Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,150,347 members, 7,808,216 topics. Date: Thursday, 25 April 2024 at 08:52 AM

Dalai Lama To Be Absent From Desmond Tutu Birthday After Visa Controversy - Politics - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Politics / Dalai Lama To Be Absent From Desmond Tutu Birthday After Visa Controversy (1388 Views)

Fulani Crisis: Buhari Meeting With Governors, See Who Is Absent / Official Photos From Desmond Elliot’s Inauguration Yesterday / Buhari Absent At APC Rally In London- Report (2) (3) (4)

(1) (Reply) (Go Down)

Dalai Lama To Be Absent From Desmond Tutu Birthday After Visa Controversy by kenifeh(m): 12:26pm On Oct 04, 2011
The Dalai Lama says he has been forced to pull out of Archbishop Desmond Tutu's 80th birthday celebrations because South Africa did not grant him an entry visa.

Civil rights campaigners reacted furiously to the news, claiming that South Africa had buckled under pressure from China, its biggest trading partner, which regards the Dalai Lama as a dangerous separatist.

Tutu had invited his fellow Nobel peace laureate to deliver a lecture to mark his milestone birthday in Cape Town on Friday. Officials from the archbishop emeritus's office started the visa application process in June but were hit by a series of bureaucratic delays.

On Tuesday, the Dalai Lama's office finally gave up. "His Holiness was to depart for South Africa on 6 October, 2011, but visas have not been granted yet," it said. "We are, therefore, now convinced that for whatever reason or reasons, the South African government finds it inconvenient to issue a visa to His Holiness the Dalai Lama."

A candlelit vigil outside the South African parliament in Cape Town on Monday night drew around 250 protesters demanding that the Tibetan spiritual leader be allowed into the country. Instead there was bitter disappointment on Tuesday morning, when it was announced the eight-day trip had been called off. Civil rights campaigners blamed the government with expressions of anger and shame.

Nomfundo Walaza, chief executive of the Desmond Tutu Peace Centre , said: "I'm shocked and dismayed that they would let it come to this point. I still had hope after the vigil last night that we would wake up this morning to hear the visa had been issued.

"It's a shame. I think it's the darkest moment in the history of this country for this to be allowed to happen. We worked so hard on this, we put our heart and soul into it. For a religous leader of the Dalai Lama's standing to be refused is not acceptable. It's sad that this is what our democracy is all about." She had not yet spoken to Tutu, Walaza added, "but I'm sure he is devastated."

Ela Gandhi, who had planned to present the Dalai Lama with a peace prize in the name of her grandfather, Mahatma Gandhi, said: "I'm very disappointed. We were looking forward to him coming and to presenting the award.

"I really feel the whole situation has been handled so badly. It's discourteous for a person of his stature to be told to wait for so long. For a person of peace to be treated like this is wrong."

She continued: "Everybody thinks this is because of pressure from China. It's very sad that another country is allowed to dictate terms to our government. It's going back to aparteid times. I am ashamed of my own country."

Activists who had been campaigning for the 76-year-old spiritual leader's visit joined the condemnation.

Hennie van Vuuren, director of the Institute for Security Studies in Cape Town, said: "I'm deeply disappointed that the South African government didn't find the wisdom to do the right thing. It makes no sense given that the Dalai Lama recently went to Brazil and Mexico. It shows the issue cannot be about China alone.

"South African foreign policy is increasingly showing incoherence. It undermines the strong human rights record of this country. It flies in the face of the desire of most South Africans to uphold our constitutional democracy."

South African foreign ministry officials have consistently denied accusations they were bowing to pressure from Beijing. Asked for his reaction to the Dalai Lama's decision, spokesman Clayson Monyela said: "We don't have a reaction. He's cancelled his trip and that's it.

"We have not said no. We've not refused him a visa; the visa was still being processed. It's only on 20 September that he submitted his full paperwork. In some countries, a visa can take two months. I don't know why people are criticising the government."

The Dalai Lama visited South Africa in 1996, meeting the then president, Nelson Mandela, but was prevented from attending a Nobel laureates' conference in the country two years ago, when the government said his visit would distract from preparations for the football World Cup. At the time, Tutu called the decision disgraceful, and accused the authorities of bowing to pressure from China.

Source: http://www.guardian.co.uk/world/2011/oct/04/dalai-lama-desmond-tutu-visa
Re: Dalai Lama To Be Absent From Desmond Tutu Birthday After Visa Controversy by kenifeh(m): 12:36pm On Oct 04, 2011
This is the second time this is happening. It is a disgrace to the whole of Africa. I am in Johannesburg and have been looking forward to meeting the Dalai Lama. I have even booked a place in the lecture hall at University of the Witwatersrand, where he was scheduled to deliver a lecture on the 12th of October.

This attitude of compromising the truth is the county's worst nightmare. South Africa was one of the least to declare support for the NTC regime in Lybia. It is a pity that South Africa we all struggled to deliver from apartheid would fail to deliver on our collective dream. It is sad that this country of great heros have been hijacked by forces of falsehood.
Re: Dalai Lama To Be Absent From Desmond Tutu Birthday After Visa Controversy by Nobody: 12:41pm On Oct 04, 2011
kenifeh:

This is the second time this is happening. It is a disgrace to the whole of Africa. I am in Johannesburg and have been looking forward to meeting the Dalai Lama. I have even booked a place in the lecture hall at University of the Witwatersrand, where he was scheduled to deliver a lecture on the 12th of October.

This attitude of compromising the truth is the county's worst nightmare. South Africa was one of the least to declare support for the NTC regime in Lybia. It is a pity that South Africa we all struggled to deliver from apartheid would fail to deliver on our collective dream. It is sad that this country of great heros have been hijacked by forces of falsehood.

If you are looking forward to meeting him,why not travel to his hometown and do that ? South Africa won't sacrifice her national interest and relations with china just to satisfy a separatist.
Re: Dalai Lama To Be Absent From Desmond Tutu Birthday After Visa Controversy by kodewrita(m): 12:50pm On Oct 04, 2011
So it seems south africa wants to get known as an enemy of freedom. all right.
~Bluetooth:

If you are looking forward to meeting him,why not travel to his hometown and do that ? South Africa won't sacrifice her national interest and relations with china just to satisfy a separatist.
Nobody shows any respect for yes-men. South african interests are distinct from chinese interests and should remain so. The world needs an impartial south africa more than it needs a power-hungry, myopic and distasteful one.
Re: Dalai Lama To Be Absent From Desmond Tutu Birthday After Visa Controversy by kenifeh(m): 12:52pm On Oct 04, 2011

@Bluetooth - I will not respond to this. Its not your fault, its just unfortunate that you are ignorant of the fact that you are part of a universal battle between forces of good and forces of evil. It is the ignorance of people like you that is causing the problems we are having in Nigeria today.
Re: Dalai Lama To Be Absent From Desmond Tutu Birthday After Visa Controversy by Nobody: 12:54pm On Oct 04, 2011
kodewrita:

So it seems south africa wants to get known as an enemy of freedom. all right. Nobody shows any respect for yes-men. South african interests are distinct from chinese interests and should remain so. The world needs an impartial south africa more than it needs a power-hungry, myopic and distasteful one.
So SA is an enemy of freedom because it refused to access to dalai lama;a separatist for that matter ? Anyways,what will you also tell me about US that has also refused to recognize a palesthine sovereign state ?
Re: Dalai Lama To Be Absent From Desmond Tutu Birthday After Visa Controversy by Nobody: 12:57pm On Oct 04, 2011
kenifeh:

@Bluetooth - I will not respond to this. Its not your fault, its just unfortunate that you are ignorant of the fact that you are part of a universal battle between forces of good and forces of evil. It is the ignorance of people like you that is causing the problems we are having in Nigeria today.

My bad
And you campaigner of freedom,what have you contributed to Nigeria since independence ?
Re: Dalai Lama To Be Absent From Desmond Tutu Birthday After Visa Controversy by kodewrita(m): 1:24pm On Oct 04, 2011
~Bluetooth:

So SA is an enemy of freedom because it refused to access to dalai lama;a separatist for that matter ? Anyways,what will you also tell me about US that has also refused to recognize a palesthine sovereign state ?
I guess we can call the palestinians separatists too abi
which country tried to maintain a tyrant in power in Ivory Coast (actually sent a warship)? South Africa
which country tried to maintain another tyrant in power in Libya? South Africa
which country still actively supports another tyrant in Zimbabwe? South Africa
Re: Dalai Lama To Be Absent From Desmond Tutu Birthday After Visa Controversy by WebSurfer(m): 1:32pm On Oct 04, 2011
;d ;d ;d ;d
Re: Dalai Lama To Be Absent From Desmond Tutu Birthday After Visa Controversy by fred2265: 1:47pm On Oct 04, 2011
Re: Dalai Lama To Be Absent From Desmond Tutu Birthday After Visa Controversy by johnie: 7:19pm On Oct 04, 2011
The SA govt has always been clueless in foreign policy matters.

Check out their response to the Ivorian,Egyptian, Libyan, Burma (Myanmar) and Zimbabwe crises.

https://www.nairaland.com/nigeria/topic-639186.0.html#msg8058368

Mar 24th 2011 | JOHANNESBURG | from the print edition

South Africa's foreign policy
All over the place

South Africa is joining the BRICs without much straw

“WE SAY no to the killing of civilians!” Jacob Zuma, South Africa’s president, thundered on March 21st. “No to the foreign occupation of Libya or any other sovereign state!” The crowd, mainly supporters of the ruling African National Congress (ANC), roared back its approval. Theirs, after all, was the country of human rights, a beacon to the world, as their first black president, Nelson Mandela, had proclaimed. Just four days earlier, however, South Africa had voted for the UN Security Council resolution calling for “all necessary measures” to be taken to protect Libyan civilians under threat, including the imposition of a no-fly zone. Did Mr Zuma believe this could be done without recourse to force? He is not that naive.

These days South Africa’s foreign policy swings back and forth. Under Thabo Mbeki, Mr Zuma’s globe-trotting predecessor, it seemed to have an overarching aim, at least on paper: the promotion of an “African renaissance”, even if that meant ignoring the human-rights violations of some of South Africa’s allies. But now, as Mr Zuma flits ever more energetically around the world, charming everyone as he always does, it is hard to find a pattern to his policies. “None of it makes any real sense,” says Tom Wheeler, a former South African ambassador and now a research fellow with the South African Institute of International Affairs: “There’s no substance, no coherence.”

In fact, South Africa often appears to be pursuing two contradictory sets of values. At one moment, Mr Zuma is upholding the principles of national sovereignty and non-interference dear to despots around the world. At the next, he insists that his “primary objective” is to contribute to the ideals of democracy, human rights and justice. The result is a mishmash of unpredictable responses to apparently similar situations in different countries.

In the face of the recent uprising in Egypt, for example, Mr Zuma joined the international chorus demanding the resignation of Hosni Mubarak, the president. But in the face of dreadful factional violence and impending civil war in Côte d’Ivoire, South Africa sat on the fence for months, refusing to accept Alassane Ouattara’s internationally recognised victory in November’s presidential elections until earlier this month, when it endorsed the call of the peace and security committee of the African Union (AU) for the defeated incumbent, Laurent Gbagbo, to step down. In Swaziland, Africa’s last absolute monarchy, right on South Africa’s doorstep, Mr Zuma remains obdurately silent over the violation of civil rights and the suppression of pro-democracy protests, yet recently recalled his ambassador to Israel after Israeli commandos stopped a flotilla of pro-Palestinian campaigners from reaching Gaza, killing nine Turks on board.

The same contradiction is seen in South Africa’s handling of Myanmar and Zimbabwe. In Myanmar Mr Zuma did not hesitate to condemn November’s rigged elections and call for the release of the opposition leader, Aung San Suu Kyi. Yet he refrains from peeping a word of public criticism of Zimbabwe’s ageing dictator, Robert Mugabe, despite a string of rigged and robbed elections, killings, torture and other state-sponsored violence. Last October South Africa appeared to change its studied neutrality on Iran’s nuclear plans, voting for UN sanctions on Iran, only to claim that it had actually intended to vote against the measure. And when the jailed Chinese dissident, Liu Xiaobo, was awarded the Nobel peace prize in December, South Africa was one of the few countries to refuse to congratulate him.

Next month South Africa is due to be formally inducted into membership of the BRICs, a club of regional power brokers embracing Brazil, Russia, India and China, which have recently shown a desire to use their combined size and economic might—together they account for 40% of the world’s population—to counter the West’s global dominion. They also want to reform such institutions as the UN Security Council and the World Bank.

Will South Africa—its GDP, population and land mass all dwarfed by the BRIC giants—find itself obliged to align its foreign policy more with its new peers, notably Russia and China? Perhaps not, judging by its recent vote in favour of the Libyan no-fly zone. The other BRICS (with a capital S), as the enlarged group will be known, all abstained. Perhaps, after Mr Zuma’s latest exclamation, South Africa will again claim it had really meant to vote against the resolution.

http://www.economist.com/node/18447027

Re: Dalai Lama To Be Absent From Desmond Tutu Birthday After Visa Controversy by johnie: 7:44pm On Oct 04, 2011
Desmond Tutu attacks South African government over Dalai Lama ban

Furious archbishop warns ruling ANC to 'watch out' after Tibetan spiritual leader is denied visa to attend birthday party

Archbishop Desmond Tutu, visibly shaking with anger, compared the South African government unfavourably with the apartheid regime and threatened to pray for the downfall of the African National Congress (ANC) yesterday after the Dalai Lama said he was forced to pull out of Tutu's 80th birthday celebrations because he had not been granted an entry visa.

"Our government is worse than the apartheid government because at least you would expect it with the apartheid government," Tutu told a press conference in Cape Town. "Our government we expect to be sensitive to the sentiments of our constitution."

In a tirade that stunned South African journalists, he went on: "Let the ANC know they have a large majority. Well, Mubarak had a large majority, Gaddafi had a large majority. I am warning you: watch out. Watch out.

"Our government – representing me! – says it will not support Tibetans being viciously oppressed by China. You, president Zuma and your government, do not represent me. I am warning you, as I warned the [pro-apartheid] nationalists, one day we will pray for the defeat of the ANC government."

Tutu had invited his fellow Nobel peace laureate to deliver a lecture to mark his milestone birthday in Cape Town on Friday. Officials from the archbishop emeritus's office started the visa application processin June but met a series of bureaucratic delays.

On Tuesday the Dalai Lama's office finally gave up on the application for the 76-year-old. "His holiness was to depart for South Africa on 6 October, but visas have not been granted yet," a spokesperson for the office said. "We are, therefore, now convinced that, for whatever reason or reasons, the South African government finds it inconvenient to issue a visa to … the Dalai Lama."

Tutu said he was still struggling to make sense of what had happened. "I have to say I can't believe it, I really can't believe it," he exclaimed. "Wake me up and tell me this is actually happening here. It's quite unbelievable. The discourtesy they have shown to the Dalai Lama. The Dalai Lama!

"The Dalai Lama, anywhere in the world, they have problems finding a venue that can contain the people who want him. He goes to New York and Central Park is overflowing. The discourtesy is mindblowing."

Asked if he felt the Tibetan spiritual leader had in effect been banned from the country, Tutu replied: "To all intents and purposes, yes. This is the Dalai Lama. Incredible.

"Many, many people are appalled in many parts of the world, especially people who supported us during the struggle. They are weeping and saying, 'South Africa? It can't be.'"

Tutu's daughter, Mpho, said the government's actions had not matched "what we dreamed we would be, who we hoped we would become as a country and as a people". Clearly overcome with emotion, she added: "It is with great sadness that we sit here."

A candlelit vigil outside the South African parliament in Cape Town on Monday drew about 250 people demanding the Tibetan spiritual leader be allowed into the country. There was bitter disappointment on Tuesday morning when it was announced that the eight-day trip had been called off. Civil rights activists blamed the government.

Ela Gandhi, who planned to present the Dalai Lama with a peace prize in the name of her grandfather, Mahatma Gandhi, said: "I'm very disappointed. We were looking forward to him coming and to presenting the award. I really feel the whole situation has been handled so badly. It's discourteous for a person of his stature to be told to wait for so long. For a person of peace to be treated like this is wrong."

She added: "Everybody thinks this is because of pressure from China. It's very sad another country is allowed to dictate terms to our government. It's going back to apartheid times. I am ashamed of my own country."

South African foreign ministry officials have consistently denied accusations they have been bowing to pressure from Beijing. Asked for his reaction to the Dalai Lama's decision, a spokesman, Clayson Monyela, said: "We don't have a reaction. He's cancelled his trip and that's it. We have not said no. We've not refused him a visa; the visa was still being processed. It's only on 20 September that he submitted his full paperwork. In some countries a visa can take two months. I don't know why people are criticising the government."

The Dalai Lama visited South Africa in 1996, meeting Nelson Mandela, but was prevented from attending a Nobel laureates' conference in the country two years ago, when the government said his visit would distract from World Cup preparations. At the time, Tutu called the decision disgraceful, and accused the authorities of bowing to pressure from China.

South Africa's official opposition has added its voice to the criticism of the stalled visa.

Stevens Mokgalapa, shadow deputy foreign minister for the Democratic Alliance, said: "The inescapable conclusion is that the South African government has predictably strung the Dalai Lama along to make it impossible for him to plan his trip. That way it could avoid making a decision that would either upset the Chinese or upset millions of peace-loving South Africans and citizens around the globe.

"But by delaying [the visa decision] the government made its choice: it allowed China to dictate foreign policy. This is a sad day for those of us who believe in a sovereign foreign policy based on ubuntu [a humanist philosophy] and human rights. It is not acceptable that the government has allowed a breach of this sovereignty by bowing to pressure from a foreign power."

While the Dalai Lama is excluded, other leading international activists will join three days of birthday events. The U2 singer Bono is expected to speak at the launch of a biography, Tutu: The Authorised Portrait, in Cape Town on Thursday.

Bono has also reportedly been invited to join former the US president Jimmy Carter, the former UN secretary general Kofi Annan, and the British businessman Richard Branson at a picnic at a vineyard on Friday. A public church commemoration will be held earlier that day.

http://www.guardian.co.uk/world/2011/oct/04/tutu-attacks-anc-dalai-lama-visa/print
Re: Dalai Lama To Be Absent From Desmond Tutu Birthday After Visa Controversy by playmode(m): 7:48pm On Oct 04, 2011
Dalai Lama ko! , Dalai yansh ni! Trust africans to reason in a "Negro" manner.Why should Zuma compromise the economic ties of his country with china because of one individual?

Why can't you guys stop being slaves to the west and for once think about what is best for Africans.Zuma may be the worst SA president ever but not allowing Dalai lama to enter SA is a wise move.Should south africans now be made to suffer because of one man?

China is the new super power and anyone who goes against them is just committing economic suicide.Zuma's initial support for gadaffi is also a great move and not suprising.Gadaffi contributed more than anyone else on the African continent to the freedom of South Africa.Fidel Castro and Gadaffi matter most to the people of South Africa more than anyone else.Have you forgotten that fidel actually sent his soldiers to come and fight the Apartheid Government? You people talk about freedom ,do you know that Gadaffi single handedly freed Africa from telecommunications slavery? If not for gadaffi ,companies like Glo may not exist today.How quick you forget those who have done great deeds in order to please the imperialists.

Zuma should look out for SA's interests ,FXCK everybody else.If the situation was reversed will dalai lama not do the same thing?

Leave South Africa alone and focus on your country where the shxt has hit the fan.Has jonathan not made horrible blunders himself? Jonathan is  an obama slave with no common sense or mind of his own.That is why up till date the west are still polluting his home  region of Niger delta.

By the way a lot of people regard Tutu as a joker who flip flops like the wind.
Re: Dalai Lama To Be Absent From Desmond Tutu Birthday After Visa Controversy by johnie: 9:08pm On Oct 04, 2011
playmode:

Zuma's initial support for gadaffi is also a great move and not suprising.Gadaffi contributed more than anyone else on the African continent to the freedom of South Africa.Fidel Castro and Gadaffi matter most to the people of South Africa more than anyone else.Have you forgotten that fidel actually sent his soldiers to come and fight the Apartheid Government? You people talk about freedom ,do you know that Gadaffi single handedly freed Africa from telecommunications slavery? If not for gadaffi ,companies like Glo may not exist today.How quick you forget those who have done great deeds in order to please the imperialists.

How quickly have the South Africans forgotten all that Nigeria did for SA during the apartheid era? If not for Nigeria's foreign policy of making Africa the centre piece where will a lot of African countries who today disparage Nigeria be?

playmode:

Leave South Africa alone and focus on your country where the shxt has hit the fan.Has jonathan not made horrible blunders himself? Jonathan is  an obama slave with no common sense or mind of his own.That is why up till date the west are still polluting his home  region of Niger delta.

Would you rather Jonathan was a slave of the Chinese like you present Zuma to be?
Re: Dalai Lama To Be Absent From Desmond Tutu Birthday After Visa Controversy by playmode(m): 8:30am On Oct 05, 2011
johnie:

How quickly have the South Africans forgotten all that Nigeria did for SA during the apartheid era? If not for Nigeria's foreign policy of making Africa the centre piece where will a lot of African countries who today disparage Nigeria be?

Would you rather Jonathan was a slave of the Chinese like you present Zuma to be?

Yes i would rather have Jonathan be a slave of the Chinese than the Americans .Please name one good thing the west have done for Nigeria in the past 51 years. I mean name one good thing they have done that the Nigerians masses or African masses have benefited from ,just one good thing. And please don't talk about monetary AIDS because we all know they AID they send is used to arm rebels.

Americans themselves hate their Government and question their lies all the time so i don't understand why Africans kiss their azz all the time.

The Chinese of course have their own hidden agenda but at least they invest in Africa and create jobs. The west on the hand prefers to bomb Africa and build military bases. Where does your loyalty lie? With the west or with your fellow Africans. If we are develop as a continent and a race we have to look out for our own best interest first and stop caring what the "broke" west thinks. Do you really think the west wants Africa to prosper? Please don't be deluded. Africa has no friends ,we are regarded as the lowest ranking race on the planet ,we are seen as pawns to used at will by super powers. The sooner we get our act together and start making decisions that will benefit our people more the better for our future generations. We may be independent but many of our brothers are still enslaved in their minds.

Do some research and find out about the New World Order. Gadaffi was attacked because he wanted to establish an African gold currency that will never loose value. He was not attacked because he was attacking his people. Why is the US and UN quiet about Bahrain and Saudi Arabia?

And yes i will say this because they are true:

9/11 was an inside Job orchestrated by the CIA and the Mossad with the approval of Bush, Cheney , the Rockefellers and the Bilderberg group. Osama had no knowledge of the attack ,that is why his family in the US was allowed to leave the US 24hrs after the attack.

Please do some research and watch documentaries : http://www.911docs.net the WTC 7 building was what broke the camel's back for me because that was a clear lie. Questioning the official story does not make you a conspiracy theorist,it  just means that you can’t be fooled easily. Watch those docs made by real Americans and tell me if those are conspiracy theories or questions asked based on real undeniable facts.

At least 90% of the hijackers were trained at CIA camps in the United States in the late 80s and early 90s during the Afghan/russia war.

Osama Bin Laden died in December 2001 from lung sickness. The guys killed in the 2011 in Pakistan were top ISS officers. That is why the picture was not released. All other Osamas used after that date in videos were actors who had their faces modelled to look like him.Even his son said those actors were not his father.

Obama may be a democrat but he is a member of the same satanic cult sect(Skull and bone) which Bush belongs to. He is also a hand tool of George soros who is one of the leading members of bilderberg group aka the NWO mafia.

Now i will also tell you this even though it has not happened yet, there is a new deliberate plane to crash the US economy once again within the next 18 months. The culprit as usual is the bilderberg group. At the moment we don't know what they intend to gain from this move but some analysts feel that Chinese investments in the US property market are being targeted. You see the US is now poo scared of china so they are trying everything to slow china down to no avail.

Africa is the world's new battleground. On one side the communists russia ,china and other side the west. If our leaders do not stand up and make decisions that are only beneficial to African then you will see new wars erupt in Africa. We are our own worst enemy because unlike the Asians ,the west e.t.c we don’t have a mind of our own. We are always looking to follow while others lead.
Re: Dalai Lama To Be Absent From Desmond Tutu Birthday After Visa Controversy by Naledi14(f): 9:17am On Oct 06, 2011
@playmode i am pleased by your comment. I would advise anyone to educate themselevs about the NWO it is real and have gained alot of momentum in the last decade for anyone who is interested check out educate-yourself.org. Its a shame about the dalai lama this is the second year in a row they have denied him entry i think he should keep trying each year.
Re: Dalai Lama To Be Absent From Desmond Tutu Birthday After Visa Controversy by kodewrita(m): 1:18pm On Oct 06, 2011
New World Order? So because of that bogeyman, we must stop showing compassion for people under oppression. Just another Animal Farm argument on NL.

Are the chinese oppressing tibetans, uighurs and so many other people ? Yes
Are the chinese funding tyrants in africa? yes
Are the chinese employing negative economic practices like dumping or slave labor to enter and dominate african markets? Yes
Are the chinese usually ethical in securing contracts? No
Are the chinese any good in the long term for any african country? A BLATANT NO.

yet you would rather jonathan was slave to them.
Re: Dalai Lama To Be Absent From Desmond Tutu Birthday After Visa Controversy by johnie: 8:55am On Oct 07, 2011
^^

Bless you!
Re: Dalai Lama To Be Absent From Desmond Tutu Birthday After Visa Controversy by RSA(m): 1:38pm On Oct 07, 2011
I personally think South African goverment did well by delaying granting Dalai Lama a visa.This was Tutu's political trap for the ANC and Jacob Zuma.Tutu hate Zuma with passion,he started 'praying' for his downfall since Zuma forced Mbeki to resign from presidency.
He called Zuma names and made the whole thing emotional,personal and some even suspect that it is also tribal,since he is Xhosa with Mandela and Mbeki.
During the last election he didn't vote.He knew the position of the ANC regarding their committment to the Chinese and all he wanted to do was to expose them,and he succeded.

And also most people here forget that China and Russia played a massive role in helping the ANC during apaartheid days.Apaartheid South Africa was a big Allies of the British and Americans and ANC possible allies could only be the communist countries.Most of our current leaders studied in Cuba,Russia and China.
ANC militaty wing Umkhonto We Sizwe was trained and supplied by this communist countries.

Point I'm trying to make is that China,Russia and Cuba relationship with South Africa is an old one.And let's not forget that during the cold war,apaartheid years for us,Dalai was very close to the Americans and the west.And during his visits to the west Dalai never spoke against apaartheid.
Re: Dalai Lama To Be Absent From Desmond Tutu Birthday After Visa Controversy by kodewrita(m): 1:41pm On Oct 07, 2011
^^^^ So now that you are free from discrimination, it is time to repay the world by commiting the same crime. He probably never spoke against apartheid because he was too busy fighting his own battles too.

Dont make it a tribal thing. South africa goofed on this one.
Re: Dalai Lama To Be Absent From Desmond Tutu Birthday After Visa Controversy by RSA(m): 1:53pm On Oct 07, 2011
kodewrita:

^^^^ So now that you are free from discrimination, it is time to repay the world by commiting the same crime. He probably never spoke against apartheid because he was too busy fighting his own battles too.
Dont make it a tribal thing. South africa goofed on this one.

All I said is that South Africa just like any country looks after its own interests,we have allies that where formed during our dark days and we are loyal to them as they have been to us.

Tutu have his own issues,South Africa knows it and Dalai's visit was just an opportunity for him to get the support.I personally like Tutu,but he is too emotional,too forgiving and try hard to please white,he likes to play for the crowd.

Are you aware that Dalai was going to be in the country at the time when our Deputy President was in a official visit to China? 
http://siteground243.com/~hiram155/2011/10/05/china-south-africa-sign-deals-on-mineral-resources-and-financial-cooperation/
Re: Dalai Lama To Be Absent From Desmond Tutu Birthday After Visa Controversy by kodewrita(m): 1:55pm On Oct 07, 2011
RSA:

All I said is that South Africa just like any country looks after its own interests,we have allies that where formed during our dark days and we are loyal to them as they have been to us.

Tutu have his own issues,South Africa knows it and Dalai's visit was just an opportunity for him to get the support.I personally like Tutu,but he is too emotional,too forgiving and try hard to please white,he likes to play for the crowd.

Are you aware that Dalai was going to be in the country at the time when our Deputy President was in a official visit to China?

The bolded suggests some longstanding issues you have with him However i'll say this again,

South African Interests equal to Not Equal To Chinese Interests.
Re: Dalai Lama To Be Absent From Desmond Tutu Birthday After Visa Controversy by kenifeh(m): 2:11pm On Oct 07, 2011
@kodewrita you need not waste your time answering them. I wander how Nigerians reason. If the world is all about economic interest rather than moral, none of us will be alive today. We are talking about universal defence of human rights and some chalatans here are talking about economic interest.

China is leading the league of Nation for the violation of universal human rights. When the Dalai Lama (a Nobel peace laurate) was denied visa, it spells great danger for the defence of human rights the world over. It is unfortunate that South Africa, inspite of its history, has been bought by Chineese wealth.

Today makes one year activist Liu Xiabao was listed as 2010 Nobel peace winner. One year has gone by and activist Liu Xiabao is still languishing in jail. His wife has been placed under house arrest since then. The worst thing is that he wasn't even allowed to go to Oslo for his award. There are millions of activist like that in China. And some idiots are talking about economic interest here.
Re: Dalai Lama To Be Absent From Desmond Tutu Birthday After Visa Controversy by RSA(m): 3:13pm On Oct 07, 2011
kodewrita:

The bolded suggests some longstanding issues you have with him However i'll say this again,

South African Interests equal to Not Equal To Chinese Interests.
I am happy that we both agree that there is interests in each other from this countries,equal or not is another matter.

@ Kenifer

I am not a defender of China here,but I want you to give me one major country that have high moral fibre.That put moral interest before economic one.
America is build on innocent blood,they're like the Romans they occupy by force.From wiping out american indians to slavery to supporting rebels and overthrowing legitimates goverments to invading countries.
Americans have killed more people inthis world than China or any other country.What America and their allies do and say are too different things,they talk peace,hman rights,democracy and other morally acceptable things while commit murder and other immoral acts on the other end.

I dont hate Americans,I'm just saying be careful that you don't choose sides when all sides are wrong

(1) (Reply)

Ojukwu's Son Battles Bianca / Kano Islamic Police Confiscate N6.5m Merchandise Belonging To South Easterner / Govt Votes $1b For Inland Oil/Gas Exploration In The Chad Basin And Other Areas

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 105
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.