Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,150,444 members, 7,808,591 topics. Date: Thursday, 25 April 2024 at 01:54 PM

Are There Similaries Between Christianity And Atheism? - Religion - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Religion / Are There Similaries Between Christianity And Atheism? (10208 Views)

Comparison Table Between Christianity, Islam And Judaism / Similarities Between Christianity And African Religion / Similarities And Differences Between Christianity And Islam (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (4) (Reply) (Go Down)

Are There Similaries Between Christianity And Atheism? by Nobody: 9:53am On Oct 04, 2011
We are seen many things on Nl and on the www. In fact on Nl we ve seen/heard many things that are astonishing.

Religion has been defined same as atheism. an atheist will choose to define atheism as the lack of belief in god/God. The question that comes to mind next is, why then do the atheists get outraged and feel uncomfortable at the mention of the name God?

I think what u don't believe in shouldn't get u scared or frightened except only if u have somethings in common with those that actually believe in same.

In as much as i wouldnt sanction the theists trying to force their beliefs on the atheists, same way i wouldn't accept the atheists doing same thing, claiming science says this or that. To date science is yet to tell us as a fact that there exists no God cos both science and God aren't related in my opinion. God is not a scientific name or tool, neither does God has a scientific definition, hence using science to prove the non existence of God is very illogical as far as im concerned. It takes faith to believe in God same way some atheists have so much faith in Evolution and that the christian God is a non entity.

Based on the foregoing, i have drawn some similarities that may be found between the Christians and the atheists from different sources. some may be right or wrong, but i think we should deal with those that are right.

[center][size=25pt]Similarities[/size][/center]

Christianity: Believe in God by faith

Atheism: Believe there is no God by faith

Christianity: Have been raised to believe in God

Atheism: Have been raised to believe in atheism and Darwinism. someone might want to say what do u mean? Please try to study about an atheist called Richard dawkins. Hes already championing this course and has already organized summer camps for kids aged 8 to 17, to teach atheism. This is the age bracket that attends Sunday school to learn about God and the Ten commandments

Christianity: Contradict "every effect has a cause" and therefore are wrong about the existence of God (In all actuality "every effect has a cause" is fallacious, the correct principle is "everything that begins to exist has a cause"

Atheism: Contradict "every effect has a cause" and therefore are wrong about the existence of the universe

Christianity: Hold to an inspired text (the Bible)

Atheism: Hold to many non-inspired texts (textbooks, atheistic philosophy, newspapers, and their own. thoughts) some on nairaland believes in the God delusion as a bible grin

Christianity: Believe in absolutes

Atheism: Believe in absolute relativism

Christianity: Think that there is only one way to salvation

Atheism: Have no such concept but are largely "works based" (in order to make themselves feel good)

Christianity: Believe that they are right and all other religious have some correct concepts of God as well

Atheism: Believe that they are right and everyone else is wrong

Christianity: Have a concept of what happens after death (resurrection)

Atheism: Have a concept of what happens after death (annihilation)

Christianity: Believe in an ultimate reality (God)

Atheism: Believe in an ultimate reality (themselves)

Christianity: Hold a faith based belief in intelligent, purposeful, creation

Atheism: Hold a faith based belief in random, undirected, spontaneous origin of life

Christianity: Believe in the God of the gaps

Atheism: Believe in the time, or chance, or materialism of the gaps

Christianity: Believe that all things can ultimately be explained by the existence of God

Atheism: Believe that all things can ultimately be explained by absolute materialism
Re: Are There Similaries Between Christianity And Atheism? by Nobody: 10:02am On Oct 04, 2011
Yes !!

They are both religions.

One is based on the ideology of Karl Marx.

One is based on the ideology of Christ.
Re: Are There Similaries Between Christianity And Atheism? by Nobody: 10:09am On Oct 04, 2011
Which of the two ideologies can be trusted the most?
Re: Are There Similaries Between Christianity And Atheism? by Enigma(m): 10:54am On Oct 04, 2011
They are both religions; not only that, they are now both evangelising religions.

Furthermore, while it may be true that some Christians do suffer from the Dunning-Kruger Effect, it is irrefutable that every single evangelical atheist suffers from the Dunning-Kruger Effectsmiley

cool
Re: Are There Similaries Between Christianity And Atheism? by Purist(m): 11:12am On Oct 04, 2011
toba:

Based on the foregoing, i have drawn some similarities that may be found between the Christians and the atheists from different sources.

No you didn't.  Someone else did.

http://www.truefreethinker.com/articles/basic-similarities-between-christianity-and-atheism
Re: Are There Similaries Between Christianity And Atheism? by Enigma(m): 11:26am On Oct 04, 2011
Ah, toba don't get caught like this oh; always remember to at least include the link. But I do not really think you were trying to plagiarise. smiley
Re: Are There Similaries Between Christianity And Atheism? by Nobody: 11:33am On Oct 04, 2011
Purist:

No you didn't.  Someone else did.

http://www.truefreethinker.com/articles/basic-similarities-between-christianity-and-atheism

Don't get confused by the English. I have[b] drawn means i lifted it from different sources[/b], with more still to come
Re: Are There Similaries Between Christianity And Atheism? by Purist(m): 11:37am On Oct 04, 2011
^^ SMH. grin

Just give it up already.
Re: Are There Similaries Between Christianity And Atheism? by Nobody: 11:38am On Oct 04, 2011
Enigma:

Ah, toba don't get caught like this oh; always remember to at least include the link. But I do not really think you were trying to plagiarise. smiley

No i wasn't caught in anything. My style of admitting the source is the word DRAWN Trust the atheists to chase shadows as usual when confronted by what they do and deny.

More still coming from different sources and would still be drawn from different sources
Re: Are There Similaries Between Christianity And Atheism? by zataxs: 11:54am On Oct 04, 2011
@enigma, when someone talks of Dunning-Kruger Effect without understanding it and puts it out of context. The jokes really on him. It does not make you look wise, quite the opposite.
In other words Dunning-Kruger Effect is not taken in by faith like the bible, but by scientific understanding.
It is a lot like when Intelligent "Designist" take up evolution. This is called bad science.
Re: Are There Similaries Between Christianity And Atheism? by Nobody: 11:55am On Oct 04, 2011
Enigma:

They are both religions; not only that, they are now both evangelising religions.

Furthermore, while it may be true that some Christians do suffer from the Dunning-Kruger Effect, it is irrefutable that every single evangelical atheist suffers from the Dunning-Kruger Effectsmiley

cool

they would surely run away from addressing the obvious. Evangelist Dawkins is really helping the atheist in the propagation of atheism just as the Christians are propagating the message of christ
Re: Are There Similaries Between Christianity And Atheism? by Purist(m): 11:58am On Oct 04, 2011
toba:

Stop derailing the thread and lets address the points raised

And what exactly do you wish to address?  So what if you somehow manage to establish the ridiculous notion that Christianity and Atheism are similar, what then would that prove?  That atheists are christians in diguise?  Or that christians are closet atheists?  What exactly is the point of this thread?

1 Like

Re: Are There Similaries Between Christianity And Atheism? by Enigma(m): 11:59am On Oct 04, 2011
^^^ That evangelical atheists are also religionists and should stop being hypocritical! smiley

cool
Re: Are There Similaries Between Christianity And Atheism? by Purist(m): 12:05pm On Oct 04, 2011
Enigma:

^^^ That evangelical atheists are also religionists and should stop being hypocritical! smiley

cool

So in essence, this is another of such "Atheism is a religion" threads. I still don't get what's there to discuss, seriously.
Re: Are There Similaries Between Christianity And Atheism? by Purist(m): 12:07pm On Oct 04, 2011
toba:

Instead of u to ignore him.

The worst he can do is to lock the thread which is ultravires cos hes got no such powers

You should cover your face in shame, fraudster. tongue
Re: Are There Similaries Between Christianity And Atheism? by Nobody: 12:18pm On Oct 04, 2011
Someone should please watch this video. The guy spoke very well.
[flash=800,510]
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=nRjQrYHnPo0?fs=1&hl=en[/flash]
Re: Are There Similaries Between Christianity And Atheism? by Nobody: 12:25pm On Oct 04, 2011
This thread has been derailed beyond measures
Re: Are There Similaries Between Christianity And Atheism? by Nobody: 12:28pm On Oct 04, 2011
Re: Are There Similaries Between Christianity And Atheism? by harakiri(m): 1:02pm On Oct 04, 2011
@Toba

Your thread is misleading. There are NO similarities between Christianity and Atheism. Using the most popular online dictionary (Wikipedia), they are defined as follows :

Christianity : is a monotheistic religion based on the life and teachings of Jesus as presented in Canonical gospels and other New testament writings. Adherents of the christian faith are known as Christians.

Atheism : is,in a broad sense the rejection of belief in the existence of deities. In a narrower sense,Atheism is specifically the position that there are no deities. Most inclusively,Atheism is simply the absence of belief that any deities exist. Atheism is contrasted with Theism.

The difference is blatantly clear for all to see. They are NO similarities rather they are absolute OPPOSITES of each other.Addressing your underlined "points" :

(1)Christians believe in God by faith. Atheists have no faith in anything. Stating that we do is a lie (isn't that a sin?)

(2)You're right in saying that Christians were raised into Christianity. You are wrong in attributing Atheism and "Darwinism" together. Not every Atheist agrees with Darwin's theories and a lot don't even know who Richard Dawkins is. Speaking for myself, i had already dumped religion long before i knew there were books on non-religiousness. Even at that, my world view is based on personal observations NOT what i read in a book or some YouTube video. Please make an effort to understand what you're talking about before making baseless statements that are outright lies.

(3)You say the bible is "inspired". Inspired by what and who? Furthermore, quit telling lies about Atheists. A lot of Atheists have never read a non-religious book in their lives. Those who weren't raised into religion have NO NEED to.

(4)You were probably born into a Christian home and that explains why you believe the only road to "salvation" is via Christianity. If you were born in Iran or Yemen, you would be here screaming "There is no god but Allah and his only prophet Mohammed". If you were born before the slave masters entered Africa, you would still believe Orunmila,Eledumare,Sango,Yemoja and Amadioha were the ultimate gods to be worshiped. The only reason you're a Christian today is because the slave trading invaders conquered your forefathers and therefore, they were forced to believe in the god of the "white man" as being the ultimate god (Have you ever thought of these issues for ONCE in your life?)

(5)For the umpteenth time, NOT EVERY ATHEIST IS AN EVOLUTIONIST! ! ! How many times must this be repeated? My being Atheist today has absolutely NOTHING to do with theories of evolution,atheist literature or YouTube videos. I lost faith in religion due to so many inconsistencies,falsehoods,voids and loopholes. Even the fact that Christianity presents itself as a religion of "peace and good" and yet the people who practice it do the exact opposite of what their book says is more than enough to lose faith in it. There is only one life to live and i refuse to waste one second of it deceiving myself in fallacious beliefs.

(6)Explain what you mean by "god of the gaps". If you mean all the inconsistencies,contradictions,lies and loopholes, then i agree with you.

Make an effort to provide straight forward answers instead of beating about the bush (that's the typical Modus Operandi with religious folks).
Re: Are There Similaries Between Christianity And Atheism? by JeSoul(f): 1:59pm On Oct 04, 2011
With apologies to any innocent posts/posters, I cleaned the thread. Pls carry on cordially. Thanks.
Re: Are There Similaries Between Christianity And Atheism? by Enigma(m): 2:03pm On Oct 04, 2011
Purist:

So in essence, this is another of such "Atheism is a religion" threads. I still don't get what's there to discuss, seriously.

Well it is not by force to discuss it! Afterall we now generally leave the evangelical atheists to their folly on their rubbish threads! smiley

cool
Re: Are There Similaries Between Christianity And Atheism? by Nobody: 2:07pm On Oct 04, 2011
@harakiri. I would respond to u soon

Enigma I hope u watched either of the videos
Re: Are There Similaries Between Christianity And Atheism? by Enigma(m): 2:15pm On Oct 04, 2011
^^^ I haven't yet; maybe later. smiley
Re: Are There Similaries Between Christianity And Atheism? by Sweetnecta: 3:05pm On Oct 04, 2011
@JeSoul; you need to get of that stuffy locker room. it may be the reason you deleted by dissenting view of a post. o ga o.
Re: Are There Similaries Between Christianity And Atheism? by Jenwitemi(m): 7:29pm On Oct 04, 2011
The most obvious similarity i have noticed is that they are both very DOGMATIC in their views, thus making the affiliated folks of these two opposing ways of thinking unyielding in their perspectives on life and how things work.

Both sides also make empirically unprovable claims that there is a God, and that there is NO God. Both claims being unprovable.
Both sides also have BODIES OF PRIESTHOOD who help to prop up the structures and contents of their ways of thinking. The theists(religionists) have their clergy, while the atheists their own scientists.
Re: Are There Similaries Between Christianity And Atheism? by justcool(m): 7:34pm On Oct 04, 2011
harakiri:

@Toba

Your thread is misleading. There are NO similarities between Christianity and Atheism. Using the most popular online dictionary (Wikipedia), they are defined as follows :

Christianity : is a monotheistic religion based on the life and teachings of Jesus as presented in Canonical gospels and other New testament writings. Adherents of the christian faith are known as Christians.

Atheism : is,in a broad sense the rejection of belief in the existence of deities. In a narrower sense,Atheism is specifically the position that there are no deities. Most inclusively,Atheism is simply the absence of belief that any deities exist. Atheism is contrasted with Theism.

The difference is blatantly clear for all to see. They are NO similarities rather they are absolute OPPOSITES of each other.Addressing your underlined "points" :

(1)Christians believe in God by faith. Atheists have no faith in anything. Stating that we do is a lie (isn't that a sin?)

(2)You're right in saying that Christians were raised into Christianity. You are wrong in attributing Atheism and "Darwinism" together. Not every Atheist agrees with Darwin's theories and a lot don't even know who Richard Dawkins is. Speaking for myself, i had already dumped religion long before i knew there were books on non-religiousness. Even at that, my world view is based on personal observations NOT what i read in a book or some YouTube video. Please make an effort to understand what you're talking about before making baseless statements that are outright lies.

(3)You say the bible is "inspired". Inspired by what and who? Furthermore, quit telling lies about Atheists. A lot of Atheists have never read a non-religious book in their lives. Those who weren't raised into religion have NO NEED to.

(4)You were probably born into a Christian home and that explains why you believe the only road to "salvation" is via Christianity. If you were born in Iran or Yemen, you would be here screaming "There is no god but Allah and his only prophet Mohammed". If you were born before the slave masters entered Africa, you would still believe Orunmila,Eledumare,Sango,Yemoja and Amadioha were the ultimate gods to be worshiped. The only reason you're a Christian today is because the slave trading invaders conquered your forefathers and therefore, they were forced to believe in the god of the "white man" as being the ultimate god (Have you ever thought of these issues for ONCE in your life?)

(5)For the umpteenth time, NOT EVERY ATHEIST IS AN EVOLUTIONIST! ! ! How many times must this be repeated? My being Atheist today has absolutely NOTHING to do with theories of evolution,atheist literature or YouTube videos. I lost faith in religion due to so many inconsistencies,falsehoods,voids and loopholes. Even the fact that Christianity presents itself as a religion of "peace and good" and yet the people who practice it do the exact opposite of what their book says is more than enough to lose faith in it. There is only one life to live and i refuse to waste one second of it deceiving myself in fallacious beliefs.

(6)Explain what you mean by "god of the gaps". If you mean all the inconsistencies,contradictions,lies and loopholes, then i agree with you.

Make an effort to provide straight forward answers instead of beating about the bush (that's the typical Modus Operandi with religious folks).

@hakiri
Please dispute this striking similarity:

Both the alleged atheist and religionist(not only Christianity) believe that the universe was created or caused by an uncaused causer, an eternal and infinite deity(or thing) that has neither a beginning nor an end. Both believe that this deity existed before the present state of the universe

The religionist or believer believes that this deity is a conscious being. He calls this deity God.

The alleged atheist believes that this deity is nature. It existed as a singularity before the big slam; it became or created the present state of the universe during the big slam. Before the big slam it was a non-physical singularity; and during the big slam it created the physical world or it became physical.

So the bottom line is that the alleged atheist believes that this deity is a thing (an infinite unexplainable singularity) that has always existed in one form or another, and requires no creator.

The theist believes that this deity is a being (God) has always existed, and requires no creator.

Now do the math!! The alleged atheists have just substituted God with nature, the universe, or the singularity that existed before the big slam. One ascribes the origin of the universe to an unexplainable infinite singularity; the other ascribes the origin of the universe to an unexplainable God. Keep in mind that some religionist’s description of God very closely sounds like the theist’s “infinite singularity” only expressed in different words!

The fact that alleged atheist does not worship or pray to this singularity that he ascribes the origin of the universe to, does not make him any different from the religionist. Remember there are the religionists who do not believe in worship and prayer either.

While you digest this, keep in mind that a deity doesn’t necessarily have to be a being or a living thing; a thing or a phenomenon can also be regarded as a deity, especially if that thing or phenomenon is held in high esteem or ascribed some supernatural powers to. Such supernatural powers as atheists ascribe to the singularity that caused the universe.

Finally the belief in either God, (whether the infinite singularity or God of the religionist) requires faith, because neither the belief nor the non-belief can be based purely on science.

I use the expression “alleged atheist” because most people who parade themselves as atheists are in reality theists, only that they do not believe in the religionist’s perception of the creator. Anybody who believes in anything regarding the beginning or causation of the universe cannot be regarded a true atheist. I have never seen one; in fact, in my opinion, it is impossible for a human being to be a true atheist. Human always believe in something regarding the origin of anything they came in contact with.

The people who parade themselves as atheists are only alleged because they only reject the creator as a deity, or as a living deity; but they always believe in the creator (causer of the universe) as phenomenon that is different from God of the religionist.

A true atheist should not believe in the idea of pre-present universe, he should scorn the idea of the cause of the universe as a non-physical infinite singularity. He should simply see the physical as all that there is, and as always being physical; thus requiring no creation or transformation from any non-physical state. But then still, he wouldn’t be a true atheist; he would only have substituted God with the physical!
Re: Are There Similaries Between Christianity And Atheism? by harakiri(m): 8:00pm On Oct 04, 2011
@justcool, Did you read through my post or skimmed through? I am an Atheist and I do not believe any theory on evolution. Even many christians are evolutionists. I have no explanation for evolution but I neither believe the religious nor scientific explanation. How many times do I have to repeat this on nairaland? Atheism is simply the disbelief in religion. Period! Evolution issues is another dimension of discourse.
Re: Are There Similaries Between Christianity And Atheism? by Nobody: 8:06pm On Oct 04, 2011
^^^
An atheist who does not even believe in Evolution undecided

This is even worse than I thought.

grin grin grin grin grin grin grin grin grin grin grin
Re: Are There Similaries Between Christianity And Atheism? by Enigma(m): 8:08pm On Oct 04, 2011
To be honest, there are not that many intellectually honest or sound positions for an evangelical atheist. Two options that I can readily identify are:

1. the evangelical atheist maintains his assertion that there is no God but is honest enough to accept that this assertion is based only on faith in the final analysis.

2. eat humble pie, be truthful and "upgrade" to agnosticism.

I'd be happy to see any further suggestions.
Re: Are There Similaries Between Christianity And Atheism? by justcool(m): 8:17pm On Oct 04, 2011
harakiri:

@justcool, Did you read through my post or skimmed through? I am an Atheist and I do not believe any theory on evolution. Even many christians are evolutionists. I have no explanation for evolution but I neither believe the religious nor scientific explanation. How many times do I have to repeat this on nairaland? Atheism is simply the disbelief in religion. Period! Evolution issues is another dimension of discourse.

@harakiri

My brother calm down; sorry if I appear to have skimmed through your post before replying, I will take time to read through it again.

Please re-read the last paragraph of my post and you will see where you belong. I didn't say anything about evolution. You don't believe in the infinite singularity, you don't believe in God either; but you believe that the physical universe exists, and that it has always existed. Thus, to you, the physical universe requires no creator, it is the creator; at least it created itself and everything in it. Haven't you just substitute God with the physical universe? So you are not really a true atheist.

Having no conception of how everything came into being does not make you an atheist either; it makes an agnostic. Agnosticism does not necessarily equate to atheism. Read agnosticism: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Agnosticism

Thanks.
Re: Are There Similaries Between Christianity And Atheism? by UyiIredia(m): 8:28pm On Oct 04, 2011
@ toba >>> Well noted similarities
Re: Are There Similaries Between Christianity And Atheism? by mazaje(m): 8:29pm On Oct 04, 2011
toba:

We are seen many things on Nl and on the www. In fact on Nl we ve seen/heard many things that are astonishing.

Religion has been defined same as atheism. an atheist will choose to define atheism as the lack of belief in god/God. The question that comes to mind next is, why then do the atheists get outraged and feel uncomfortable at the mention of the name God?

Atheist get outraged and uncomfortable when the name of God is mentioned? How?. . . .

I think what u don't believe in shouldn't get u scared or frightened except only if u have somethings in common with those that actually believe in same.

Evidence that atheist are scared of any God. . . .

In as much as i wouldnt sanction the theists trying to force their beliefs on the atheists, same way i wouldn't accept the atheists doing same thing, claiming science says this or that. To date science is yet to tell us as a fact that there exists no God cos both science and God aren't related in my opinion. God is not a scientific name or tool, neither does God has a scientific definition, hence using science to prove the non existence of God is very illogical as far as im concerned. It takes faith to believe in God same way some atheists have so much faith in Evolution and that the christian God is a non entity.

More theist believe in Evolution than atheist, majority of American and European theist believe in evolution than creationism that's a fact. . . .What you are saying is that God is nothing right?. . . .Science has nothing to do with God but it remains the BEST way to know and understand the world and the universe we live in. . .Science has done for humanity what no God or religion has done or can ever do. . .The christian God is an imaginary being created out of the thoughts of men, and as such that God relies on men to do everything for it. . .It relies on men to propagate its word, teach others about him, fight its wars, build its temples, set its doctrines and laws because that God is nothing but a myth created by men. . . .If the christian God is real we won't be here having this conversation, When was the last time you heard people arguing or debating the existence of the sun?. . . .

Based on the foregoing, i have drawn some similarities that may be found between the Christians and the atheists from different sources. some may be right or wrong, but i think we should deal with those that are right.

Most of what you have written are plain wrong. . .

(1) (2) (3) (4) (Reply)

Imagine A Worldwide Ban On Bibles / Christ Holy Church Aka Odozi-obodo: Share Your Experience Or Views / In What Way Has This Religious Section Benefited You?

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 92
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.