Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,143,236 members, 7,780,458 topics. Date: Thursday, 28 March 2024 at 02:48 PM

Abacha's Regime Was One Of The Best Performing Governments In Our History - Politics - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Politics / Abacha's Regime Was One Of The Best Performing Governments In Our History (16873 Views)

Throwback Photo Of Buhari Under Abacha's Regime / List Of Nigeria's Best Performing Governors Since May 29 Inauguration - CGPI / Under Which Regime Was Corruption At The Highest Level, (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (4) (Reply) (Go Down)

Abacha's Regime Was One Of The Best Performing Governments In Our History by Nobody: 1:50pm On Oct 10, 2011
Abacha's key achievements during is era Nov 1993 - June 1998:

Reducing inflation from 54% to 8%

Maintained value of Naira at N22=$1 (no devaluation )

Did not accept IMF loan due to unfair terms

Played role as regional superpower in Sierra Leone and Liberia

Our country was taken other by crooks and thieves after they poisoned Abacha who was the last patriotic leader we had.

Review Nigeria's history and you would realise where things began to go wrong

Maintained our infrastructure through creation of Petroleum Trust Fund (abolished by Obasanjo)

https://www.nairaland.com/nigeria/topic-693700.0.html
Re: Abacha's Regime Was One Of The Best Performing Governments In Our History by werepeLeri: 1:55pm On Oct 10, 2011
Is someone going crazy?

1 Like

Re: Abacha's Regime Was One Of The Best Performing Governments In Our History by Nobody: 2:14pm On Oct 10, 2011
werepeLeri:

Is someone going crazy?
Nope, Josef Stalin and Hitler are also heroes to some people !

1 Like

Re: Abacha's Regime Was One Of The Best Performing Governments In Our History by KnowAll(m): 2:42pm On Oct 10, 2011
[size=18pt]Let us call a spade, a spade, democracy is meant to the best but the way our folks are going about it they are making it one hell of an experience[/size]

Civilian Atrocities

1. Most of the State’s Civilian Governors help themselves to between 15 and 20 Billion Naira by the end of their respective terms. NO Military Governor would dear try that for fear of the unknown or is it known.  lipsrsealed

2. Abacha only stole $1.2 billion that is a record by Naija standard.  cool

3. How come Naira was exchanging for 80 to 1 through out his regime and now we are heading to N200 to N1.00  undecided

4. It is either JEG is grossly pathetic or Ngozi Iweala is grossly over-rated, or how come under her watch subsidy on petrol is withdrawn, and the Niara is performing abysmally, I know some people would blame the CBN Governor, I am sure the super Minister of Finance should be able to override the CBN Governor.  undecided cool

5. PTF was a success except for the skewed development apportioned towards the North during that era. Same can be said with this regime, 87% of Federal Contracts are currently spent in the South-South. 

6. Look at the Speaker of the House of Reps, he would have to rent a house sold to his predecessor for N40.00 million, meanwhile the house was sold for N45.00 Million to his predecessor. Does this make sense?  undecided lipsrsealed

7. A Governor planning to build 10  Primary and secondary schools for N900.00 million 

8. “I swear we don kolo finish for this country"? undecided

1 Like

Re: Abacha's Regime Was One Of The Best Performing Governments In Our History by Nobody: 5:21pm On Oct 10, 2011
You do not have to take my word for it, it is all a matter of public record, please check for yourself:

I am even wondering whether Abacha really even  stole the 1billion he was accused of.

Could it be real criminal  looters (people like Obasanjo and Babangida ) were using him as a scapegoat to distract the gullible Nigerian public form their massive  criminal looting.

Please Nigerians shine your eyes well well.

Re: Abacha's Regime Was One Of The Best Performing Governments In Our History by Nobody: 5:27pm On Oct 10, 2011
In less than 20 years history is being badly rewritten like this? shocked

1 Like

Re: Abacha's Regime Was One Of The Best Performing Governments In Our History by Nobody: 5:35pm On Oct 10, 2011
wtf

see falling of hand

abacha of sgt rogers , ken saro wiwa , yeaa fame ?

1 Like

Re: Abacha's Regime Was One Of The Best Performing Governments In Our History by Nobody: 5:37pm On Oct 10, 2011
^
Check history for yourself and stop getting it from lies written to confuse you, abeg please check for your self before commenting further.

Re: Abacha's Regime Was One Of The Best Performing Governments In Our History by jmaine: 6:02pm On Oct 10, 2011
GenBuhari don kolo sad

1 Like

Re: Abacha's Regime Was One Of The Best Performing Governments In Our History by Nobody: 6:05pm On Oct 10, 2011
GenBuhari:

^
Check history for yourself and stop getting it from lies written to confuse you, abeg please check for your self before commenting further.

who needs history - i grew up through it

smh

i can still remember those chilling ads that told us abacha was a great leader on the same scale as de gaulle and jfk

we remember the trial of saro wiwa

i remember those agip parties that adopted him as a candidate

and we all remember sgt rogers

u need to peddle this among a much younger audience

1 Like

Re: Abacha's Regime Was One Of The Best Performing Governments In Our History by Nobody: 7:36pm On Oct 10, 2011
@oyb
All you say is also true - you are talking about human rights Abacha was no worst or not much better than Obasanjo or Babangida, but on economic performance you would need to check the facts for yourself - they are a matter of public record.

Despite being being under economic sanctions from Western nations,
he declined IMF conditions for loan,
grew the federal reserves
Maintained the value of Naira at exchange rate of N22=$1 (through his 5years -never devalued Naira 1kobo)
overhauled the corrupt banking system
Reduced inflation from 54% to 8%
brough privatisation policy implemented by Babangida to a gradual stop.
Asserted Nigeria's role as a regional super power

All above a verifiable facts that are a matter of public record:

1 Like

Re: Abacha's Regime Was One Of The Best Performing Governments In Our History by werepeLeri: 7:43pm On Oct 10, 2011
Who introduced bombings to Nigeria? Abacha. How many bombs went off around the South West and his government having to accuse NADECO of the atrocities?

How many people were killed during his regime? Best performing indeed. What standard?

Abegi. Politicking is indeed a bad thing.

1 Like

Re: Abacha's Regime Was One Of The Best Performing Governments In Our History by IbroYaya: 8:13pm On Oct 10, 2011
Only people like GenBuhari can create this type of thread!!

Best "performing government" my foot!!!

1 Like

Re: Abacha's Regime Was One Of The Best Performing Governments In Our History by nku5: 8:18pm On Oct 10, 2011
I don't know about abacha but isn't it obvious that even the military that everybody loves to hate had more discipline in their stealing than these a.s.s holes we have today. For someone to even start a thread like this shows that our leadership since 1999 has not lived up to expectations at all. Someone like ibori make them army boys look like rookies when you talk about scale of corruption.
Re: Abacha's Regime Was One Of The Best Performing Governments In Our History by solajacobs(m): 8:39pm On Oct 10, 2011
Hmnn,
Re: Abacha's Regime Was One Of The Best Performing Governments In Our History by Nobody: 8:51pm On Oct 10, 2011
It is better to argue from a position of knowledge not ignorance:

click the link below and find out for yourself, no need to believe what you hear from liars like Obasanjo, as he is trying to confuse Nigerians to distract us from focussing on fact that he has nearly looted Nigeria dry.

https://www.nairaland.com/nigeria?topic=693700.msg8820027
Re: Abacha's Regime Was One Of The Best Performing Governments In Our History by nolongTing: 11:09pm On Oct 10, 2011
@OP look outside of your window tonight - the moon has turned pink!  tongue tongue

1 Like

Re: Abacha's Regime Was One Of The Best Performing Governments In Our History by Nobody: 6:49am On Oct 11, 2011
^
Why wallow in ignorance?
Why not verify or disprove my assertions before commenting any further?

please click:
https://www.nairaland.com/nigeria/topic-693700.192.html
Re: Abacha's Regime Was One Of The Best Performing Governments In Our History by Abagworo(m): 7:15am On Oct 11, 2011
Why I still regard that regime as the best economically is what they were able to achieve with oil prices ranging from 7dollar to 11dollar per barrel.I see that as an economic miracle going by our rate of borrowing with current oil prices above 80dollars.Imagine if Abacha regime traded oil above 40dollars not to talk of 100.The infrastructure he built for the riverine people is still unequaled till date.

His human right records went sour because he was fighting to remain in power.The opposition were trying to make the country ungovernable for Abacha.Also remember that nadeco were involved in some bombings and there was a fight between Abacha and nadeco.
Re: Abacha's Regime Was One Of The Best Performing Governments In Our History by doctokwus: 7:42am On Oct 11, 2011
Jst because each civilian govt has bn worse dan its predecessor shd not make anyone to come here and become a spin doctor for a despicable regime like dat of Abacha.A. Govt involved in state murder apart from looting with intention of Abacha bcoming a maximum dictator is not one anyone in his right senses shd glorify.
It goes to show that in nigeria,anything goes,won't b surprised if tomorrow somebody starts calling d Boko Haramists as d best thing dat ever happened to nigeria;oh pardon me,somepeople are already calling them so

1 Like

Re: Abacha's Regime Was One Of The Best Performing Governments In Our History by aurenflani: 7:59am On Oct 11, 2011
a leader is someone who provides a social organisation in which his ppl feel relaively secure. he must provide for the weellbeing of his ppl. based on these criteria, abacha is far better than the four who succedded him.
Re: Abacha's Regime Was One Of The Best Performing Governments In Our History by Rgp92: 8:17am On Oct 11, 2011
~Bluetooth:

Nope, Josef Stalin and Hitler are also heroes to some people !
'

Hitler Transform Germany from a third world to a world power in 15 years.
Re: Abacha's Regime Was One Of The Best Performing Governments In Our History by Blackteeth(m): 8:18am On Oct 11, 2011
The OP should have specified and said he is better on the economic aspect only.
Re: Abacha's Regime Was One Of The Best Performing Governments In Our History by werepeLeri: 8:49am On Oct 11, 2011
Abacha/Babangida destroyed the foundation of Nigeria and since then, rebuilding has been tough.

What did he do to the refineries?

What did he do to Education?

What did he do to health?

What did he do to transportation?

What did he do to communications?

What did he do to NEPA?

They institutionalised corruption and all the subsequent governments have tried to crush those institutions - but hey, has it been easy? Nope.

OP - So it no more Buhari now but Abacha?
Re: Abacha's Regime Was One Of The Best Performing Governments In Our History by 4Play(m): 11:18am On Oct 11, 2011
Since independence, we have never had a government that is remotely competent. It's been a tale of unrelenting ineptitude and in assessing Nigeria's Govts, the question is not who was best but who was the least inept. In my view, OBJ's second regime, 1999 - 2007, is the least inept or least objectionable. Shagari's era constitutes the worst of an appalling bunch as we were plunged into economic collapse.

1 Like

Re: Abacha's Regime Was One Of The Best Performing Governments In Our History by coogar: 11:31am On Oct 11, 2011
GenBuhari:

Abacha's key achievements  during is era  Nov 1993 - June 1998:

Reducing inflation from 54%  to 8%

Maintained value of Naira at  N22=$1 (no devaluation )

Did not accept IMF loan due to unfair terms

Played role as regional superpower in Sierra Leone and Liberia

Our country was taken other by crooks and thieves after they poisoned Abacha who was the last patriotic leader we had.

Review Nigeria's history and you would realise where things began to go wrong

Maintained our infrastructure through creation of Petroleum Trust Fund (abolished by Obasanjo)

you have raised a very good point, sir!

all the military regimes have been better than the democratic era in nigeria.
i still don't understand why nigerians think democracy is our solution.
we cannot imitate the west in everything because our tradition/culture and beliefs are very different.

a white man wants to be a president to serve his people. a nigerian wants to be a president so he can be served.
those are two different ambitions and yet we expect jonathan to be like obama or david cameron. it's pure nonsense. there's no way boko haram or sharia would have seen the light of the day under any military era.

mind, i am not saying the military are saints. they are also corrupt but they instil discipline. politicians are more corrupt and they have no discipline at all. i really don't think any democratic government can shape nigeria. we need another idiagbon to lock all the politicians in prison and fight indiscipline with the nation's resources. meet fire with fire and nigerians would sit tight.  until then, it would just be garbage in, garbage out of useless, semi-illiterate politicians ruling nigeria!

1 Like

Re: Abacha's Regime Was One Of The Best Performing Governments In Our History by Nobody: 1:20pm On Oct 11, 2011
@4-play

Obasanjo goverment performed worst than Abacha econimically:

Obasanjo devalued Naira by 500% (five hundred percent!)

Mismanaged and shut down our National Ariline Nigeria Airways.

closed down Abacha's PTF which was maintaining Infrastrcture and presided over the collapse of our power network.

In this first 18months Nigeria went from 27th most corrupt nation to the most corrupt nation in the world.

He increased inflation.

All this dispite having revenue from record high oil prices

On human rights Obasanjo was no better - he killed hundreds of innocent civilians in Odi
Raided news papers that investigated his corrupt practises.

The amount of political assassination during Obasanjo's government was massively increased from Abacha's era.

In short Obasanjo was a disaster for Nigeria
Re: Abacha's Regime Was One Of The Best Performing Governments In Our History by Nobody: 1:39pm On Oct 11, 2011
werepeLeri:

Abacha/Babangida destroyed the foundation of Nigeria and since then, rebuilding has been tough.

What did he do to the refineries?

What did he do to Education?

What did he do to health?

What did he do to transportation?

What did he do to communications?

What did he do to NEPA?

They institutionalised corruption and all the subsequent governments have tried to crush those institutions - but hey, has it been easy? Nope.

OP - So it no more Buhari now but Abacha?

If you ask me, na who I go ask?
Re: Abacha's Regime Was One Of The Best Performing Governments In Our History by kpolli(m): 1:45pm On Oct 11, 2011
I agree wiv this poster
Re: Abacha's Regime Was One Of The Best Performing Governments In Our History by pinkrex(m): 1:48pm On Oct 11, 2011
Too much a big title for such an achievement.

I don't know why everything that begins with Buhari is irrational undecided

1 Like

Re: Abacha's Regime Was One Of The Best Performing Governments In Our History by otokx(m): 1:58pm On Oct 11, 2011
smh
Re: Abacha's Regime Was One Of The Best Performing Governments In Our History by lovejo(m): 2:00pm On Oct 11, 2011
@ op. you said 1$ is 22 naira during abacha regime, but he sold it at black market for 80 naira, if you understand me he takes it out at 22 naira at cbn and sells it at 80 naira to loot money.
He has done some good according to you, but sincerely we are doing better now generally as citizen than then.

(1) (2) (3) (4) (Reply)

Civil Servants Salaries Not Sustainable - Adeosun / You Can’t Probe How I Spent Bailout Funds, Fayose Tells Senate / Iwuanyanwu: 2023 President Must Come From South-East

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 42
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.