Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,148,682 members, 7,801,965 topics. Date: Friday, 19 April 2024 at 07:07 AM

New Tires : Death Trap?. - Autos - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Autos / New Tires : Death Trap?. (13249 Views)

Registered 2004 Lexus LX 470 With Reverse Camera , New Tires For Sale! / Very Clean Toyota Camry 03 Few Months Registered 08036669132 4 Band New Tires / 2001 Toyota Sienna Le,leather,clean Carfax,new Tires Priced For Quick Sale (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (Reply) (Go Down)

New Tires : Death Trap?. by seal777(m): 10:49pm On Oct 08, 2011
I bought four brand new tires for my Honda 2003 model on recommendation that GT RADIAL is the best i can get for now but i am sad to tell you that i lost two of the tires to bump the same time on my way to Ibadan two weeks ago and also lost one more while within Ibadan town two days ago, i am lost for words to describe this as it has never happened to me before in over 10 years of driving experience and considering the fact that the one i have on the car before now is over 2 years old.

I went back to the guy who sold the tires to me only to be told that it was bad roads and bump that spoil the tires ( 3 brand new tires in 3 weeks).

I am grateful to God i wasn't over speeding when the incidents happened and just here to inform car users to be very careful when buying tires, N44,000 gone down the drain : These IBO GUYS will do anything to make money.

Be warned.
Re: New Tires : Death Trap?. by uchenageme(m): 11:02pm On Oct 08, 2011
I had the same kind of experience with GT RADIAL tires three years ago, since then I stay very far away from that tire, so brother I can confirm your story.
Re: New Tires : Death Trap?. by dagboss(m): 11:27pm On Oct 08, 2011
Posted by: seal777 
Insert Quote
I bought four brand new tires for my Honda 2003 model on recommendation that GT RADIAL is the best i can get for now but i am sad to tell you that i lost two of the tires to bump the same time on my way to Ibadan two weeks ago and also lost one more while within Ibadan town two days ago, i am lost for words to describe this as it has never happened to me before in over 10 years of driving experience and considering the fact that the one i have on the car before now is over 2 years old.

I went back to the guy who sold the tires to me only to be told that it was bad roads and bump that spoil the tires ( 3 brand new tires in 3 weeks).

I am grateful to God i wasn't over speeding when the incidents happened and just here to inform car users to be very careful when buying tires, N44,000 gone down the drain :
[i]These IBO GUYS will do anything to make money.[/[/i]b]

[b]Be warned

Is that particular brand of tire Igbo made

4 Likes

Re: New Tires : Death Trap?. by seal777(m): 11:48pm On Oct 08, 2011
@dagbos,

Its Igbo imported and Igbo sold under the guise of BRAND NEW TIRES sold at the actual cost of brand new without recourse to the risk to life.

Without been sentimental here,its a common phenomena with Igbo traders to launder fake product in the guise of new ones just to make money.
Re: New Tires : Death Trap?. by Jontaman: 5:04am On Oct 09, 2011
Leave Ibo 4 dis matter. Direct belgium tyres are more dependant than all these brandnew China tyres unless u find original brandnew Korea tyres. I believe tyres has grades & price ranges.
Re: New Tires : Death Trap?. by double08(m): 10:35am On Oct 09, 2011
why will u blame the igbos? why did you not go for brand new michellins,firestone or ingens which I am currently using and i am so confident of the tyres. stop the blame game

4 Likes

Re: New Tires : Death Trap?. by Shagati(m): 11:21am On Oct 09, 2011
OP,

Sorry for your loss.
Note though that propensity for excellence and deviousness exists in every human being
Not appropriate to generalise on sensitive issues like this

Cheers nate wink
Re: New Tires : Death Trap?. by GoldCircle: 11:33am On Oct 09, 2011
@OP, next time, try getting ur tyres from authorised outlets. By this I mean the direct manufacturer's rep in Nigeria. This I usually do. Though the tyres may come in expensive, they offer limited warranty (say 4wks - 6months) and they provide sundry services like computerised wheel balancing, alignment, fixing of tyres etc. I really don't think its about the GT radial brand. I believe the guy that sold it to you sold fake tyres.
Re: New Tires : Death Trap?. by Exponental(m): 12:18pm On Oct 09, 2011
Tire likely 2 be EXPIRED b4 purchase.
On one side of d tire, u see a set of 4-digit number cycled.
Eg 1206: 1st 2 numbers tells u dat d tyre was made in d 12th wk of d yr, dat shld be 4th wk in march while d oda 2 tells u d yr, 2006.
These numbers ONLY tells u d time of manufacture. The life-span of a tire is 4yrs, so add 4 to 2006, 2010, meaning if u buy such tire, u are buying an expired tire.
So watch out when buyin one.
Re: New Tires : Death Trap?. by Dizzybizzy: 12:56pm On Oct 09, 2011
@OP, hard luck! its obvious wat u bought was substandard.
Always buy frm authorized dealers and go for brands like Michelin, dunlop, pirelli, Bridgestone, BFGoodrich, Hankook e.t.c
Re: New Tires : Death Trap?. by chinnyonwu(m): 8:44am On Oct 10, 2011
dagboss:

Posted by: seal777 
Insert Quote

I am grateful to God i wasn't over speeding when the incidents happened and just here to inform car users to be very careful when buying tires, N44,000 gone down the drain :
[i]These IBO GUYS will do anything to make money.[/[/i]b]

[b]Be warned

Is that particular brand of tire Igbo made
ask me oh? Mtcheew
Re: New Tires : Death Trap?. by 702: 8:51am On Oct 10, 2011
If u need to get brand new tyres , consider the following
1. Date Of manufacture
2. Traction
3. Treadwear
4. Maximum inflating pressure
5. Speed Rating
6. Temperature resistance
7. Tire size
8. Maximum load capacity per tyre.

Hope this helps! wink
Re: New Tires : Death Trap?. by kenkruse: 9:07am On Oct 10, 2011
@Seal777
i could have offered solution but your last sentence is uncalled for. please grow up angry
Re: New Tires : Death Trap?. by mrofficial(m): 9:32am On Oct 10, 2011
^^ Do you see any Yoruba or Hausa man selling spare parts in Ladipo? cheesy
Re: New Tires : Death Trap?. by dammytosh: 9:41am On Oct 10, 2011
MY ADVICE.

RUN FROM ANY TYRE WITH "MADE IN CHINA INSCRIPTION". I HAD A CLOSE TO DEATH EXPERIENCE ON THE SAME LAGOS IBADAN EXPRESS WAY. COINCIDENTALLY , THEY WERE GT RADIAL TYRES TOO.
Re: New Tires : Death Trap?. by Ladipodeal: 9:44am On Oct 10, 2011
seal777:

I am grateful to God i wasn't over speeding when the incidents happened and just here to inform car users to be very careful when buying tires, N44,000 gone down the drain : These IBO GUYS will do anything to make money. Be warned.

@ topic
I believe your tire were over inflated. what pressure did you put in your tire?. Most vehicle owner put over 40psi in their tire whereas on GT tyres and some other manufactured in china the maximum permissible pressure is 36 psi, it is written boldly on it. Been using chinko tyres for over 4yrs but i make sure i don't inflate beyond vehicle specification written by the drivers side.
On most Toyota /Honda they recommend 30-32 psi, hardly you get any vulcanizer  who pumps 30psi, they rather put 40psi and above.
I drive fast on Lagos road at night in some pothole infested area and run into them most time so as not be a victim of arm robbers, I had  never had any issue with china tyre. I change them after 2 yrs of usage.

Top tire like Dunlop, Michelin etc allows for max pressure of 40psi but we always inflate beyond that herein Nigeria.

2 Likes

Re: New Tires : Death Trap?. by eggy(m): 10:08am On Oct 10, 2011
sorry 4 yr loss.
but other than the alleged quality of the tyres you purchased i strongly believe (like some 1 mentioned earlier) that your tyres were over inflated.
i have Gt radial tyres that i have been using 4 2yrs now (although i was advised to buy Indonesia rather than the made in china, which i strongly recommend)
and i have traveled to Warri frm lagos a couple of times with no bump issue on my tyres.
i strongly advice you pay proper attention wen nxt yr tyres are been inflated ,
44psi was what was prescribed for my 15rim tyres as inscribed on them but a road side vulcanizer inflated it to as much as 50 psi untill i spotted it and made him deflate it.
1s again sorry 4 yr loss but thank God the damage was minimal as no life was lost.
Re: New Tires : Death Trap?. by duke2000: 11:01am On Oct 10, 2011
I bought 2 for my 2008 model recently after i failed to get the right size of Dunlop brand from their warehouse at Ojodu. I have my fears for tyres bought from the general importers. S.O.N is not regulating standards as expected and China is very ready to manufacture any spec requested from greedy importers.

My advice is: always source your tyres from registered sole distributors of tested brands such as Dunlop. I am not sure they are still manufacturing here. There more expensive though.
Re: New Tires : Death Trap?. by dagboss(m): 11:07am On Oct 10, 2011
Sorry my brother. Funny enough when i changed my two front tires while on course in Jos around November 2010 i was shocked to notice that most tires in Nigeria these days like virtually everything in Nigeria are China made. The two brand new ones are chinco but i made sure the expiry date was still far i cant even remeber their names. I have been using them ever since moving from Lagos to Ibadan/ Ekiti state virtually every other weekend coupled with the terrible rock infested Ayobo road untill this last saturday when one small mallam iron truck pusher bursted one of them at Ogere illegal trailer park on my way to Ibadan, i just ignored him and changed to the spare because even if i had wanted to pull trouble with him where will he get 10 to 11k to pay me. The long and short of my story is that at times some of this things depend on luck anyway i have noted the name of the brand so that when i want to replace the burst tire or replace the whole i will avoid it like leprosy. Above all you almost lost my sympathy by attacking Igbos in  general, we people in Nairaland should thread softly on ethnic wars. Do not get me wrong o i am an Ekiti man 100% i just feel that you should not start another igbo/Yoruba/Hausa bashing stuff again i guess we have seen more than enough.

1 Like

Re: New Tires : Death Trap?. by Nobody: 11:24am On Oct 10, 2011
my tires on my 2003 pilot are gt radial and i've had them for over a year

and i'm a rough driver

its not enough for tires to be new - tires have an expiry date. so even if you by an unused tire, if its expired, you're still fked. which is probably what happened

gt radial is getting a bad rap from the antics of unscrupulous dealers in nigeria
Re: New Tires : Death Trap?. by Akadile: 11:44am On Oct 10, 2011
@ Poster, thanks for the information. Had the same experience with 2 brand new GT Radial tyres I got 6 months ago. One got torn like a newspaper without any bumps or potholes. Will check out the Inflation pressure though. Experienced Vulcanisers usually prefer MAXXIS tyres. Using them right now though more expensive. We learn everyday. Sorry for the damages.
Re: New Tires : Death Trap?. by Nobody: 12:25pm On Oct 10, 2011
seal777:

I am grateful to God i wasn't over speeding when the incidents happened and just here to inform car users to be very careful when buying tires, N44,000 gone down the drain : These IBO GUYS will do anything to make money.
Be warned.

Bro, I felt empathy towards you, till you decided to put a tribalist slant to things. What is it with Nigerians? Why can't we all unite as one? I can hardly blame racists these days - they're from a different country. Us Nigerians are only separated by tribe, yet we can't stick together. Shameful.

Besides, you bought your tires based on what you were willing to pay, so please, don't blame the Igbos. An Igbo man didn't climb a rubber tree, tap rubber, and mould the rubber into a tyre, did he? Most likely, you bought them because they were cheap. Either that, or you were rough over bumps and craters, with over or under-inflated tyres. Buckled rims can also lead to tyre failure.

Next time you decide to put your hard-earned dough into the garbage, think carefully about your choices. And learn to apportion blame to your own actions, not the Igbo man. Tribalists really stick in my maw, and are worse than racists.

6 Likes

Re: New Tires : Death Trap?. by COMPAQ(m): 2:36pm On Oct 10, 2011
I have used 4 GT radial tyres on my car for about 4 years with no issues.
Re: New Tires : Death Trap?. by Tinyemeka(m): 2:45pm On Oct 10, 2011
Siena, thanks for taking your time to respond to that.
Re: New Tires : Death Trap?. by Tinyemeka(m): 2:47pm On Oct 10, 2011
Siena, thanks for taking your time to respond to that. Some people just don't get it.
Re: New Tires : Death Trap?. by Phrankin(m): 2:52pm On Oct 10, 2011
Sorry my brother, we (Igbos) can't help it. You've got a really nice ass, thats why we like screwing you there.
Re: New Tires : Death Trap?. by bumdish: 5:08pm On Oct 10, 2011
Since i lost three of the four tyres that came with my brand new car in an accident, i have had to buy up to 6 new GT RADIAL tyres in less than 2 years for one reason or the other. The wear & tear rate has been alarming whereas I still use the Hankook Tyre that survive the accident till date.Not until recently did i meet a kind Igbo seller who pointed it to me that GT Radial wat tyres with "made in china" inscription are exactly wat they are; MADE IN CHINA.He showed me another GT Radial tyre with a Made in Indonesia inscription apparently with an higher price tag and presumed better quality.He advised me to go for particular brand "Double Star" which I bought.It is 2 weeks now and I can only hope time has good gist for me.
Re: New Tires : Death Trap?. by Nobody: 5:09pm On Oct 10, 2011
everything sold in Nigeria is 100% fake. name it
Re: New Tires : Death Trap?. by Ikenna351(m): 5:41pm On Oct 10, 2011
You got what you paid for. Why are you complaining and blaming us - the Igbos? You knew about Michelin and Dunlop, yet you went and bought CHAMPIRO GT RADIAL? The problem is not because it was Chinese production, but because the company dont build quality standard tyres, when compared with Michelin, Dunlop and other well known good branded tyres. Where a tyre is produced/manufactured is not the issue. Even if Michelin or Dunlop tyres are produced in China, they still maintain their standard in production.

You went for cheap article and got what you bargained for. Stop pushing blames. I made that mistake once when i replaced my 4 tyres in the past. But now, i know better. MAXXIS tyre is good, though. Spend heavily on tyre to protect your life & the car. I would rather buy a Dunlop produced in China than buy CHAMPIRO GT RADIAL produced in GERMANY.

Ikenna
Re: New Tires : Death Trap?. by savanto: 9:48pm On Oct 10, 2011
I have used GT Radial (Indonesia) in the past and it served me well. However, it may no longer be as it used to be those days. Two years ago, i decided to buy Infinity. I have used them (2) for two years now without any issue. I drive every day and I have traveled twice to Delta and they are still strong. I will recommend it to any one who hasn't much money for Goodyear, Michelin etc. If you must buy GT, please don't buy China made. Look out for Indonesia. Though sometimes you may not find it in the market because it is few importers that bring it in to the country. Importers like to import fake China tyres which is usually a quick sale. (our country men love cheap articles)
Re: New Tires : Death Trap?. by datola: 10:37pm On Oct 10, 2011
There is nothing tribal, asserting that Igbo guys do anything to make money. That has its positive side and negative side. The same way you refer to some products made in China as "Chinko" and some others also made in same China as "original". And hardly would you find any other tribe trading in auto part- so it must be igbos. They take credit for making auto parts affordable and available.

May be he could have been more politically correct by saying: Igbo guys are very industrious and can go extra miles in making money by selling cheap and/ or substandard products to those who need them like seal777. Thank God you are safe.
Re: New Tires : Death Trap?. by kenyarttar: 6:57pm On Dec 30, 2013
Exponental: Tire likely 2 be EXPIRED b4 purchase.
On one side of d tire, u see a set of 4-digit number cycled.
Eg 1206: 1st 2 numbers tells u dat d tyre was made in d 12th wk of d yr, dat shld be 4th wk in march while d oda 2 tells u d yr, 2006.
These numbers ONLY tells u d time of manufacture. The life-span of a tire is 4yrs, so add 4 to 2006, 2010, meaning if u buy such tire, u are buying an expired tire.
So watch out when buyin one.

Thanks for this tip!

(1) (2) (Reply)

04 Lexus GX470 @ 3.350m, 012 Hoda Accord @ 3.2m, 03 Toyota Highlander @ 1.9m. / Samuel Ortom Unveils Ijodo Tractor (photos) / CLEAN SCANIA COOLING VAN 16M LAST!!!

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 63
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.