Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,148,840 members, 7,802,690 topics. Date: Friday, 19 April 2024 at 06:58 PM

An Open Informal Letter To Beaf On Fuel Subsidy - Business (4) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Business / An Open Informal Letter To Beaf On Fuel Subsidy (11834 Views)

Remove Fuel Subsidy Now! World Bank Tells Buhari. / Modern Organised Informal Agricultural Buyers Necessary In Nigerian IFS / PART 1: NIGERIAN OIL INDUSTRY AND FUEL SUBSIDY: FACTS, MYTHS & HIDDEN TRUTH (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: An Open Informal Letter To Beaf On Fuel Subsidy by Nobody: 11:56am On Oct 11, 2011
@edilove

yawn
post so long
meant nothing
didnt bother to read

your GEJ has nothing to offer me only high blood pressure
EVERYDAY on the news its just another day of him tryn to prove how much more dumb he can become,
Nigeria is on auto pilot , ,,
Re: An Open Informal Letter To Beaf On Fuel Subsidy by mathskill: 11:59am On Oct 11, 2011
In 2010, the EU spent €57 billion on agricultural development, of which €39 billion was spent on direct subsidies The United States currently pays around $20 billion per year to farmers in direct subsidies as "farm income stabilization" via U.S. farm bills. If the american government and the EU the richest country and economic block the world has ever seen can subsidize a relevant part of their economy why should any one want to remove subsidy in a very relevant and strategic part of the nigerian economy with the attendant negative consequance on the average nigerian.Moreover when we know the reason why the gorventment spends much on fuel subsidy is because we import what we have.If all our refineries are up and running there will be no need to import fuel at exhorbitant international rate all we need to do is pump crude oil, refine and sale  at our desired  rate that will not hamper and disrupt our economic growth and social order.So for goodness sake the government should tackle the rot in the oil industry and make our refineries functioning again.
Re: An Open Informal Letter To Beaf On Fuel Subsidy by jason123: 12:20pm On Oct 11, 2011
PointB:

Interesting. Some of you have fallen for Alj Harem ploy to twist the tread around me, and make it look like I was the one that proposed the removal of subsidy in the first place. Secondly, the issue of where I live or not is purely academic speculation. Personally, I enjoy the speculations, and would definitely do noting to douse it other than say, I am more Nigerian than many of you that are posting, or attacking my person, heeding the clarion call of the discredited Ahj Harem.
So we can either continue to rake and rave at PointB, or deal with the issue at hand.

Now back to the issue at hand. I personally think it is mischievous to think or pretend that the issue of deregulation of the pump price (or downstream sector) as it sometimes called is a recently muted idea. Many of the past president muted the idea, and eventually let it go. Furthermore, the past presidents (delibrately) refused to fix the oil refinery, and some of them became Petroleum Ministers. Have we ever bothered to ask, why?

My unconfirmed theory is that, it is very sweet to import refined petroleum. Present a couple of authentic looking paper to the power that be, grease a few palms here and there, and you are paid for oil you did not import. There is a very good possibility over-quoting, etc and different layers of fraud, that even forensic examiners will find it difficult to pin point. I tell you this, not because I know, but simply because, it is highly possible.

Now a sincere government might invest so much time and energy trying to plug the loopholes, and cage this fraudsters. but such a highly sophisticated fraud machine will fight back. Including using sentiments, fears, willing and unwilling tool like Alj Harem to fight back, and maintain the status quo. Honestly, every petroleum 'importer/marketer' will do everything in their power to frustrate this attack on their easy money. Let us not allow ourselves to be used as an excuse to continue to enrich other private citizens, who could care less about you. If it is easy to simply eliminate fraud and continue subsidy, that would have the case since Abacha, Obj. These presidents simply enjoyed the 'benefit' of the fraudulent practice, and enriched themselves, when they could not stop the oil mafia. I am wont to say we are lucky to have a president who does not want to 'enjoy' easy money.

Someone mention Ghana [/b]as oil producer. As a matter of fact, Ghana has started producing oil, but their refining capacity at Tema Oil Refinery is next to none existent. Ghana imports both crude and refined oil. In some instances, either there is no crude oil for the refinery to process: http://www.ghanabusinessnews.com/2011/09/06/tema-oil-refinery-shuts-main-unit-runs-out-of-crude-report/ - Sept 9, 2011 or their Refinery cannot refine their own crude oil - http://www.ghanaweb.com/GhanaHomePage/NewsArchive/artikel.php?ID=208228 Even at this the current President of Ghana against earlier campaign promise successfully removed subsidy in Ghana. Ghana is not even as wealthy as Nigeria, in terms of wages and others.

So please, leave Ghana out this, let's face our country - Nigeria.[b] Many of Nigerians are paying beyond 200/liter even without deregulation
, I am sure they will be happy to pay less, when artificial scarcity is caused by 'paper' import is dealt with. Nigerian government has not built a refinery in several years, I dont see them building any today, especially in the new era of privatization. We can either continue to allow a few people to benefit from our collective commonwealth, or continue to bury our head in the sand of excuse. Again some of you that have decide to adopt little mind about the issue, by wrapping it around me, quit wasting your energy, I am just a single Nigerian saying, if Ghana can survive without subsidy, Nigeria will thrive!

For petrol? shocked
For where?
It only happens when there is fuel scarcity and people are forced to go to the black market for fuel. Usually around the holiday period.

@ Your post
Point B, I want you to take your time and think about the socio-economic implications. Then, I want to know if the you can still tell us that the benefits of subsidy removal out-weighs the disadvantages. I am not ridiculing you. I simply want to know your opinion after calming down.
Re: An Open Informal Letter To Beaf On Fuel Subsidy by PointB: 12:40pm On Oct 11, 2011
jason123:

For petrol? shocked
For where?
It only happens when there is fuel scarcity and people are forced to go to the black market for fuel. Usually around the holiday period.

@ Your post
Point B, I want you to take your time and think about the socio-economic implications. Then, I want to know if the you can still tell us that the benefits of subsidy removal out-weighs the disadvantages. I am not ridiculing you. I simply want to know your opinion after calming down.

Don't get me wrong, I am not saying there wont be soci0-economic implication, but can you also honestly tell me of any era where people have not complained of social economic problem. 'The poor will always be with us' - says Jesus Christ himself!

Besides, there are other places that need subsidy - manufacturing, hospital, agriculture. That is where the subsidy should be going, Paying some government cronies for imports and alleged import of fuel is not the way to help the populace. Subsidy in agriculture aimed at making food cheaper, subsidy in health bill aimed at improving health, and subsidy in some manufacturing concern (perhap in term of electricity subsidy) might also be good.

But the bottom line is that no matter what you do, the poor will remain, continuing to waste resources and fuel corruption for PDP chieftains, government cronies, and other 'smart' business people is not the best for the country.

Nigerians want government to fight corruption, but are not willing to make any sacrifice. How can we move from here? Maybe we should just keep quiet and enjoy it. We are all beneficiary of the corruption.
Re: An Open Informal Letter To Beaf On Fuel Subsidy by brainpulse: 12:46pm On Oct 11, 2011
@ PointB

Your Gonernment lack Vision.

WHy should it be only on Petroleum products "IT" is concentrating on.
Why can he deregulate Agriculture products, etc
"IT" has no vision at all
Re: An Open Informal Letter To Beaf On Fuel Subsidy by PointB: 12:54pm On Oct 11, 2011
^^^

It is not my government.  grin grin GEJ is not a president over only me.  grin

But joke apart, removing the subsidy is a visionary move! Besides what is there to deregulate in Agricultural Products? Educate me please.
Re: An Open Informal Letter To Beaf On Fuel Subsidy by Parnassuss(m): 1:05pm On Oct 11, 2011
@PointB, there is no merit to your argument. If the govt can't have one functioning refinery, or provide 10,000mw then we should go and sit down in our mediocrity. The subsidy removal I pray, should spark a bigger quarrel, even a fight, where I hope, a lot of people will get killed. That's how dire I project the picture will be if the subsidy is removed without any other alternative.
Re: An Open Informal Letter To Beaf On Fuel Subsidy by naijaking1: 1:11pm On Oct 11, 2011
Heaven will not fall with removal of the subsidy. The idea of goverment subsiding every liter of petrol in Nigeria when the price of petrol is already much higher with the so-called subsidy is simply ridiculous.
The noise is that a liter will cost more than 142 naira after subsidies are removed, guess what it already cost more than 150 in parts of the country.
Re: An Open Informal Letter To Beaf On Fuel Subsidy by DrugDoc: 1:17pm On Oct 11, 2011
Thanks Mr. B, Edicolove and others.  There is finally hope of tackling our most serious problems and usher in an era jobs and economic growth but suffering don "dabaru the sense" of the African man and woman.
  The subsidy should go.  We are not an European Nation. The countries of Europe have a majority tribe AND a common religion so they can honestly administer subsidies.  For Europe, "na we, we".  Nigeria is a forced union of divided interest, it is near impossible to honestly administer fuel subsidy.  It is only used to siphon wealth away from the national treasury to a few corrupt pockets for just importing fuel.   1.2 Trillion Naira on subsidy per annum!
  If our graduates want jobs, removing the fuel subsidy is their best bet.  If we want constant fuel supply removing the subsidy is our best bet.  If we want electric power, remove government from that business.
Re: An Open Informal Letter To Beaf On Fuel Subsidy by jason123: 1:18pm On Oct 11, 2011
PointB:

Don't get me wrong, I am not saying there wont be soci0-economic implication, but can you also honestly tell me of any era where people have not complained of social economic problem. 'The poor will always be with us' - says Jesus Christ himself!

Besides, there are other places that need subsidy - manufacturing, hospital, agriculture. That is where the subsidy should be going, Paying some government cronies for imports and alleged import of fuel is not the way to help the populace. Subsidy in agriculture aimed at making food cheaper, subsidy in health bill aimed at improving health, and subsidy in some manufacturing concern (perhap in term of electricity subsidy) might also be good.

But the bottom line is that no matter what you do, the poor will remain, continuing to waste resources and fuel corruption for PDP chieftains, government cronies, and other 'smart' business people is not the best for the country.

Nigerians want government to fight corruption, but are not willing to make any sacrifice. How can we move from here? Maybe we should just keep quiet and enjoy it. We are all beneficiary of the corruption.

Okay; now I totally see where you are coming from, given the two highlighted paragraphs.
In an idea society, what you just put down makes a whole lot of sense but in Niaja, it just wouldn't work because:-

1) Our economy is dependent on Oil. Have you been to Niaja anytime the fuel prices go up? Every other commodity goes up as well and would NEVER come down (even after the fuel prices may have been reduced). A 150% increase in gasoline price will translate to atleast 100-120% increase in everyday things like bread, peak milk etc. These things are essential to a "common man's" survival. Imagine bread for 400-450 Niara shocked?

2) This will not stop corruption. In fact, it will increase in my opinion. How, you ask? I am sure you know the crime rate which was reducing last year (using Lagos (its a mini Nigeria) as my reference point i.e Fashola's interview), has suddenly shot up. You know about the "egunge" and 20Naira epidemic in Nigeria, don't you? Now, imagine that with twice the current hardship they are facing; keeping in mind that most collect ordinary 18k (now valued at 9k given the coming inflation) home to their families and dependents.

3) We don't even have a source of constant power supply, adding to the frustration of the people. Trust me, there is a HUGE difference between a man who comes home with the power supply on and a man who comes home with none, all under the heat of the equatorial sun.

These factors are unbearable. Poverty does not know ethnicity or religion. When the time comes, you'll be surprise with the way Nigerians will act.
Re: An Open Informal Letter To Beaf On Fuel Subsidy by mathskill: 1:19pm On Oct 11, 2011
PointB i guess you must have noticed that the majority of respondant's to this thread are against the removal of fuel subsidy.without further arguemnt i believe majority carries the day.
Re: An Open Informal Letter To Beaf On Fuel Subsidy by jason123: 1:20pm On Oct 11, 2011
naijaking1:

Heaven will not fall with removal of the subsidy. The idea of goverment subsiding every liter of petrol in Nigeria when the price of petrol is already much higher with the so-called subsidy is simply ridiculous.
The noise is that a liter will cost more than 142 naira after subsidies are removed, guess what it already cost more than 150 in parts of the country.

Rightly so. Heaven will not fall but its not right. Its very selfish and unreasonable.
Re: An Open Informal Letter To Beaf On Fuel Subsidy by PointB: 1:36pm On Oct 11, 2011
mathskill:

PointB i guess you must have noticed that the majority of respondant's to this thread are against the removal of fuel subsidy.without further arguemnt i believe majority carries the day.

That the majority support an argument does not make it right my brother. Besides, I am just giving my opinion on this matter, not that my opinion is more important than that of other poster. This is an online forum where people are free to express themselves. And I can see clearly that many are resisting change due to fear of the unknown - a basic human instinct.

However, the worse of our fears may not actually materialize, if the subsidy is removed Nigeria will survive, if it remains Nigerian will also continue to inch forward. Whichever way the policy makers decide to go about it, the only thing I know is that - we will find a way. We are humans!
Re: An Open Informal Letter To Beaf On Fuel Subsidy by kruku: 1:45pm On Oct 11, 2011
i think there are million and one areas of the nigeria economy that require government review.
1. the money spent in the national house of assembly
2. the massive embezzlement in the government circle
3. the sick but never die NNPC and her refinery
these areas need urgent positve attention rather than outright removal of subsidy on petroleum products.
i have always known nigerian to be dosile when it come to fighting for their right, but for this one i cannot vouch for it. Prsident Goodluck(?) beware and bewise!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!. there is a fire spreading across the world, memera!!!!!!. eyes dey red O!
Re: An Open Informal Letter To Beaf On Fuel Subsidy by femmy2010(m): 1:53pm On Oct 11, 2011
No one is saying subsidy shouldn't be removed but what majority of Nigerians are asking for is that the government use "our" money to build new refineries and make the ones we have already to work to an optimal level.
That government should improve power supply to at least 18hrs per day before subsidy should be removed.
Frankly.the only thing most Nigerians enjoy from the govt is this to be removed subsidy.
Re: An Open Informal Letter To Beaf On Fuel Subsidy by DrugDoc: 1:54pm On Oct 11, 2011
@Kruku,
I hope you saw the Abia rape video.  That is probably the kind of revolution that will occur.  If MEND is wise, they will use this opportunity to seize their oil once and for all.  You and your red eyes will still survive.  The fuel subsidy is seriously slowing the development of Nigeria.  Anyone that wants progress and jobs should support its removal.
Re: An Open Informal Letter To Beaf On Fuel Subsidy by aljharem3: 2:37pm On Oct 11, 2011
Parnassuss:

@PointB, there is no merit to your argument. If the govt can't have one functioning refinery, or provide 10,000mw then we should go and sit down in our mediocrity. The subsidy removal I pray, should spark a bigger quarrel, even a fight, where I hope, a lot of people will get killed. That's how dire I project the picture will be if the subsidy is removed without any other alternative.

Gbammmmmm that is the point of this thread and not to ridicule anyone
Re: An Open Informal Letter To Beaf On Fuel Subsidy by DrugDoc: 3:05pm On Oct 11, 2011
The government has admitted its failure and mediocrity but you don't want to hear. We are all responsible for this mess. Its failure and mediocrity is Nigeria's too. It wants the private sector to run things for a profit since Nigeria by its design lacks patriotism. If NITEL were running the gsm sector, you can just imagine where that sector will be now. We will only bring misery on ourselves by asking a government of looters to refine and subsidize our fuel.
Re: An Open Informal Letter To Beaf On Fuel Subsidy by garsul: 5:01pm On Oct 11, 2011
much said about deregulation/removal of subsidy, how has this made kerosene and diesel available and affordable to on average nigerian? if government is to remove subsidy then we dont have need for government in nigeria anymore because the only benefit we get from government is cheap fuel as they cannot provide security, healthcare, education, good roads etc. and for those that argue that subsidy goes to the pocket of only a few, how can that be, when with subsidy every nigerian is able to buy fuel at N65, while without it we will by at N200, so is the difference not going into the pockets of every petrol buyer?
Re: An Open Informal Letter To Beaf On Fuel Subsidy by Revolutnz: 6:01pm On Oct 11, 2011
Nigeria refines a combined 445,000 barrels per day(at full capacity  cry) while just one of India's many refineries can refine 1,300,000 barrels per day   shocked.

The question is, are our leaders sincere enough to use the trillions of naira meant for oil subsidy to build a world class refinery like that of India and Saudi. Your answer is as good as mine

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of_oil_refineries#World.27s_largest_refineries
Re: An Open Informal Letter To Beaf On Fuel Subsidy by lanrefront1(m): 6:26pm On Oct 11, 2011
DrugDoc:

The government has admitted its failure and mediocrity but you don't want to hear. We are all responsible for this mess. Its failure and mediocrity is Nigeria's too. It wants the private sector to run things for a profit since Nigeria by its design lacks patriotism. If NITEL were running the gsm sector, you can just imagine where that sector will be now. We will only bring misery on ourselves by asking a government of looters to refine and subsidize our fuel.

What are you saying man?

If you are clueless about a matter, it's not by force that you must comment.
Re: An Open Informal Letter To Beaf On Fuel Subsidy by moshoodn(m): 11:32pm On Oct 11, 2011
Lord, let this subsidy not be removed!
Cos if removed, it would be spent on pleasantries and toiletries and frivolities!
Re: An Open Informal Letter To Beaf On Fuel Subsidy by grandstar(m): 1:27am On Oct 12, 2011
Fuel subsidy is a waste of resources.

The government does not only spend about 1trillion a year but the private sector will not invest in the oil sector unless the price is free. Investment can create a lot of jobs.
Re: An Open Informal Letter To Beaf On Fuel Subsidy by naijaking1: 1:31am On Oct 12, 2011
Once again, let ask all pro-subsidy N/Lers one question:
What do you say to people who are already paying more at the filling stations today than they would if the subsidy is removed
Re: An Open Informal Letter To Beaf On Fuel Subsidy by stormm: 3:22am On Oct 12, 2011
Any link to PPPRA template for petroleum pricing? It will assist in understanding the perspectives on subsidy and the allowances
Re: An Open Informal Letter To Beaf On Fuel Subsidy by aljharem3: 5:19am On Oct 12, 2011
naijaking1:

What do you say to people who are already paying more at the filling stations today than they would if the subsidy is removed

who are the people already paying more today at 65N per litre than they would at 142N per litre ?

becos I do not understand your question
Re: An Open Informal Letter To Beaf On Fuel Subsidy by sartorius(m): 6:16am On Oct 12, 2011
total removal of fuel subsidy would be a disaster awaiting .with one of the highest unemployment rates in the world and the recession caused artificially ny the ineptitude of our leaders why cant the federal goverment buy up some refiniries even abroad that would supply most of the domestic demand, if they cant secure or trust the operators down here

Must we pay fully for their incompetence,

However the over 1 trillion bill is crazy, it even allows the naira to fall more freely. i suggest a review of 80 per litrem if the economy was really growing fast that is minus the oil sector . then prob our budget would be large enough, prob we wouldnt be import dependent.

our leaders are not thinking. the subsidy is the best tax cut to boost productivity
Re: An Open Informal Letter To Beaf On Fuel Subsidy by Demdem(m): 8:05am On Oct 12, 2011
naijaking1:

To be honest, your question is baseless. Tell us where such happens except when there is scarcity and peeps are forced to buy from the black market.
i also av a question for u; Do U STAY AND LIVE IN NIGERIA?
Re: An Open Informal Letter To Beaf On Fuel Subsidy by Nobody: 8:18am On Oct 12, 2011
All those foools supporting fuel removal subsidy, are you guys on cheap dopee or what? very silly ediotz i must say. So you guys are using NL to judge how nigerians react? Foools. Just let the fuel price increase and then Nigeria shuts down, it may not happen by January but give it 6 months and you guys will swear never to support this silly move.
Fooooooooollllllllllllllsssssssssssssss
Re: An Open Informal Letter To Beaf On Fuel Subsidy by Nobody: 8:31am On Oct 12, 2011
GEJ should do whatever he feels is best for Nigeria.

Nigerians gave him the mandate to rule them for the next 4 years - Nigerians should stop complaining and give GEJ government all necessary support and corporation to achieve the aim of the PDP mandate which of course we know it simply means sucking the country dry!

We choose to be the WASHER-MAN DONKEY THAT IS FOOLED TWICE [or is it thrice] so lets accept our faith in good faith!

END OF DISCUSSION!

LET THE FRESH AIR CONTINUE. . .
Re: An Open Informal Letter To Beaf On Fuel Subsidy by aljharem3: 8:37am On Oct 12, 2011
diluminati:

All those foools supporting fuel removal subsidy, are you guys on cheap dopee or what? very silly ediotz i must say. So you guys are using NL to judge how nigerians react? Foools. Just let the fuel price increase and then Nigeria shuts down, it may not happen by January but give it 6 months and you guys will swear never to support this silly move.
Fooooooooollllllllllllllsssssssssssssss

PointB, niajaking and relax101 are not Nigerians but have nigeria ancestry living in the Uk and USA

these people are a wicked set of people and do not care about Nigeria

same with the defualt prime minister Iweala that is been paid 600,000 dollars every month or so apart from other econmic teams she is in.

Iweala does not have Nigeria best intreast at heart. she lived all her life in america where things work for the best at the expence of the world ie africa

while she keeps trying to devalue the Naira I do not know

today SLS increased the value of  Naira

Please beg GEJ not to listen to Iweala

we are an oil producing country and should not be compared to America.

because if america pays 2 dollars per litre should not mean we should do the same

OUR CURRENCIES ARE DIFFERENT and should not be compared
Re: An Open Informal Letter To Beaf On Fuel Subsidy by ejunkie(m): 10:16am On Oct 12, 2011
Crazy silly funny!!!  grin grin grin cheesy cheesy grin

Goodluck's 100 Days in office

[flash=560,315]
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2dPYrOeLVqk[/flash]

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (Reply)

Any Explaination to the dominance of St. Louis Sugars in Nigeria / Sallah: Banks Recorded 278,966 Failed Instant Pay Transactions / As A Next Of Kin, How Do I Close a deceased Bank Account?

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 82
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.