Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,148,856 members, 7,802,747 topics. Date: Friday, 19 April 2024 at 08:37 PM

Is It Advisable For Boys To Be In Boarding Secondary Schools,please Advice - Family (2) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Family / Is It Advisable For Boys To Be In Boarding Secondary Schools,please Advice (6238 Views)

Man Abandons Children In Boarding School For Eight Years / What Number Of Children Is Advisable For Average Nigerian Couples / Is It Advisable For A 27-yr-old Graduate To Rent His Own Place? (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: Is It Advisable For Boys To Be In Boarding Secondary Schools,please Advice by lawak: 9:31am On Oct 04, 2011
I have always believed that half of the survival instincts i exhibit today are largely because i attended a boarding school. Long before now, i had already made up my mind that my sons MUST attend boarding Schools once they finish the JSS classes.
Re: Is It Advisable For Boys To Be In Boarding Secondary Schools,please Advice by baslone: 9:53am On Oct 04, 2011
moremi2008:

Please, only send your child to a private boarding schools. The horror stories from the state-run or military-run schools are horrendous. These schools have terrible healthcare facilities, poor sanitation, poor food and absolutely little no protection from bullying. I remember the day my cousin was rushed home from an FGC because a senior beat him so badly, he had cracked ribs! Many kids also go to those schools, mix with the wrong crowd and return home little criminals. Just remember that when you send your child to a boarding school you don't see him for weeks at a time and have no idea what kind of friends he keeps.

That's your cousin's destiny. Back in the days, getting into unity schools was strictly on merit.

Myself, Elder brother and younger sister all went to different FGCs.

The last of our family went to an over-rated private boarding school which eventually turned out to be waste of funds.

Too many spoilt brats and it wasn't competitive enough for him. He had to keep changing schools till he

finally passed out!
Re: Is It Advisable For Boys To Be In Boarding Secondary Schools,please Advice by JimmyBoy1: 10:49am On Oct 04, 2011
I passed through the boarding house system, where I was exposed all sorts of youthful vices. The truth is that all boarding students are nurtured by there peers and seniors. The house Master(Teacher in charge of boarding house) just comes to make speech or check on rooms occasionaly, he doesnt know what goes inside the dormitories most times.

Dont gamble with your children please.
Re: Is It Advisable For Boys To Be In Boarding Secondary Schools,please Advice by lucom: 10:52am On Oct 04, 2011
Kleenmum send your boys to a good one that you can afford because "there's no gold without it passing through fire" trust me I'm a living proof, most of my survival instincts and street wisdom that I still make use of till date are honed within the walls of my great school. That is not to say I didn't learn a lot of bad things though but my parents were very vigilant and it helped a lot to put me back on track.So my advice is send them to a boarding school (it will surely help them becoming men) but be very vigilant so you don't get the other result.
Re: Is It Advisable For Boys To Be In Boarding Secondary Schools,please Advice by kleenmum(f): 11:00am On Oct 04, 2011
Thank you all for your contributions,its just so good to have intelligent people participate when issues are brought up. Am much more at peace and I think I have come to a conclusion ;;!but it might also help to be precise the school is dansol high school at ogba, its a good school and its private.

Once again thanks everyone.
Re: Is It Advisable For Boys To Be In Boarding Secondary Schools,please Advice by shumno(f): 12:32pm On Oct 04, 2011
Please is it only boys? What about girls? Day school or boarding. I think our responses should be for both so we can learn the advantages/disadvantages.
Re: Is It Advisable For Boys To Be In Boarding Secondary Schools,please Advice by Gbenge77(m): 3:08pm On Oct 04, 2011
why not.
Re: Is It Advisable For Boys To Be In Boarding Secondary Schools,please Advice by kleenmum(f): 5:43pm On Oct 04, 2011
Thank you all for ur contributions,I think I have made a decision its very good to find intelliigent responces to issues. But just to mention the name of the school is dansol high school at ogba,its a private school and who knows I might find someone who knows about the school to talk about their boarding.

Tx once again
Re: Is It Advisable For Boys To Be In Boarding Secondary Schools,please Advice by Nobody: 8:13pm On Oct 04, 2011
If you want him to be a MAN send his arse to boarding school. angry
Re: Is It Advisable For Boys To Be In Boarding Secondary Schools,please Advice by delpee(f): 9:06am On Oct 05, 2011
I dont know about Dansol but my advice is that you get to know the Principal, VPs, Class teacher, subject teachers and house master very well.

Never miss the visiting and open days and keep in touch with any of the above staff on phone on a regular basis. If you cant visit, your husband or trusted older relative should go. Dont try to fight the staff when they discipline your child, it only emboldens the child while the staff ignore him to his peril. Abi wetin concern agbero with overload?

When a child knows that he is well monitored, they tend to behave well. Also give him words of inspiration to encourage him and show that you believe in him.

I wish you the very best.
Re: Is It Advisable For Boys To Be In Boarding Secondary Schools,please Advice by dcodesmith(m): 12:36pm On Oct 05, 2011
@OP, I was in boarding school from the age of 6 - 16. I'd say i've come out good with some really good values like trust, loyalty and respect coz all I had was friends but emotionally not so good lol. I dont miss anyone not even my mum and feel like i don't need anyone n i'm mostly emotionally detached, maybe that's coz from a very young age i had to fend for myself n i've done fine all alone.

Having said all that the school is nothing like Dansol.
Re: Is It Advisable For Boys To Be In Boarding Secondary Schools,please Advice by kleenmum(f): 3:14pm On Oct 05, 2011
@delpee thanks for the advise

@dcodesmith seriously u were in boarding from age 6, that's interesting, you mentioned that your former school is nothing like dansol, I don't understand do u know something about dansol or what,please elaborate
Re: Is It Advisable For Boys To Be In Boarding Secondary Schools,please Advice by dcodesmith(m): 3:23pm On Oct 05, 2011
@kleenmum, Oh no, I didn't mean to alarm you. I was referring to factors such as welfare, location and year. I went to Mayflower school Ikenne in 91 and it was all about being self reliant and fending for oneself. And I doubt it'll be as hard for him as it is was for me back then, back then @ that age I thought I was in hell but then I got used to it and learned to roll with the punches and survive, that place equipped with everything I need to survive in life. I've heard of Dansol as its not far from where i lived in Nigeria but I don't know anything about it.
Re: Is It Advisable For Boys To Be In Boarding Secondary Schools,please Advice by baslone: 3:52pm On Oct 05, 2011
Yeah! Mayflower was a role model boarding school back in the days.

Don't know about now.

1 Like

Re: Is It Advisable For Boys To Be In Boarding Secondary Schools,please Advice by labamo07(m): 8:56am On Oct 07, 2011
As far as am concerned, its not the best idea. It gives them room for total exhibition of their youthful exhuberance. It breeds them into another being. Its another form of isolation which easily breed the sense of inferiority complex during their transformation. Few of the students only enjoyed the positive benefits of going to a boarding school. All forms of crazy acts are learnt there,
Re: Is It Advisable For Boys To Be In Boarding Secondary Schools,please Advice by meobizy(f): 7:36pm On Sep 18, 2018
To me boarding house is a big waste of both the child and parents' time and is chosen by incompetent parents who can't properly take care of their wards.
I went to boarding house and will never pick it for my children. I came out worse from the ordeal.
The best option is to send the child to a day-school where you can monitor their growth and development. If later in the future the child desires the boarding treatment then allow them. A child should enter boarding school only when he/she is physically and mentally capable of taking care of themselves first. If they didn't learn it beforehand then it is your fault.
In my case I quickly found peers who never studied or saw the point of it. I was bullied but never reported because the house masters were even bigger bullies. I pulled away emotionally from my parents because all-man-for-himself. If I attended a day school things would have turned positively different.
Re: Is It Advisable For Boys To Be In Boarding Secondary Schools,please Advice by YOUNGELDER1(m): 7:44pm On Sep 18, 2018
oddy4real:
MAYFLOWER SCHOOL IKENNE boarding school is one i would want my children to go through. it contributed to what i am today

I knew I will see an ex may on this thread grin

I’m an ex may my self. S/N 16172
Re: Is It Advisable For Boys To Be In Boarding Secondary Schools,please Advice by YOUNGELDER1(m): 7:45pm On Sep 18, 2018
baslone:
Yeah! Mayflower was a role model boarding school back in the days.

Don't know about now.

Ex May awa ni yen.
Re: Is It Advisable For Boys To Be In Boarding Secondary Schools,please Advice by gbowoade463: 8:01pm On Sep 18, 2018
Nuff said! Could u pls explain y its not a good idea

45 Likes

Re: Is It Advisable For Boys To Be In Boarding Secondary Schools,please Advice by Triniti(m): 10:20am On Sep 19, 2018
The worst thing I will ever do in life is to send my child to a boarding school,my kid bro has left a sour taste in my mouth
Re: Is It Advisable For Boys To Be In Boarding Secondary Schools,please Advice by ImaIma1(f): 11:10am On Sep 19, 2018
meobizy:
To me boarding house is a big waste of both the child and parents' time and is chosen by incompetent parents who can't properly take care of their wards.
I went to boarding house and will never pick it for my children. I came out worse from the ordeal.
The best option is to send the child to a day-school where you can monitor their growth and development. If later in the future the child desires the boarding treatment then allow them. A child should enter boarding school only when he/she is physically and mentally capable of taking care of themselves first. If they didn't learn it beforehand then it is your fault.
In my case I quickly found peers who never studied or saw the point of it. I was bullied but never reported because the house masters were even bigger bullies. I pulled away emotionally from my parents because all-man-for-himself. If I attended a day school things would have turned positively different.

On the contrary, i would send my children both male and female to boarding schools not because i am not capable of taking care of them but because i want them to independent.

The formative years of the child and throughout primary school is enough to instil the necessary discipline and right upbringing for the child. Having the child still go to a day school because you want to monitor them is not trusting them to be able to take care of themselves and it shows that you didn't bring them up right to be able to take care of themselves.

I went to a boarding school and it made me independent and able to make decisions for myself and defend myself without always looking for mummy and daddy. All my 5 siblings also went to boarding schools although one had to be withdrawn because they noticed she was not doing well in it.

Parents choice of schools determines what they intend to achieve or instil in their children.
Re: Is It Advisable For Boys To Be In Boarding Secondary Schools,please Advice by LadySarah: 11:38am On Sep 19, 2018
snthesis:
i came out an indepedent person- but then some other kids got scarred for life. The choice is yours to make.

I have been there and for yrs after the demons haunted.
Unless my husband insists,I would never agree to it.My eyes saw wonders,my ears heard it and I ran .

I saw lesbians being made.Children as young as 10 yrs
Re: Is It Advisable For Boys To Be In Boarding Secondary Schools,please Advice by meobizy(f): 3:16pm On Sep 19, 2018
ImaIma1:

On the contrary, i would send my children both male and female to boarding schools not because i am not capable of taking care of them but because i want them to independent.

The formative years of the child and throughout primary school is enough to instil the necessary discipline and right upbringing for the child. Having the child still go to a day school because you want to monitor them is not trusting them to be able to take care of themselves and it shows that you didn't bring them up right to be able to take care of themselves.

I went to a boarding school and it made me independent and able to make decisions for myself and defend myself without always looking for mummy and daddy. All my 5 siblings also went to boarding schools although one had to be withdrawn because they noticed she was not doing well in it.

Parents choice of schools determines what they intend to achieve or instil in their children.
Everyone has their opinion. I will advice you not to choose the boarding house option.
The only person who can teach a child independence is the parent. One can't force it on the child. The six years of primary school is not enough, the children can still pick bad habits even at the age of 16. For female children it can go as high as 21/22 but that's a story for another day.
I honestly thought I was the only one with my view until I joined a Whatsapp group comprising of my old classmates. 90% or a little less of them [~88%] share the same opinion.
If as a parent you don't/can't teach your child something then neither can someone else.
Re: Is It Advisable For Boys To Be In Boarding Secondary Schools,please Advice by ImaIma1(f): 6:26pm On Sep 19, 2018
meobizy:

Everyone has their opinion. I will advice you not to choose the boarding house option.
The only person who can teach a child independence is the parent. One can't force it on the child. The six years of primary school is not enough, the children can still pick bad habits even at the age of 16. For female children it can go as high as 21/22 but that's a story for another day.
I honestly thought I was the only one with my view until I joined a Whatsapp group comprising of my old classmates. 90% or a little less of them [~88%] share the same view.
If as a parent you don't/can't teach your child something then neither can someone else.

I still know a lot of people that will ready choose the boarding school option. Infact, my nephew resumed on Sunday and a lot of children from friends and family friends choose the option. And i even intend to send my boys to Nigerian Military Sch in Zaria wink

For my nephew, it was inevitable because he just refused to mature...always playing with kids half his age and acting so dependent on his mum especially. Parents teaching independence is not as effective as them learning it on their own.

I am a lady and i went toa boarding school alomg with my sisters and it was a learning experience for me
Re: Is It Advisable For Boys To Be In Boarding Secondary Schools,please Advice by meobizy(f): 8:58pm On Sep 19, 2018
ImaIma1:

I still know a lot of people that will ready choose the boarding school option. Infact, my nephew resumed on Sunday and a lot of children from friends and family friends choose the option. And i even intend to send my boys to Nigerian Military Sch in Zaria wink
If you like your children I suggest you keep them close to you at all stages of their development. A word is enough for the wise.
Since most of the people you know sent their kids to boarding house I will advice you pay attention to the amount who return back home and pick the day-student option.

For my nephew, it was inevitable because he just refused to mature...always playing with kids half his age and acting so dependent on his mum especially.
The fault here is still his parents.
I hate it when people see children playing with younger ones being a crutch. In the real world our friends come in different age ranges. My friends who are 31+ have friends who range from 26 - 40 in age. I will open a thread to address this issue but this anti-intellectual forum will only watch it sink into oblivion.
The main thing is your nephew has friends, his parents should encourage it and stop trying to make him a loner.

Parents teaching independence is not as effective as them learning it on their own.
Why don't the parents then commit suicide since it will create the ultimate test of independence?
Teaching a child independence is easy. Having his own room which he maintains himself will do more for him than any boarding school.

I am a lady and i went toa boarding school alomg with my sisters and it was a learning experience for me
At what age did you enter?
My younger sister went at 15 and enjoyed the experience because she begged to go there.
I went because my father saw boarding house as a big deal. It influenced my thinking. On getting there at age 10 I saw it wasn't all my old man envisioned. The African americans who were sent there to get hard by their Nigerian parents likened the setting to juvenile detention centres [prison]; a place known for instilling anti-social behaviour in growing teens.
The independence you keep preaching, when you see the child comes back and detaches him/herself from you emotionally you will regret it in the long run.
Re: Is It Advisable For Boys To Be In Boarding Secondary Schools,please Advice by ImaIma1(f): 11:49pm On Sep 19, 2018
meobizy:

If you like your children I suggest you keep them close to you at all stages of their development. A word is enough for the wise.
Since most of the people you know sent their kids to boarding house I will advice you pay attention to the amount who return back home and pick the day-student option.

The fault here is still his parents.
I hate it when people see children playing with younger ones being a crutch. In the real world our friends come in different age ranges. My friends who are 31+ have friends who range from 26 - 40 in age. I will open a thread to address this issue but this anti-intellectual forum will only watch it sink into oblivion.
The main thing is your nephew has friends, his parents should encourage it and stop trying to make him a loner.

Why don't the parents then commit suicide since it will create the ultimate test of independence?
Teaching a child independence is easy. Having his own room which he maintains himself will do more for him than any boarding school.

At what age did you enter?
My younger sister went at 15 and enjoyed the experience because she begged to go there.
I went because my father saw boarding house as a big deal. It influenced my thinking. On getting there at age 10 I saw it wasn't all my old man envisioned. The African americans who were sent there to get hard by their Nigerian parents likened the setting to juvenile detention centres [prison]; a place known for instilling anti-social behaviour in growing teens.
The independence you keep preaching, when you see the child comes back and detaches him/herself from you emotionally you will regret it in the long run.

I entered at age 10 and i learnt to cope and it turned out to be a wonderful experience.

I love my children and they will go to boarding schools. I don't need to keep them close to make sure they develop well. A child that will be wayward and rebellious will still manifest it in day school. It changes nothing.

There are so many children in day school that didn't turn out well even with their parent's imput. I believe in bringing them up well and instilling the right things in them and allowing them be themselves while i pray for God to look after them. If i notice that it is not doing them good, i will withdraw them.

I remember some neighbours i had when growing up who were kept under close watch from primary to sec school while we were sent off to boarding schools. By the time the two of them entered Uni, they just turned lost it and overused their freedom while it wasn't new to us.

The suicide option is not necessary...well except you want to explore it since you brought it up.

About my nephew...there is nothing wrong with playing with younger kids as long as he doesn't start behaving and thinking like them and forgetting his age.

We have differences in opinion and that's ok.

(1) (2) (Reply)

Why Is My Hubby Always All Over Me Oooooo? / Why Are Nigerian Men Killing Their American Nurses Wives. / 20 Qualities Of A Gentleman

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 67
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.