Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,143,236 members, 7,780,458 topics. Date: Thursday, 28 March 2024 at 02:49 PM

Civil Engineering: Aspirants And Practitioners - Career - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Career / Civil Engineering: Aspirants And Practitioners (26744 Views)

Poll: Which is more prefered ?

Strutural Engineering: 80% (28 votes)
High-way Engineering: 20% (7 votes)
This poll has ended

Mechatronic Engineers: aspirants and practitioners meet here. / Marine Engineering Aspirants And Practitioners: Any Future? / Electrical Engineering: Aspirants and Practitioners (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (Reply) (Go Down)

Civil Engineering: Aspirants And Practitioners by whitechriz(m): 10:41pm On Oct 10, 2011
This thread is to become a forum where practising Civil Engineers and the aspiring ones can interact. I fall under the aspiring group so I hope for a situation where the professionals can give us, the aspiring ones, an insight as to what is expected of us as graduates and what we can expect from the labour market. Feel free to post any related comments regardless of your level.

THANKS

3 Likes 1 Share

Re: Civil Engineering: Aspirants And Practitioners by AjanleKoko: 11:12pm On Oct 10, 2011
That opening post reads vaguely familiar grin
Re: Civil Engineering: Aspirants And Practitioners by ajafex10(m): 9:49am On Oct 17, 2011
The other day I was listening to a radio program when Etisalat gave 300 second and third year Electrical/electronics and computer engineering students of various Nigerian Universities scholarships for excellence. According to the company rep who came on the show, the students were chosen based on the relevance of their courses of study to what etisalat does.
There is no gainsaying that this gesture will further encourage Nigerian students to be more productive. I encourage the numerous companies in our construction industry to emulate the Etisalat example and help motivate our young and aspiring civil/structural engineers to excel.
Etisalat ha only spent but a few years in this country. Companies like Julius Berger, R.C.C, and the like have been here forever and yet, their contributions to the development of the sector they operate from is minimal.
This is a food for thought.

3 Likes

Re: Civil Engineering: Aspirants And Practitioners by yusufu16: 12:38pm On Nov 09, 2011
I HAVE BEEN LONGING TO THIS THREAD. LETS SHARE IDEAS AND EXPERIENCE. [b]WILL SOON START AUTOCAD CIVIL 3D SOFTWARE TUTORIAL[/b]ON THIS THREAD
Re: Civil Engineering: Aspirants And Practitioners by struguru: 1:06pm On Nov 09, 2011
Hello all,

I am a practicing Structural Engineer and its nice to interact with you here. I will post more later. For now, feel free to ask me any Civil / Structural Engineering question and I will attempt to answer as much as I can.

3 Likes 1 Share

Re: Civil Engineering: Aspirants And Practitioners by eminemkayc: 1:33pm On Nov 09, 2011
Hello all,

I am a practicing Structural Engineer and its nice to interact with you here. I will post more later. For now, feel free to ask me any Civil / Structural Engineering question and I will attempt to answer as much as I can

q1) what is the diffference between a FIXED, ROLLER and PINNED support explain with practical examples

q2) in the design of a solid slab panel, what do we mean by implying that a panel is ONE WAY spanning or TWO way spanning. . what does that mean? (intelligent engineering explanation needed)

q3) when in a design specification, you read a literature that says "the characteristic stregth of conc. is 35mpa", what does characteristic mat strength mean?

q4) why would a civil engineer, after studyin a geotechnic report, decide to propose a raft foundation over an isolated footing on a site? what basically should inform this decision?

q5) what are the  types of settlement consideration
to consider when sizinG a footing @ SLS?
Q6) NAME at least 3 methods used in analysizng indetermiate structres and the method on which most analytic application like STAAD,SACS runs on?  grin grin

1 Like 1 Share

Re: Civil Engineering: Aspirants And Practitioners by zicky(m): 1:38pm On Nov 09, 2011
pls am luking 4 a gud plc wer i cn do my I.T. A plc wer i'll b involve in d practical aspect, u knw we dnt do any meaningful practical in sch.

1 Like

Re: Civil Engineering: Aspirants And Practitioners by haryourdayG(m): 2:19pm On Nov 09, 2011
Civil engrg is an intrstn course u knw analyzing,designin,planin,constructn n also maintenance f structures,highways,bridges etc.It's great 2 b here.
Re: Civil Engineering: Aspirants And Practitioners by yusufu16: 2:44pm On Nov 09, 2011
eminemkayc:

q1) what is the diffference between a FIXED, ROLLER and PINNED support explain with practical examples [color=#990000]FIXED: does not allow rotational movement and directional movement eg is welded plate in most commmunication tower footing. ROLLER, allows movement only in x direction as the case may be eg bridge pad support

q2) in the design of a solid slab panel, what do we mean by implying that a panel is ONE WAY spanning or TWO way spanning. . what does that mean? (intelligent engineering explanation needed)
in one way slab panel, the main reinforcement(load carrying bar) runs in one direction while in two way spanning, main reinforcement runs in both direction that x and y axis

q3) when in a design specification, you read a literature that says "the characteristic stregth of conc. is 35mpa", what does characteristic mat strength mean?the characteristics strengths is the 21 days strength of a concrete cubes 150mm x 150mm/cylinders of which not more than 5% is expected to fail during the concrete test

q4) why would a civil engineer, after studyin a geotechnic report, decide to propose a raft foundation over an isolated footing on a site? what basically should inform this decision? raft foundation can be suitable where the soil pressure is not distributed uniformly hence his decission for raft foundation could be as a result of differential settlement which could result if isolated pad footing is used.

q5) what are the  types of settlement consideration [/color] to consider when sizinG a footing @ SLS? differential settlement and consolidation settlemenet should be considered
Q6) NAME at least 3 methods used in analysizng indetermiate structres and the method on which most analytic application like STAAD,SACS runs on?  grin grinmost structural analysis and design software use the finite element method FEM) in their design, others matrix method, energy method etc

hope i try

8 Likes

Re: Civil Engineering: Aspirants And Practitioners by eminemkayc: 2:53pm On Nov 09, 2011
EXCELLENT, EXCELLENT!! YOU'RE very brilliant. you got the questions EXACTLY. . But just to mention that a two way spanning panel is defined as such, cos of what u mentioned but which arises as a result of out of plane biaxial bending of the plate. . . i.e to say two ways slabs are subjected to bending moments in two directions, hence the reinforcing in both ways

then most of the design apps are written to run on structural stiffeness matrix equations and plates analysed with finite element menthods. . . UR A SMART CHAP!! smiley

3 Likes

Re: Civil Engineering: Aspirants And Practitioners by yusufu16: 3:12pm On Nov 09, 2011
eminemkayc:

EXCELLENT, EXCELLENT!! YOU'RE very brilliant. you got the questions EXACTLY. . But just to mention that a two way spanning panel is defined as such, cos of what u mentioned but which arises as a result of out of plane biaxial bending of the plate. . . i.e to say two ways slabs are subjected to bending moments in two directions, hence the reinforcing in both ways

then most of the design apps are written to run on structural stiffeness matrix equations and plates analysed with finite element menthods. . . your A SMART CHAP!! smiley

Thank u for the correction sir noted. IM a young graduate of civil engineering with interest in Highway/Transportation and Structures. HAVE U ANY INFORMATION ABOUT GPS CONTROLLED GRADERS, EXCAVATORS, SCRABERS. i was fascinated by the recent technological development in the construction industries. soon OUR construction equipments will be fully computerised and controlled with remote with unbelievable accuracy.
Re: Civil Engineering: Aspirants And Practitioners by tunene: 4:11pm On Nov 09, 2011
yusufu16:

q1) what is the difference between a FIXED, ROLLER and PINNED support explain with practical examples FIXED: does not allow rotational movement and directional movement eg is welded plate in most communication tower footing. ROLLER, allows movement only in x direction as the case may be eg bridge pad support

in one way slab panel, the main reinforcement(load carrying bar) runs in one direction  while in two way spanning, main reinforcement runs in both direction that x and y axis

q3) when in a design specification, you read a literature that says "the characteristic stregth of conc. is 35mpa", what does characteristic mat strength mean?the characteristics strengths is the 21 days strength of a concrete cubes 150mm x 150mm/cylinders of which  not more than 5% is expected to fail during the concrete test

q4) why would a civil engineer, after studyin a geotechnic report, decide to propose a raft foundation over an isolated footing on a site? what basically should inform this decision? raft foundation can be suitable where the soil pressure is not distributed uniformly hence his decission for raft foundation could be as a result of differential settlement which could result if isolated pad footing is used.

q5) what are the  types of settlement consideration
to consider when sizinG a footing @ SLS? differential settlement and consolidation settlemenet should be considered
Q6) NAME at least 3 methods used in analysizng indetermiate structres and the method on which most analytic application like STAAD,SACS runs on?  most structural analysis and design software use the finite element method FEM) in their design, others matrix method, energy method etc

hope i try

Yes you tried but further to the comments made by eminemkayc, see below,
q1: The welded plate is actually a pin. The plate is only welded to the steel superstructure and not the concrete substructure so no moment is transferred between the steel and the concrete. A concrete column reinforcement placed under a concrete mat reinforcement is a good example of a fixed support. It transfer moments to the foundation. That is the reason why you need to be careful in your detailing and construction practices. Also a normal column to pad or raft beam connection has a great element of fixity. It is only for the reason of manual analysis (calculations) that the assumption that only "axial load is transferred" is made.

q3: it is after 28days not 21. Also 100mmx100m cubes are acceptable (by standards) though the usual practice is 150mmx150mm. It should also be known  that this value is compressive strength as the values for tensile strength are different and quoted differently. You also mention cylinder, also note the values for cylinders are different as cubes and cylinders do not produce the same result. And that is why you see quotes like C12/15 or C20/25 showing cylinder/cube respectively. In the latest eurocodes, the value for the cylinder is what is used for design.

q4: On this also, one major reason is the soil pressures, if the soil bearing capacity is relatively low (subject to area covered by pad), you would have to use raft instead of pad. Also when your pad foundation covers about 2/3 of the building area it becomes uneconomical (cost) and unsafe from geotechnics point of view i.e. the distribution bulb intersect which could also lead to a form of failure, in this case a raft is used. As for differential settlement, don't use a raft when this would occur it would ultimately fail. It is better you use a pile. This needs further analysis.

q6: You are right with the software answers. The easier ones that are used with hand calculations are 3-moment and moment distribution method.

I hope this informs.

4 Likes

Re: Civil Engineering: Aspirants And Practitioners by room702(m): 5:25pm On Nov 09, 2011
i am an experienced civil (highways design and maintenance) engineer. feel free to ask me any questions and i will try my best to answer all the questions to the best of my knowledge
Re: Civil Engineering: Aspirants And Practitioners by Zechy09: 7:04pm On Nov 09, 2011
Nice to see a thread like this, I work as a subsea engineer, my field deals with structural and mechanical engineering. I was wondering why structural engineering is hot in the UK but not in Naija. I worked a bit with finite element analysis softwares like Flexcom, Orcaflex etc. I keep wondering why we don't do a lot of analysis in Naija. I wish the sector will develop fast.
Re: Civil Engineering: Aspirants And Practitioners by rasputinn(m): 8:03pm On Nov 09, 2011
eminemkayc:

q1) what is the diffference between a FIXED, ROLLER and PINNED support explain with practical examples

q3) when in a design specification, you read a literature that says "the characteristic stregth of conc. is 35mpa", what does characteristic mat strength mean?

q4) why would a civil engineer, after studyin a geotechnic report, decide to propose a raft foundation over an isolated footing on a site? what basically should inform this decision?

q5) what are the types of settlement consideration
to consider when sizinG a footing @ SLS?
Q6) NAME at least 3 methods used in analysizng indetermiate structres and the method on which most analytic application like STAAD,SACS runs on? grin grin

Cheeky
Re: Civil Engineering: Aspirants And Practitioners by rasputinn(m): 8:06pm On Nov 09, 2011
yusufu16:

Thank u for the correction sir noted. IM a young graduate of civil engineering with interest in Highway/Transportation and Structures. HAVE U ANY INFORMATION ABOUT GPS CONTROLLED GRADERS, EXCAVATORS, SCRABERS. i was fascinated by the recent technological development in the construction industries. soon OUR construction equipments will be fully computerised and controlled with remote with unbelievable accuracy.
GPS-controlled?? shocked shocked shocked,please.The time it will take to get the coordinates and what not,please we're doing okay with fully manned heavy equipment
Re: Civil Engineering: Aspirants And Practitioners by alpontif(m): 8:08pm On Nov 09, 2011
people, due to unforeseen logistical complications, and the security situation in Nigeria, especially Abuja, the said Csc orion training has been cancelled.
Re: Civil Engineering: Aspirants And Practitioners by ushafe(m): 8:09pm On Nov 09, 2011
i appreciate a thread like this that talk about my profession, am from nigeria, a fresh graduate of civil engineering, am interested on structures , subsea and hydrualic structural works .e.t.c, pls is there any person here that can be of help in terms of job? My contacts, ushafe@yahoo.com or 08062679663
Re: Civil Engineering: Aspirants And Practitioners by rasputinn(m): 8:19pm On Nov 09, 2011
ajafex10:

Etisalat ha only spent but a few years in this country. Companies like Julius Berger, R.C.C, and the like have been here forever and yet, their contributions to the development of the sector they operate from is minimal.
This is a food for thought.

Civil engineering is not limited to construction companies,virtually all companies that operate in all of the sectors of the economy have facilities departments manned by civil engrs,I dont even want to mention the oil and gas sector but let me inform you that in the past 9 years,no sector has employed more civil engrs nor has any sector indeed given civil engrs that break on such a widespread scale than the Telcos or their numerous TSPs.

Personally,part of my company's forte is the provision of civil infrastructure for Telcos in addition to our tradition construction jobs and over 90% of the engrs that have worked for or that are working for me are civil engrs.The horizon indeed is broad.

Anytime I'm on a local flight,and the aircraft is on descent ,I always look out the window to see the vast undeveloped land mass we have in the country:more work for the civil engr  wink wink cheesy

2 Likes

Re: Civil Engineering: Aspirants And Practitioners by SPIFF(m): 8:33pm On Nov 09, 2011
Am a water and public health Engineer. A division of Civil engineering. I also deal in geotechnics. In case you also need my service, you can contact me on deji@kirksmartins.com or check our website, www.kirksmartins.com
Re: Civil Engineering: Aspirants And Practitioners by yusufu16: 9:02pm On Nov 09, 2011
rasputinn:

GPS-controlled?? shocked shocked shocked,please.The time it will take to get the coordinates and what not,please we're doing okay with fully manned heavy equipment
GPS controlled - it doesnt use conventional GPS. But GPS is part of the design of the equipment most recent construction equipments have provision for GPS. It also has GPS Correction equipment, GPS measuring stick and GPS excavation systemn. Its fast because off the GPS Correction equipment which sends the correct coordinates to the GPS measurement stick or GPS excavation as the case may be. its faster and more accurate compared to manned equipment
Re: Civil Engineering: Aspirants And Practitioners by rasputinn(m): 9:08pm On Nov 09, 2011
yusufu16:

GPS controlled - it doesnt use conventional GPS. But GPS is part of the design of the equipment most recent construction equipments have provision for GPS. It also has GPS Correction equipment, GPS measuring stick and GPS excavation systemn. Its fast because off the GPS Correction equipment which sends the correct coordinates to the GPS measurement stick or GPS excavation as the case may be. its faster and more accurate compared to manned equipment

I know the equipment you're talking of,I've seen some of them at some trade shows and exhibitions I attended,what I'm saying is,,,,,well never mind
Re: Civil Engineering: Aspirants And Practitioners by Estiimable(m): 10:18pm On Nov 09, 2011
@tunene, where are you based and how can i reach you? This is my email ad: estimabledavinci@yahoo.com
Re: Civil Engineering: Aspirants And Practitioners by TayoD1(m): 10:19pm On Nov 09, 2011
@rasputinn,

I totally agree with you about the role of the Telecoms in helping out the civil engineering profession in Naija.  I started my civil engineering career at AIM Consultants in Lagos, a design engineering firm before I moved to one of the big two consultants for the Telcos. Yep, there was a lot to do as I travelled the length and breadth of Naija for the roll out plans.  I don't know, nor do I anticipate that the pace of construction will remain the same today.  As may be expected though, the need for facility maintenace crew will secure future work load for civl engineers and allied professionals.

Indeed, civil engineering spans across every area of our economic life.  Anywhere there is a built environment, you will find the civil engineer.  I currently work in the energy industry designing and building high voltage transmission lines.  With the need to find new energy sources which are mostly removed from urban areas, I have been very busy here in the US putting my skills for designing and building transmission lines and susbstations to work.  I never anticipated that I will be working in this field, but it has been and continue to be a very rewarding experience for me.
Re: Civil Engineering: Aspirants And Practitioners by Estiimable(m): 11:40pm On Nov 09, 2011
Most Nigerian civil engineering graduates are not well equipped to face the challenges before them when they leave school and this has forced many to perch in other sectors that is less challenging. I happen to be a graduate with the potential of venturing into and at the same time, taking structural designing and geotechnical analysis to another level, here in Nigeria. Let's join in improving the "mother" of all engineering in our dear nation.

What are the best structural designing softwares available and how can i get them?
Also, do anyone know websites where i can get PDF materials to aid in structural designing? I reside in Awka,Anambra State.

Thanks for your contributions, Zechy09, rasputinn and Tayo_D. I'll like to get in touch with you guys, this is my email ad: estimabledavinci@yahoo.com[/color][color=#000099][color=#000099][/color]

2 Likes

Re: Civil Engineering: Aspirants And Practitioners by Kwinjane(f): 2:22am On Nov 10, 2011
If u need the services of a civil engr mail me baby_dild@yahoo.com thanks.
Re: Civil Engineering: Aspirants And Practitioners by akin003(m): 7:27am On Nov 10, 2011
a thread or forum of this nature makes a lot of sense.however, am sure d flow of pertinent,essential and reliable info would be of tremendous utility to all. Case in point: data as to current earning across industries,diversificatn roles(facilty management,reserviour,project management,HSE),civil engr trends,job opportunities etc
i hope we all av a blast as ds forum progresses! grin
Re: Civil Engineering: Aspirants And Practitioners by BobDel: 7:38am On Nov 10, 2011
My Fellow Colleagues,
I am really impressed with your contribution on this thread but one thing is this, the society and the country we live
in does not reward anyone for anything. As a registered & practicing civil engineer, it is quiet unfortunate to still see that
I cannot help the up coming ones because of the situation one finds himself (I mean working for a one person setup).
From my 15yr experience, I have moved about the street for 5yr as a freelancer, 5yrs as an instructor(teaching mathematics & soliciting
for building (structural) designs from architects which made me to improve very well in designs that I never took serious in my school days.
For the remaining 5yrs, I have find myself in the Energy & Power sector (TL & SS construction). Civil engineering is dynamic and every professional
aspirant must buckle up to the challenges ahead. Really, it is not easy to stand alone in this profession if you want to talk big but as soon as you
grow in knowledge in one of the areas then you can incorporate others to work together as a team. Do not limit yourself to any area in this noble
profession. All you just need is keep doing it and you will be surprise to meet yourself somewhere someday.
@Tayo-D, I see you as my colleague in this sector, please let pave ways for the up coming ones.
I welcome practical questions on TL/SS projects.
Re: Civil Engineering: Aspirants And Practitioners by eminemkayc: 8:51am On Nov 10, 2011
q1: The welded plate is actually a pin. The plate is only welded to the steel superstructure and not the concrete substructure so no moment is transferred between the steel and the concrete. A concrete column reinforcement placed under a concrete mat reinforcement is a good example of a fixed support. It transfer moments to the foundation. That is the reason why you need to be careful in your detailing and construction practices. Also a normal column to pad or raft beam connection has a great element of fixity. It is only for the reason of manual analysis (calculations) that the assumption that only "axial load is transferred" is made.

q3: it is after 28days not 21. Also 100mmx100m cubes are acceptable (by standards) though the usual practice is 150mmx150mm. It should also be known that this value is compressive strength as the values for tensile strength are different and quoted differently. You also mention cylinder, also note the values for cylinders are different as cubes and cylinders do not produce the same result. And that is why you see quotes like C12/15 or C20/25 showing cylinder/cube respectively. In the latest eurocodes, the value for the cylinder is what is used for design.

q4: On this also, one major reason is the soil pressures, if the soil bearing capacity is relatively low (subject to area covered by pad), you would have to use raft instead of pad. Also when your pad foundation covers about 2/3 of the building area it becomes uneconomical (cost) and unsafe from geotechnics point of view i.e. the distribution bulb intersect which could also lead to a form of failure, in this case a raft is used. As for differential settlement, don't use a raft when this would occur it would ultimately fail. It is better you use a pile. This needs further analysis.

q6: You are right with the software answers. The easier ones that are used with hand calculations are 3-moment and moment distribution method.

I hope this informs.

The bolded part has confused many engineers in the past and as someone that has been into structural and dynamic mathematically analysis, research and design for more than half of my years on earth, il like to make something clear.
Now a support is deemed FIXED if it is TOTALLY restrained in linear distortion (in all directions, depending on the Cartesian plane of analysis i.e 2D or 3D) as well as rotation, that is to say that its flexural rigidity(EI) is nearly infinite. if the support point should rotate, then failure would occur. now because that support can neither translate nor rotate, there are reactions and moments (in accordance with newton's 3rd law). Now in the construction of a connection between a steel stanchion for instance and a concrete plinth, the plate, would be welded to the plinth and the CONNECTION would be made possible with the use of an ANCHOR BOLT. Now the anchor bolt - plinth connection would determine if that connection point is FIXED, PINNED or PARTIALLY restrained
leme explain
now if the anchor bolt washers and bolts are connected above and beneath the plate such that there is a gap between the anchor bolt and the conc. plinth, that support is PINNED or PARTIALLY RESTRAINED(meaning that it could loose some part of its moment but still have d net moment acting on it and if that moment occurs, it fails. the influence line necessary to cause a unit rotation for instance is 4EI/L) , because that support point can neither displace vertically or horizontally, BUT could undergo appreciable bending without the pull out tensional forces causing complete failure of the joint

in another instance, if the anchor bolt conc connection is set and cast using polystyrene plugs or other means such that the plate is on top of the conc. and the bolts are completely tightened with its washers to about 80% of it strength, then that connection is completely RESTRAINED and is a FIXED SUPPORT for that point has been made FIXED due to its construction and CANNOT rotate so there MUST be a moment there tryin to rotate that connection point. and if this moment is not designed against and is successful, the stanchion would collapse. . .

The summary is, engineers MUST understand the theoritical basis of any engineering analysis and MUST as well have good construction experience backed with intelligent understanding of the behavior of rigid bodies subjected to external/internal force distribution!!!

- eminemkayc
(Engineering & Mathematical Research fellow, O&G)

2 Likes

Re: Civil Engineering: Aspirants And Practitioners by tunene: 11:00am On Nov 10, 2011
eminemkayc:

The bolded part has confused many engineers in the past and as someone that has been into structural and dynamic mathematically analysis, research and design for more than half of my years on earth, il like to make something clear.
Now a support is deemed FIXED if it is TOTALLY restrained in linear distortion (in all directions, depending on the Cartesian plane of analysis i.e 2D or 3D) as well as rotation, that is to say that its flexural rigidity(EI) is nearly infinite. if the support point should rotate, then failure would occur. now because that support can neither translate nor rotate, there are reactions and moments (in accordance with newton's 3rd law). Now in the construction of a connection between a steel stanchion for instance and a concrete plinth, the plate, would be welded to the plinth and the CONNECTION would be made possible with the use of an ANCHOR BOLT. Now the anchor bolt - plinth connection would determine if that connection point is FIXED, PINNED or PARTIALLY restrained
leme explain
now if the anchor bolt washers and bolts are connected above and beneath the plate such that there is a gap between the anchor bolt and the conc. plinth, that support is PINNED or PARTIALLY RESTRAINED(meaning that it could loose some part of its moment but still have d net moment acting on it and if that moment occurs, it fails. the influence line necessary to cause a unit rotation for instance is 4EI/L) , because that support point can neither displace vertically or horizontally, BUT could undergo appreciable bending without the pull out tensional forces causing complete failure of the joint

in another instance, if the anchor bolt conc connection is set and cast using polystyrene plugs or other means such that the plate is on top of the conc. and the bolts are completely tightened with its washers to about 80% of it strength, then that connection is completely RESTRAINED and is a FIXED SUPPORT for that point has been made FIXED due to its construction and CANNOT rotate so there MUST be a moment there tryin to rotate that connection point. and if this moment is not designed against and is successful, the stanchion would collapse. . .

The summary is, engineers MUST understand the theoritical basis of any engineering analysis and MUST as well have good construction experience backed with intelligent understanding of the behavior of rigid bodies subjected to external/internal force distribution!!!

- eminemkayc
(Engineering & Mathematical Research fellow, O&G)

Thanks eminemkayc for your contribution. When I said no moment transfer, I meant for the sake of manual analysis. Of course in reality except for roller supports, nearly all supports transfer some amount of momemt. One important thing is construction experience added to your detailing experience would make you a good designer. When I said construction experience I mean construction experience acquired by doing and not by reading. They are different. Same applies to detailing.

Meanwhile, I can see you are a research fellow in the oil and gas environment, what is your area of research, it may be of interest to me and some other people in this forum.

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (Reply)

Should I Dump My Bsc Degree To Be A Mechanic Apprentice? / 2,000 Visafone Workers Fired As MTN Completes Acquisition / How Much S The Startin Salary For Telecommunication Engineers In Nigeria Telecom

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 113
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.