Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,150,316 members, 7,808,067 topics. Date: Thursday, 25 April 2024 at 06:29 AM

Why Do Most Nigerians Use Exotic Cars Yet Live In Poor Or Rented Houses? - Car Talk - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Car Talk / Why Do Most Nigerians Use Exotic Cars Yet Live In Poor Or Rented Houses? (10438 Views)

Rolls Royce Owner, Who Lives In A Rented Flat In FESTAC / See What Lagos Fuel Scarcity Made This Poor Man Do / Pictures Of Exotic Cars In Nigeria (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (Reply) (Go Down)

Why Do Most Nigerians Use Exotic Cars Yet Live In Poor Or Rented Houses? by ojubi(m): 5:55am On Oct 10, 2011
Dear naira landers, it gives me a lot of concern to see many people driving the latest car in town, most times they have more than one of such ride but live in a rented house with their families for more than 10 years.

Are this group of people afraid of buying land and building their own houses? Or they just want to be seen as being rich while in reality is not true?

There are another group of people who drive moderate cars but live in dilapidated houses, face me i face you, etc.

Should what an individual drive be more important than were they live? Or should what we drive be more important that owning things of value like a piece or real estate? Your logical contributions please.

1 Like

Re: Why Do Most Nigerians Use Exotic Cars Yet Live In Poor Or Rented Houses? by lurvy: 7:19am On Oct 10, 2011
grin undecided grin
Re: Why Do Most Nigerians Use Exotic Cars Yet Live In Poor Or Rented Houses? by femmy2010(m): 9:00am On Oct 10, 2011
I guess it is just a matter of them not getting their priority right.
Re: Why Do Most Nigerians Use Exotic Cars Yet Live In Poor Or Rented Houses? by werepeLeri: 9:56am On Oct 10, 2011
whats anybodies business what anyone chose to do with his or her money?

mtchewwwww. Typical Nigerian crude mentality.

1 Like

Re: Why Do Most Nigerians Use Exotic Cars Yet Live In Poor Or Rented Houses? by r231(m): 10:35am On Oct 10, 2011
femmy2010:

I guess it is just a matter of them not getting their priority right.

true
Re: Why Do Most Nigerians Use Exotic Cars Yet Live In Poor Or Rented Houses? by dagboss(m): 11:16am On Oct 10, 2011
Methink its a matter of personal priority. It is a personal thing whoever is in that category believes that is what gives him the best kick in life, na im sabi why should i be taking panadol extra for another person's head ache? cheesy @werepeLeri, i do not know your locarion but you will agree with me that our society is still the type where people still believe your neighbours should have a say in the way you chose to live your life i dont know if it is right or wrong o undecided undecided undecided
Re: Why Do Most Nigerians Use Exotic Cars Yet Live In Poor Or Rented Houses? by fizzybaba(m): 11:38am On Oct 10, 2011
if fhemmy, an auto dealer can say they havent got their priority right, then TRULY, they havent!
Re: Why Do Most Nigerians Use Exotic Cars Yet Live In Poor Or Rented Houses? by femmy2010(m): 12:07pm On Oct 10, 2011
@dagboss,
I do not believe our society is  one where every neighbor has a say in our lives.
Curiosity and wonder which is where philosophy grew from is synonymous with all society of the world(9ja not excluded).
Peeps are often curious why one would get drunk and end up sleeping in the gutter,we wonder why peeps reside in a rented 3bedroom apartment would drive around in a N6m jeep when he/she could easily have bought a flat for N5m in a place similar to Marwa garden estate etc and still drive around in a cute N1m car,we get curious why a parent would give birth to kids they can not fend for.
We wonder but almost never confront the subject of our wondering.
Re: Why Do Most Nigerians Use Exotic Cars Yet Live In Poor Or Rented Houses? by webmaster3: 12:17pm On Oct 10, 2011
@Fhemmy: Are u sure u can buy a flat out rightly for 5Million Naira in Marwa Gardens?
Re: Why Do Most Nigerians Use Exotic Cars Yet Live In Poor Or Rented Houses? by usbcable(m): 12:28pm On Oct 10, 2011
@Fhemmy,

web_master:

@Fhemmy: Are u sure u can buy a flat out rightly for 5Million Naira in Marwa Gardens?

Kindly respond.
Re: Why Do Most Nigerians Use Exotic Cars Yet Live In Poor Or Rented Houses? by Kx: 12:32pm On Oct 10, 2011
Its a case of misplaced priorities.
2 good cars and u are a tenant?
And most have even worked for a very long period of time.
its shocking really
Re: Why Do Most Nigerians Use Exotic Cars Yet Live In Poor Or Rented Houses? by mbatuku1: 12:40pm On Oct 10, 2011
Properties in Nigeria are way too exorbitant. I think that they have sensed that bubble will soon burst so are staying away for the moment. lol.
Re: Why Do Most Nigerians Use Exotic Cars Yet Live In Poor Or Rented Houses? by femmy2010(m): 12:44pm On Oct 10, 2011
Marwa garden is an example.
An elder Broda bought a 3bed at LSHS Ojokora,ijaye early this year for N4m.
Many peeps does not know where ijaye is located but marwa garden would allow them understand the type of estate been described.
Re: Why Do Most Nigerians Use Exotic Cars Yet Live In Poor Or Rented Houses? by DeepSoul(f): 12:48pm On Oct 10, 2011

I see no reason why a person would drive a N5m car and live in a RENTED house with no plans on ground to own his or her own property. It's not about not minding my business. It's my opinion that they are purely being foolish.

Except, of course, u live in Abuja where a plot of land costs N100m grin

1 Like

Re: Why Do Most Nigerians Use Exotic Cars Yet Live In Poor Or Rented Houses? by manchy7531: 12:49pm On Oct 10, 2011
For me, to say most Nigerians i see it as generalizing it cos i know the people of the western,region on an average, will rather buy the best cloths,drive the best cars and throw an owanbe party but still when you look deep down you will discover that all is not as well as one would think(living a fake life).

i know people of the eastern region would rather dress in rags and while that is going on,they are building one of the best houses in his hometown and obviously his children will be some of the best school around and also probably building his business empire.
Re: Why Do Most Nigerians Use Exotic Cars Yet Live In Poor Or Rented Houses? by kushe: 12:52pm On Oct 10, 2011
nigerians hav been sold a lie

there is absolutely nothing wrong in renting

the problem is living outide ur means

i can be a billionaire and choose to live in a rented property,that way my assets are more liquid and not necessarily tied up

most home owners dont hav a clue about the economics of owning a home especially in nigeria

all i hear is ' i dont want to spend the rest of my life dashing landlord money '

i know some smart ppl will jump on my tail but most of dem dont play in the major league of finance

why do they say cash is king

and why dont multinationals in nigeria buy property
Re: Why Do Most Nigerians Use Exotic Cars Yet Live In Poor Or Rented Houses? by Nobody: 1:17pm On Oct 10, 2011
Most of those cars you're seeing are bought for them by the company as official cars, and it becomes theirs after 3-4 years. So don't think your neighbour that uses N6m car paid for it from his pocket.

Also, the taste of someone using, say 9m Prado, will usually be high in house as well. He would most likely have plans to build 30-40m house, which he may barely afford now.
Re: Why Do Most Nigerians Use Exotic Cars Yet Live In Poor Or Rented Houses? by femmy2010(m): 1:28pm On Oct 10, 2011
kushe:

nigerians hav been sold a lie

there is absolutely nothing wrong in renting

the problem is living outide your means

i can be a billionaire and choose to live in a rented property,that way my assets are more liquid and not necessarily tied up

most home owners dont hav a clue about the economics of owning a home especially in nigeria

all i hear is ' i dont want to spend the rest of my life dashing landlord money '

i know some smart ppl will jump on my tail but most of dem dont play in the major league of finance

why do they say cash is king

and why dont multinationals in nigeria buy property

Frankly,there exist no single Nigeria "based" Billionaire that would not have at least 1 house of his/her own(Show me one and i will lick your shoe).
I rather buy a N400k land at Sango or Ibafo set aside N500k yearly for building it and move into my own 3 bedroom bungalow in 10years time than keep paying N400k per year till the end of my life.
What happens if other multinationals go the way of airtel by reducing salary of their workers or sticking to a clause in the condition of your employment why you would not be paid a good pension or non at all?
Nothing wrong with always wanting to reside in Lekki,VI,Ajah etc but if you can not afford to to buy a land for N100m there then have a backup plan by building a 10m worth of 5 bedroom bungalow in Ibafo.
IT PAYS TO ACCEPT THE FACT THAT NOTHING IS IMPOSSIBLE.
Re: Why Do Most Nigerians Use Exotic Cars Yet Live In Poor Or Rented Houses? by harakiri(m): 1:36pm On Oct 10, 2011
ojubi:

Dear naira landers, it gives me a lot of concern to see many people driving the latest car in town, most times they have more than one of such ride but live in a rented house with their families for more than 10 years.

Are this group of people afraid of buying land and building their own houses? Or they just want to be seen as being rich while in reality is not true?

There are another group of people who drive moderate cars but live in dilapidated houses, face me i face you, etc.

Should what an individual drive be more important than were they live? Or should what we drive be more important that owning things of value like a piece or real estate? Your logical contributions please.

Can you define what you mean by "EXOTIC CAR"? How many "exotic cars" have you seen with your two eyes in Nigeria and how many of the owners live in the so called "poor rented houses"? Poverty has really cooked the brains of Nigerians. Exotic cars are the likes of Bentley,Rolls Royce,Ferrari,Porsche,Lamborghini,Mercedes,BMW,Aston Martin,Bugatti Veyron,Maybach and so on. These are exotic cars NOT Toyota Camry and Honda accord that I'm pretty sure are the so called "exotic cars" you're referring to. In the western hemisphere, a lot of people drive good cars and still live in rented apartments. There are millionaires who have no houses of their own (a lot live in hotel suites for years) so what are you talking about?

1 Like

Re: Why Do Most Nigerians Use Exotic Cars Yet Live In Poor Or Rented Houses? by Nobody: 1:43pm On Oct 10, 2011
harakiri:

Can you define what you mean by "EXOTIC CAR"? How many "exotic cars" have you seen with your two eyes in Nigeria and how many of the owners live in the so called "poor rented houses"? Poverty has really cooked the brains of Nigerians. Exotic cars are the likes of Bentley,Rolls Royce,Ferrari,Porsche,Lamborghini,Mercedes,BMW,Aston Martin,Bugatti Veyron,Maybach and so on. These are exotic cars NOT Toyota Camry and Honda accord that I'm pretty sure are the so called "exotic cars" you're referring to. In the western hemisphere, a lot of people drive good cars and still live in rented apartments. There are millionaires who have no houses of their own (a lot live in hotel suites for years) so what are you talking about?
Good one. I agree fully with you.

If you don't use a Tokunbo car in Nigeria, then you're seen as using 'exotic cars'. All brand new cars are exotic in some Nigerians thinking. I absolutely see nothing wrong in someone using Toyota Camry 2010 or Honda Accord 2010 and living in rented apartment.
Re: Why Do Most Nigerians Use Exotic Cars Yet Live In Poor Or Rented Houses? by blackpanda: 1:44pm On Oct 10, 2011
The answer is a no-brainer, WE SPEND MORE TIME IN OUR CARS THAN IN OUR HOMES! THOSE LEAVING IN LAGOS WILL UNDERSTAND WHAT I MEAN!!
Re: Why Do Most Nigerians Use Exotic Cars Yet Live In Poor Or Rented Houses? by dangerzone: 1:48pm On Oct 10, 2011
because most of them dont get the money in a clean way,so they spend it lavishly
Re: Why Do Most Nigerians Use Exotic Cars Yet Live In Poor Or Rented Houses? by Nobody: 1:52pm On Oct 10, 2011
ojubi:

Most likely, most of them have their house projects going on. It may take years.
I know someone who became a Manager in a bank while still in a 3-bedroom rented apartment. He was given official car(Toyota Corolla 2004, the latest then) and got a driver. But his neighbours did not know he had already completed his house in his village(far back 2002) and was about completing that of Lagos(which he started 2003). He moved to that moderate house in Ajah shortly(2005) and today due to the then crazy Ajah traffic, bought a 50m house in VI(now arrived).
Re: Why Do Most Nigerians Use Exotic Cars Yet Live In Poor Or Rented Houses? by blank(f): 1:59pm On Oct 10, 2011
Someone buying a new car for 6million naira may be able to afford land and house of same amount. But think about it, what kind of house can u get for that amount? What kind of traffic will he face to work? etc. I will personally prefer to rent a good house near my office and drive a good car than buy house/land far away from my office and start doing 4am to 11pm commute just cause i want to live in my own house.
Re: Why Do Most Nigerians Use Exotic Cars Yet Live In Poor Or Rented Houses? by iice(f): 1:59pm On Oct 10, 2011
We all have our priorities
Re: Why Do Most Nigerians Use Exotic Cars Yet Live In Poor Or Rented Houses? by jerryben12: 2:02pm On Oct 10, 2011
Depends on your thinking and environment. In the US, UK etc, people live in mini apartments and drive nice cars. Their thinking is different from Africans. These people buy these cars as a measure of their needs. Some African buy cars because they wants to be seen in cars by others. I did not say all Africans.
Re: Why Do Most Nigerians Use Exotic Cars Yet Live In Poor Or Rented Houses? by owohblow: 2:12pm On Oct 10, 2011
Owning your own house is the best.
No landlord can tell you to move out cos his brother is coming back from America,meaning you have to look for another up to N1m to pay for another 2 years rent.
Re: Why Do Most Nigerians Use Exotic Cars Yet Live In Poor Or Rented Houses? by texazzpete(m): 2:23pm On Oct 10, 2011
ojubi:

My dear m'oron
Why should anyone's choice (with their own money!) become your business?
Re: Why Do Most Nigerians Use Exotic Cars Yet Live In Poor Or Rented Houses? by kpolli(m): 2:40pm On Oct 10, 2011
is it ur money? free them jo
Re: Why Do Most Nigerians Use Exotic Cars Yet Live In Poor Or Rented Houses? by harakiri(m): 2:46pm On Oct 10, 2011
texazzpete:

My dear m'oron

Nice one! This reminds me of Keanu Reeves who has been living in hotel rooms for years and bought a house recently after all the millions of dollars he's been making. For some people, it's preferable to rent a 3bdr in Lekki than to buy cheap land in Mowe/Ibafo and drive lengthy distances to work each day all in the name of being a landlord/landlady. Further, people's tastes differ. Some people would rather spend good money on rent to live in a decent environment than to go and live in a bush all because they are tired of paying rent.

Further more, i still can't comprehend how Toyota Camry,Honda accord,Nissan pathfinder and Kia picanto are being rated as "exotic cars". These are basic everyday cars for transportation. There's nothing "exotic" about them. Poverty has really corroded the brains of Nigerians.
Re: Why Do Most Nigerians Use Exotic Cars Yet Live In Poor Or Rented Houses? by kokoye(m): 2:47pm On Oct 10, 2011
It is all about presentation.

How many poeple will see that house . . .really?

But if you drive a nice car, some doors will open for you . . believe it or not?

Office gatemen will open their gates for you . . clubs will gives you respect and not ask you to park your car outside  grin

ladies will peep to see whoi's driving the car  wink

Even some employers will treat you with respect when the see the kind of car you drive . .seriously!

So . .yea, some poeple use that 'fancy' car to get what they want and eventually are able to afford the kinda house they want.

For a good life, a nice car can be a necessity . . . not your own house rightaway

#think about it
Re: Why Do Most Nigerians Use Exotic Cars Yet Live In Poor Or Rented Houses? by Nobody: 2:48pm On Oct 10, 2011
texazzpete:

My dear m'oron

Spot on Mate.

(1) (2) (3) (Reply)

Free Oil, Free Oil Filter,free Oil Change, Free Vehicle Scan / Modifications On Toyota Corolla 2010 / FRSC Set For Nationwide Enforcement Of Speed Limiting Device

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 58
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.