Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,150,297 members, 7,808,010 topics. Date: Thursday, 25 April 2024 at 02:57 AM

2012 Budget: FG Removes Fuel Subsidy & Proposes N4.8tr - Politics (3) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Politics / 2012 Budget: FG Removes Fuel Subsidy & Proposes N4.8tr (6981 Views)

FG Removes 23,846 Ghost Workers From Government Payroll / 2016 Budget: FG Votes N500b For Social Welfare / Fg Removes Fuel Importers From Cbn Debtors' List (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: 2012 Budget: FG Removes Fuel Subsidy & Proposes N4.8tr by 1025: 5:37pm On Oct 06, 2011
who the gods want to kill, they first make deaf and dumb. nigerians are been pushed on daily basis by these so-called rulers but come january 2012, we will be pushed to the wall.

can jonathan tell nigerians that the fuel susidy is bigger than the money we loose on daily basis to bunkering or to public looters in the name of govt officials? we all know is not true.

electricity tarrifs will go high 2012 and fuel subsidy will be removed 2012. is it not possible that nigeria will sieze to exist 2012?

if mend and other niger delta militants are under the pay roll of our federal govt, why not the eastern kidnappers and northern boko haram? if the westerners could do a 8 yr two terms under obasanjo, what didn't the northerners do same and what about the easterners? all these tarrifs and fuel subsidy issues are just to divert the attention of the masses.

no 1 issue of this administration is 6 yr term followed by removal of fuel subsidy/increament in the electricity tarrif.

is this the fresh air that was preached with biscuits and rice? we are waiting and i know God is close to answering the prayers of the masses.

has anyone here read Proverbs 29:2?
Re: 2012 Budget: FG Removes Fuel Subsidy & Proposes N4.8tr by mcgboye(m): 11:25pm On Oct 06, 2011
I know I'll be pilloried by GEJ's supporters, but i'll say it anyway. I think the problem with many Nigerians is that they do not know the meaning of "defending your votes" long after the elections. I'll explain. Many people who voted for GEJ in April usually feel the need to defend whatever policy or action taken by our president in order to justify their votes for him. I've always told my friends that their duty to defend the mandates they gave to our elected leaders via their votes is that they must force them to do what we want instead of blindly looking for excuses on their behalf. Instead of rushing to defend GEJ, I told them to always ask themselves whenever there's an unpopular decision by the govt: "what will my response be if this action had been taken by either Buhari or Ribadu (had they won the elections)?"
A president who spends N1.27b on kitchen expenses, N1.13b on residential furniture, N653m on computers and scanners annually (if you need more of these outrageous expenses in the presidency, pls go through the budget) can not claim that he wants to save more money for our use by reducing fuel subsidies. We are ready to suffer, but let him show us worthy examples first. Does he know how much his overbloated cabinet is costing us?
And I shudder with fear when I remember what a 100% increase in fuel prices will cause: 150% increase in foodstuff prices, 200% in bus fares, maybe a "slight" increase of 100% in rent etc.
I know his supporters will leap to his defence, but mostly without concrete evidence. Why hasnt our dear president said anything about our refineries? Oh, he's looking for quick-fixes
Re: 2012 Budget: FG Removes Fuel Subsidy & Proposes N4.8tr by Beaf: 12:49am On Oct 07, 2011
I was really against the removal of the fuel subsidy when the governors demanded it. However, with the announcement of a package to cushion the poor against any effects, I'm tending toward the idea. What we should do now is engage the govt in dialogue and ensure that there are no gaps and loopholes in the welfare package for the poor. Nigeria just MUST develop and we cannot keep pandering to the whims of the few corrupt pockets the subsidy goes into.

Again, this is how the fuel subsidy works:

1. Marketer imports fuel at market price
2. FG pays importer total costs
3. Marketer smuggles the fuel into neighbouring countries for sale at market price of close to
4. FG imports more fuel to fill the shortfall
5. The process repeats

The above is a losing game that we can never win. The most effective solution would be to cut out the subsidy totally. If that is done, the ball is in our courts to ensure that the savings are used judiciously. I am sure we will all dearly wish to see the words of Allison Maduake I posted earlier come to fruition, because they will represent a mega leap up the ladder for Nigerian society (I would love to see free education included, tho cool):

“The package would help guarantee improved maternal and child health services while also providing conditional cash transfer scheme to pregnant women in the country, a package which as you know is unprecedented our history. There is also provision for primary school feeding programme, youth employment package which also entails what we call active labour market and public works programmes for youth.

“The novel scheme also allows for electricity rebate, fuel voucher, equipment voucher among other items. Though details of the overall cost implications are being finalised by the Ministry of Finance, suffice it to say that experience from abroad suggests that to establish an effective national safety net system in a country as large as Nigeria would require capital outlay of $100-$200 million annually for 3-4 years window depending on the envisaged design.

As a first step, focus would be placed on designing the outlines and establishing a national registry to allow beneficiary identification. And later the focus would shift to the Attention of other relevant building blocks which would spell out the conditions for eligibility, enrolment etc,” She enthused.
Re: 2012 Budget: FG Removes Fuel Subsidy & Proposes N4.8tr by Kobojunkie: 12:54am On Oct 07, 2011
1025:

who the gods want to kill, they first make deaf and dumb. nigerians are been pushed on daily basis by these so-called rulers but come january 2012, we will be pushed to the wall.

We will? Funny, from where I sit, we have already been pushed THROUGH the wall and we are already on the other side, and right into the second, even thicker, wall and still no reaction. grin grin grin grin grin
Re: 2012 Budget: FG Removes Fuel Subsidy & Proposes N4.8tr by arsenefc: 2:25am On Oct 07, 2011
Kobojunkie:

We will? Funny, from where I sit, we have already been pushed THROUGH the wall and we are already on the other side, and right into the second, even thicker, wall and still no reaction. grin grin grin grin grin

What does that even mean?
Re: 2012 Budget: FG Removes Fuel Subsidy & Proposes N4.8tr by koruji(m): 2:27am On Oct 07, 2011
You people need to stop behaving like this subsidy issue started yesterday or that GEJ has some kind of wisdom behind his plans. He doesn't.

[size=14pt]Nigerians understand how bad the subsidy system is, but they also understand that cats cannot be trusted with fried fish, if you get my drift.[/size]

What will happen if the subsidy is removed like they are planning has been well laid out many times in the past. What must be done to ensure a successful removal or revision of the subsidy is also well rehashed.

We'll all be here when GEJ ruins the economy beyond all recognition.

Beaf:

I was really against the removal of the fuel subsidy when the governors demanded it. However, with the announcement of a package to cushion the poor against any effects, I'm tending toward the idea. What we should do now is engage the govt in dialogue and ensure that there are no gaps and loopholes in the welfare package for the poor. Nigeria just MUST develop and we cannot keep pandering to the whims of the few corrupt pockets the subsidy goes into.

3. Marketer smuggles the fuel into neighbouring countries for sale at market price of close to
5. The process repeats

The above is a losing game that we can never win. The most effective solution would be to cut out the subsidy totally. If that is done, the ball is in our courts to ensure that the savings are used judiciously. I am sure we will all dearly wish to see the words of Allison Maduake I posted earlier come to fruition, because they will represent a mega leap up the ladder for Nigerian society (I would love to see free education included, tho cool):

Re: 2012 Budget: FG Removes Fuel Subsidy & Proposes N4.8tr by aljharem3: 2:40am On Oct 07, 2011
Beaf:

5. The process repeats

Beaf Beaf Beaf !!! Don't you think your thought pattern is a bit wicked ?

Now you talk of smugglers  right ? But why can't the government close the borders insisted of removing the subsidy ?

What do you mean it is a losing game ? Are in any game at all ? Just close the borders with the appropriate security forces that is all we need.

Now how do you expect a minimum wager to survive on 150N per litre ? Do the calculation yourself
Things like tiger generator fuel would be a luxury he/she cannot afford again. A short bus trip from makoko to herbert macauley area which use to be about 120 N, How much would you think that would cost once the subsidy is removed ?
All on this 18,000 N !! Even if they increase the minimum wage to 40,000 N , it still will not be enough to accommodiate all the expenses for the person in a month.

Haba beaf have some conscience now that is too wicked angry
Re: 2012 Budget: FG Removes Fuel Subsidy & Proposes N4.8tr by Beaf: 2:51am On Oct 07, 2011
^
Close the borders with who? The current customs men or are we going to import new ones from the Moon?
Re: 2012 Budget: FG Removes Fuel Subsidy & Proposes N4.8tr by aljharem3: 2:57am On Oct 07, 2011
Beaf:

^
Close the borders with who? The current customs men or are we going to import new ones from the Moon?

Are those custom officials ? Daily people from benin republic and Niger enter and leave Nigeria like it is part of their country.

No visa, no protocol. That is why I said the appropriate custom officials, I mean well train no nonsense officials.
Re: 2012 Budget: FG Removes Fuel Subsidy & Proposes N4.8tr by Beaf: 3:32am On Oct 07, 2011
alj_harem:

Are those custom officials ? Daily people from benin republic and Niger enter and leave Nigeria like it is part of their country.

No visa, no protocol. That is why I said the appropriate custom officials, I mean well train no nonsense officials.

It will take too many years to train new customs officers if the FG is looking at January. This is basically about kicking the last set of leaches into into the tall grass. Most poor people only buy kerosene for everyday use, kerosene is not subsidised, so govt only has to cover transportation costs in a reasonable way.
Re: 2012 Budget: FG Removes Fuel Subsidy & Proposes N4.8tr by koruji(m): 4:30am On Oct 07, 2011
Kicking the "last set of leaches into the tall grass"? Now that is one for the books.

Nigeria is now an Orwellian Animal farm and I dare say "Napoleon is always right"!!!

Beaf:

It will take too many years to train new customs officers if the FG is looking at January. This is basically about kicking the last set of leaches into into the tall grass. Most poor people only buy kerosene for everyday use, kerosene is not subsidised, so govt only has to cover transportation costs in a reasonable way.
Re: 2012 Budget: FG Removes Fuel Subsidy & Proposes N4.8tr by jason123: 4:38am On Oct 07, 2011
Beaf:

5. The process repeats

Beaf; theoretically your post is perfect but in reality, it just does not work that way.
The Nigerian economy is COMPLETELY dependent on petroleum and all its products. 100-150% increase in fuel prices will have a shockingly painful effect on the masses. How? The prices of every product in the country (emphasis on EVERY PRODUCT) will increase. The country will witness hyper-inflation. What will accommodate this? 18 000 naira wages (some people collect less a month)? The poor and the middle class will be the most hit. The middle class will be the new poor. The dramatic effect this will have on the country will lead to something the government cannot control because the suffering will just be too much.

My suggestion is for us to have constant power supply first before we start talking of removal of subsidy. Most already spend more than 40% of the monthly income on generators or car fuel. Coupled will the hyper-inflation in rent, other forms of transportation, FOOD! and every other thing a common man needs to survive. Nigeria will be worse off, and worse still, is the totally confident knowledge that the money acquired will not be used to do the things Allison listed out.

In fact, this will drive away some investors. The cost of operating businesses in Nigeria is expensive already because of our power problems. An increase might just be too much for them.

We shall see next year. The masses will revolt. They will not be able to talk any more pains inflicted on them by our government. Watch out for serial industrial actions. Even GEJ knows this.
Re: 2012 Budget: FG Removes Fuel Subsidy & Proposes N4.8tr by Beaf: 5:05am On Oct 07, 2011
^
You haven't really said how the economy would be affected. There are few poor people that run generators for any reason or who own cars for pleasure.

Lets wait to hear the full details, cos its like we are jumping the gun in a way. Its also possible that the removal will be phased over months or that the welfare package will be too juicy to be ignored. So lets wait and see and put our feet down to ensure that the implementation is spot on.
Re: 2012 Budget: FG Removes Fuel Subsidy & Proposes N4.8tr by coolkaboom(m): 5:25am On Oct 07, 2011
No point being overly emotional abt this debate. Emphasis should b on aggressiv vigilance on d funds realised from subsidy removal. If properly used to address our very severe infrastructur shortfall, then d common man wil thrive and prosper, even if fuel price is N200 a litr. Last I checked, d poor man doesn't drive a fleet of fuel guzzlin suvs and if powr is fixed, bye to generators. At least, let's considr it. We hav absolutely no control ovr d few dubious racketeers that pocket this subsidy anyway.
Re: 2012 Budget: FG Removes Fuel Subsidy & Proposes N4.8tr by koruji(m): 5:40am On Oct 07, 2011
What control do we have over money currently under the government's control?

None, nada. Give them more by removing the subsidies, and they will waste it equally.

Are you saying that because the poor man doesn't drive a fleet of fuel guzzlin suvs is a reason to remove the subsidy?

This is a backward argument, since it actually means then poor have no money lying around after taking care of necessities. They are either walking long-distances, taking okada, rickety taxes and buses or a combination of these. Removing the subsidy without doing what is right make it infinitely more difficult for the poor who are already down.

Simply compare the picture of the president/vice president before & after they took over government to that of an average Nigerian man on the streets. You will see how the former have being growing side-ways, back & front and all around. I am sure those guys are buying new clothes with their expanding necks - yet they want to pull the subsidy.

It is nothing if not an emotional issue.

coolkaboom:

No point being overly emotional abt this debate. Emphasis should b on aggressiv vigilance on d funds realised from subsidy removal. If properly used to address our very severe infrastructur shortfall, then d common man wil thrive and prosper, even if fuel price is N200 a litr. Last I checked, d poor man doesn't drive a fleet of fuel guzzlin suvs and if powr is fixed, bye to generators. At least, let's considr it. We hav absolutely no control ovr d few dubious racketeers that pocket this subsidy anyway.
Re: 2012 Budget: FG Removes Fuel Subsidy & Proposes N4.8tr by aljharem3: 6:04am On Oct 07, 2011
Beaf:

What do you mean poor people only buy kerosene ? Beaf where did you get that from ?

Every sector, Every social class, Every infrastructures and companies even villagers need this subsidy.

The poor people use petrol to bake bread and sell as agege bread

The poor people use buses and okada as a form of transportation apart for trekking long distances everyday

The poor people use petrol to run their grinder to grind pepper for bukka, grind beans for akara, grind melon seed for egusi, grind cassava for ordinary gari, etc

Beaf poor people DO NOT USE MAINLY KEROSENE BUT PETROL JUST LIKE EVERY SECTOR IN THIS COUNTRY.

No matter how long it takes to close our borders for smugglers, it is a time worth waiting for instead of sending people into their early graves so as to enrich Politicians.
Re: 2012 Budget: FG Removes Fuel Subsidy & Proposes N4.8tr by aljharem3: 6:07am On Oct 07, 2011
coolkaboom:

No point being overly emotional abt this debate. Emphasis should b on aggressiv vigilance on d funds realised from subsidy removal. If properly used to address our very severe infrastructur shortfall, then d common man wil thrive and prosper, even if fuel price is N200 a litr. [b]Last I checked, d poor man doesn't drive a fleet of fuel guzzlin suvs and if powr is fixed, bye to generators. [/b]At least, let's considr it. We hav absolutely no control ovr d few dubious racketeers that pocket this subsidy anyway.

Bros that talking like the devil. Why not say poor people don't use cars at all, all in the they are poor.

Abeg comot for here

One question, ARE YOU POOR ?

If no. then STFU and go to bed angry angry
Re: 2012 Budget: FG Removes Fuel Subsidy & Proposes N4.8tr by Abagworo(m): 12:48am On May 12, 2016
Reality time.

1 Like 1 Share

(1) (2) (3) (Reply)

Oyinkansola Saraki Hits Bukola Saraki Hard On TVC' s Your View / Lovely Picture Of A Polish Woman That Married An Imo State Man And Their Kids / President Tinubu To Swear In New Ministers On Monday

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 97
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.