Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,147,802 members, 7,798,711 topics. Date: Tuesday, 16 April 2024 at 09:01 AM

Tempted To Assist A Family With God's Money (Tithe) - Religion - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Religion / Tempted To Assist A Family With God's Money (Tithe) (10936 Views)

Stop Financing Pastor's Extravagant Lifestyle With Your Tithe! / Tunde Bakare Tells Worshippers They Will Die If They Don’t Give God Money! / Which Is More Precious In The Sight Of God? Money Or Prayer (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (Reply) (Go Down)

Tempted To Assist A Family With God's Money (Tithe) by Agbo2(m): 6:31pm On Oct 02, 2011
I have a brother in my church who lost his job during the 2009 Tsunami experienced in Nigerian Banking sector.
He has been out of job since then, his wife is not working too with 3 kids to cater for.
Before the service started this morning, we spent 5 to 7 mins together and he let me into a little of what he has been going through and that his 3 kids are yet to resume back to school because they don't have any money to pay their fees.

I encouraged him as a brother to keep praying to God, that only God is capable of pulling him through all this.
But come to think of it, will God come down from heaven to assist this brother in need?
The money in my hands, isn't it God's money?

I am here asking for your advise because I ended up not dropping the tithe and I am still holding on to it hoping to give it to that brother to settle part of his children school fees so they can get back to school.

I would av loved to assist him from another source but wat i av left is not even enof for my monthly transportation cost not to talk of some other needs I am yet to meet.

Candid advise only please.
Re: Tempted To Assist A Family With God's Money (Tithe) by Arosa(m): 7:01pm On Oct 02, 2011
I know that God will be happy with you when you give the money to the deprived family. that is what the kingdom of God is about. (Love)
Re: Tempted To Assist A Family With God's Money (Tithe) by Agbo2(m): 7:08pm On Oct 02, 2011
God bless you brother!
Am so grateful.
Re: Tempted To Assist A Family With God's Money (Tithe) by manmustwac(m): 7:19pm On Oct 02, 2011
Agbo2:

I have a brother in my church who lost his job during the 2009 Tsunami experienced in Nigerian Banking sector.
He has been out of job since then, his wife is not working too with 3 kids to cater for.
Before the service started this morning, we spent 5 to 7 mins together and he let me into a little of what he has been going through and that his 3 kids are yet to resume back to school because they don't have any money to pay their fees.

I encouraged him as a brother to keep praying to God, that only God is capable of pulling him through all this.
But come to think of it, will God come down from heaven to assist this brother in need?

I am here asking for your advise because I ended up not dropping the tithe and I am still holding on to it hoping to give it to that brother to settle part of his children school fees so they can get back to school.

I would av loved to assist him from another source but wat i av left is not even enof for my monthly transportation cost not to talk of some other needs I am yet to meet.

the money in your hand is god's money (according to you) but what would do you think god would want you to do with it? Give the money to the church or help a friend in need? You really need to ask yourself what happens to the profits your  church makes from tithes apart from the church expenses. If your church hepls its needy members in thier own ways then your friend should have faith in the church. Or if its one of those churches that only help thier members with prayer then i suggest you give your friend your hard earned money. Pray over it and let god give you the final answer.
Re: Tempted To Assist A Family With God's Money (Tithe) by Agbo2(m): 7:24pm On Oct 02, 2011
Thanks so much for your reply manmustwack.
The problem is that no help is coming from the church.
No one ever want to listen to his opinion anymore since he lost his job.
Re: Tempted To Assist A Family With God's Money (Tithe) by Nobody: 7:36pm On Oct 02, 2011
Agbo2:

The problem is that no help is coming from the church.

Forget them, help him as much as you can. Just don't over do it.
Re: Tempted To Assist A Family With God's Money (Tithe) by PAGAN9JA(m): 7:37pm On Oct 02, 2011
u r a foolish man. that is YOUR brother and YOUR blood in need. in such difficult times, it is your DUTY to help him and his family. i cant believe you actually even thought of giving that sum of money to fill the stomach of a greedy pastor serving a false man-god and preaching a foreign religion instead of giving it to your needy brother. angry angry angry angry angry tongue

[size=16pt]BY THE GODS, SHAME ON YOU!!!!!![/size] angry angry angry angry angry angry angry angry angry
Re: Tempted To Assist A Family With God's Money (Tithe) by Nobody: 7:45pm On Oct 02, 2011
Look at it this way : helping your brother is helping God.

That tithe is going to end up in your pastor's pocket or "to help the Church" (to do what? i dont know). Is it going directly to God?

Like someone said. . . . dont be foolish.

This is very foolish. What the crap is this?
Wow!!

Anywaz, what if God is using you as a helping hand to assist him?
Re: Tempted To Assist A Family With God's Money (Tithe) by freecocoa(f): 7:52pm On Oct 02, 2011
OP you don't even need a second opinion on this,help your brother I'm sure that's what God would want you to do cause its he who have laid it in your heart to help,May God continue to bless you as you do this.
Re: Tempted To Assist A Family With God's Money (Tithe) by manmustwac(m): 7:53pm On Oct 02, 2011
Agbo2:

The problem is no help is coming from church
Church should always support thier loyal members when they are in need. But if he discusses his issues with his pastor and no help is coming then I suggest you use your initiative and help him with gods money. Afterall man must wack!  grin
Re: Tempted To Assist A Family With God's Money (Tithe) by Beaf: 7:58pm On Oct 02, 2011
Agbo2:

If you cannot help your fellow man while you are capable, then you are wicked.
IMHO, you seem to be looking for excuses not to help by talking rubbish about your tithe. Does God go to the market?

I remember once in Ghana, I was talking to a friend and he told me the meaning of some music we were listening to. It was about a stranger who asking directions, he asked a "man of God" who answered, sorry I am late and in a hurry to church. If you don't understand what that story infers, then you are far gone.
Re: Tempted To Assist A Family With God's Money (Tithe) by Nobody: 8:01pm On Oct 02, 2011
No stories. This is too clear. Help a brother!
Re: Tempted To Assist A Family With God's Money (Tithe) by freecocoa(f): 8:02pm On Oct 02, 2011
@lleke-idi please what's foolish about that phrase? He only asked a question which I think is perfectly normal“will God himself come down to help this brother?”He won't,he uses people. No offense intended to you.
Re: Tempted To Assist A Family With God's Money (Tithe) by debosky(m): 8:06pm On Oct 02, 2011
Give the money to the person in need - it will make a bigger impact on the lives involved than giving it to any church, especially if they are unwilling to help the man in question.
Re: Tempted To Assist A Family With God's Money (Tithe) by Enigma(m): 8:08pm On Oct 02, 2011
@ Agbo2

Please try and answer the questions in the two poll threads below honestly and intelligently and you will know what is the right thing to do!  smiley

https://www.nairaland.com/nigeria?topic=744234.0;viewResults

https://www.nairaland.com/nigeria/topic-747403.0.html

cool
Re: Tempted To Assist A Family With God's Money (Tithe) by Nobody: 8:10pm On Oct 02, 2011
freecocoa:

@lleke-idi please what's foolish about that phrase? He only asked a question which I think is perfectly normal“will God himself come down to help this brother?”He won't,he uses people. No offense intended to you.

Its foolish that a man has the resources to help his brother, yet still question God's intention for him as a helper.

Like beaf, I also have a story of my own.  Which is not directly referring to this story but on the same line.

A man's house was sinking in a flood, he prayed to God for help. A fisherman comes by and tells him to jump on his boat so that they can row to safety. The man in trouble declined, said that God was coming to rescue him.

This poster is God's helping hand for his brother, yet he's quoting the Bible on how God is the only one capable to help him.

A question from me to you: Do tithes directly go to God? They "help" the church (even tho nowadays we should be watching the pastor's pocket(s) closely).
Infact, shouldnt the church even be the one helping its members, both spiritually and financially? undecided
Re: Tempted To Assist A Family With God's Money (Tithe) by NSNA: 8:12pm On Oct 02, 2011
For me it is hard to understand that people beg in front of churches while every Sunday serious money is donated in churches.
Imagine the kind of world it will be if we give directly to the needy and not greedy pastors buying private Jets
Re: Tempted To Assist A Family With God's Money (Tithe) by noetic16(m): 8:18pm On Oct 02, 2011
@OP

please give the money to the brother in need . . ,
Re: Tempted To Assist A Family With God's Money (Tithe) by freecocoa(f): 8:21pm On Oct 02, 2011
@lleke-idi. Okay my bad,now I understand your point. To your question,yes the church ought to help but pastors these days don't care about that,they just fatten their pockets with people's hard earned money. Its disheartening.
Re: Tempted To Assist A Family With God's Money (Tithe) by airzzee(m): 8:21pm On Oct 02, 2011
@Poster,

Pls, read Matthew 25: 34 – 45 (emphasis on verses 40 & 45). Also see 1 Peter 3: 16 -18 (emphasis on vs 17). Then, see what Jesus would want you do in that situation. Please, listen to no one, but Christ.
Re: Tempted To Assist A Family With God's Money (Tithe) by FlyboyZee: 8:28pm On Oct 02, 2011
My brother, this is the end of the matter, fear God and obey His commandments.
Shikenah ahi!!!
Re: Tempted To Assist A Family With God's Money (Tithe) by engrj(m): 8:35pm On Oct 02, 2011
Well as for me i don't no what to say than just follow ur mind. & i pray 4 u & de Broder God will bless u all protect u, & give him anoder good job in Jesus name Amen. God bless us.
Re: Tempted To Assist A Family With God's Money (Tithe) by chiteny(m): 8:37pm On Oct 02, 2011
WHERE IS JOAGAJE I need him to make a comment on the above by the poster.

[b]Church should always support thier loyal members [/b]when they are in need. But if he discusses his issues with his pastor and no help is coming then I suggest you use your initiative and help him with gods money. Afterall man must wack

The bolded section is where we as Christians get things wrong sometimes. We should go beyond doing good to our "loyal member". We should extend help to all and sundry. What will it profit me if I only do good to whom I am sure will receive good from? That is hypocrisy.
Re: Tempted To Assist A Family With God's Money (Tithe) by Image123(m): 8:49pm On Oct 02, 2011
The OP's just another itchy-earred, covetous person like his fellows. You need candid advice? Go and learn what it truly means to love.
How about your boss using your next month's basic(only) to help the poor masses? Hypocrite. Sorry, HYPOCRITES.
He has 100%. He piously takes out 10% for his god. 90% is not enough for even his transport, not to mention his royal's other needs. Don't even consider him taking out of his 90% as he's greatly tried for his god parting with 10. God can wait now, is it not him, He understands, let him wait for next time, the poor are dying.
Re: Tempted To Assist A Family With God's Money (Tithe) by bomboyi(m): 9:00pm On Oct 02, 2011
I know of a friend we worked together,this worked for 34 years and was retired. He was paid N34m as his gratuity. He was supposed to pay N3.4m to God,but he he choose to go to his village and sunk bore holes with the money. His reasons: Many will benefit than to give to few individuals in the name of God. The point is,it is good to pay tax to govt for the general welfare,but why pay the tax to few,when many are wallowing in poverty?
Re: Tempted To Assist A Family With God's Money (Tithe) by Nobody: 9:02pm On Oct 02, 2011

"If someone has enough money to live well and sees a brother or sister in need but shows no compassion--how can God's love be in that person?" - 1 John 3:17

" If there is a poor man among your brothers in any of the towns of the land that the LORD your God is giving you, do not be hardhearted or tightfisted toward your poor brother." - Deuteronomy 15:7

You have to ask yourself, what is the tithe ? Where on earth are you commanded to tithe in the new testament  undecided

Indeed all monies collected as freewill offerings in the early church were used to meet the needs of the needy among the church.

"They sold their property and possessions and shared the money with those in need"- Acts 2:45

"If a man shuts his ears to the cry of the poor, he too will cry out and not be answered." - Proverbs 21:13

In summary since you also have needs, give sacrificialy while also leaving some for your own expenses and feeding as a matter of course.

"You must each decide in your heart how much to give. And don't give reluctantly or in response to pressure. "For God loves a person who gives cheerfully."
Re: Tempted To Assist A Family With God's Money (Tithe) by stillme(m): 9:03pm On Oct 02, 2011
Brother,tithe belongs to God,if u have faith u can sow seed from the money left with u into dat brother's life and u will be bless abundantly.
Re: Tempted To Assist A Family With God's Money (Tithe) by cicero(m): 9:04pm On Oct 02, 2011
You want sincere advice?

Your tithe must always go to your local church, it is not for assisting anybody no matter how serious their case is. Your tithe has to be consistent.
Re: Tempted To Assist A Family With God's Money (Tithe) by realsemaj: 9:08pm On Oct 02, 2011
I'd rather help a need brother and helpless kids rathan give my money to hopeless thieves behind the altar.
Re: Tempted To Assist A Family With God's Money (Tithe) by Nobody: 9:10pm On Oct 02, 2011
You want sincere advice?

Your tithe must always go to your local church

Where is the tithe commanded in the new testament. Never was   So please stop spreading this poisonous lie . More annoying, permit me to get a little angry here, is that this money is used to build and maintain lavish buildings, buy cars for the pastors , sponsor programmes while the members suffer in hunger.

it is not for assisting anybody no matter how serious their case is. Your tithe has to be consistent.

What a blind, foolish and silly thing to say. No wonder the church is in the pathetic state it is in today  angry

How dare you put the needs of a building and organisation above the needs of real people with real needs.

You know that's why I have turned my back on all Nigerian churches and any church that milks and fleeces its members.
Re: Tempted To Assist A Family With God's Money (Tithe) by kurus: 9:12pm On Oct 02, 2011
Re: Tempted To Assist A Family With God's Money (Tithe) by Texther(m): 9:13pm On Oct 02, 2011
Bring all tithe 2 my house so dat there can be food in my house. The tithe is not meant 4 u 2 spend on a brother. After paying d tithe God shall provide abundantly 4 u 2 take care of ur brother. Do u know maybe ur brother is suffering because he doesnt pay his tithe when he was working. If he pays, God will never 4get him. Dont worry about where the tithe ends as long as u have obey God's word. Obedience is better than sacrifice ooo

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (Reply)

I Am Now Thinking Like An ATHEIST. Help!! / What Does It Mean To Know God? John 17.3 / Nairalanders Incurring God's Wrath By Abusing God's Men

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 113
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.