of Low-keyed 51st Celebration - FG by Pukkah: 2:11pm On Sep 30, 2011
The Information Minister is dissipating too much energy on the newspaper/media. In fact, it's a mark of responsibility if the FG decided to cancel the parade because of Boko Haram scare.  Let's be frank, is the scare not enough to be taken seriously?  If they go ahead and hold it and there's a loss of lives, won't people blame them for being reckless? On a personal note, I believe there's nothing to celebrate anyway.

However, the FG needs to get to the bottom of the Boko Haram nonsense expeditiously. It's not proper that one year after the blast of October 1, 2010, we are still grappling with the problem. If the tardiness continues, I hope the Presidency would be able to operate from Aso Rock by October 1, 2012.
Re: Boko Haram Is Not The Cause Of Low-keyed 51st Celebration - FG by Basics007: 3:15pm On Sep 30, 2011
Of course the whole shinding was low key cos of Boko Haram and MEND. End of story! And it's a good thing too. At least there wont be an profligrate spending to make me cry again this year.
I always wonder what goes thru all these spokesmen mind when they get home after their lies. They'll be like "did this people even believe me sef? Anyway i've done my job" Lol!
Re: Boko Haram Is Not The Cause Of Low-keyed 51st Celebration - FG by Suntemi(m): 3:27pm On Sep 30, 2011
rekeson:

So u guys want the fg to gather innocent lives 2geda 4 Boko haram to masacar, all in the name of celebration even in d face of d [b]security crack down in d [/b]country ryt now? Some dudes here are complete retards!!!!

No one is asking them to elaborate the celebration, but they shouldn't have lied to us that, Boko Haram isn't the cause of their current action. We are not fools!!!
Re: Boko Haram Is Not The Cause Of Low-keyed 51st Celebration - FG by BigMeat2: 3:43pm On Sep 30, 2011
I personally don't see much for us to celebrate about the independence, with all the funfair and carnival last year, has the life of an average Nigerian changed for the better.
Boko haram or Mend should not be the reason for a low key affair.
Re: Boko Haram Is Not The Cause Of Low-keyed 51st Celebration - FG by Nobody: 3:51pm On Sep 30, 2011
Are we dumb? undecided
Re: Boko Haram Is Not The Cause Of Low-keyed 51st Celebration - FG by habayommy: 4:51pm On Sep 30, 2011
4tune1:

See them running with their tails inbetween their legs. Thanks to BH & MEND, else many billions would have been waisted wasted again this year.

abi o , billiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiooooooooooooooooons grin
Re: Boko Haram Is Not The Cause Of Low-keyed 51st Celebration - FG by Drecares(m): 5:24pm On Sep 30, 2011
DREAAM GLOBAL ENTERPRISES. REG NO: 2175933 !!!

***MALAYSIA VISA PROCESSING, READY WITHIN 10 DAYS !!!
NO DOWN PAYMENT YOU PAY WHEN YOUR VISA IS READY [100K]
REQUIREMENT: 4 PASSPORTS PHOTOGRAPH & YOUR INTERNATIONAL PASSPORT
CONTACT INFORMATION: MOBILE NUMBER: +2348035506812* LAND LINE: +2347078051356 !!!

***SOUTH AFRICA VISA PROCESSING, READY WITHIN 3 WEEKS !!!
NO DOWN PAYMENT YOU PAY WHEN YOUR VISA IS READY [150K]
CONTACT INFORMATION: MOBILE NUMBER: +2348035506812* LAND LINE: +2347078051356 !!!

***UNITED KINGDOM [UK] VISA PROCESSING, READY WITHIN 1 MONTH !!!
NO DOWN PAYMENT YOU PAY WHEN YOUR VISA IS READY [350K]

Email: info@Dreaamglobal.com

Twitter Page: https://twitter.com/DreaamGlobal

Facebook Page: http://www.facebook.com/Dreaamglobal
Re: Boko Haram Is Not The Cause Of Low-keyed 51st Celebration - FG by Decryptor(m): 5:49pm On Sep 30, 2011
The Cake which was used for last year's celebrations cost over N47m and i'm aware that the guy who tendered his proposal for that cake moved over to a high brow apartment in Maitama +the Avalon and Infinity jeep he bought just weeks after the celebrations.The Cake which was used for last year's celebrations cost over N47m and i'm aware that the guy who tendered his proposal for that cake moved over to a high brow apartment in Maitama +the Avalon and Infinity jeep he bought just weeks after the celebrations.
Re: Boko Haram Is Not The Cause Of Low-keyed 51st Celebration - FG by sley4life(m): 6:03pm On Sep 30, 2011
the FG are afraid. im sure the place will be scanty on 1st

(1) (2) (Reply)

Proposal To End Corruption In Nigeria / When Will Tinubu Declare His Assets? / INEC Source Confirms Jonathan's Lead So Far

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 49
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.