Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,140,668 members, 7,770,845 topics. Date: Tuesday, 19 March 2024 at 03:04 PM

Yoruba Mythology - Culture (2) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Culture / Yoruba Mythology (117149 Views)

Fulani/fulbe Traditional Beliefs And Mythology / Lucifer As The Olósí (not Esu)of Yorùbá Mythology / Fulani/ Hausa Myths, Mythology And Legends (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: Yoruba Mythology by AndreUweh(m): 8:50pm On Oct 14, 2011
Moonlight stories are so much here. These are all false attempt to ensure that Ife or Yorubaland is the craddle of civilization. Yet before the first bicycle in Yorubaland, In Obodo Oyibo, they were already flying in the skies.
Don't be deceived guys.
Re: Yoruba Mythology by aljharem3: 8:56pm On Oct 14, 2011
Andre Uweh:

Moonlight stories are so much here. These are all false attempt to ensure that Ife or Yorubaland is the craddle of civilization. Yet before the first bicycle in Yorubaland, In Obodo Oyibo, they were already flying in the skies.
Don't be deceived guys.

How does this relate to yorubaland as the craddle of civilization ?

did you read the thread at all

Mythology = craddle of civilization ? makes no sense

2 Likes

Re: Yoruba Mythology by tpia5: 9:14pm On Oct 14, 2011
Andre uweh

i'm not sure what your grouse is here.

Its simply a thread about yoruba mythology. I believe every culture in the world has its own myths and legends so what exactly is annoying you.

I've known about greek, roman and many other european legends since i was small, like every other person. So it is not a big deal to know the indigenous ones as well. The same oyibos who taught us there own did not say they object to us knowing ours. Lets not be whiter than the white man plz. And you can start a thread on igbo mythology if you so desire.

even the arab mythology wasnt left out. Sinbad, tales from the arabian nights, scheherazade, etc.

5 Likes

Re: Yoruba Mythology by tpia5: 9:16pm On Oct 14, 2011
The only problem i have is why did the op decide to start the thread by showing a picture of esu.

Lets stop being small minded, thanks.
Re: Yoruba Mythology by lakal(m): 11:03pm On Oct 14, 2011
In traditional Yoruba mythology, Esu is not the devil.

1 Like 1 Share

Re: Yoruba Mythology by tpia5: 11:11pm On Oct 14, 2011
^Be that as it may, there's still no need to start the thread with an eshu image.

Those who want to worship or discuss eshu either as the devil or as something else, can do that on another thread, not a general one like this.

The point remains the op did not need to do the above.

Worshippers of eshu will sooner or later make up their minds if he's the devil or egbesu or not, but in the meantime those of us who are interested in the anthropological aspect of these myths, would like to do so without unnecessary narrowmindness standing in our way.
Re: Yoruba Mythology by exotik: 11:23pm On Oct 14, 2011
Kilode?!:

Good job

But I guess you are copying them from a "diasporan" source with all the sc, sh, c and dd spellings? Mainstream Yoruba don't use those spellings.

It's ok though, the Latin alphabet is not ours anyway.

Well done.

Yemaja = Yemoja

Shakpana <---- that "K stress" is sacrilegious. We allow our Midwestern cousins ( old Bendelites) to use it, that's all. But don't let elders see it. It can cause heart attack.

Kpele

Like S L Akintola famously said: Ki a ni "K" nse ninu A[b]K[/b]pata?

~What the hell is the letter "K" doing in the name "Apata".

actually, the correct spelling is Akpata.

if the "yorubas" were not smart enough to develop a writing system, then they have no authority on how a word should be spelt.

kpele.
Re: Yoruba Mythology by tpia5: 11:29pm On Oct 14, 2011
The correct spelling is apata.

Adding k before p isnt yoruba and usually people who do that arent yoruba either.

Same way there's no ch or z in the language.

Lets not be whiter than whites plz.
Re: Yoruba Mythology by exotik: 11:35pm On Oct 14, 2011
the correct spelling is akpata, except it is not the same word we are talking about.

Adding k before p isnt yoruba and usually people who do that arent yoruba either.

i can dig that.

Lets not be whiter than whites plz.

what does that even mean? and if im not mistaken, werent u the one who claimed to be white in one of your posts?
Re: Yoruba Mythology by Nobody: 11:45pm On Oct 14, 2011
@Op

Interesting! Thanks for those posts.

Can you help with Yoruba letterings?
Re: Yoruba Mythology by jason123: 12:09am On Oct 15, 2011
Lovely!!!
The Itsekiris and the Edos (I think undecided. Pls, don't hesitate to correct me) use "Ifa" while the Uhrobos use "Epha".
Re: Yoruba Mythology by jason123: 12:10am On Oct 15, 2011
Thanks Alj harem. Nice pics!
Re: Yoruba Mythology by jason123: 12:10am On Oct 15, 2011
Andre Uweh:

Don't be deceived guys.

Bad belle! grin wink

1 Like

Re: Yoruba Mythology by Adexchelsea19(m): 12:19am On Oct 15, 2011
Very interesting!
Re: Yoruba Mythology by Nobody: 12:40am On Oct 15, 2011
Andre Uweh:

Don't be deceived guys.
Coming from a man whose ethnic claimed to have existed before Adam and that the Garden of Eden is located in iboland ? shocked shocked Y'all can't be JEWS cuz ibos are fu-cking NEGROES !
look before you leap next time !

1 Like

Re: Yoruba Mythology by sizzlers(m): 12:42am On Oct 15, 2011
long story, i will continue latter
Re: Yoruba Mythology by Nobody: 12:51am On Oct 15, 2011
@OP, Thanks for posting this thread. So rich, Yoruba myth is begging to be represented in a Hollywood film or animation. I can come with a script and a plot but I need a director and a producer, I cringe when fellow Africans place much emphasis on Greek mythology ( or any non-African) over theirs. I actually think ours is much more interesting because we can connect with it,

1 Like

Re: Yoruba Mythology by tpia5: 1:04am On Oct 15, 2011
exotik:

the correct spelling is akpata, except it is not the same word we are talking about.

that's not a yoruba spelling.

its like saying schell is the correct spelling for shell.
Re: Yoruba Mythology by exotik: 1:09am On Oct 15, 2011
and that is your yoruba opinion.
Re: Yoruba Mythology by Nobody: 1:09am On Oct 15, 2011
~Bluetooth:

Coming from a man whose ethnic claimed to have existed before Adam and that the Garden of Eden is located in iboland ? shocked shocked Y'all can't be JEWS cuz ibos are fu-cking NEGROES !
look before you leap next time !
Why waste time on somebody who doesn't understand the meaning of myth?
Re: Yoruba Mythology by Nobody: 1:14am On Oct 15, 2011
obo_man:

@OP, Thanks for posting this thread. So rich, Yoruba myth is begging to be represented in a Hollywood film or animation. I can come with a script and a plot but I need a director and a producer, I cringe when fellow Africans place much emphasis on Greek mythology ( or any non-African) over theirs. I actually think ours is much more interesting because we can connect with it,
I quite agree there is a lot to explore in the areas of story telling packaging them into animations. Walt Disney needs to do some animation works on this side of African mythology and it is very rich!

1 Like

Re: Yoruba Mythology by Kilode1: 1:15am On Oct 15, 2011
exotik:

actually, the correct spelling is Akpata.

if the "yorubas" were not smart enough to develop a writing system, then they have no authority on how a word should be spelt.

kpele.

-Shrugs-

One simple advice, if you choose to spell it with a "K" try to avoid elderly Yoruba Puritans. Their Igbati can be deadly  grin

1 Like

Re: Yoruba Mythology by Nobody: 1:17am On Oct 15, 2011
^^^^
What's Igbati,please?How do one pronounce it?
Re: Yoruba Mythology by ektbear: 1:19am On Oct 15, 2011
That artwork is gorgeous.
Re: Yoruba Mythology by exotik: 1:20am On Oct 15, 2011
Kilode?!:

-Shrugs-

One simple advice, if you choose to spell it with a "K" try to avoid elderly Yoruba Puritans. Their Igbati can be deadly  grin

lol, as if so-called elderly yoruba puritans can read.
Re: Yoruba Mythology by Nobody: 1:22am On Oct 15, 2011
ékaro o! That I know so well, at least my paternal uncle uses that often for my father whenever he visits my family.
Re: Yoruba Mythology by exotik: 1:24am On Oct 15, 2011
and btw, why havent so-called elderly yoruba "puritans" corrected the yoruba word itself?

if Yemaja was quickly corrected to Yemoja
then, Yoruba should be Yoruba.

at least the ibos have corrected ibo to igbo ,

but nah, yoruba puritans cannot be bothered to correct the most important word in their identity but want to tell us the correct spelling of Akpata.
Re: Yoruba Mythology by Kilode1: 1:24am On Oct 15, 2011
exotik:

lol, as if so-called elderly yoruba puritans can read.

Aww he's too young. Sorry I didn't know, ok

Who do you think Ajayi Crowther wrote Yoruba Bible for? Paris Hilton? Abi Queen Victoria? LOL

1 Like

Re: Yoruba Mythology by exotik: 1:29am On Oct 15, 2011
Kilode?!:

Aww he's too young. Sorry I didn't know, ok

Who do you think Ajayi Crowthr wrote Yoruba Bible for? Paris Hilton? Abi Queen Victoria? LOL

so a man called ajayi crowther -- the returneee slave with an english surname is the yoruba puritan?
Re: Yoruba Mythology by Kilode1: 1:32am On Oct 15, 2011
all4naija:

^^^^
What's Igbati,please?How do one pronounce it?

Igbati = Very Hot Slap.

It's usually delivered diagonally across the face in such away that it hits the cheeks, face and that small bony bridge between your nose and forehead all at the same time.  grin

There's a method to it, it's like an art. I don't know how they do it, may you never experience it  embarassed

Igbati = hee gbaa tee!!!  <-- that is the best English pronunciation I can do. I'm no english linguist

(note: Exclamation mark included when pronouncing it) grin

1 Like 1 Share

Re: Yoruba Mythology by ektbear: 1:37am On Oct 15, 2011
Pretty sure that "kp" is not correct in Yoruba. It is just a "p."

"p" in Yoruba is pronounced like "kp" in English.

"p" in English is pronounced like "pee."
Re: Yoruba Mythology by tpia5: 1:39am On Oct 15, 2011
exotik:

and that is your yoruba opinion.

like i said, you place yourself with that spelling.

and if you're not yoruba then why are you getting a headache over yoruba.

se oo nilu ni?

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (Reply)

Ogoja, Cross River Where Cameroonian Mothers Iron Their Daughter's Breast / The Kru People Of Liberia And Cote D'ivoire / Oruko Amutorunwa (generic Names In Yoruba Culture)

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 31
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.