Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,143,398 members, 7,781,142 topics. Date: Friday, 29 March 2024 at 09:39 AM

FG To Monitor Phone Calls Of Nigerians - Politics - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Politics / FG To Monitor Phone Calls Of Nigerians (7775 Views)

RRS Police Deploys Surveillance Drones To Monitor Crime In Lagos (Photos) / Senior Police Officials Who Ignore Phone Calls From Citizens Risk Sack / Thread To Monitor 6-Week War To Crush Boko Haram (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (Reply) (Go Down)

FG To Monitor Phone Calls Of Nigerians by GoldCircle: 8:53am On Oct 05, 2011
Big Brother! Govt To Monitor Phone Calls

THE Federal Government may have concluded plans to push for legislators’ endorsement of electronic surveillance of telephone calls by security agencies to stem the tide of security challenges in the country.

The e-surveillance or eavesdropping will involve wire-tapping, through interception of telephone transmission by accessing the telephone signal itself.

It is similar to security arrangements in countries such as the United States (U.S.), Britain, China and Israel, among other nations, scripted mainly to detect unwholesome communications that could undermine national security. It also targets drug trafficking and money laundering.

Currently, a bill to that effect is being drafted for the National Assembly, with the current security challenges prompting the authorities to lobby the lawmakers to fast-track its passage.

When passed, the law would ensure codification of messages for easy interception by security agencies, which would also promote information sharing on a national security network to checkmate unwholesome plans that could promote insecurity in the country.

Telephone operators have however expressed reservations about the bill, stressing that it could compromise the privacy law currently operating in the country to protect phone users.

MTN pointed out in a statement from its head office yesterday that the plan needs to safeguard against bugging by unauthorised persons.

“MTN Nigeria’s network is subject to the same standard protocol that pertains across the world and cannot be intercepted by unauthorised persons. The company goes to extraordinary lengths to protect the confidentiality of its customers and data or call information are judiciously protected in strict compliance with the relevant laws,” the statement added.

The Nigerian Communications Commission (NCC) would however not confirm the security eavesdropping plan, even as the agency affirmed an ongoing process to enact a law of Lawful Interception in the country.

In an interview yesterday in Abuja, Executive Commissioner, (Technical Services), Dr. Bashir Gwandu, told The Guardian that the order would not be effected until after its passage by the National Assembly.

Gwandu noted that in other countries where this is done, a court order must be obtained, adding that after the exercise, the security agency in question is still required to report back to the court or to the National Assembly with findings, for check and balances.

Also, Head, Public Affairs Unit of the commission, Rueben Muoka, told The Guardian that the commission has no power currently to give any such order to the security agencies, adding that as part of measures to fight crimes being perpetrated through the phone, there is an ongoing process to enact a law of Lawful Interception in the country.

Muoka noted that the law is not meant to invade into people’s privacy but to intercept criminal tendencies.

He said: “This doesn’t mean bulging people’s lines but to empower security agencies to intercept criminal tendencies using phones. If anybody is being tracked for criminal offence, the law, when enacted, would empower security agencies after certain procedures have been fulfilled to intercept.”

“There is no law that is made to infringe on people’s rights because they also have the right to challenge any infringement in the law court. This is democracy, so no law would be made to violate anybody’s rights but there is also a limit to every right.”

In U.S., there were 2,379 authorised wiretaps in 2009, targeted mainly at drug pushing through mobile phone calls. Each authorised wiretap captured communications of about 133 individuals lasting an average of 42 days.

Information gathered from the wiretaps led to 4,537 arrests and 678 convictions.

The statistics did not include terrorism-related wiretaps or those conducted through the National Security Agency (NSA’s) warrantless wiretapping programme.

Rising terrorism threats in U.S. have upscaled NSA’s electronic surveillance in recent times, with the agency’s mandate being widened as a foil against security slips.

In the U.S., federal law enforcement officials may tap telephone lines only after showing “probable cause” of unlawful activity and obtaining a court order. This unlawful activity must involve certain specified violations. The court order must limit the surveillance to communications related to the unlawful activity and to a specific period of time, usually 30 days. (Electronic Communications Privacy Act, 18 USC 2516).

Until recently, California wiretapping laws were much more restrictive, prohibiting all wiretaps without the consent of all parties to the conversation, except for investigations involving certain controlled substances violations (California Penal Code 629; 629.02; 631). However, as of January 1, 1996, the State Legislature amended this law to allow state law enforcement officials to obtain wiretaps in investigations involving murder, solicitation to commit murder, aggravated kidnapping, crimes involving bombings, and conspiracy to commit any of these offences. This law is intended to bring California wiretapping law more in line with the federal law. (California Penal Code 629 et. seq.)

Courts have held that the California law does not apply to wiretaps by federal agents authorised by a valid federal warrant.   For example, federal agents may go to federal court and obtain a warrant to place a wiretap in California, even though state officials may be barred by state law from obtaining a wiretap under similar circumstances.

Both federal and California law enforcement officials may eavesdrop on and record telephone conversations without a court order under the so-called “one party consent provision” (18 USC 2511(2)(s); California Penal Code 633). In other words, if state or federal authorities have the consent of one party to a conversation (such as a government informant), the conversation may be monitored. This provision applies only to eavesdropping by law enforcement officials.

http://www.ngrguardiannews.com/index.php?option=com_content&view=article&id=63303:-big-brother-govt-to-monitor-phone-calls&catid=1:national&Itemid=559
Re: FG To Monitor Phone Calls Of Nigerians by GoldCircle: 8:55am On Oct 05, 2011
Though I welcome this development on one hand, I am indeed very scared on the other hand cos our security agents will misuse and abuse the citizenry.

1 Like

Re: FG To Monitor Phone Calls Of Nigerians by realchange: 10:07pm On Oct 05, 2011
this is the worst possible thing that can ever happen in Nigeria. It is a blank cheque with no end in sight. it normally begins as a fight against crime or terrorism but will definitely get to innocent people being spied on in their homes.
they watch or listen to you making love to your wife. very terrible deceit.
Re: FG To Monitor Phone Calls Of Nigerians by Beaf: 10:30pm On Oct 05, 2011
Unfortunately, such things come with development. Any country thats serious about tackling crime in the information age would need to develop capacities to monitor phone networks and the internet. Its the only way to keep a step ahead of modern gangs, dissidents and subversives.
Re: FG To Monitor Phone Calls Of Nigerians by Sunofgod(m): 10:36pm On Oct 05, 2011
Beaf:

Unfortunately, such things come with development. Any country thats serious about tackling crime in the information age would need to develop capacities to monitor phone networks and the internet. Its the only way to keep a step ahead of modern gangs, dissidents and subversives.

Beaf,

Respectfully I ask you to pull your tongue out of this 'Govt's Ar.ssse'.

Your biased reasoning is starting to sound a little pathetic.

People around the world are crying out for freedom - not for their corrupt govts to stiffle freedom and intrude even further on their lives.
Re: FG To Monitor Phone Calls Of Nigerians by Gbenge77(m): 1:24am On Oct 06, 2011
Then they could be charged with phone hacking.
Re: FG To Monitor Phone Calls Of Nigerians by Nobody: 11:40am On Oct 06, 2011
Is there a law that approves that?
Re: FG To Monitor Phone Calls Of Nigerians by violent(m): 11:46am On Oct 06, 2011
Good move!

How anyone could possible oppose this, is beyond what i can comprehend.  I'd rather we risk losing a little privacy and live with the concious feeling that the government is taking proactive measures to stem the ugly tide of terror than have it the other way round.  

Let's deal with terror first, every other thing comes remotely secondary!
Re: FG To Monitor Phone Calls Of Nigerians by violent(m): 11:48am On Oct 06, 2011
chipmunkey:

Is there a law that approves that?

not yet!

it says here in the very first line:

THE Federal Government may have concluded plans to push for legislators’ endorsement

meaning, the fed is seeking an approval from legislators. Once approved, it becomes legal, notwithstanding existing legislation.
Re: FG To Monitor Phone Calls Of Nigerians by lynxnoon(m): 11:59am On Oct 06, 2011
i hope they will have the technical expetise to handle this and not turn it to a money-making/ghana must go-collecting/extorting/fraudulent etc venture? grin angry undecided
Re: FG To Monitor Phone Calls Of Nigerians by Progreen: 12:00pm On Oct 06, 2011
Police will surely violate this privilege, by exploiting the  loopholes to make case and money.
Re: FG To Monitor Phone Calls Of Nigerians by atasteve: 12:16pm On Oct 06, 2011
God but i am very afraid of what might become of this good intention in the hands on Nigerian security agents!!! sad
Re: FG To Monitor Phone Calls Of Nigerians by Texther(m): 12:26pm On Oct 06, 2011
including xtra cool??
Re: FG To Monitor Phone Calls Of Nigerians by engrj(m): 12:32pm On Oct 06, 2011
so me that i run cafe business now what do i do. cus there ar stupid guys that do work in my side.
Re: FG To Monitor Phone Calls Of Nigerians by stepo707: 12:46pm On Oct 06, 2011
Texther:

including xtra cool??

grin grin grin
Re: FG To Monitor Phone Calls Of Nigerians by 195(f): 12:56pm On Oct 06, 2011
Texther:

including xtra cool??
undecided undecided
Re: FG To Monitor Phone Calls Of Nigerians by UyiIredia(m): 1:18pm On Oct 06, 2011
are they crazy ?
Re: FG To Monitor Phone Calls Of Nigerians by snthesis(m): 1:20pm On Oct 06, 2011
Texther:

including xtra cool??
grin grin grin grin grin
engr j:

so me that i run cafe business now what do i do. cus there ar silly guys that do work in my side.
Re: FG To Monitor Phone Calls Of Nigerians by Abujabir24: 1:22pm On Oct 06, 2011
They shoulkd go and rewatch 24hrs to see how the Americans do it.
Or they should hire CHLOE O BRIAN for the trackin and JACK BAUER as head of field ops
grin grin grin grin grin
Re: FG To Monitor Phone Calls Of Nigerians by Wallie(m): 1:31pm On Oct 06, 2011
I’m pretty sure that they do this already but this is a step to formalize it. To people talking about freedom, there is no developed country in this world that does not monitor electronic transmission when needed. The difference between countries is the length you have to go through to get authorization for wire tap.
Re: FG To Monitor Phone Calls Of Nigerians by francis247(m): 1:31pm On Oct 06, 2011
good move! Wetin una dey hide sef.
Re: FG To Monitor Phone Calls Of Nigerians by hajifaty: 1:39pm On Oct 06, 2011
There are other methods that can use to tackle the security problems but I am totally against all these phone hacking stuffs. where is my freedom and privacy?
Re: FG To Monitor Phone Calls Of Nigerians by manny4life(m): 1:40pm On Oct 06, 2011
I pity the Nigerian people, your reps are about to sell your privacy on a platter. This phone call database info will be sold NOT even to the highest bidder but for FREE to the outside world. You guys should open your eyes while this is in contemplation NOW.
Re: FG To Monitor Phone Calls Of Nigerians by Ayowumie(m): 1:47pm On Oct 06, 2011
It is a good. I'm sure it would be grossly abused.

Opposition parties would be in trouble during elections. Verbal wars would ensue btw them and the ruling party. I can envisage a lot abuse in this.
Any way of stopping this?
Re: FG To Monitor Phone Calls Of Nigerians by femmy2010(m): 1:47pm On Oct 06, 2011
Nothing wrong with the proposed wiretap law but it should be made in a way that authorization has to be sought from the courts to prevent witch hunting tendencies on d part of our security operative.
Re: FG To Monitor Phone Calls Of Nigerians by Exponental(m): 1:55pm On Oct 06, 2011
Good one!
Job employment opps
Bt it takes a crook 2 catch a thief.
Tapping will only checkmate little boys, dont expect BH men 2 use calls again. Also expect words encrypted henceforth. Eg mymi namime isme tobi- my name is tobi.
Re: FG To Monitor Phone Calls Of Nigerians by Abujabir24: 1:57pm On Oct 06, 2011
Those of u who like making secret love during night calls be careful wit wat u say or else those bunch of fat reps with big big tummies will be listening to your secrets.
Re: FG To Monitor Phone Calls Of Nigerians by Nobody: 1:58pm On Oct 06, 2011
Abujabir24:

They shoulkd go and rewatch 24hrs to see how the Americans do it.
Or they should hire CHLOE O BRIAN for the trackin and JACK BAUER as head of field ops
grin grin grin grin grin
Texther:

including xtra cool??
ROFLMAO grin
Re: FG To Monitor Phone Calls Of Nigerians by Kolababa: 1:59pm On Oct 06, 2011
What is the essence of sim card registration?
This plan is already dead on arrival because those formulating it will be the ones to block it because it will expose all their shaddy deals most especially during election dispute in court.
Re: FG To Monitor Phone Calls Of Nigerians by iykak47: 2:19pm On Oct 06, 2011
Maybe that will  help  the police to tackle  the boko boys. Every human being needs privacy but there  is no absolute privacy anywhere in the world. safety comes first.
Re: FG To Monitor Phone Calls Of Nigerians by MrCork17: 2:25pm On Oct 06, 2011
are they goin to monitor phones with juju? undecided

(1) (2) (Reply)

Naf Expands Yola Airport Apron,Conducts Eye Surgery On 2nd Batch Of IDPs(Photos) / Biafra:tension In Asorock As Trump Recognizes Taiwan;shatters ‘one China’ Policy / 56yr Old Man Caught Having Sex With His 7y Old Niece Stripped Unclad(pics)

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 36
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.