Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,150,377 members, 7,808,330 topics. Date: Thursday, 25 April 2024 at 10:22 AM

Group Wants Igbanke Included In The Proposed Anioma State - Politics - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Politics / Group Wants Igbanke Included In The Proposed Anioma State (13628 Views)

For The Igbos In EDO (igbanke) DELTA (anioma, Ukwuani, Ika, Enu'ani) And Rivers / Why Anioma State Should Not See The Light Of The Day / The 6th Igbo State Must Be Anioma State- Igbodefender.com (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (4) (Reply) (Go Down)

Group Wants Igbanke Included In The Proposed Anioma State by Chyz2: 5:06pm On Oct 08, 2011
[size=13pt]Group Wants Igbanke Included In the Proposed Anioma State[/size]

06/10/2011 15:42:00 THEWILL

SAN FRANCISCO, October 06, (THEWILL) – The Igbanke National Progressive Alliance, the apex socio-cultural organization of Igbanke town in Oriomwhon Local Government Area of Edo State has urged the National Assembly to include Igbanke in the proposed Anioma State.

“The Igbanke National Progressive Alliance has, after due consultations with the generality of Igbanke indigenes at home and in Diaspora as well as other stakeholders, upheld the age-long choice and agitation for Igbanke to be included in the proposed Anioma State that will be carved out of Delta State. This can be actualized if the people are simply included in closer Ika Local Government umbrella where we rightly belong. The present situation in which our people have been unduly separated from the rest of their Ika kith and kin was borne out of the wish to satisfy the desire and selfish interest of those who sought to increase the kingdom they survey. The dumping of our town, Igbanke in Edo State is an age-long oversight that has brought nothing but neglect, untold attendant socio-political and economic hardship and the feeling that we are outcasts or outsiders, having been treated as such. Now is the time to correct this anomaly that we have been subjected to over the past two decades,” the group stated in a email statement Wednesday.

“We welcome with rapturous joy the determined resolution and efforts of the current National Assembly of Nigeria to create more states in the country……. and believe that the National Assembly and others who believe in the creation of more states in the country as a way of bringing development closer to the people, are on the right track as the course of action will correct the imbalance in which some ethnic groups have existed only in names, being dominated by others in the nation. The exercise should also offer the existing geo-political zones of the country equality and fairness with the accompanying developmental values for the nation,” it added.

The group in the statement signed by Eric Uwagbai, Executive Member; Godday Oyibo, Executive Member; Gloria Eluebo Adagbon, Convener, Igbanke National Progressive Alliance and General Secretary, Umu Anioma Worldwide, gave the following reasons why Igbanke should be aligned with the proposed Anioma State:

“(i) Igbanke is an autonomous community with villages, each with sovereign traditional ruler called Eze’ that are not answerable to any monarch in authority whether in Edo or elsewhere.

(ii) Igbanke people are of Ika stock thickly concentrated in the North West of Delta State, linguistically sharing border in the west with the Edo speakers, Ishan speakers in the North, in the East with the Aniocha language speakers and in the south with the Ukwuani speakers. Historically, Igbanke is believed to have been founded by Agbor, Mbiri and Ishan migrant farmers
(iii) Igbanke is closer to Agbor, Mbiri, Owa and Abavo than it is to Benin City.

(iv) Igbanke has a long history of ancestral relationship with Agbor than Benin City which we have continued to maintain till date.

(v) In recent times, our people have had to rely on facilities put in place in neighbouring Agbor community by the Delta State Government such as hospitals, banks, petrol stations, state ministries and government parastatals so that the Delta State Government is now the surrogate cater-taker for Igbanke and Ekpon communities. The situation has always been that if our people have a choice to make in running to Benin or Agbor, they will surely prefer to, and gladly too, Agbor for linguistic reasons.

(vi) Igbanke has never been a tenant or vassal community of Benin or any other community in history not even in this century.

Our view is still that states should be created along the lines of ethnic nationalities with each group kept together as intact as possible. It is unfortunate that a major group is still claiming to own a minority group in these present times but collectively, the message from our people is that ENOUGH IS ENOUGH. We cannot all be slaves to another distant ethnic group in an independent nation like Nigeria where unlimited equality is guaranteed as enshrined in the constitution. We warn that anything short of our placement in the proposed Anioma State where we rightly belong will be resisted by the good people of Igbanke no matter the threat of invocation of curses on anyone or activities of sell-out minority of Igbanke chiefs with infinite chieftaincy titles from foreign lands. A boundary adjustment that would move us to Ika in Delta State, where we rightly belong, is the only other alternative we are prepared to accept.

In response to the rumours making the mills in Edo State, let us put on record that while still part of Edo State, the people of Igbanke will not accept anything short of her own Local Government Area with its Headquarters at Igbanke. We have population, we have the resources and we have the economic centre to run our Local Government Area effectively. We will resist any attempt by anyone giving us a Greek gift of an Igbanke Local government area with headquarters at Oronigbe. Igbanke is part and parcel of Nigeria; we are Nigerians and we are no longer prepared to tolerate any nonsense from anyone, whether from the state government, any traditional ruler, or the ‘sell-out’ elites and selfish Igbanke politicians.
We call on the National Assembly to expedite action on the commencement of the constitutional amendment process that will support the creation of more states and boundary adjustments in the country, which will in turn assure us of speedy exit from Edo State. Anything short of this will continue to make certain, our unnatural confinement in the hands of our oppressors. The earlier we are constitutionally relocated to the Anioma area, the better for our people.

Our people have been an integral part of the Anioma nation and are actively participating, in official capacities, in Anioma organizations and Associations; this will send the signal of seriousness on our part to pessimists and all the doubting Thomas about our intentions to fight for our right. We have the full backing of Anioma people.”

http://www.thewillnigeria.com/general/10000-Group-Wants-Igbanke-Included-the-Proposed-Anioma-State.html
Re: Group Wants Igbanke Included In The Proposed Anioma State by Relax101(m): 5:26pm On Oct 08, 2011
First I want PhysicsMFD to comment here.

I will post the reactions to this news.

Johnuyiomorogbe
Collapse
I think it is better for this so called organisation,to go back and read through the history of Igbanke.Moreso i belive u guys are strengers,because i dont think a re Igbanke will think to go out of EDO NATION:While the grate Igbankes are holdding on to our grate nation.e.g Dr S.O Ogbemudia,inclusive the Egbe eze of Benin.OBA GHA TOR KPEHA;ISE

Toniduh
Collapse
i know that the people of Igbanke are more Ika than Bini,so they should be allowed to be part of Anioma state where they rigtly belong.My Opinion

Bettcel
Collapse
Igbankes are truely Aniomas, now is the right time for a DAVID to arise and deliver the Igbankes from the Philistine Goliath, to thier rightful home, Ika-Anioma. I left Igbanke Grammar School in late seventies, then a very beatiful city comperable to Boji Boji Agbor then but it was a true shame when i visited Igbanke in July this year with the old sweet memory of my dear IGBANKE CITY but i only met somewhat like a FARMLAND, no Drivethrough. you cannot even ride a motorbike and not even a bicycle. There is no village in IKA LAND no matter how small is as underdeveloped neglecetd as Igbanke.IGBANKE flee from your Edo slave masters and return back to your IKA-ANIOMA HOME I am not from Igbanke but i know they are my true Ika-Anioma Brothers. IGBANKE return home

Grandrich
Collapse
IGBANKE PEOPLE: I SAY GOODMORNING TO YOU. THE DAY HAS BROKEN INDEED. DURING THE NIGERIA/BIAFRA WAR, YOU DISTANCED YOURSELVES FROM ANIOMA; CLAIMING TO BE BINIS; WITH ONE OF YOUR OWN - OGBEMUDIA, CALLING THE SHOTS THEN. TODAY, YOU REMEMBERED ANIOMA AS YOUR KITH AND KINS WITH YOUR TRADITIONAL RULERS BEING ADDRESSED AS "EZE". NO CONDITION IS PERMANENT. OBA OTOKPA'YI,
Like Reply
Re: Group Wants Igbanke Included In The Proposed Anioma State by Chyz2: 5:39pm On Oct 08, 2011
I've talked to each of the mentioned people personally. Eric Uwagbai, is a real open minded cool guy. They are all pretty good people though. I think though Gloria tries to distance herself from Igbo though. That type of attitude will only keep them in Edo state. I doubt she took all of the advice I gave her tho lipsrsealed
Re: Group Wants Igbanke Included In The Proposed Anioma State by Abagworo(m): 5:56pm On Oct 08, 2011
I am totally against anything Ika in Anioma State.Those people are too tribalistic and anti-Igbo to be included in an Igbo State.They should either remain in Delta with Urhobo,Isoko and Itsekiri or join Edo State.The Aniocha,Ndokwa and Oshimili are the true Anioma.Ika inclusion should be based on vote because some towns might be worth being in Anioma.
Re: Group Wants Igbanke Included In The Proposed Anioma State by Chyz2: 6:09pm On Oct 08, 2011
Abagworo:

I am totally against anything Ika in Anioma State.Those people are too tribalistic and anti-Igbo to be included in an Igbo State.They should either remain in Delta with Urhobo,Isoko and Itsekiri or join Edo State.The Aniocha,Ndokwa and Oshimili are the true Anioma.Ika inclusion should be based on vote because some towns might be worth being in Anioma.

They are constituting some minimum but big prob we are having with the proposed Anioma state. Imagine, if Anioma was to join the SE, this whole "we are not Igbo" would embarrass the SE It would be a tug of war in a way cause by a few knucleheads. This is why you dont here the SE governments fighting for an Anioma state. They dont want a possible disunity amongst the SE.
Re: Group Wants Igbanke Included In The Proposed Anioma State by Onlytruth(m): 6:14pm On Oct 08, 2011
Posted by: Chyz*

They are constituting some minimum but big prob we are having with the proposed Anioma state. Imagine, if Anioma was to join the SE, this whole "we are not Igbo" would embarrass the SE It would be a tug of war in a way cause by a few knucleheads. This is why you dont hear the SE governments fighting for an Anioma state. They dont want a possible disunity amongst the SE.

You are right. Imagine having an "agbotaen" in Anioma.
It would destroy our chances of getting our brothers back to SE.
In any case, I still support their move to join Anioma. We can always excise the "agbontaens" to Edo State before Igbanke joins Anioma.  cool
Re: Group Wants Igbanke Included In The Proposed Anioma State by Relax101(m): 6:16pm On Oct 08, 2011
Abagworo:

You got proof?
Re: Group Wants Igbanke Included In The Proposed Anioma State by PhysicsQED(m): 6:19pm On Oct 08, 2011
Relax101:

First I want PhysicsMFD to comment here.

Lol, my opinion is not all that relevant here since I'm not one of those arguing for them to stay or to go. I'm not concerned with whether they stay in Edo state or whether they go since it won't affect me. If they stay, things may work themselves out someday. If they go, they'll probably develop faster due to greater oil wealth in Delta state resulting in a higher budget for the government to work with for infrastructure, schools, etc.  
What I do know is that the Igbanke people don't all speak with one voice on this issue and that they look like they're giving off mixed signals as a result.

http://edoassociationsinspain/apps/forums/topics/show/291089-igbanke-disowns-alleged-plan-to-cede-community-to-delta

http://www.google.com/search?hl=en&client=firefox-a&hs=gev&rls=org.mozilla%3Aen-US%3Aofficial&q=Igbanke+Disowns+Alleged+Plan+to+Cede+Community+to+Delta&btnG=Search&oq=Igbanke+Disowns+Alleged+Plan+to+Cede+Community+to+Delta&aq=f&aqi=&aql=&gs_sm=s&gs_upl=20525l20525l0l21467l1l1l0l0l0l0l191l191l0.1l1l0

As for the historical claims about Ishan ancestry etc. it sounds funny to me because I have yet to see an Igbanke name that resembles a name exclusive to Esan. The Igbanke names I have seen elsewhere and even in this article (Uwagboe ----> Uwagbai), frequently show similarity to or are Bini  names, rather than Esan. Of course the authors of this article could probably claim that these Bini  or Bini derived names are also Agbor names, but that claim would only work for a few of the names and would not explain the other Igbanke people with  completely Bini first and last names or with last names that are exclusive to Binis.  Considering how untenable the Esan descent claim is, I would not be surprised if one or two of the other historical claims in the article were also not true.

That said, it is probably better for everyone if Igbanke is ceded to some other state - whether Delta or Anioma - simply to avoid any confusion. There is a group (Oza nogogo) in Delta north  that speak a language that is a variant of Edo and some of them have similar complaints about enormous marginalization of their community by the actual Ikas there and they are also making arguments that their ethnic stock is Edo, and not Ika, and that they should be reunited with their Oza kith and kin in Edo state.

The states in Nigeria are not actually perfectly ethnically homogeneous though and there are numerous examples of this besides Edo state. Chances are, things are going to stay as they are for both groups.
Re: Group Wants Igbanke Included In The Proposed Anioma State by AndreUweh(m): 6:33pm On Oct 08, 2011
Igbanke should be in the proposed Anioma state, it is high time that happens. To the best of my knowledge, the Oza people do not agitate to join Edo. But a referendum might be carried out in this village eventually.
Re: Group Wants Igbanke Included In The Proposed Anioma State by PhysicsQED(m): 6:35pm On Oct 08, 2011
One ironic thing about the complaint against Edo state is that a few Binis mentioned the possibility of the creation of a Bini state for the same reason - so that Bini villages or towns far from Benin city can also be developed, instead of all the development for Edo south being deliberately concentrated at Benin city (regardless of whether the governor is Bini or not). As an added bonus, the oil is in Edo south and the derivation from that oil would be used on a smaller population, possibly speeding up infrastructural development to some degree for the Bini areas.

That said, I do not think the Bini, Esan, and the Afenmai groups will actually separate, given the acknowledged historical and cultural connections between the groups, and I do not think there is any real or serious call for a Benin state from the Binis.
Re: Group Wants Igbanke Included In The Proposed Anioma State by PhysicsQED(m): 6:42pm On Oct 08, 2011
Andre Uweh:

To the best of my knowledge, the Oza people do not agitate to join Edo.

Lol. They don't agitate in the streets now, but they express the exact same sentiments as these Igbanke groups. I attempted to find out more about this group, without regard to anything political but instead, almost everything I came across was some complaint about marginalization and neglect and about the desire to be united with the Oza in Edo state or more generally with the Edo speakers.
Re: Group Wants Igbanke Included In The Proposed Anioma State by ak47mann(m): 7:19pm On Oct 08, 2011
hmmm anioma should and edo state should have a referendum undecided
Re: Group Wants Igbanke Included In The Proposed Anioma State by Dede1(m): 8:03pm On Oct 08, 2011
@PhysicsQED, I read that some Bini princes have reiterated the fact the so-called Ijo are crewmen porters and migrant fishermen from distance place and had no iota of ancestral lineage with Bini as many goofy Nigerians had claimed.

I recall you smeared me in one of your previous posts on my stance that Ijo nation is a later day fantasy. It was shocker to read from your elaborated efforts that Ijo had no ancestral claim on Gelegele as Bini princes had stated.

@Post, it is a shame it took this long for the so-called Igbanke group to sniff reality of life from the tiny air. My people say that a person can not run away from his or her arse. There was a story on Samuel Ogbomudia who ran from Kaduna during the July 29, 1966 coup as he was being chased by Dimka and few drunken soldiers from the northern region of Nigeria. The story had it Ogbomudia ran passed his father’s compound, forgot his Bini connection and took refuge in Onicha. However during and after the civil war, he jolted his memory back and remembered his Bini links.

Any group such as Ika, Igbanke or Ikwerre which had cultural similarity with Ndigbo and had the audacity to publicly renounce such ancestral lineage with Ndigbo should not be allowed into the family fold of Ndigbo.
Re: Group Wants Igbanke Included In The Proposed Anioma State by ak47mann(m): 8:12pm On Oct 08, 2011
Dede1:

@PhysicsQED, I read that some Bini princes have reiterated the fact the so-called Ijo are crewmen porters and migrant fishermen from distance place and had no iota of ancestral lineage with Bini as many goofy Nigerians had claimed.

I recall you smeared me in one of your previous posts on my stance that Ijo nation is a later day fantasy. It was shocker to read from your elaborated efforts that Ijo had no ancestral claim on Gelegele as Bini princes had stated.

@Post, it is a shame it took this long for the so-called Igbanke group to sniff reality of life from the tiny air. My people say that a person can not run away from his or her arse. There was a story on Samuel Ogbomudia who ran from Kaduna during the July 29, 1966 coup as he was being chased by Dimka and few drunken soldiers from the northern region of Nigeria. The story had it Ogbomudia ran passed his father’s compound, forgot his Bini connection and took refuge in Onicha. However during and after the civil war, he jolted his memory back and remembered his Bini links.

Any group such as Ika, Igbanke or Ikwerre which had cultural similarity with Ndigbo and had the audacity to publicly renounce such ancestral lineage with Ndigbo should not be allowed into the family fold of Ndigbo.     

GBAM cool cool
Re: Group Wants Igbanke Included In The Proposed Anioma State by PhysicsQED(m): 9:12pm On Oct 08, 2011
Dede1:

I think you are conflating unrelated things. I never said that Ijaw was not an ethnic group and what I criticized was the reading of certain documents to make claims about "Jos" just being a term used by certain Europeans to designate riverine people. None of this has any bearing on the fact that Gelegele is Bini land.

I have read the comments you are referring to by Bini titleholders and the gist of it is that some Ijaws migrated to Bini land and started making claims on land even though they are economic migrants, not owners of the land in question. They are not talking about what you are claiming (Ijaws not being a real ethnic group.)

There are, however, some speakers of Edoid languages among the Ijaws, and that may be one of the origins for the myth of Benin origin for Ijaws. Those communities could have spread that story to some extent.

When Ogbemudia ran from Dimka, I don't recall reading that he went to Onitsha. Maybe he did, but it would be better to provide details suggesting that he really did, rather than just saying that there is a story that he did. He seems to have come back to Benin from a northwesterly, not easterly, direction.

"Madiebo, Kalu, Okon, Ogbemudia and many others eventually escaped back to their home regions from Kaduna, while some, like Major Olusegun Obasanjo were later smuggled to Maiduguri for safe-keeping.  But others were not so lucky.  As  the days progressed, however, it was clear that there was inconsistency in the degree of discrimination being made between southerners or "jubilators".  T/Capt. L.C. Dilibe (Staff Officer, 1st Bde), T/Major Emelifonwu (DAQMG, 1st Bde) and T/Major  Ogunro (Chief Instructor, NMTC) were murdered.  Major A. Drummond, half cast Igbo-Scot, was killed on Sunday July 31st.  Major OU Isong  (Commander, 1st Recce Squadron) who had actually expressed scepticism about the January 15 coup, risking death at the hands of Major Nzeogwu, was also killed during the July rebellion in Kaduna, among others.  The details of his death have never been fully clarified but the young northern officers in his squadron at that time include Lts. Ibrahim Babangida, Garba Duba, Sunday Ifere and others.

After hitchhiking with Igbo contacts across the North, Madiebo escaped across the Benue bridge at Makurdi by hiding in a water tank dressed in a firesuit, avoiding capture by a detachment of the 5th battalion commanded by Captain Daramola during the penultimate leg of his relay race back home. Ogbemudia's escape from death at the hands of Lt. BS Dimka was partly made possible by Major Abba Kyari and Lt. Col. Hassan Katsina.  Hassan himself had allegedly been briefly detained by mutinous troops and then released, only to be falsely accused of being behind the whole plot (along with Ali Akilu).   It was already known that Dimka was not happy that Ogbemudia had arrested him earlier, although Dimka did not know that it had been sanctioned by Hassan who had his ears to the ground. When, therefore, Dimka was making plans to gather soldiers to seize him, and was talking carelessly about Ironsi's phone call and its implications, Ogbemudia was tipped off and advised in the nick of time to escape.   A landrover was immediately provided which Ogbemudia jumped into (armed with an SMG) and sped out of town (without bothering to pack) chased by a landrover load of northern soldiers led by the Lieutenant.   

Dimka's group pursued him to Kontagora where he refueled, barely eluding them at the fuel station. But they refused to give up, chasing him all the way to Jebba, crossing the Niger Bridge behind him, sometimes shooting.  They followed him all the way to Owo in present day Ondo State where he ran out of fuel, abandoned his vehicle and scaled a six foot fence into dense jungle.  At that point they gave up and began their journey back to Kaduna.  Ogbemudia later hitched hiked back to Benin City laying low for some time, moving from house to house until things cooled down. "

http://www.gamji.com/nowa/nowa28.htm
Re: Group Wants Igbanke Included In The Proposed Anioma State by Dede1(m): 9:53pm On Oct 08, 2011
PhysicsQED:

I think you are conflating unrelated things. I never said that Ijaw was not an ethnic group and what I criticized was the reading of certain documents to make claims about "Jos" just being a term used by certain Europeans to designate riverine people. None of this has any bearing on the fact that Gelegele is Bini land.

I have read the comments you are referring to by Bini titleholders and the gist of it is that some Ijaws migrated to Bini land and started making claims on land even though they are economic migrants, not owners of the land in question. They are not talking about what you are claiming (Ijaws not being a real ethnic group.)

There are, however, some speakers of Edoid languages among the Ijaws, and that may be one of the origins for the myth of Benin origin for Ijaws. Those communities could have spread that story to some extent.

When Ogbemudia ran from Dimka, I don't recall reading that he went to Onitsha. Maybe he did, but it would be better to provide details suggesting that he really did, rather than just saying that there is a story that he did. He seems to have come back to Benin from a northwesterly, not easterly, direction.

"Madiebo, Kalu, Okon, Ogbemudia and many others eventually escaped back to their home regions from Kaduna, while some, like Major Olusegun Obasanjo were later smuggled to Maiduguri for safe-keeping.  But others were not so lucky.  As  the days progressed, however, it was clear that there was inconsistency in the degree of discrimination being made between southerners or "jubilators".  T/Capt. L.C. Dilibe (Staff Officer, 1st Bde), T/Major Emelifonwu (DAQMG, 1st Bde) and T/Major  Ogunro (Chief Instructor, NMTC) were murdered.  Major A. Drummond, half cast Igbo-Scot, was killed on Sunday July 31st.  Major OU Isong  (Commander, 1st Recce Squadron) who had actually expressed scepticism about the January 15 coup, risking death at the hands of Major Nzeogwu, was also killed during the July rebellion in Kaduna, among others.  The details of his death have never been fully clarified but the young northern officers in his squadron at that time include Lts. Ibrahim Babangida, Garba Duba, Sunday Ifere and others.

After hitchhiking with Igbo contacts across the North, Madiebo escaped across the Benue bridge at Makurdi by hiding in a water tank dressed in a firesuit, avoiding capture by a detachment of the 5th battalion commanded by Captain Daramola during the penultimate leg of his relay race back home. Ogbemudia's escape from death at the hands of Lt. BS Dimka was partly made possible by Major Abba Kyari and Lt. Col. Hassan Katsina.  Hassan himself had allegedly been briefly detained by mutinous troops and then released, only to be falsely accused of being behind the whole plot (along with Ali Akilu).   It was already known that Dimka was not happy that Ogbemudia had arrested him earlier, although Dimka did not know that it had been sanctioned by Hassan who had his ears to the ground. When, therefore, Dimka was making plans to gather soldiers to seize him, and was talking carelessly about Ironsi's phone call and its implications, Ogbemudia was tipped off and advised in the nick of time to escape.   A landrover was immediately provided which Ogbemudia jumped into (armed with an SMG) and sped out of town (without bothering to pack) chased by a landrover load of northern soldiers led by the Lieutenant.   

Dimka's group pursued him to Kontagora where he refueled, barely eluding them at the fuel station. But they refused to give up, chasing him all the way to Jebba, crossing the Niger Bridge behind him, sometimes shooting.  They followed him all the way to Owo in present day Ondo State where he ran out of fuel, abandoned his vehicle and scaled a six foot fence into dense jungle.  At that point they gave up and began their journey back to Kaduna.  Ogbemudia later hitched hiked back to Benin City laying low for some time, moving from house to house until things cooled down. "

http://www.gamji.com/nowa/nowa28.htm

Bros, you do not need to regurgitate Nowa’s piece for me. Omoigui allowed sentiments to cloud his intellectual decency. Again Nowa’s write-ups are not gospel.

Even according to the excerpts from Nowa, Ogbomudia crossed River Niger at Jabba and headed to Owo then to Benin City. From Benin City he ran passed Agbor to Onicha. Anybody who ran from Owo through Benin to Onicha must have passed his or her father’s compound if he or she is an Igbanke. 

Does it not look funny to you that a soldier of a high rank, a major for that matter, had to abandon a land rover while armed with SMG because he ran out of fuel?

Biafrans are not going change anything or forget those visionless southern Nigerians who joined northern region of Nigeria to prosecute a war against Biafra because of these petty falsehoods and twisting of the facts.
Re: Group Wants Igbanke Included In The Proposed Anioma State by PhysicsQED(m): 10:13pm On Oct 08, 2011
Dede1:

Bros, you do not need to regurgitate Nowa’s piece for me. Omoigui allowed sentiments to cloud his intellectual decency. Again Nowa’s write-ups are not gospel.

No, they are not gospel, but that does not mean that the particular section of the article that I quoted is necessarily false.

From Benin City he ran passed Agbor to Onicha.

This is the part I"m not getting. Could you provide details about his going on foot from Benin City to Onicha?

Anybody who ran from Owo through Benin to Onicha must have passed his or her father’s compound if he or she is an Igbanke. 

Ogbemudia's father is not from Igbanke. His mother is from Igbanke.

Does it not look funny to you that a soldier of a high rank, a major for that matter, had to abandon a land rover while armed with SMG because he ran out of fuel?

No. I don't see why one man with one gun in a car would stop and face 3 or more men armed with guns if he couldn't find a place to refuel in order to get away. Being a soldier of a certain rank does not make one somehow impervious to bullets.
Re: Group Wants Igbanke Included In The Proposed Anioma State by Dede1(m): 10:50pm On Oct 08, 2011
PhysicsQED:

No, they are not gospel, but that does not mean that the particular section of the article that I quoted is necessarily false.

This is the part I"m not getting. Could you provide details about his going on foot from Benin City to Onicha?

Ogbemudia's father is not from Igbanke. His mother is from Igbanke.

No. I don't see why one man with one gun in a car would stop and face 3 or more men armed with guns if he couldn't find a place to refuel in order to get away. Being a soldier of a certain rank does not make one somehow impervious to bullets.

Whether his father or mother is Igbanke it makes no difference. Again, Ogbemudia’s pursuers knew it would be death sentence for them to chase him to Onicha because eastern region was no-go area for soldiers from northern region. Remember it has been alleged that Dimka and his team of chasers followed Ogbemudia to Owo in present day Ondo State.

Why would you believe Ogbemudia hitch-hiked to Benin City from Owo and still insinuate he walked from Benin City to Onicha? Anyway, I am not surprised at your gullibility of Nowa’s postulations.
Re: Group Wants Igbanke Included In The Proposed Anioma State by PhysicsQED(m): 11:08pm On Oct 08, 2011
Dede1:

Whether his father or mother is Igbanke it makes no difference. Again, Ogbemudia’s pursuers knew it would be death sentence for them to chase him to Onicha because eastern region was no-go area for soldiers from northern region.

Ogbemudia's pursuers lost him before he got to Benin, so I don't see how the issue of pursuing him to the Eastern region comes up.

Remember it has been alleged that Dimka and his team of chasers followed Ogbemudia to Owo in present day Ondo State.

I don't understand this. Owo is north and slightly to the west of Benin city, meaning that Ogbemudia most likely reached Benin City from a northwesterly direction.

Why would you believe Ogbemudia hitch-hiked to Benin City from Owo and still insinuate he walked from Benin City to Onicha? Anyway, I am not surprised at your gullibility of Nowa’s postulations.

I really don't get this statement. Let's assume that he hitch hiked instead of walked from Benin City to Onicha if that is more acceptable. What was he doing there? Who told him to meet them there? What is there to suggest that he actually went to Onicha?

As for Omoigui's "postulations" they are not really relevant here and they cannot possibly be the source for the level of detail and specifics about how Ogbemudia escaped from Dimka. Ogbemudia did write an autobiography, anyways.
Re: Group Wants Igbanke Included In The Proposed Anioma State by Relax101(m): 1:19am On Oct 09, 2011
Physics, How do you explain people bearing Igbo name in Esan LG. I saw some names of Councillor from that part of Edo state and I stumbled on few Igbo names which I think shouldn't be from Esan because of its distance to Igbo speaking areas of Delta state.

Abeg use map show me. I wan learn some stuff from that area.
Re: Group Wants Igbanke Included In The Proposed Anioma State by GAR3TH(m): 2:32am On Oct 09, 2011
Anioma State  seriously Nigeria already has 36 cancers and you guys want to add a 37th. In a sane country everyone will be against state creation because it leads to less development. THE ONLY PEOPLE WHO BENEFIT FROM STATE CREATION ARE POLITICIANS.

Because in most states in nigeria about 70-80% of states budgets goes towards salaries. Leaving only 20-30% for actual development. Only Lagos state generates enough IGR for it to be sustainable and the other 35 states rely heavily on federal allocations.

When will these ediots who call themselves Nigerians, who call themselves humans realize that states are NOT created based on ETHNICITY but rather are created based on VIABILITY.

STOP CREATING THESE CANCERS, STOP CREATING THESE POINTLESS STATES AND STOP CREATING THESE EDIOTIC POLITICAL POSITIONS. I have had enough of this and yet we still have some moronic people who are for these states.

Seriously, are these people brain washed? Did these people go to school? I sorry but even a Five year old can do basic math. if X amount of funds goes toward state salaries and you create a new state whats the new result, 2x!!!!

You are now paying twice the amount of salaries for governing the same piece of land because you now have 2 state governing the original land and relativity the same amount of allocation.

Its common sense !!!!!!!! but you have people like the guy in the article brainwashing people on tribal and regional thoughts so he can achieve his pointless goal on creating Anioma state.

Like I said before states are NOT created based on ETHNICITY but rather are created based on VIABILITY.

Anioma state will just be like the other pointless state creations in nigeria who cant even pay a simple minimum wage nor do the have the budget for development.

Whats the definition of insanity, When you do the same thing over and over again, expecting a different result.

1 Like

Re: Group Wants Igbanke Included In The Proposed Anioma State by PhysicsQED(m): 2:35am On Oct 09, 2011
Relax101:

Physics, How do you explain people bearing Igbo name in Esan LG. I saw some names of Councillor from that part of Edo state and I stumbled on few Igbo names which I think shouldn't be from Esan because of its distance to Igbo speaking areas of Delta state.

Abeg use map show me. I wan learn some stuff from that area.

I'm not Esan, but I do know from an argument/debate that I had on this forum earlier this year, that there is one group in an Esan area, besides Ekpon, that are Igbo in origin. I'll look through that thread again to see which group it is.
Re: Group Wants Igbanke Included In The Proposed Anioma State by PhysicsQED(m): 2:43am On Oct 09, 2011
GAR3TH:

Anioma State  seriously Nigeria already has 36 cancers and you guys want to add a 37th. In a sane country everyone will be against state creation because it leads to less development. THE ONLY PEOPLE WHO BENEFIT FROM STATE CREATION ARE POLITICIANS.

Because in most states in nigeria about 70-80% of states budgets goes towards salaries. Leaving only 20-30% for actual development. Only Lagos state generates enough IGR for it to be sustainable and the other 35 states rely heavily on federal allocations.

When will these ediots who call themselves Nigerians, who call themselves humans realize that states are NOT created based on ETHNICITY but rather are created based on VIABILITY.

STOP CREATING THESE CANCERS, STOP CREATING THESE POINTLESS STATES AND STOP CREATING THESE EDIOTIC POLITICAL POSITIONS. I have had enough of this and yet we still have some moronic people who are for these states.

Seriously, are these people brain washed? Did these people go to school? I sorry but even a Five year old can do basic math. if X amount of funds goes toward state salaries and you create a new state whats the new result, 2x!!!!

You are now paying twice the amount of salaries for governing the same piece of land because you now have 2 state governing the original land and relativity the same amount of allocation.

Its common sense !!!!!!!! but you have people like the guy in the article brainwashing people on tribal and regional thoughts so he can achieve his pointless goal on creating Anioma state.

Like I said before states are NOT created based on ETHNICITY but rather are created based on VIABILITY.

Anioma state will just be like the other pointless state creations in nigeria who cant even pay a simple minimum wage nor do the have the budget for development.

Whats the definition of insanity, When you do the same thing over and over again, expecting a different result.

Could you elaborate more on the parts in red?
Re: Group Wants Igbanke Included In The Proposed Anioma State by GAR3TH(m): 3:19am On Oct 09, 2011
PhysicsQED:

In a sane country everyone will be against state creation because it leads to less development.

State creation is a balance between governing and sustainability hence why different countries of different sizes have different numbers of state/provinces such as Canada with 10 provinces and the USA with 50 states. Once this balance is made there is still room and ways to create more states but at what sacrifice will the new state have on its environment. To give you an example is long island New York, there was a movement to make Long island the 51th state in America. The reason why some long islanders wanted long island to become the 51th state is because they pay one of the highest taxes in America and they give more in taxes to New York state than they receive in development. so in Nigerian Lingo they were being "marginalized"

If long island became a state it might have had the highest standard of living in America due to the fact that instead of a large portion of their high taxes being sent to NY state, those taxes would have stayed on long island and developed the area.

But in reality many long islander are against the creation of long island state because it means New York state will be under funded which will lead to less development of new York state. It is this sense of "we as a people" that developed nations have that 3rd world countries lack. There could be 100 states in america but americans choose not to because it could mean their neighbor could be under funded and poor.
Re: Group Wants Igbanke Included In The Proposed Anioma State by GAR3TH(m): 3:34am On Oct 09, 2011
PhysicsQED:

Because in most states in nigeria about 70-80% of states budgets goes towards salaries. Leaving only 20-30% for actual development.

I cant find the article right now but the article talked about how states couldn't pay the minimum wage because  they already use large amounts of their budgets on salaries, if they had to pay the minimum wage it means they will have next to nothing for development. I found similar articles but im trying to find the specific one.
Re: Group Wants Igbanke Included In The Proposed Anioma State by ektbear: 3:44am On Oct 09, 2011
My own Ekiti is at 50% or less recurrent expenditure. At least this is what I read from the budget proposal on the website. Not every state is at 70 or 80.
Re: Group Wants Igbanke Included In The Proposed Anioma State by GAR3TH(m): 3:55am On Oct 09, 2011
Yea I know but I said that % to advocate a point that many states spend a large sum of their budgets on salaries. And the further more north you go the percentage increases, even some LGAs such as this one in plateau state spend 90% of their budget on salaries.

1 Like

Re: Group Wants Igbanke Included In The Proposed Anioma State by ektbear: 3:58am On Oct 09, 2011
I do agree with your overall point though, that the less states the better. Cheaper to have one governor than 6. 2 senators for the SW than 12 (or is it 3 per state in naija?)

But this must be balanced against self-determination.

Cost of gov't should be minimized yes, but subject to certain constraints.
Re: Group Wants Igbanke Included In The Proposed Anioma State by GAR3TH(m): 3:59am On Oct 09, 2011
ekt_bear:

I do agree with your overall point though, that the less states the better. Cheaper to have one governor than 6. 2 senators for the SW than 12 (or is it 3 per state in naija?)

But this must be balanced against self-determination.

Cost of gov't should be minimized yes, but subject to certain constraints.

+1
Re: Group Wants Igbanke Included In The Proposed Anioma State by ebere1712: 5:47am On Oct 09, 2011
simple states should take care of themselves. If you cant take care of your self then you die off or annex. Enough of the handouts. The handouts should be to the Nigerian citizens not states and governments; who spend 1 billion dollar to build a one millimeter road network.
Re: Group Wants Igbanke Included In The Proposed Anioma State by mensdept: 5:57am On Oct 09, 2011
We've been hearing about this so called proposed state called Anioma? But really, who's proposing it? How many states are we trying to get to, when clearly, Delta North, or Zamfara south zones cant even boast of any tangible infrastructure with their leaders in the House, Senate, State, LGA's.
Re: Group Wants Igbanke Included In The Proposed Anioma State by aljharem3: 6:36am On Oct 09, 2011
GAR3TH:

Correct if it is up to me, alot of states would be merged together. For example Plateau and kaduna, lagos and ogun, sokoto and zamfara, cross river and akwa ibom, imo and abia, ekiti and ondo, kwara and kogi. etc

Majority of these states are not valid on there own and would be more productive if they are merged together to make a stronger economy.

Not withstanding, everything in Nigeria is done based on tribalism.

Alone this year, the proposal of about 7-10 states have been submitted to NA.

The southern Kaduna want there own state

The anioma want there own state

The igbomina/okun/ilorin want there own state out of kwara

The Nupe want there own state still out of kwara

The ijaws want toru ebe state

The ijaws want beni ebe state

The ijaws want kengema state

the ijaws want abadi state

the ogoni want ogoni state

The ijebus want ijebu state with the itsekiris

The ikale want Oluwa state

I can keep going on and on

But one thing is common, there is no development without compromise. All the states I mentioned are not valid and even the size of the state would be a few square kilometers and the large ones are even worse of as there capital city would be the only residential place

(1) (2) (3) (4) (Reply)

Police Launches “Operation Harmony” In Southern Kaduna (Photos) / Pictures From Anambra Man Of Year 2021 Awards: Ozigbo, Chicason, E-Money Shine / Osun Tribunal: Oyetola, APC Cross Appeal, Insists Adeleke Forged Certificate

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 142
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.