Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,150,005 members, 7,806,921 topics. Date: Wednesday, 24 April 2024 at 07:01 AM

Benins And Itsekiris Fight Ijaws From Taking Their Land - Politics - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Politics / Benins And Itsekiris Fight Ijaws From Taking Their Land (892 Views)

Why Are Igbos Running Away From Their Land / Soldiers Beat Up Voter For Taking Their Pictures In Surulere / POLLS: Ijaws Table Jonathan’s Re-election Before Amasiekumor Deity -(PIC) (2) (3) (4)

(1) (Reply)

Benins And Itsekiris Fight Ijaws From Taking Their Land by peckhamboi: 8:37am On Oct 05, 2011
The Benin monarch, Oba Erediauwa has warned that no part of Benin kingdom will be ceded to the Ijaws living in Edo State or any other part of the country, just as the Itsekiri in Edo and Delta states have appealed to governors Emmanuel Uduaghan and Adams Oshiomhole to intervene in moves by the Ijaws to create Toru-Ibe State out of their lands.

This appeal was made yesterday when governors Adams Oshiomhole and Emmanuel Uduaghan led some Itsekiri chiefs to pay a courtesy call on the Benin monarch.

Oba Erediauwa who spoke through the prime minister of the Benin Kingdom, Sam Igbe, warned the federal government not to cede any part of his kingdom to the Ijaw for the purpose of creating a new state.

Erediauwa asked Governor Uduaghan to intervene in the matter, saying that the Benins have been living on their land even before the birth of Jesus Christ.

"We have forwarded our request to Abuja through out representative at the National Assembly. It has reached a stage where you will intervene. The two states (Edo and Delta) are yours. I don't think you will sit back and allow your state to be taken away without any reason. What we are against is taking somebody's land and gave it to another person. We don't have boundary with those who want to take our land."

He further recalled how the matter was reported to late military ruler, Sani Abacha and said it was wrong for the Ijaws to claim every part of the coastal region in Nigeria.

Speaking earlier, frontline politician, Joseph Ayomike said the demand for Toru-Ibe State was a threat to their homeland saying "We must no allow a repeat of colonialism."

He said that Nigeria is a country that has homelands adding, "It is strange that some group will come forward to claim Benin homeland, Itsekiri homeland. This will not be possible."

Delta State Governor, Uduanghan, in his response, said what concerns him as a governor are the security issues surrounding the creation of states. He thanked the Benin Oba for his prayers and support.

http://234next.com/csp/cms/sites/Next/News/National/5744417-147/benins_and_itsekiris_warn_against_ceding.csp
Re: Benins And Itsekiris Fight Ijaws From Taking Their Land by Rgp92: 8:48am On Oct 05, 2011
Seems like the civilwar will be between the southern ethnical groups undecided

(1) (Reply)

I'm Nnamdi. I'm A Sculptor, I'm A Dad, And I'm A Mormon. . . Really? / Intelligence Report / Why Have Southern Leaders Kept Mute On Ezza-eziilo Massacre.

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 10
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.